1. Play on the ImDeity Minecraft Multiplayer server -- Goto the "Multiplayer" section of Minecraft and type "mc.imdeity.com" to join!
    Dismiss Notice

Events Re-Invented | New, Shining, Shimmering and Splendid

Discussion in 'Suggestions / Ideas' started by Jackyoung999, April 6, 2014.

?

Events Re-Invented

1. YES

34 vote(s)
    69.4%
  2. NO

15 vote(s)
    30.6%
  1. Jackyoung999

Jackyoung999

In-Game Name:
    SirHandsomeJack
  2. lukecraft01

lukecraft01

• Gold
    In-Game Name:
    lukecraft01
    Ok i like this idea and i voted yes, but i just cant see this server turning into a mini-game server. Also as driver has said, a lot of towns have mini-games that everyone can play and enjoy but eventually people stop going to these mini-games and there is no point in making the developers insert a plugin that might potentially fail. Ithink That the war, spleef and pvp Mini-games will be enough for now. Good idea tho.

3. Tallpines

Tallpines

• Sponsor
    In-Game Name:
    Tallpines
    It doesn't HAVE to turn into a minigame server. It can be a minigame world. Also the way you are saying seems to me that more minigames would ruin the server. Then has FTB ruined the server? No, it has made it better.

heinz_gruber likes this.
  4. lukecraft01

lukecraft01

• Gold
    In-Game Name:
    lukecraft01
    I did not mean it in that way. I meant it in a way that i think we have enough minigames and additional servers that people can be entertained for weeks straight.

5. Typodestoyer

Typodestoyer

In-Game Name:
    Typodestoyer
    First of all, that's because not all servers have the same FTB world. The thing that makes minigame servers work for them is that they use the same games e.g. survival games, and so they don't have to do an excessive amount of work. I, personally, don't see enough of a purpose to adding a game that can easily be played elsewhere, albeit on different maps, just so that people can play it here. If someone is looking for a survival games server, even if we do set a whole system up and either spend weeks coding a custom plugin or use the same one as everyone else, neither of which is particularly appealing to anyone, then we won't exactly be the first choice. I still agree with the purpose of this thread in that events need to be reconsidered as a way of doing something, but I don't understand why survival games on ImDeity is a necessity. The hassle of going somewhere else that, if they are implemented, would have the exact same gameplay is much, much less than the hassle of adding a Survival Games area to ImDeity, which has little, if any, minigames infrastructure other than spleef and PvP. There are two ways that this would be implemented:
    1. We use exact same plugins and different maps. The only distinguishing thing about the way that this would work and the way that other servers' games would work is that these have our own maps. However, the fact that we make our own maps is not a claim that will encourage people who aren't part of the ImDeity community to join for them.
    2. We code a custom plugin. There is much room for improvement on main (rank 3 classes- sticky pistons fingers crossed) and the time that would be spent coding a new plugin would not be worth it, especially given that it very well could fail if people don't like the way the custom plugin runs and want the other streamlined survival games.
    Unless one of the people who wants to play survival games can write a custom plugin, it really isn't worth the effort just to avoid going onto another server with the same people.

lukecraft01 likes this.
  6. heinz_gruber

heinz_gruber

• Sponsor
    In-Game Name:
    heinz_gruber
    Yes other servers have other games, and some the same.

I want us to have the best of everything, including our own custom made games, other than Deity war.

I am speaking of having everything, including Deity war, and also making some new spin off games from the deity war which include my concept idea called "Deity Joust" or "Deity Cavalry"

The point is our server has the best creative minds i have met, and one of the best communities, lets flex our muscles and dominate the server lists by diversifying.

You basically say here, that its fine to go to other servers, but i dont want to do that, i want to keep this one "harder., better, faster, stronger"

On my posts i speak of adding Deity war as the first type of minigame, where players could choose the arena they want to play, when they want to play it.
    I personally think the timed events does more harm than good, when people turn up and say "oh i missed the war again" then 3 rounds play and they cannot be in any of them, and have to wait for a while for the next one.

This way it could be, find a sign, click, play, map ends, rinse and repeat

Again players could donate for a vip war room, or perks maybe.

But the main thing is it would be seperate from main, with its own war chat which cannot bleed onto the main server.

So if we advertise it enough we will get a big stream of players who will blow Deitywar open and increase our player base and votes.

Last edited: April 8, 2014
    Jackyoung999 likes this.
  7. Typodestoyer

Typodestoyer

In-Game Name:
    Typodestoyer
    I disagree. I think that the timed war is a solution to the problem that a server unpopulated by people who come to play minigames face. If war was running all of the time, it would VERY RARELY get the 8 people it needs to play. The reason that war is great fun to play is that you take a break from the stressful other worlds and relax for a few rounds. It is only valuable because it is not unlimited. Once you have unlimited access to something, the chance that eight people will say, "I'm going to play a round of war right now" is very, very low. Even an organized group can only get a very small number of people, compared to the ten-twenty people that often play(ed) war. (Right now, the server is at a low point, so numbers are inaccurate) Team PvP can only stay interesting for so long.
    To address your final statement:
    People do not and will not come to this server for DeityWar. It really is too simple a gamemode (and thank goodness- that's why it's fun) to make people come to the server and vote solely for it.

Driver_X likes this.
  8. Tallpines

Tallpines

• Sponsor
    In-Game Name:
    Tallpines
  9. heinz_gruber

heinz_gruber

• Sponsor
    In-Game Name:
    heinz_gruber

Well i think you are over analyzing it somewhat, the idea is to spread the word of Deity and attract the mini game players, not exclude them from the world of Deity.

Diversify and survive. Be the best. Or we can sit back and do nothing, you still havent told me what other pressing issues this server currently has?

Which is why we want a minigames server and not purely a Deity war server, but Deity war is just an example of some of the "unique" games that we could provide.

People will come to a minigames server IF we advertise, and they will get to hear about the towny side of the server, when they decide they want to make a map for one of our games, and realise they have to register to claim a plot in creative.

xD its a brilliant idea. Dont you see xD

Jackyoung999 likes this.
  10. Typodestoyer

Typodestoyer

In-Game Name:
    Typodestoyer
    I've seen that, and when it's done, maybe then you can ask the developers of the server to do more work?
    I honestly have no idea what pressing issues the server currently has. However, I can name a few reasons why our developers might be working on other things:
    1.What Tallpines said, ironically.
    2.Next rank classes
    3.Having a life.
    4.Fixing things that go wrong.
    5.Updating wiki.

I have no idea what the developers are planning for this server, but whatever it is, given the fact that they, over the past 6 months, (excluding Btarb's flurry of work and disappearance :( ) have done the halloween event, added classes to DeityWar, and added a Feed the Beast server, and it takes time. The thing about every single one of these things is that they are unique, and Survival Games really isn't. I truly believe that no matter how hard ImDeity works, minigame players have no reason to switch which server if we simply incorporate something that most minigames servers have when they also have more minigames that they can play, or Deity will spend lots of time and effort coding each individual minigame, at which point his time could be better spent doing other things.

BarryX15 likes this.
  11. heinz_gruber

heinz_gruber

• Sponsor
    In-Game Name:
    heinz_gruber
    Ok lets go through this,

Might be working on things, thats just assumption. Which doesnt really help.

Firstly i asked because i didnt know extra classes were in the works. but yay

Gwen is the one updating the wiki, so thats not really an issue with regard to coding something not too challenging.

Things will always go wrong, so get people to fix them. This will never change.

Having a life? well i am more than happy to pay for what i am suggesting. And have even discussed the idea of a fund raiser to pay for setting up a minigames server. The whole thing needs to be Discussed thoroughly with Deity, but this is just an idea. But i think its a bloody good one.

But then again the whole point of doing this, is to get money and votes from the minigame players as well as give us all in house games to play.

I am sure Deity wouldnt say no to extra donations, But there is Zero Guarantee he would be interested in what i am suggesting.

Thanks for the Criticisms. it helps make my ideas more water-tight.

But i really do think the main server would benefit from a higher promotion on minestatus or planet minecraft, by getting more votes from the minigame players.

The only reason i am suggesting this, is to improve this server, not to go to another server and play and vote for them.

Jackyoung999 likes this.
  12. Typodestoyer

Typodestoyer

In-Game Name:
    Typodestoyer
    Extra classes are always in the works :p
    They will be out in a year is my guess xD
    Do note that those "might be" why :p but those things, I believe, have prevalence over the idea of a minigame server that may or may not get people from other servers to join.
    but im still curious why you think that minigame players will choose Deity over other servers :3

13. owning254

owning254

In-Game Name:
    owning254
    It's not how mini-games players will choose Imdeity over other servers, but more like how we keep our current players and future players who join the server. Lots of people join the server everyday, but most do not stay. In order to keep the server fresh, we need to come up with new ideas. Criticism is appreciated yes, but know that if no new things come out, you can ensure that it will be bad for the server in the long run. I suggest that if you have something against the idea, you should come up with a better idea and not just say the idea is terrible and nothing new comes out (kinda defeats the purpose of suggesting anyway, yes?)

How heinz has incorporated towns into mini-games plays on how the Imdeity server places a lot of emphasis on the towny plugin. After all, looking at all the different servers (creative, hub, mine, pvp, ftb, main), main still has the most number of people on average, because everyone is looking for a community to play with. Placing a tribute from each town into the games, instead of pitting people from the same town against each other, or letting them team against others who might have less players so on and so forth. You might argue, survival games are only for a small group of people, not all towns can participate, then use a random selection of the towns first, then make a random selection of the people in the town. Rather than pitting 4 people in the same team, against 4 people on different teams, i.e. 4v1v1v1v1. Also, why don't we make a incentive to doing these games, like how there was rewards for deityspleef in the past. It doesn't have to be a lot, I know it affects the economy and everything. But even a small amount is okay, since you're having fun playing these games as well.

And to those who say you can create your own mini-games in main, who plays spleef/pvp in main? It is not automated, so imagine having to replace the snow after every match. How about players with better armor/weapons? It creates a sense of imbalance and makes others feel that the match is unfair.

Of course, the decision will still be made by Imdeity, and only Imdeity, and there are some other factors outside of what we consider other than our entertainment like costs, the time to making pluginsand other issues, but I hope that we will still go along with this because we want to keep Imdeity fresh and interesting.

*Edit* Also, I vote yes.

Jackyoung999 and heinz_gruber like this.
  14. heinz_gruber

heinz_gruber

• Sponsor
    In-Game Name:
    heinz_gruber
    Thats a good question, my response is, my favorite mini games server has gone down the toilet under new ownership. If that is the trend, and other servers do not last as long as Deity does, then why not take advantage by bringing those players and votes to us the next time another games server bites the dust because it isnt owned by Deity xD

I want to Create and offer games that the other minigames servers do not offer, but also include classic favorites like survival games.

So the games i would like to be automated are
    1. spleef
    2. pvp 1 v 1 or 2 v 2 etc ya know like a boxing or wrestling match lol. this could even be expanded into a royal rumble type deal where a new player can enter every 20-30 seconds out of a maximum of 30 players, obviously if you are contestant number 1 you would be at a disadvantage compared to number 30, but hey thats the whole point of a royal rumble
    3. Deity war
    4. Smash bros
    5. Walls
    6. Survival games
    7. (conceptual game ideas) Deity Joust
    8. Deity Calvalry
    9. And a chess lobby xD possibly. probably not. but maybe. lol
    And i am sure that we could come up with many other games too. Yes they would be work, but they would also be fun. xD

Jackyoung999 likes this.
  15. Tallpines

Tallpines

• Sponsor
    In-Game Name:
    Tallpines
    You don't even need plugins for most of the things Heinzs suggested. I can make a fully working Smash Bros minigame with just command blocks

heinz_gruber and lukecraft01 like this.
  16. Typodestoyer

Typodestoyer

In-Game Name:
    Typodestoyer
    I'm not questioning that the server needs to change; I'm simply curious whether or not minigames is the most important way in which to do that. Actually, owning, you bring up a very good point about the fact that many join but few stay. Therefore, the issue is not to attract more people, but to keep more people. This changes a bit of the goal- not to elevate Minestatus votes, as the ads are plenty. We get many people every day, but we need to develop to keep people.
    Heinz:
    I do agree that some events need to be added- I have never denied that fact. One key is to start with the unique games, and once the infrastructure is down, then we can add the survival games/walls, once we have made it easy for ourselves. I think that, while we could come up with many other games, we could also come up with endless lists of lists of lists of things that we would like to happen, and I personally feel that minigames are not on the top of that list, regardless of how close they are.
    Oh trust me, I know. I <3 command blocks. However, command blocks are restricted by Minecraft, so plugins would actually be easier to use and modify, as well as make compatible with other parts of the server. However, it's still a lot of work regardless.

17. heinz_gruber

heinz_gruber

• Sponsor
    In-Game Name:
    heinz_gruber
    This is great, Clearly we have different ideas. But that is a strength, not a weakness.

I also agree with many of your points, But i am eager to bring a dedicated games server into the mix, as townies will always be invested in towns, and gamers will always be interested in games. I would simply like to see more freedom regarding the games we have and could play.

And i would like to see them yesterday ;)

But look at it this way, it would be better to play a game on this server, than go to another one. I am 100% faithful and i dont like the idea of going to a strange server with people i dont know, and not being able to find my way there.

I just had this grand vision the other night that the Deity server became the godfather of all servers by adding more than just new and original ideas, but also old favorites.

Of course Deity has other stuff to do, and he probably would look at the idea of a minigames server and cringe, but another idea i had was to delete the hub world and use a minigames server as the hub where we drop players during main restarts. (that last part was another off the cuff idea, please pick it apart to reveal the goodness) xD but for me i have Zero interest in hub, and during a main restart i could go play a game, if i am on another server i wont know when main is back online.

Or rather than delete the hub, just have both i dont mind if i have the option to have a round of war or spleef while the main resets.

Jackyoung999 likes this.
  18. Typodestoyer

Typodestoyer

In-Game Name:
    Typodestoyer
    Revitalizing hub is quite a good idea, and minigames would be a good way to use the leftover space. I think it would also be a lot of fun to have a mandatory war on the server restarts :p that would be a blast :) but this idea will/would take a lot of time and resources, and to be accomplished it would require patience :p but yeah a games server is a good idea when the work isn't required elsewhere :) and when that is is up to Deity :D

19. heinz_gruber

heinz_gruber

• Sponsor
    In-Game Name:
    heinz_gruber
    I agree with that, But i would still prefer a minigames server in the long run.

Jackyoung999 likes this.
  20. Vershye

Vershye

• Senior Moderator
    • Diamond
    In-Game Name:
    Vershye
    I didn't even read most of this b/c I disagree with quite a bit of it so just stopped reading.

I just wanted to touch on one thing, typo's comment about how we could add SG to the server.

He mentioned a custom SG plugin. We already had this (coded by btarb).
    Towards the end of our run with the DeityGames world we ran a fully custom plugin that generated a brand new world for every different round and completely randomized where the chests spawned and what was in the chests, as well as randomized what the players started with. The only downside of how this plugin ran was that the maps, even though they were completely different each round that happened, was they were just vanilla generated maps. No structures, no big buildings, nothing. Just generic minecraft landscape. I don't like PvP and didn't play it at all, but the biggest comment from people that did play it was that the maps were boring to play on because there really was nothing to explore. Just a mad rush to try and find the chests and hope you got a good item.

The Games lost interest and one of the MC updates broke the plugin, so it got retired.

IF it was to come back, I agree that there should be a lot of custom player built maps that can be played on, BUT, the random chest/item generation needs to be kept in. That is one of the major problems with existing SG maps. The chests are always in the same place and always have the same items. So it's always a mad dash from those that have memorized the maps/locations to get to the good stuff before the others and then dominate the round.