1. Play on the ImDeity Minecraft Multiplayer server -- Goto the "Multiplayer" section of Minecraft and type "mc.imdeity.com" to join!
    Dismiss Notice

The Future of Minecraft?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Trekar_Sil, June 6, 2014.

1. Trekar_Sil

Trekar_Sil

• Diamond
    In-Game Name:
    Trekar_Sil

Pretty important stuff here...

2. lukecraft01

lukecraft01

• Gold
    In-Game Name:
    lukecraft01
    omg.
    No one will want to play minecraft if all of their favorite servers shut down. Parents should really protect their credit card more if they dont want their kids to get ahold of it. i do not think mojang will be stupid enough to close donations for servers. If all of the kind of small but SUPER-FUN servers like imdeity fall, no one will want to purchase or even play minecraft. This will make so many people mad, because some people arent even doing it for the perks, they are doing it to keep the server running, a lot more people will be calling mojang when they do this saying that all of their favorite servers have failed and will want a refund. also donors perks should not be a reason to take one of your parents' credit cards and spend god knows how much money. maybe a better idea is to ask your parents and earn it (what i have been doing for the past 2 months). well to all of the kids who did that, u should ask yourselves 'was it really worth it?' because now, you didnt only get in trouble with your parents, but you lost all of your perks, new donors lost so much money because of you, and everyone that plays on a nice server and has donated and even the people that havent will blame you and hate you for what you did to their favorite server.

3. BarryX15

BarryX15

• Sponsor
    In-Game Name:
    BarryX15
    So i did some research about this...

The current Minecraft EULA is here: https://account.mojang.com/documents/minecraft_eula

see the date, it is half year old. Current rumors are not about changing the EULA, just about Mojang enforcing minecraft users to follow it ("We will ask nicely and then we will send really mean lawyers"). Nobody knows what and when will happen.

Basic problem is that if you DONATE money you are supposed to do it without expecting a reward. If there is a list of perks you get for "donating" money, you PURCHASE these perks. And purchasing anything that is or uses part of Mojang code (basically everything in the game) is against EULA. It has been here since the Minecraft started, and the half year old EULA update just pronounced it more but without any actions so far.

If there will be some actions in future, it is possible that we will have to have different donation system with little to no perks. It will be a real test of our community, but we can profit from it in long term, as many scam servers will be filtered out so good servers will get more new people.

Last edited: June 7, 2014
    Savie2424, Stephfork and Niall4igoe like this.
  4. The_Yogs

The_Yogs

• Sponsor
    In-Game Name:
    The_Yogs
    This would never ever ever never happen. Unless the people of minecraft want to set up some mega server warehouse and charge server administrators half price.

Regardless, we are farrrr away from being an exploitive server.

5. Goober

Goober

• Vip
    In-Game Name:
    EchoedSorrow
    All I have to say on this matter is Mojang will be getting more complaints if they go through with such a dumb approach.

[EDITED: post that was referred to was deleted due to being not child friendly and using extreme langugae ~Gwenhywar]

Last edited by a moderator: June 8, 2014
    Sapkins and asdfjkll like this.
  6. The_Yogs

The_Yogs

• Sponsor
    In-Game Name:
    The_Yogs
    It is true that Mojang can go after servers that make money off their Minecraft. However, when you look at the vast majority of multiplier servers out there, they barely receive the donations to stay afloat (except the obvious abusive ones that Mojang can easily terminate).

I really don't see giving perks based on "donations" something sketchy. It is a "thank you" gesture for helping keep Minecraft successful.

Mojang will continue to never pursue server owners who have made some money (if any). In fact, all their hard work has progressed the Mojang brand itself and it would be quite hypocritical to want all the money ever made for themselves.

By the way, they EULA is horribly written. Who capitalizes "Game" in the middle of every sentence. They don't own that word to abuse it like that!

lukecraft01, Trekar_Sil and moirafae like this.
  7. steveolson

steveolson

• Vip
    Being in the software development for over 18 years now I have seen Microsoft, IBM, Intel and a few others go after companies that use their software for profit and win. So if Mojang really did start doing this you would quick see an usage agreement come out that would lay out what a server can and cannot do with the base program. Then a licensing fee would be needed and and other things similar, it would be similar to the agreement that all players agreed to when they purchased a copy of Minecraft.

Highly doubt it will occur since you can read about how Mojang gives some of it's profits to help poor villages in Africa.

8. Sapkins

Sapkins

• Vip
    In-Game Name:
    Sapkins
    Woa....well Idk what this means for Imdeity Kingdoms, but this is rlly the only server I go to now a days not because of the Perks really but the people who are here and the people who run it... I hope this doesn't affect this server but I know a lot of others who have perks that have mega win items will be affected from reading the eula thingy...
    Well On a better Note The guy in the video plays Magic the Gathering :) Jace the eraser :) up right hand corner lol

9. moirafae

moirafae

• Sponsor
    In-Game Name:
    moirafae
    Actually, since this became a 'thing', Mojang actually put out a statement so as to clarify their position - http://www.minecraftforum.net/news/1355-mojang-announcement-eula-and-servers/

It seems that their real aim is the truly exploitative servers where you are nearly forced to pay for unfairly different levels of access, their stated goal to keep the game from being "pay to win" ... A sort of strange phrase to use for a game of this sort, I think, but I get what they mean. Sponsorship and donation servers are, according to them, just fine within reason. While there are some points I think might be a bit grey area for the server, I'm not too worried.

Beyond that, I agree with Yogs, that our server is very, very far from being the target exploitative server they are worried about.

10. BarryX15

BarryX15

• Sponsor
    In-Game Name:
    BarryX15
    "Pay-to-win" is an interesting concept in Minecraft - would donation make me the best builder ever? :)

heinz_gruber, moirafae and Sapkins like this.
  11. Trekar_Sil

Trekar_Sil

• Diamond
    In-Game Name:
    Trekar_Sil
    I thought you were already :p

heinz_gruber likes this.
  12. MuttiMatti

MuttiMatti

• BANNED
    In-Game Name:
    MuttiMatti
    Isnt mojang going to enforce this by august 1 atleast thats what i read and they already talked with biggest server owners :S

13. heinz_gruber

heinz_gruber

• Sponsor
    In-Game Name:
    heinz_gruber
    I think it would be better for Mojang to develop an online Tutorial for parents on how to raise your children so they do not steal credit cards.

So some kids steal credit cards, therefor the whole system needs changing? hell nawww.

lukecraft01, Tallpines and BarryX15 like this.