1. Play on the ImDeity Minecraft Multiplayer server -- Goto the "Multiplayer" section of Minecraft and type "mc.imdeity.com" to join!
    Dismiss Notice

Stealing, Killing, and 'Griefing' - FTB

Discussion in 'FTB General Discussion' started by Mojinax, March 24, 2014.

1. Dragonslayer314

Dragonslayer314

In-Game Name:
    Dragonslayer314
    I thought that due to the controversy regarding Moji's actions, I would revive this thread. So, what do you guys think?

IMO, there are 2 ways for FTB to be:
    1. Stealing, greifing is allowed. You cannot ALLOW something, but DISCOURAGE it. That means ABSOLUTELY NOTHING. It's allowed, or it's not, and that's all that's really relevant. It's a cutthroat server, so don't complain if you get greifed (current arrangement). If you get greifed, think about it like getting raided on the PvP server - you're allowing them to be a jerk and steal and greif, so that's exactly what they'll do. Excessive jerk-face-i-ness can change your opinion of a player (e.g. how some players acted on the PvP server/in PvP events changed the way I thought about them - apparently a knockback I diamond sword is REALLY valuable, valuable enough to warrant stealing it when I try to have a fair 1v1). All the "Caldera hatez u fsduyiu7b" cannot coexist with this method.
    2. Stealing, greifing isn't allowed. PvP can be on or off. It's another main world, but with mods. Greifing is bannable, etc.
    The current method is an attempt at a mix between the two, and clearly it's failing. If you raid someone's base, don't expect that you'll be the sole source of repercussions. So, people like RLindsey2, keep in mind that it's your association with those players that causes the reaction, and that it's a natural reaction to not care about collateral damage in this case. Associate yourself with people, and you can expect to be collateral damage at one point or another. Now please, accept that the rules are what they are and adjust to them as such.

maxwell25937 likes this.
  2. Mojinax

Mojinax

• VIP
    In-Game Name:
    Mojinax
    Didn't get to read this yet but lol XD going for your 10 requirement posts? This thread is old :p.

3. Dragonslayer314

Dragonslayer314

In-Game Name:
    Dragonslayer314
    :p I figured that since *apparently* this is still a controversial topic, I would revive it. And no, my first 10 posts were MUCH stupider than this.

Veriity likes this.
  4. super_soup

super_soup

In-Game Name:
    super_soup
    As a member of the community you raided, I can say that when I heard what you did I was shocked. Although I wasn't directly effected, I know that a lot of work goes into making and building all the things we have. If mick or Lindsey or Ricky can put in the effort to work for those things, I think other people can to, sure if you find a chest with some food it in and your about to starve, then grab only what you need (like a few loaves of bread). I must admit I've taken some food to save me, but it's always from someone I know, and I always leave a sign saying what I took and why (I.e. I needed some books for a bookshelf). Also giving them the object back later helps show your trustworthy.

Basically what I'm getting at is
    1) don't steal on a large scale
    2) if you HAVE to steal for whatever reason, take only what you need.
    3) leave a sign saying what you took and why.

5. Mojinax

Mojinax

• VIP
    In-Game Name:
    Mojinax
    I'm afraid the statement I quoted doesn't exactly help the case (in the sense that it's biased). As for the rest, you take from your community. That's not stealing or taking, that's borrowing. As for 'taking what you need', I did. I returned what I didn't. In any case, there was a thread for this discussion, and that thread was locked. Try not to bring it here.

6. super_soup

super_soup

In-Game Name:
    super_soup
    But you didn't absolutely need that stuff. Lindsey's diving gear, was that going to be the difference between life and death. But sorry, I'm not intentionally trying to bring it across, just using it as an example.

Tallpines likes this.
  7. Tallpines

Tallpines

• Sponsor
    In-Game Name:
    Tallpines
    I would also like to thank you for completely destroying Spartans base. Oh wait I mean "Barrowed" everything

Alpha_phoenix99 likes this.
  8. Driver_X

Driver_X

In-Game Name:
    Driver_X
    Like Mojinax said, there was a thread for this recent 'situation' you've had and it was closed, this thread focus is to discuss if griefing, raiding and so should or not be allowed in Ftb and any new post that drifts away from it will be deleted - 'thread hijacking/offtopic' - do not waste time replying to current offtopic postings either.

9. ImDeity

ImDeity

• Administrator
    In-Game Name:
    ImDeity
    Note that one of the main reasons for griefing/raiding being allowed in FTB (but frowned upon) is technical.

There is really no good way on FTB / Forge to log player block changes and do rollbacks due to the amount of custom item types and behavior in the packs. If we were to make an anti-griefing rule we wouldn't have a reliable way of tracking down or rolling back changes so it'd be a mostly unenforceable rule.

FaTd33r, thejacoborg and Sephronia like this.
  10. RickyBobby

RickyBobby

• Sponsor
    In-Game Name:
    xRickyBobbyx
    What is in the past is in the past. Make yourself aware of what can be done on FTB and what can't and roll with it. Sure it may upset a few people by certain events but in the end a new day is right around the corner.

FaTd33r and Tallpines like this.
  11. RLindsey2

RLindsey2

• Sponsor
    I guess it was my fault for leaving my stuff out where anybody could get it. Oh wait, I didn't. I had my stuff in a private age with some friends and it was stolen by someone who didn't care and thinks its just fine to help themselves to other people property. Well, lets just say this, Karma is a female dog that's looking for you. :p

RickyBobby and andrewsupermario like this.
  12. deathmetalcop

deathmetalcop

In-Game Name:
    deathmetalcop
    I resent your condescending remarks about my heathen ancestors! :) But I support your overall thesis.

13. RLindsey2

RLindsey2

• Sponsor
    Well the Vikings knew that if they took everything then the villagers would move or die out and thus no longer have anything worth pillaging the next time.

14. Trekar_Sil

Trekar_Sil

• Diamond
    In-Game Name:
    Trekar_Sil
    Do you have evidence to support that thesis?

15. Veriity

Veriity

Reading this, and seeing the level of griefing and the level of the volume of things on the server.. in balance with the number of players.. it's no wonder that there is griefing.

..and by that.. I should say "Raiding". This is a hard core mod pack.. and that's a fun challenge. The food thing is better. But.. after you've played a hard core map, you clearly learn how to get started and how to survive and get yourself established.

Second, you have to ask yourself, what is truly valuable? I game with a big group new to FTB, (MF2) and they take Raiding too far. They took the lightbulbs, the electric cords, everything. Which.. clearly.. is unacceptable.
    When I raid, I raid for things that I can take a portion of, or that are simply too hard to get. Such as.. Well.. Wait. Thaumcraft stuff is useless unless you make it. Diamonds are okay.. but you can create mystcraft worlds with them. ores are okay, but you just have to store them. Then you come back to the fact that you have all the loots... and someone else will want them.

What does that leave you with? Your structure. That's where I draw the line.

I leave out goodie chests. As a person, I was taught to provide for myself, my family, and for my neighbor. So, that's what I do. I have my stuff, extra sets for my team, and I have a chest, unprotected, for people to "loot". I also hide a few chests.. so those that feel as though they are really raiding get a goodie that includes a rare item. (Yeah.. old gamer.. I know how to hide loots)

Beyond that, don't hack up my buildings! I see that more than I see anything else. Frankly, that is what drives me nuts. I see stairs, glass, elevators,, walkways, bridges, etc. destroyed. Covered in lava, etc. I see entire areas just destroyed and filled in with some nonsense. That, I cannot stand.

So.. My gaming group and I have split up. We're each taking on projects of these old builds and refurbishing the structures. Rebuilding where we see it. Replanting. Repairing the forges, and replacing doors. We each have our own buildings.. and we've been killed a *lot* If you see my tombstone.. take it! I've tried.. if it's there.. I can't get it to it. To the victor...

If you want to raid, be my guest. If I find you.. I won't break your buildings (except to get in..) but I will take loots! I may even make a walkway of your loots! I may write my name in snow! Beware! BEWARE!

And be nice :)

~Momma Ver.

BarryX15 and Trekar_Sil like this.
  16. Trekar_Sil

Trekar_Sil

• Diamond
    In-Game Name:
    Trekar_Sil
    I like this, clicking the like link is not enough, must comment this. Too bad there are others who couldn't show similar restraint.

17. Mojinax

Mojinax

• VIP
    In-Game Name:
    Mojinax
    Sooo back to the important matter... I was right?

18. Hallideadly

Hallideadly

• Sponsor
    In-Game Name:
    Hallideadly
    restraint is easy, making the choice to use it is not easy.

Trekar_Sil likes this.
  19. super_soup

super_soup

In-Game Name:
    super_soup
    I'm tempted to call this grave digging...

20. Trekar_Sil

Trekar_Sil

• Diamond
    In-Game Name:
    Trekar_Sil
    It's not, Veriity had a valid post.

BarryX15 likes this.