1. Play on the ImDeity Minecraft Multiplayer server -- Goto the "Multiplayer" section of Minecraft and type "mc.imdeity.com" to join!
    Dismiss Notice

Group Chat Channels

Discussion in 'Suggestions / Ideas' started by Qazz, March 6, 2015.

1. Qazz

Qazz

• Sponsor
    In-Game Name:
    Qazz
    Hello Deityans,

There have been numerous occasions where players have been limited in the number of people they can talk to at once. Either they don't have access to TeamSpeak, they're in different towns, they didn't want to spam global chat/kingdom channels, or they are just in a different location at a given time. This is something that I'm sure most of us have struggled with, which is why I'm proposing the idea of a group chat feature as a donation perk.

This would be another chat channel entirely where a player who has donated is able to start, and name a chat as so:

gc1.png
    (Donator tags would not show in this chat as to save on screen space)

As everything else in the donation packages is determined by donation level, this would be as well.

VIP- Unable to start group chat
    Gold- Able to start a group chat and add 3 other members (non donators included)
    Diamond- Able to start a group chat and add 5 other members (non donators included)
    Sponsor- Able to start a group chat and add 7 other members (non donators included)

Commands would go something like this:

/GC new (group name) --- Limited to 8-10 characters --- If the name is already taken, a message is showed saying that the name is unavailable.
    /GC add (player name)
    (As Barry suggested) /GC add (player) --- Only able to be used by the creator of the group chat, then the player invited must /GC accept
    /GC remove (player name)
    --- Only able to be used by the creator of the group chat
    /GC delete-chat (chat name) --- Only able to be used by the creator of the group chat
    /GC (chat name) (message) --- Send a message to the specified group chat
    /GC leave (chat name) --- Leave a group chat you're currently a part of
    (As Nicera suggested) /ch GC (chat name) --- Locks your chat to a group chat

Players would be able to be in a maximum of 2 group chats at once as well.

Also, as to not have these chats go on indefinitely, they would close automatically after 30 minutes of no discussion or in the event of a server restart.

Thank you all for reading, and please leave feedback and any possible additions :)

-QazzSparkles

Last edited: March 7, 2015
  2. BarryX15

BarryX15

• Sponsor
    In-Game Name:
    BarryX15
    I like, i support - BUT i prefer to have some fixes to current chat first:

- fix delay when logging on the server and chat catches up
    (you log on, you say /tc hi and dont see your text or responses from online townies so it looks like they didnt say hi at all because they replied when your chat still wasnt working)

- announce online friendlisted players when they log on, not only when you log on or when the chat plugin restarts.
    (so you can be more welcoming and tell them Hi before they tell you - this however needs to have the delay fixed)

Now some improvements for Qazz's suggestion:

/GC add [chatname] will send an invitation to a player - the player must then type /GC accept [chatname] to start getting group messages from that chat.

3. NiceraIzCool

NiceraIzCool

• Vip
    In-Game Name:
    NiceraIzCool
    First off, I would like to say that I love your idea Qazz!! :D That would be really helpful for sovling some chat problems.

Now into my suggestions:

/ch GC --- Add-on to the /ch command that sets your channel default to be group chat
    /GC Hostset (player name) --- Sets the host (aka person in control) to whoever given (if they have to perk; it would give player alert if they couldn't take over)
    /GC Hostaccept --- The person given host opportunity has to use this command to become the host

Also, maybe VIP could host one with two additional people only?? (so basically them and two others) I dunno. :3

Thanks for taking the time to read these suggestions.

--Nicera ;)

Zone, Qazz, asdfjkll and 1 other person like this.
  4. Trekar_Sil

Trekar_Sil

• Diamond
    In-Game Name:
    Trekar_Sil
    Love the suggestion, hope it gets the attention it deserves and implemented :)

Qazz, NiceraIzCool and asdfjkll like this.
  5. Qazz

Qazz

• Sponsor
    In-Game Name:
    Qazz

Nicera, the reason I didn't add VIP into those with the ability to start a group chat is because the VIP donation, while appreciated, is seen as a base level donation. As it is such, it will get base perks. This is not a basic perk like /fly and /home and other things that VIP has. This is a bit more of a larger and more complex perk.

NiceraIzCool and Trekar_Sil like this.
  6. NiceraIzCool

NiceraIzCool

• Vip
    In-Game Name:
    NiceraIzCool
    Oh okay.. that's fine. I was just putting it out there. :) I was just thinking that a small three person group would be a nice little perk to the VIP rank (I'm not just saying that because I'm VIP and trying to get more perks because that would just be wrong xD).. but I see what your getting at and it would be a rather large plugin feature and a little more advanced, so I understand if you wouldn't want to add VIP to the perk. ;)

Thanks again for reading and replying to my suggestion!! :D

--Nicera

7. BarryX15

BarryX15

• Sponsor
    In-Game Name:
    BarryX15
    I see a small issue with this.
    Back in early 2012 with first version of Kingdoms plugin, we had to type /ktc for town chat. One more letter doesnt seem to be much of an issue, but it slows down typing and gets annoying after a while - as a result of public request VanZeben returned to /tc which we used in Towny plugin in 2011.
    Typing /gc chatname before messages takes much longer and takes the fun away, plus messages have to be a bit shorter. So i would rather let one player to be member of only 1 group instead of 2 groups and i suggest using /gc with no chat name.

8. Blackreign_MM

Blackreign_MM

• Gold
    Actually another idea is to the the /r which is even easier, but may get confused with the /tell /r?

9. Blackesy

Blackesy

• Diamond
    In-Game Name:
    Blackesy
    Surely you would just use/ch gc which would make you talk by default in the channel like any other channels

Blackreign_MM likes this.
  10. heinz_gruber

heinz_gruber

• Sponsor
    In-Game Name:
    heinz_gruber
    Well, we had better ask Thejacoborg, but i recall on the last map he found we had a party chat plugin installed or something, i think it might of served the same purpose as discussed here.

But only Jacob or other staff members might remember or know about this. You may be surprised to find out we might already have a party chat feature to service your needs, then again it might be gone now and yes we need this.

11. Mr_Slirps

Mr_Slirps

I like the idea and should be used it would be useful in chat in a faster and more effiecent way.