1. Play on the ImDeity Minecraft Multiplayer server -- Goto the "Multiplayer" section of Minecraft and type "mc.imdeity.com" to join!
    Dismiss Notice

(do we want to) Protect more land on Main World?

Discussion in 'Kingdoms General' started by BarryX15, February 26, 2016.

1. BarryX15

BarryX15

• Sponsor
    In-Game Name:
    BarryX15
    According to Main Server Survey, one of most important things for players to do is building and designing. However, current Main World discourages building because of lack of grief-protection.

Sure, we have towns, we have protection stones, we have rollbacks.

But:
    1. Towns can protect only as much as they can claim and pay taxes for, which means that they usually claim only resident plots and few amenities.
    2. Protection stones are versatile tool to protect against griefing but they also prevent visitors from opening doors to explore.
    3. Rollbacks take time to happen because they need an admin and they don't give any protection so griefing can happen again.

How to protect more land against griefing while still allow visitors to explore? And do we even want to?

sunnydb0y, asdfjkll and heinz_gruber like this.
  2. legoazurp

legoazurp

• Vip
    In-Game Name:
    LEGOAP
    Maybe you should make a poll asking people if a lack of protection prohibits them from building? You can also use the same poll to see if it is something else like a lack of funds, or resources.

asdfjkll, BarryX15 and heinz_gruber like this.
  3. heinz_gruber

heinz_gruber

• Sponsor
    In-Game Name:
    heinz_gruber
    Just at first glance my initial thought is, something other than diamond protection blocks, maybe have a different block which is basically a server protection stone, it has permissions for everyone to explore and open doors, but no editing of blocks of any kind to anyone except for maybe the placer and or Moderators/Admin

Maybe even, buy them from Deity shop? with no set limit?

Just a kneejerk response xD

Last edited: February 26, 2016
    BarryX15 likes this.
  4. Hallideadly

Hallideadly

• Sponsor
    In-Game Name:
    Hallideadly
    I just so happen to have 2 cents to spare, but my thoughts are off the mark, (like most times).

As I said, off the mark... I have deleted 2 paragraphs of thoughts on this topic and am resorting to this sentence, HA.

Basically everything I come up with would require a big change to server coding, ( ie; Mayor commands for plot designations including protection, Notification of interaction with protected area by someone not permitted to do so.). not sure what kind of notification as it would probably spam chat if notification was alerted there, but that would get every ones attention right away.

heinz_gruber likes this.
  5. heinz_gruber

heinz_gruber

• Sponsor
    In-Game Name:
    heinz_gruber
    When you have a mind like yours, i would forgive any amount of trouble expressing something [edit, expressing in words, when you seem to have a visual mind] i look at your builds and think, "wow if only i had a window into that zone"
    Your brain clearly works in a more wonderful way in my opinion so no need to be bashful sir xD

Last edited: February 26, 2016
    Hallideadly likes this.
  6. squeezal

squeezal

• Diamond
    In-Game Name:
    squeezal
    I've been on a game design binge the last week, so I'm enjoying thinking about the problem. Perhaps give towns a couple of cheap (or free) no tax "civic plots" per citizen which would let them claim roads/ town services and only be editable by town staff. Or make it a high level noble perk which grants the town a few.
    Or use the new crafting plug in to craft an amazingly expensive item which functions like a diamond block does. It would be a good money sink and help the economy as well.

heinz_gruber likes this.
  7. heinz_gruber

heinz_gruber

• Sponsor
    In-Game Name:
    heinz_gruber
    Yeah this is totally along the lines of what I was thinking. Gg

8. squeezal

squeezal

• Diamond
    In-Game Name:
    squeezal
    haha, I know I read your comment, then completely forgot you made that suggestion. I guess I can't take credit for it now, lol. I'll just claim optimization.

heinz_gruber likes this.
  9. heinz_gruber

heinz_gruber

• Sponsor
    In-Game Name:
    heinz_gruber
    I cannot claim these suggestions, they have been made before, I even made a case for civic plots before too, but I feel your response was more fleshed out hence the GG. xD
    But alas I am just spitballing anything that might work.

10. MasahiroRina

MasahiroRina

• Gold
    In-Game Name:
    MasahiroRina
    I would definitely feel more comfortable with striking out and building something awesome if I had a way to protect it. I'm not one of the server elite, so I don't have diamond blocks or my own town to try to protect a large build. I also don't intend on starting said large build until I have either the funds for a town (although, then I'd have to be a noble, which would be a pain in the rear, and I wouldn't be able to place water, for instance) or until I have $200 laying around to get a fair amount of protection stones.

(totally random question - if you donate multiple times, do you get more protection stones, or is 9 the max period?)

However, I have also seen protection get ridiculous. On another server, I could not find a place to build because hundreds of noobs had set up their protected area and just took off. It's especially easy to forget where you've placed a claim when you don't have a nearby teleport point - being able to specify which spawn point to go to really makes finding things easier. I love that system on this server.

I wonder though, would we be able to increase the quality of in-town and between-town builds if we were to make it so people could be citizens of multiple towns?

EDIT: I thought about how we have a creative world to do big things in, and I think that's really cool, and I'm always totally overwhelmed when I go there and check things out. But I just have this feeling like I'm in a museum, or a gallery, and I don't really feel like it's a world. The big things I want to make - they need space to breathe. I don't want them cooped up in a box, they should be part and parcel of the world that inspired them.

Hallideadly and BarryX15 like this.
  11. heinz_gruber

heinz_gruber

• Sponsor
    In-Game Name:
    heinz_gruber
    This is sort of what this convo is about, you actually get more protection stones than 9 as a sponsor now, they have been increased, because the range has been lessened to protect a single plot instead of a 25x25 area.

A sponsor can use 15 i believe, so thats 15 free plots protected

What is in discussion here is maybe having more ways to get protection.

12. BarryX15

BarryX15

• Sponsor
    In-Game Name:
    BarryX15
    Thanks for the feedback, guys. Lego is right, i should have done that poll.

Masahiro, there was a change of protection stone system in early 2015. Sponsors now get 15 stones, each covering one chunk (16x16 blocks, always fits to one chunk regardless of stone placement within that chunk) instead of 9 stones with 25x25 coverage centered around the stone. Usually people who can afford multiple sponsorships also can afford multiple minecraft accounts, so thats one way of getting more than 15. That (multiple minecraft accounts) is also the only way to be a member of multiple towns (Imagine one account being a member of multiple towns and using /tc to talk in town chat, how would the server recognise which town chat it should go to?).

Permanent protection stones

This could be bedrock block, now placeable by admin. Let's say that admins wouldn't place it anymore and bedrock would be sold in Deity Shop. Then as the player places it, it creates a permanent protection for 1 chunk where nobody can place/break stuff (not even the player who placed it) but everyone can open doors, chests, push buttons etc.
    Now few questions:
    - How much should one block of bedrock cost? 5000 Dei per block? Remember that this idea means that bedrock-protected builds would be protected "forever" until the map reset with no further tax.
    - How would bedrock placement be restricted? Permanent protection stones should not interfere with town/resident plots, they are supposed to be placed in wilderness, perhaps in some safe distance from town plots.
    - How to allow removing protection if necessary? Owner should be able to to remove the bedrock protection by command (no bedrock block payback, go buy new one).
    - What about possible issues like removing existing bedrock if it blocks others? In case someone decides to block other players by placing a block into their build. Are tickets good enough to solve this?

squeezal, heinz_gruber and legoazurp like this.
  13. squeezal

squeezal

• Diamond
    In-Game Name:
    squeezal
    Protecting a build temporarily while you build it with diamond blocks then protecting it forever would be cool. I was going to suggest turning it into a warp; as they are in the wild, maybe for an additional cost, but then we have highway systems everywhere. We have a lot of teleportation for a survival server. More wilderness builds could make horses even more valuable and fun.

14. heinz_gruber

heinz_gruber

• Sponsor
    In-Game Name:
    heinz_gruber
    I agree, these should be builds you find whilst exploring xD

MasahiroRina and squeezal like this.
  15. MasahiroRina

MasahiroRina

• Gold
    In-Game Name:
    MasahiroRina