1. Play on the ImDeity Minecraft Multiplayer server -- Goto the "Multiplayer" section of Minecraft and type "mc.imdeity.com" to join!
    Dismiss Notice

Allowing Sticky Pistons

Discussion in 'Suggestions / Ideas' started by Cdogmcfrog, February 24, 2012.

?

Should Sticky Pistons Be Allowed?

1. Yes

73.1%
  2. No

26.9%
  1. smcallah

smcallah

• Administrator
    In-Game Name:
    smcallah
    And I would bet that one block would not be worth the amount of dei it took to place all those sticky pistons once they are made available.

Not to mention, we can easily tell you placed all those sticky pistons and you still have to break the block you stole to have it. So we'd still know exactly what happened.

2. Phyrion

Phyrion

In-Game Name:
    Phyrion
    Oh there's no doubt. I forgot to mention that the further away (more pistons) needed, the more complex the circuit would have to be designed. Even if it was a diamond block, would not pay off to have more than 3 sticky pistons to get it, in terms of complications of design

Hope this explains it (gonna use an example of 3):

Basically, you want them to shoot off in order. One sticky can push up to I think 10 other stickies. So basically, first one pushes 2, second pushes 1. Now, the last one extends and attaches to said object. Last piston retracts, pulling said object to it. Now second piston retracts, pulling last piston to it. Last piston activates again, grabbing object, then retracts, pulling it 1 step further. First piston retracts pulling second piston. Second piston fires, then retracts, pulling third piston. Finally third piston fires, grabbing object, and retracts pulling object.

It's a complicated wiring and takes a while to design, but it's doable. Said object was just pulled in a line for a distance of 3 block spaces.

3. nolarboot

nolarboot

• Sponsor
    In-Game Name:
    megashedinja
    I'd also like to point out that ImDeity is heavily against automated farms (cactus farms at least). The ungodly amount of lag a few of those would cause makes implementing sticky pistons not worth it, in my very blunt opinion. However, if they were to be granted to (extremely) high-level Craftspersons, then I feel it only natural that one of the prerequisites be something proving that player's worth and trustworthiness to the server, since it would be all too easy to grief with sticky pistons.

But hey, I'm just here. :D

4. Eliteh4wk

Eliteh4wk

In-Game Name:
    Eliteh4wk
    I really want sticky pistons but i guess i understand why they don't have it... Hope they figure out a way to add it. :)

5. Joslew

Joslew

• Sponsor
    In-Game Name:
    joslew
    I really wish they could come up with some way of implementing them because they are so useful in such a huge amount of ways.

6. The_Yogs

The_Yogs

• Sponsor
    In-Game Name:
    The_Yogs
    they should make a slimeball shop:D

thejacoborg likes this.
  7. moi8209

moi8209

In-Game Name:
    moi8209
    you could use them to make elevators and doors. But they should only be allowed on plot and deactivate if they go out.

8. Phyrion

Phyrion

In-Game Name:
    Phyrion
    Um, I have a piston door without sticky pistons, just normal pistons.
    And you can make elevators with just normal pistons.

9. Cardmime

Cardmime

I'm curious if the whole idea behind not having sticky pistons is to prevent griefing. What kind of griefer would spend his time setting up a sticky piston thing to steal blocks anyways? It would take way too much time. Plus don't the cities have people who keep stealing/griefing from happening anyways? Like maybe just stick people who use it for evil in jail or something ya know?

10. timy889

timy889

In-Game Name:
    Timy889
    i think sticky pistons should only be allowed in owned plots

11. EnterZAX

EnterZAX

In-Game Name:
    EnterZAX
    I wasn't quite sure why sticky pistons weren't allowed, but after reading that they were removed due to anti griefing measures, I can accept that fact they are disabled. Hopefully though in some way they will be able to figure out a way to make it so that sticky pistons would have a limit to how many they can stack. I'm more or less thinking that 2-3 would be fun to use to make some interesting doorways or entryways for my town. But the statements above make me scared about the fact that I could lose my stuff without them being near me. I found thins thread helpful because I was extremely curious about some of these things. Thanks everyone for the insight and reasons as to why they were taken out, as well as reasons/ways they could be used on this server, It's just up to the admins and programmers :)

nolarboot likes this.
  12. nolarboot

nolarboot

• Sponsor
    In-Game Name:
    megashedinja
    Listen up, newbies. THIS is what you get when you actually use the search bar. You learn a lot more and you don't have to do so much pesky typing.

Kudos to EnterZAX, here.

Another thing that springs to mind when thinking of the griefing potential of sticky pistons is what if towns/spawns/etc. were forced to have a space of a few blocks to nullify the chances of sticky piston griefing? There'd be no way for someone to place a sticky piston within a protected zone to steal anything that way (in my mind).
    ...Unless you're throwing in the lag factor, in which case, my bad.