1. Play on the ImDeity Minecraft Multiplayer server -- Goto the "Multiplayer" section of Minecraft and type "mc.imdeity.com" to join!
    Dismiss Notice

A Thorough Nether World Suggestion

Discussion in 'Suggestions / Ideas' started by smcallah, February 12, 2012.

1. smcallah

smcallah

• Administrator
    In-Game Name:
    smcallah
    So I thought I'd offer up my thoughts on what could constitute a Nether World that could work for this server. Just enabling the Nether and letting an obsidian portal get you there isn't going to work for a few reasons. But something like the regularly reset mining world could work with a few requirements and restrictions.

I believe that the requirements and restrictions I propose on the Nether world would keep a fair balance on the server and make it a better experience than if it were a straight Nether portal that would never happen anyway.

Yes, I'm a sub-admin, so don't take this as something that will actually happen just because of that. These are merely ideas and a suggestion.

My ideas are these:

1) Nether World would just be another generated map like the Mining World, that would be reset when needed.

2) It would be based on the Mob Event. Meaning, people would sign up to go the Nether world with a /go command. Then at the time the Nether world opens, 25 of those people would be ported to the Nether world. Inventory would be cleared from main world, and you would be given a diamond pick, diamond shovel, and diamond sword (if there are mobs, more on that later.) The inventory clearing keeps people from building structures or placing chests in the world.

3) To be clear on the inventory clearing before going in, you would lose your main world inventory, so put it away before the Nether timer counts down. You'll want your inventory cleared, otherwise you won't bring everything back you gathered in the Nether, since it would be overwritten by your main world inventory.

4) Also like the Mob Event, if you die in the Nether, you are ported out and don't go back in. Slightly different than the Mob Event, there would be a timer on how long you're in the Nether, I would say 1 hour is reasonable. Also, the Nether world should only open up every 4 hours after the last Nether time closed.

5) If you have already gone to the Nether, you cannot go in again for another 12 hours.

6) Magic Carpet, /ascend/descend, and /chest should be blocked in the Nether. This limits the number of items that can be gathered in the Nether to keep a fair balance. We don't want the first person in with /mc to go and take all of the glowstone from the ceiling immediately.

7) To qualify to go to the Nether, you need to have voted 5 times in the last 7 days and maybe 3 times in the last 5 days for donators. A Nether world would use more resources on the server and more of the senior staff's time, so voting is the least people can do to "pay" for this service. I think it's a fair compromise. And a big upside to it is that it keeps people that just joined the server from doing "/go nether" and taking one of the 25 random spots the next time the Nether opens.

8) Maybe also a requirement that a class has been chosen on the portal as one of the requirements to be able to "/go nether." Perhaps even a payment of dei as an entrance fee.

9) Mobs: Pigmen would be disabled or if possible their drops disabled, since they drop gold nuggets, that may unbalance the economy. Ghasts should be on to make it more difficult to gather resources. It is a survival server, so it's only fair. Blaze and Magma Cube drops may or may not matter since potions are currently disabled.

I believe this all would help make an enjoyable Nether and a new challenge to gather rare resources. I would like if Netherrack and other nether items weren't like on the old map and cost hundreds of dei for one block. People should be using the items to build structures, not hoarding them a block at a time and trying to sell them so the next person can hoard them. So while they'll probably be worth a bit more than normal blocks, there should be enough for people to actually build with.

If anyone has anything to add, please feel free.

2. eltono999

eltono999

• Sponsor
    In-Game Name:
    eltono999
    This is an amazing suggestion smc. I like how this is basically the only well thought out nether suggestion. ever.

I NEED MOAR GLOWSTONEZ.

3. AlmightyCobra

AlmightyCobra

In-Game Name:
    CobraTheAlmighty
    This is very well-thought out. I like this idea.

4. kauffmanjd10

kauffmanjd10

In-Game Name:
    kauffmanjd10
    I believe this is a very interesting concept.

In addition to what you have listed I would only like to say a couple things.

1. Many players don't play on the server for hours at a time because it's just not probably for them, so maybe having a shorter duration for time being in the Nether would be nice.

2. I think if the Nether is implimented in this fashion, Ghasts should definately be true to be legitiment survival. Though, with them being true, the players should have more access to arrows. Ways to do this could include either spawning in the world with a set amount of arrows, or, if you did allow players to take their inventory, have a couple more ways for players to aquire arrows but excluding spawning Chickens due to lag.

3. I believe their should be a fails-safe "op-out neather" command of some sort. (this also should be applied to mobevent, if there already is I apologize, I have yet to learn about it) If players sign up for the event they should be able to cancel their application to be in the event say something comes up. I know you can avoid the event by logging out when it is starting, but there should be a way to exit before it starts without having to go through with the disconection.

I hope my thoughts may have helped in any form of development that may or maynot take place with this subject.

C0nfuseki likes this.
  5. ImDeity

ImDeity

• Administrator
    In-Game Name:
    ImDeity
    Love the idea smcallah. I think the Nether implemented in such a manner would work great and I'll work on getting this done in the near future.

BigDeer, Johndahbomb, Qazz and 8 others like this.
  6. ChoclateMuffin

ChoclateMuffin

In-Game Name:
    ChoclateMuffin
    I also love the idea smc. You really are the best around! I also have a question for you. If this was added how would we get out of the nether? Is it with a /go command or you get teled out.

7. smcallah

smcallah

• Administrator
    In-Game Name:
    smcallah
    I would think that /go main should get you out, just like it gets you out from anywhere else now.

8. The_Yogs

The_Yogs

• Sponsor
    In-Game Name:
    The_Yogs
    Amazing idea but then glowstone should be removed from /shop

9. AntonioBarbarian

AntonioBarbarian

In-Game Name:
    AntonioBarbarian
    smc, you just proved how you are really the best around, i NEVER expetected to EVER, see a suggestion for Nether like this, but i might have some additions to be made:

1) There should be a limit in the amount of Netherrack, Glowstone and the other nether blocks carried out of it, as people might just reensack the WHOLE nether in the period they are there, considering how fast netherrack can be collected, a limit like a stack or two of each kind of block should prevebt people from making the nether pure bedrock in the top and in the bottom

2) A protected spawn area should be estabilished, something like 200 to 500 blocks from the spawn door should be enough, so that people dont immediately torn the land around spawn to pieces

3) Nether Wart should be considered, as potions and enchantments are off i dont really see why have it, other than taking it to use it for decoration, i really dont know what to do about it

Qazz likes this.
  10. DarkLord_gr

DarkLord_gr

In-Game Name:
    DarkLord_gr
    i like the idea but nether is not only glowstone is pigmen that drop gold and ghasts and the other dirt that slows.. dont forget about them i want them too!! :p

11. xXBloodXx21

xXBloodXx21

In-Game Name:
    xXBloodXx21
    Yea as darkLord_gr said the pigmen constantly drop nugget meaning fast gold. But this is a good idea cause of the rareness of glowstone but the time limit should be short and the place should be regenerated constantly som people dont have to go that far away.

12. Hotfries456

Hotfries456

• Sponsor
    In-Game Name:
    hotfries456
    You are my hero. No one has done this in all the time I've been here. Pretty cool stuff.

Riillaith likes this.
  13. tenro

tenro

• Sponsor
    In-Game Name:
    tenro
    yeah this seems quite reasonable and i think it would be pretty fun. there could even be a "time attack mode" or "team time attack mode" where the top 3 get rewards based on getting the biggest haul in the time allotted (based on point value assigned to blocks, mobs, etc).

14. Tjkuhl

Tjkuhl

In-Game Name:
    tjkuhl
    I like this idea it is very well thought-out but one thing I would like to say I don't know if its just me but everytime I warp/tp to mob events/spawn it laggs me out then I have to wait 2-5mins then it can reconnect to the server. So I would not beable to do this event but i love the nether materials (I love the look of netherrack but it makes me hungery) also im a vendor and I use to auction things off everyday and it was almost always nether materials like soulsand and I would be missing out on a whole world. So just adding a different side to this topic...

15. ngennaro

ngennaro

• Vip
    In-Game Name:
    ngennaro
    I really like the idea, a few suggestions though.

1. The time limit should be 30 minutes in the nether, 2 hours before next time. This is because nether rack mines super fast, if I wanted too, I could get a full inventory of it in the first 15 minutes. 1 hour is way to long.

2. I think it should be reset after "event". Since it is just like the mob event, there will be multiple noob holes on or around spawn.

3. Protected spawn. It's not fair to have others die from idiotic noob holes right next to spawn.

4. Keep it fair. I am not a donor, but that doesn't mean I am not active and voting. It's not fair to let the donor only have to vote 3 out of 5 days.

5. My final suggestions is that there should be a class requirement. Noobs(no offense) and new people will likely destroy the near by area, making it irksome to travel, like the mining world. Maybe event the highest class?

Thanks for listening, hope it is implemented soon!(looking at you imdeity!).

16. AntonioBarbarian

AntonioBarbarian

In-Game Name:
    AntonioBarbarian
    I most agree here, noobs will completely f**k the area around spawn, or if maybe revome the bedrock bottom, so if a noob digs directly down he falls into the void as some sort punishiment, and stabilish rules like "No noob holes (AKA 1x1 holes all the way down to the void), theres no bedrock to stop you, you fall into the void and lost your stuff, your fault"

17. smcallah

smcallah

• Administrator
    In-Game Name:
    smcallah
    Obviously there would be a protected spawn area. When do we not have one?

18. Secretbox

Secretbox

In-Game Name:
    Secretbox
    Thats a good suggestion

19. ngennaro

ngennaro

• Vip
    In-Game Name:
    ngennaro
    What mean is, have you seen the mining world when we had the 50 block protected radius? Noob holes and stuff everywhere. Protected spawn so there is none of that stuff.

20. Pamhammer

Pamhammer

In-Game Name:
    PamHammer
    I also think this sounds like a good idea. I really would love the mats for building, sad that i cant get some of them right now.