1. Play on the ImDeity Minecraft Multiplayer server -- Goto the "Multiplayer" section of Minecraft and type "mc.imdeity.com" to join!
    Dismiss Notice

The Nether, Restrictions, and the Deciding Factors.

Discussion in 'Kingdoms General' started by Mojinax, October 28, 2013.

1. Mojinax

Mojinax

• VIP
    In-Game Name:
    Mojinax
    Do not say this topic has been discussed already. It matters not. If the answers have to be regurgitated again, then I think it's worth it to the community that they are.

Sooooo; I've been on this server for a while and have yet to see the nether in the main world, have seen this server raise its restrictions from just "No Nether" to "No this, this and this. Also 50 more things you cannot do/have", and I've been through the server's Golden Days, to the server's (now) Less-Than Golden Days.

When I played back in the days, when only the nether was restricted, we all understood why there was no nether. It was for the same reason there were no animals or looping redstone machines (that Deity knew of, hehehe), lag. We accepted that the server could not handle the Nether, as it could not even handle normally spawned animals on the server. Or so I was told lag was the reason, could be underlying reasoning.

The lag started the restrictions. From the Nether and looking down upon looping redstone, we decided to tax redstone, water, not allow placement of lava, use of flint and tinder, etc. Once again, lag could be a reason for all of these. If you played 2-3 years ago. Our server can handle much more than it once could, and I don't think allowing Prometheus to bring us back our fire would hurt too much. Our lava too. Not only were these items taken from us for lag-reducing purposes, but also to stop griefing. Solution; Stop lava flow, stop fire spread. If there is abuse, handle this as we handle ANY OTHER griefing situation.

These restrictions make multiple X's on the list of what I call the Deciding Factors, mainly for new players. No Nether? Every other server has Nether. Why should I play here? Now I can't place lava or fire? Really? At least they have MCMMO. Oh good, Acrobatics is the only skill that actually works. Sticky Pistons? Nope. Etc. The list goes on. Lag isn't much of an issue anymore, most lag is caused via DDOS or poor graphic's cards. So what's our excuse? It's been this way for a while, it will stay this way.

Tradition. I vote we open Pandora's Box and let our players have the basics. This would increase the amount of players, and make for an overall better server. I take from Taoism what I believe to be true in this situation. Let nature be. It makes for a better life. Stop restricting so much, and allow us some freedoms.

P.S. I would also like oceans, more snow, and caves for the roleplaying part of the game. Let the world generate naturally, not what you think would make for maximum town-making space.

You're too cautious, Deity. I stay on this server because of my connections, not because of its content. I've merely just learned to play without potions, nether, natural landscapes, and the likes. Take a page from the Tao Te Ching and let the server be as Minecraft was meant to be. Everything from the first patch to the last patch. I ask for the basics. That's a weird sentence to say.

OTHER SERVERS DO IT. There isn't an excuse.

P.S.S. I suggest you add this stuff in, and then worry about what needs fixing afterwards.

Last edited: October 28, 2013
  2. Mojinax

Mojinax

• VIP
    In-Game Name:
    Mojinax
    Upon talking with Barry, I feel some things were not made clear. I do not want complete Vanilla minecraft. I just want restrictions to be made in the best interest of the people without restricting their abilities. Restricting creepers from destroying your house, for example, does not fall under this category. Nobody wants that. Except for Takhz. If some things really can't squeeze by for whatever reason, then so be it. But I do not understand, then, what makes our server special from the other servers that can do these things, many lag-free.

3. smcallah

smcallah

• Administrator
    In-Game Name:
    smcallah
    Actually, back in the day, we understood that there was no Nether on the server because it wasn't available in multiplayer until Beta 1.6 on May 26, 2011.

And the server was definitely laggy back then, no one had to be told that. Server side lag is a lot different than the client lag caused by poor graphic cards.

cliff777 likes this.
  4. sliferkiller

sliferkiller

In-Game Name:
    sliferkiller
    We should have a nether that resets monthly, so that we can raid it more often! ;)

TiitanX likes this.
  5. SaintThunder

SaintThunder

• Sponsor
    In-Game Name:
    SaintThunder
    Before I start, I want it to be abundantly clear that I, personally, am open minded about this. I will be playing some devil's advocate.

That said, what would the purpose be of adding the nether to the main world? The main world is a towns-only world. There is no point in mining because there is nothing to mine, so what would the function of the nether be? Also, we can't just allow people going around creating portals, because that could lead to griefing with no logs on some of the portals (because the portal gets created in the nether and then makes its counterpart in the over world). If the portals were limited to either only being in the capital or by an admin for a fee on certain town plots, then that would fix the griefing issue, but again, we lack a function. The only thing popping into my mind would be like an alternate dimension for players to go into and have a little space, but how big would that be, who would get it, how would it be set up, etc. etc. I almost feel like if the nether was added, it would be a capital only thing and would only be there to browse through, do quests, etc. I'm almost certain that there would be no mining there, but if you can think of a way for that to happen, or even an alternative function, I would be very happy to know what it is.

To address a couple other things, though, and feel perfectly free to contradict anything with a specific reason. Some blocks are restricted only if you are not the proper level craftsman class. This has been planned, and should have been understood, for a while now. Why would anyone want to be a craftsman if there are no benefits to it? This was a topic brought up a while ago, and then the class update came out. So that is why sticky pistons are unavailable to quite a lot of people. Fire spread being turned off doesn't completely fix the fire griefing problem, because as far as I know it will still consume a consumable block that it gets placed on, and I have no idea if there are any logs that would show it. In a town, anyone with permissions on that plot could cause griefing. If creating a fire does show up in logs (which I would assume it does), then I don't necessarily see why not enable it, except for it being a desired thing, perhaps artificially created by its restriction, and therefor being a good thing to give to craftsman class. Lava is the same thing. Fire and lava can cause damage, and people can create traps with redstone using them. Since there isn't supposed to be any sort of killing on the main server outside of pvp plots, this can be an issue, considering we probably won't get very many logs from the people who would know what they were doing. Restricting these does only restrict those types of traps, but that would be why we would be more comfortable only allowing people who have done some hard work on the server have it.

As for wanting snow and caves and all that, rather than maximizing town space, I would agree that there should be a good balance between the two. With how the world has currently been generated, I would tend to think it would be a very annoying and painful process to go back and reverse that, but I would imagine in future map expansions, such things could be included. However, the map only gets expanded when more room is needed for towns to be comfortably spread out, at least as far as I am aware. The world would still be made using custom generation, but maybe in the future that generation could be more varied and interesting, creating more "prime town" spots or area feels rather than "well, I suppose here is good... /t create"

Just to address the ending part, "Other server do it so there isn't an excuse," isn't an excuse in and of itself as to why it should be done or not restricted. Making us more like other server doesn't set us apart. While restricting more blocks doesn't make us more unique, I don't think the situation is as bad as the impression I am getting from your post is ("if things keep up, we'll only be able to use dirt blocks!"). I realize this is very likely not what you are trying to say, but I have seen a lot of "I wants" and not very many benefits to go along with them. I would assume that is why it is in Kingdoms General and not Suggestions, but they aren't bad "I wants." I don't think I have any new answers for you, but I will definitely be making some inquiries of my own. Maybe we can turn over a few stones, eh?

6. TiitanX

TiitanX

• Sponsor
    In-Game Name:
    TiitanX
    Quartz, nether-rack, and nether-brick are all excellent building blocks. Quartz in particular is an excellent block that I believe should be more bountiful.

It should be clear that people need to acknowledge the threats and dangers of the nether. It isn't meant to be a friendly place, so people should anticipate for possible troubles. Whether it be their portal being destroyed or getting stuck in a redstone player trap, they should enter the nether accepting the possible consequences.

Also, what if we had a central portal in the nether that teleported you back to the mining world spawn? You could type "/spawn" in the nether to get there. This way if a player does create his own portal from his mining base far out in the world he isn't in any danger of being permanently trapped in the nether. There wouldn't be a portal to the nether at mining world spawn, only the portal in the nether that teleported you back.

I understand you were just the messenger of sorts.

Takhz, Tallpines and Lord__Xemnas like this.
  7. Dragonslayer314

Dragonslayer314

In-Game Name:
    Dragonslayer314
    Honestly, I think that it would be cool if the nether was only accessible from the mining world; no portal-griefing worries like Saint said in the quote Tiitan just used, and the materials would be possible to get, with resets as frequent as the mining world resets. Also, when people remember the nether, everyone forgets about the economy-breaking part of it: GLOWSTONE!

Tophatblobyblob likes this.
  8. SaintThunder

SaintThunder

• Sponsor
    In-Game Name:
    SaintThunder
    Sorry, I should have made that more clear. There is nothing in the main world to mine, so how would attaching a nether world to the main world that one can mine in be beneficial? If mining was allowed, we would need to reset the nether world every now and again (which I'm not sure can be done, depending on if the nether world is based off the world seed or not. I would imagine it would be as simple as deleting the netherworld file, though) and if there are public portals, it messes with that thing. Having the nether in the mining world does make sense, but all those ores are included in the mining world for the purpose of making some relatively rare items. Rare items make an economy work. I'm also not sure if the ores and and glowstone generation can be controlled in the nether, but that is something I will ask Deity about when I next see him.

TiitanX and bran_bash like this.
  9. Gawkan

Gawkan

• Vip
    In-Game Name:
    Gawkan
    Just like point out, there is a separate nether world file like there is for main world, the end, etc. So Imdeity could just easily delete the nether world file and I believe it would generate a new nether world file when someone goes into the nether again.

10. Mojinax

Mojinax

• VIP
    In-Game Name:
    Mojinax
    Very well said, I appreciate many of your posts and I was hoping someone would bring these points to light. While talking with Barry, and later with Brytton about the post, we came up with some solutions to some problems. The main thing being that Level Two Craftsman should be the only ones allowed to place fire and lava. At this point, although people will stray, the people who are Level Two Craftsman are "trustworthy" in a sense. They have been on this server for at least two weeks, made 20 intelligible posts, and raised enough dei to get the gist of things. As for the people who want to use lava and fire for traps, they should be required to have warning signs around the trap, and if they don't, we bring back jail :). Jailed for murder. That would be funny in chat.

Referring to your first paragraph, I said I want nether. Who said I wanted nether on the main world, though? I believe that we're smart enough to make another server for the nether. We did it for mine world, after all.

Referring to the caves, snow, and oceans, I think it's a no-brainer. You don't tamper with the way the land generates. Try out a bunch of seeds for randomly made worlds, pick one, and use it.

ImDeity has the good and the bad. Classes, for example, are a good. They make our server unique not like many others. Not allowing the nether, however, is a bad thing. Everything will come with its problems when (and if) they are implemented. I feel there is too much worry, and therefore the things are not implemented. Implement, observe, fix. Decide whether or not the implementation was a good one or not, find out if you can make it a good one if there are flaws, and if not, take it away again.

Also, Thunder, I personally do not want the nether for its aesthetics. It looks like crap. I want it for glowstone, alchemy, and quartz. That's it.

11. Bryttonmp4

Bryttonmp4

The nether would add additional incentives to playing Minecraft on deity. It would be worth investing in the Nether. Whatever it takes. The galore might only last a little while (like /mine or /war) but nonetheless its a stable addition that wouldn't require much updating once its been configured. (well that's speculative) But, I have yet to explore that place so. . . I know I could spend a few more hours on Deity if it was enabled :D I bet others might enjoy it as well. If only for a few hours for each person that's a little more time people spend. Which is always a benefit to the server.

Brytton likes this.
  12. SaintThunder

SaintThunder

• Sponsor
    In-Game Name:
    SaintThunder
    I was talking with Brytton a little bit ago about this as well, and it was then I realized that you never actually said you wanted it for the main world, so that is a miss read on my part. Glowstone I don't think would be a huge issue with the nether being added, although Deity is the final say on that, the couple potions things that would be needed from the nether (magma cream and blaze rod, as Brytton brought up to me) could theoretically be added to the Deity shop (yes, that would bean excuse to say "hah, we don't need the nether. Neener neener neener") but Quartz spawns incredibly frequently in the default nether, so unless the spawn rate for that could be adjusted, I feel it would be difficult to get the admins to go along with it. Deity wants the nether blocks to be used sparingly, as well as the end block, but very few people want to use the single end block anyway. It's an economy thing. I know people want these blocks, and I am one of them, but that is something to consider. As I have said, I have quite a few questions I want to ask Deity about the feasibility of much of this. I am by no means against this idea, but I do want to make sure that all the good reasons have been said, because that makes convincing others easier when equipped with them.

13. SweetMaple

SweetMaple

• Diamond
    In-Game Name:
    SweetMaple
    Blaze rods only use it to give you blaze powder which is currently sold in the deity shop (started when we rolled out potions with classes). Magma Cream is only used in fire resistance potions, which we are not selling, because it was decided that wasn't something we wanted tons of on the server, it can be crafted with slimeballs. Glowstone is sold in the deity shop, and quartz is in the mining world for mining. Deity has said multiple times he will not put nether on his server. We discussed a DeityNether, but he doesn't see a need, nor does he want that. He is much happier with things being added to the mining world and to the Deity Shop.

14. Brytton

Brytton

• Vip
    In-Game Name:
    bryttonmp5
    So, what is your personal opinion Sweetmaple about the topic? Do you approve of adding in the nether or is it your opinion that it is unnecessary? (reasons would be nice :p) We want to get a good discussion going.

I appreciate the response and it surely answers his questions (although I think he was hoping for something other than Deity doesn't like it) thanks. Maybe we can continue this discussion knowing deities wishes and possibly speculate on reasons why he should like it. Quite possibly if we hear more about what he doesn't like about it we can make responses tailored to meeting his concerns. As is, many of us just want to help the server, given that many of us will never become staff this is our way to "give back" to the server. Our opinions are meant to make this server greater. We by no means want to hinder the server.

Let it be well known none of us are concerned with belittling or berating the staff or imdeity. We do greatly appreciate this server and even if this discussion does nothing we will still be here by your side through the thick and the thin to help in anyway we can.

TiitanX, Stephfork and Lord__Xemnas like this.
  15. SweetMaple

SweetMaple

• Diamond
    In-Game Name:
    SweetMaple
    I, personally, could care less about the nether. I didn't have much of an opinion either way until we reworked pvp and added it. I went in it, with thoughts of the way people on the server built it up, expecting something interesting, but was very disappointed. It is nothing special. You can get items such as glowstone and netherrack/netherbrick and quartz and a few different mobs that have the same mechanics. It is really unnecessary when we have the same items available in mine and deity shop. I would much rather go to the mining world to get quartz than the nether. It seems like a lot of hype for nothing special.

Brytton likes this.
  16. smcallah

smcallah

• Administrator
    In-Game Name:
    smcallah
    My personal opinion on the Nether is that unless it is implemented in the DeityNether way I had originally suggested, it will not fit in with the server.

Netherrack and SoulSand are still a somewhat valuable commodity on the server. If we open up a Nether "mining world" their value will be the same as cobble and dirt. And since Netherbrick can just be smelted from Netherrack, its value will be pretty much the same as smooth stone. Glowstone is fairly easy to obtain in the Nether, and Netherquartz is not very rare. These building materials would become worthless and a common piece of every build.

The idea of DeityNether was to limit who could go into the Nether and how long they could be there among other things. Designed to keep things mostly rare to benefit the economy. It was not a "totally free" way to get Nether items.

Let's face it, the Nether is not a fun place to explore and if you've ever been in the Nether you know that. With almost only netherrack, lava, and fire, it is mind numbing to spend very much time inside. There is almost as much lava as there is ground to walk on, and you can't use water in the Nether, so no protecting yourself from lava that way. Ghasts shoot projectiles as soon as they see you from many blocks away. And even if you manage to kill one to get a chance at getting that ghast tear, it probably fell in the lava anyway.

It wouldn't be like a mining world at all. In the mining world, it's not often that someone starts mining the surface of the world. They usually go down to a low level. But in the Nether, that's what you'd do, you'd start mining the surface. Netherrack and soulsand and nether quartz are all visible right there on the surface, so people just start mining. The terrain will be decimated as soon as you leave the spawn protection area.

In my mind, all we would get are complaints after the first week of the Nether mining world being open. "When are you going to reset? I can't walk anywhere without falling in a hole." "When are you going to reset? I can't find any glowstone." And if we do reset sooner because it is decimated and hard for people without /fly to get around, then we just introduced a bunch more quartz and glowstone into the economy, and we start the whole complaint process over again. And the complaints likely wouldn't be invalid, the Nether is a crappy place to explore and people will be strip mining it for everything as soon as they can. I imagine towns wanting to do a great build will be having teams working together stripping it of every bit of glowstone and quartz that they can and just waiting for a reset to get more.

On top of that, the complaints that the economy is being hurt. I've already received complaints that the economy was hurt by the netherrack and quartz you can get in the last couple of mining worlds and that is no where even close to the amount that even 1 person could bring back from a single visit to the Nether.

I don't see what the Nether can provide to the server other than something for people to do for a month and then be bored with it. It has happened with every single thing that we've done. The majority of people get bored with everything. Even things we didn't specifically add became boring. Like horses. They came with 1.6, people went crazy for them for about a month, now most people don't care. If we can get items that are obtained only in the Nether into the server another way, what advantage does the Nether bring? Just that it's something we don't have?

The only thing it brings in a single player world or vanilla server, besides the building materials, is the option to travel long distances by portal. You build a portal, go into the Nether and make another portal 128 blocks away from the first, and you can travel ~1000 blocks away in the main world. That is great for vanilla. On a server like this though, there are tons of teleporting commands and portals used to travel instantly. And since just a "mining" Nether is only being suggested, it doesn't even bring that to the server.

If I was going to implement a Nether mining world on this server, I would make it so that no teleporting commands would work and the only exit would be the portal where you came in or other premade portals that could be discovered. Maybe have a command for getting out if you really want to, but it would forfeit your inventory.

If you just want to experience the Nether on a server, it's available in PVP and the Hub. People just choose not to play there much, reference above people getting bored with everything we've added.

17. Brytton

Brytton

• Vip
    In-Game Name:
    bryttonmp5
    Okay, understood. Is it possible we could add in Magma creme in the deity shop? This would give potion makers an extra potion to craft and fire resistance could be useful in the mining world. I think that is the only additional perk of the nether that we currently don't have in deities shop. With that said, could the deity shop offer potions that we could otherwise not make (but those that do not hurt/affect other players) without a spider eye? I would like to see the /go shop teleport removed and have multiple deity shops in the main spawn, heck, I think all (non-restricted) items should be available at the themed areas in the spawn (at a much higher price than the /mall of course.

Such as potions and enchanting books/items @ the wizard university. Fish, Fishing rods, wood etc... at the harbor area. Iron bars, etc.. at the jail. Nether stuff at the underground guild no one can find ;P. You know it gives people a little more chance to adventure the map and continue to adventure the town, it is quite large. Maybe have signs that say you could get these items cheaper at /mall at those locations so people test that first. Then if the /mall doesn't offer it people could obtain it with their dei (which deity loves when the dei is removed from the server).

Meh, I suppose this could be a different suggestion yet somewhat related.

squeezal, Lord__Xemnas and btarb24 like this.
  18. Venithar

Venithar

• Sponsor
    In-Game Name:
    Venithar
    This whole thread means little too me as I don't really play here anymore. That being said, I did want to voice an opinion.

Very well put smc, though I do wonder at some of it. You stated you can think of no valid reason to add the nether, though I can come up with one specific reason. A person may wish to build a city in the nether. I personally made a build out of mainly nether brick which would have looked much better sitting inside the nether itself.

I do agree people would get bored with it, it falls under the whole "fad" stuff that I have often complained about in the past. Granted, there are other ways to get the items that the nether provides; deity shop or /mine, yet it should be considered that sometimes, players really don't want to be forced to buy something from an admin shop. There is another way to sort of add the nether without actually adding it. Granted this would require a little more then a simple map reset on the mine world, as it would require an admin to change a biome. In the generation you already generate netherack. You could in theory go to one of those netherack areas and change the biome to Hell (I believe that is the correct biome name for the nether) and add in a lava lake (which would then spawn Ghasts if large enough) and the biome itself would spawn the pigmen and other nether mobs (aside from whither skeletons as they require soulsand and blazes need a spawner or fortress I believe). You could also add glowstone into the random generation thus removing the need for it in the admin shop as well.

Just my 2 cents....

Takhz likes this.
  19. ventureboy

ventureboy

In-Game Name:
    ventureboy
    I think the nether looks boss, but i do agree. Its only needed for the glow, the alchemy, and the quartz, and not to mention the raids on the twisting fortresses of the nether, and other generated buildings. And i also agree only lvl 2 craftsman should be allowed to place fire/lava for die, with a large fine and revocation of their class if they misuse it. they then should be banned from getting craftsman levels ever again. Jail would be interesting. :D Nether should also be put on the mine world, not the main world. Definitely don't tamper with the way mother nature makes her land. And always observe problems and implement solutions.

20. TiitanX

TiitanX

• Sponsor
    In-Game Name:
    TiitanX
    Right now quartz are one of the most valuable blocks, if not the most valuable. Diamonds on the other hand can be bought for prices like 15 dei a piece, or less. Quartz is an amazing building block that is currently more of a currency, while diamonds are an amazing currency that is currently more of a... fancy block?

I think that these blocks should do a role switch of sorts. To do this we would need to make quartz more common and diamonds more valuable. Increasing the frequency of quartz is very easy, just make the ores more common in the mining world. Increasing the value of diamonds is a little more complicated. The reason diamonds are so cheap is because that the current economy is inundated with diamonds. The reason that diamonds are so abundant is that there isn't much of a use for them. Why isn't there a use for them? Donator kits have basically eliminated the need of diamonds for making diamond tools(IMO diamond tools should be one of the most traded items). I think that the donator kits should be removed to get the economy back on track. Because the economy is already so flooded with diamonds/diamond tools it may take awhile for the economy to remedy itself, but that is not a sufficient reason to let the economy suffer.

You may argue that the economy isn't suffering today and that our current valuable blocks are sufficient, but here is why that is incorrect. Minecraft was practically designed to have diamonds as the base of an economy. They are a rare material just like our valuable blocks, but the key is that they are used to help you advance in the game via letting you obtain the materials you want and helping you survive. The current valuables like quartz(And others) are sought after because they are rare and desirable building blocks. Our current system is just taking things a little too forward. Diamonds should drive the economy because you need them to obtain the other things you want(Such as quartz).

Last edited: October 30, 2013