1. Play on the ImDeity Minecraft Multiplayer server -- Goto the "Multiplayer" section of Minecraft and type "mc.imdeity.com" to join!
    Dismiss Notice

Re-Implementing White List?!

Discussion in 'Suggestions / Ideas' started by Pescotti, September 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pescotti

Pescotti

• Sponsor
    In-Game Name:
    Pescotti
    From the title you can tell that my idea is implementing the white list. I realize ImDeity had it before and took it off, but if you READ before commenting you can see my reasoning for posting.

Hello ImDeity Kingdoms!

I am here today, to give a vital suggestion to the server in order to bring the community back to ImDeity. I do understand that there are reason for the decrease of community such as 1.3 update and school starting for most of our users. I would like to inform everyone there are ways to help this server in order to regain its community. A way of helping the server is voting for the server at both Minestatus and PlanetMinecraft.

But to the point, my idea is re-implementing the white list. I understand that the server had it before and Deity took it off, but bear with me. Let me give you an example of why I think it should be added back. Have you ever had someone tell you, you can’t do or have something? Your initial reaction is to prove them wrong, and do/get it. This also applies to the white list. If we advertise that ImDeity is white listed then players would see that it is such a well made/run server that they have white listed it. This would lead players to sign up, vote and apply to be white listed. Pretty much in short terms, it would be something you want but cant have. (I don’t need anyone saying “but they will have it”) I understand that some people might think differently as it might impact the server in the wrong way. I understand that it would create more work for the staff but it would have to be done. Another reason you might think it isn’t such a good idea is that people are lazy and wont sign up which will lower the ‘joining’ number. If they are too lazy to sign up then they shouldn’t be allowed to join this server. Most people who wont sign up are the people who are just on to advertise/grief/mess around with the server; adding the white list will lower the amount of unwanted players on the server. The white list will make the server more appealing to new players which will increase the players online and our community.

Just a reminder, this is a SUGGESTION! Please don’t bash my idea. I posted this simply to hear opinions on this topic.

If you have read this far, I thank you for reading :)

Pescotti

2. MuttiMatti

MuttiMatti

• BANNED
    In-Game Name:
    MuttiMatti
  3. Pescotti

Pescotti

• Sponsor
    In-Game Name:
    Pescotti
  4. Gwenhywar

Gwenhywar

• Head Moderator
    • Sponsor
    In-Game Name:
    Gwenhywar
    The idea is well made and clearly stated. Levi back then wanted a whitelist to "kick out noobs". Pescotti sees it as a seal of approvement to show non-Imdeitians this server is awesome. Though I have to say, I think, that it would not work this way. The whitelist is more an obstacle than an award to join a server. Further more are there so many potential people joining that the whitelist would have to be watched night and day. Additionally I do not see the problem of the currently leaving people, I personally think, that the leaving is due to the issues that are on the server currently. They will come back or had also other reasons to leave. Plus: An awesome build server will attract and give more awesomeness than the white-list.

Regarding the idea to make it more difficult for newbies to join to keep noobies and troublemakers out when they first want to join: Something is thought about currently...

ngennaro, Lord__Xemnas and 2mad like this.
  5. smcallah

smcallah

• Administrator
    In-Game Name:
    smcallah
    After we removed the original whitelist, we had more people joining than ever before. So with that, I don't see how a whitelist would help bring in more people.

TheCrazyJoel likes this.
  6. Pescotti

Pescotti

• Sponsor
    In-Game Name:
    Pescotti
    I understand both views. I think the reason why tons of people joined when the white list was removed because it was easier to join an awesome server that was restricted by a white list. I believe if we white list for a few months then remove it again, another rush will happen. A white list now, I would think wouldn't have an effect of the server. Then around November or December we would remove it, and that rush that once happened would happen again!

Lord__Xemnas likes this.
  7. HeyIm_jack1

HeyIm_jack1

If there is one, will we sign up with via fourm?

8. Pescotti

Pescotti

• Sponsor
    In-Game Name:
    Pescotti
    Right now, I just want to know the server's opinion on this idea. I dont even know if this is going to happen.

9. squeezal

squeezal

• Diamond
    In-Game Name:
    squeezal
    I think adding a whitelist and then removing it for the purposes of a population rush is a little rude. Why make people work to join, then remove that work they did so that we can attract a whole slew of people who don't have to do the work?

thejacoborg likes this.
  10. Lord_Aquarius

Lord_Aquarius

In-Game Name:
    Lord_Aquarius
    Some people might want it more after you hold it, but most players, (aka younger and less understanding players) might just give up at the thought of having to go through that process. Are you saying that we should put on the whitelist, and wait in the drought of players, before removing it again, to get a rush of players? I think most people want Deity to be more well-known again, so more people, even unwanted "noobish" ones can join towns, and keep some company. Even when I first started, I was immature, and was not the "wanted" player. I've learned, and became a different person.

11. BarryX15

BarryX15

• Sponsor
    In-Game Name:
    BarryX15
    I think i said that earlier... If ImDeity would have whitelist, i would never join.

There is small amount of people joining. Less than we used to have but still enough to populate server if we offer them some entertainment.
    We dont need to attract more people to come and see. We need to keep those who have found us already.

lilgrubs and thejacoborg like this.
  12. Phyrion

Phyrion

In-Game Name:
    Phyrion
    I honestly think the advantage would be, if they go through the trouble of whitelisting, they are MUCH more likely to stay on the server. People tend to appreciate things more when they work for them.

Maybe something like a 3 day trial, then needing to whitelist?

13. Rmarmorstein

Rmarmorstein

• Diamond
    In-Game Name:
    Rmarmorstein
    What About a Greylist. Where you cant do much Without Signing up on the portal, and Doing other Tasks that are important. I'm pretty sure though, that players who have not signed up on portal cant do much though. but that is a good Middle area. Because, it is not really a Whitelist, where you cant join, and you just dont have perms, until you sign up on portal, it is really not hard to do, so i dont see it being that much work

Mr_Sterling likes this.
  14. squeezal

squeezal

• Diamond
    In-Game Name:
    squeezal
    I know when I searched for servers to begin with, I immediately went to a list of non-whitelist servers because I'd never played multiplayer before. I wanted to try servers out and I didn't want to spend time and effort joining one to find out I didn't like it. Plus, big servers with lots of plug ins are confusing enough at first.

15. SonnyBassPlayer

SonnyBassPlayer

• Sponsor
    In-Game Name:
    SonnyBassPlayer
    In my opinion, adding a whitelist in this period won't help. As other users already said, the average player is too lazy to take time to do the whitelist thing, and seraches for easy to join servers, which is what I too did both for the first multiplayer servers and later. I understand why Pescotti said that the people who take that time would be better at playing because they may be more active, but even the average player or a lazy noob can later become a good member or an important one, and grow as a player, and maybe as a person.
    That's what I think, agree with who says a whitelist now would stop many new players from joining. And one thing, if the already signed up players have to sign up for something else, some of the people who have doubts about staying on might just let it go and not come up again...

BarryX15 likes this.
  16. Rmarmorstein

Rmarmorstein

• Diamond
    In-Game Name:
    Rmarmorstein
    Yeah, There are tons of new players that you can see if you are in that area of Spawn for a little bit. A lot Get confused and leave anyway, but if you can recruit them, those are good new players. If they have to Do some Whitelisting stuff to get in. i think that will all go away, they wont want to put in the effort to get onto the Whitelist

17. mas_destruction

mas_destruction

• Vip
    In-Game Name:
    mas_destruction
    I do like the idea of getting rid of unwanted players, I think the number of people on the server is far more important. Because if there are less people they probably won't get as many donations to keep some of the awesome things such as teamspeak up and running. And some of these perks really make Imdeity the server it is and if we took those away it would slowly work its way back to just an average server that you play once in a while. Not the one it is today where it is truelly amazing and you always want to play.

18. KiddieWish

KiddieWish

In-Game Name:
    KiddieWish
    I too for one don't really like the idea of bringing back a whitelist now.

When I first joined this server, I came because I wanted to experience what it was like to play multiplayer on this server and it didn't have a whitelist, so I was able to join right away after reading about the server on Minestatus. Going through a whole whitelist process was just unnecessary to me because I just wanted to play so if I saw a server had a whitelist process I immediately looked away from it.

Not sure if many players think the same way I do when they first join a server, but I'm sure many more than less, do. A whitelist isn't necessary especially in our circumstances.

thejacoborg likes this.
  19. Stephfork

Stephfork

• Sponsor
    In-Game Name:
    Stephfork
    So, my two cents on this..

When I was first joining Minecraft servers half a year ago, I immediately decided to(like many others who've posted here) only bother trying out servers without a whitelist. I think this would not only weed out uninterested, temporary players, but also those who are looking for a long term server or are willing to invest lots of time/effort into a server. I think we'd miss out on many new great members who aren't out to cause trouble.

I totally understand where you're coming from, getting rid of all the people who have the intentions of just joining a server to cause problems or whatever, this totally makes sense.

In my opinion, this would probably have some impact in weeding out those who grief or misbehave to some point, but it would probably hurt the server too much for it to be a positive addition.

BarryX15, xdysfunkx and thejacoborg like this.
  20. legoazurp

legoazurp

• Vip
    In-Game Name:
    LEGOAP
    less people join a server with white list, but it offers more protection, do we need more players or better protection?
    the mods are doing a great job, and many players have left, so I dont like the idea of a whitelist

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.