1. Play on the ImDeity Minecraft Multiplayer server -- Goto the "Multiplayer" section of Minecraft and type "mc.imdeity.com" to join!
    Dismiss Notice

Mall Price Data

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by btarb24, July 30, 2013.

1. btarb24

btarb24

• Developer
    • Sponsor
    In-Game Name:
    btarb24
    I wrote myself a mod that automatically collects all the price data from the mall as i walk around and adds it to a database. I initially intended to use it just for myself so i could know everyone's prices without having to actually look at the signs. Then i thought that perhaps other people would want it too so i made this post to gauge interest.

Info about mod:
    • it's always running
    • if a sign is loaded into memory (when the chunk loads) then it automatically parses the sign's text to see if it is a shop sign. (I use the same checks that the actual ChestShop plugin uses to avoid false positives).
    • It does not cause lag while you walk around (the exceptional case being only the very first time you run it. Then you can expect lag for the first 5 seconds or so while it adds the ~700 auctions to the database).
    • saves player name, item name, buy price per item, sell price per item, coordinates, and the time the auction was saved to the database

This data is pretty handy, and well, the mod saves you a TON of time. I was thinking a fair price for it would be 20,000 dei. This would include tech support :)

I could also just sell you a single copy of the data (without price history) for 2,000 dei. This would show you all the current prices so you don't have to walk around on your own and try to remember all the prices as you go.

If anyone is interested in buying it just let me know as i still need to make the web interface for it so you can see the data easier. I don't plan on putting much effort into the web page unless a bunch of people want it.

Also, if you have any other client-side mod ideas just let me know. They're fun to make :)

2. melvin484

melvin484

In-Game Name:
    TwitchyCake
    Thanks for doing this, must of took a lot of coding. :D Anyways, maybe I will get one. I dont know.

btarb24 likes this.
  3. Messier1994

Messier1994

• Diamond
    In-Game Name:
    messier1994
    Ok, 1. You're advertising your mod? I'm really confused here....

2. I think this ties into one of the Suggestions/Ideas rules of not suggesting mods. Though any mods or players may correct me if I'm wrong.

4. thejacoborg

thejacoborg

• Gold
    In-Game Name:
    thejacoborg
    He isn't suggesting a server side mod, he's offering to sell a client side mod that he made. Its kinda like rei's minimap or macro mod, which adds useful features to the client but not everyone on the server needs it to play.

5. btarb24

btarb24

• Developer
    • Sponsor
    In-Game Name:
    btarb24
    I don't understand the part that's confusing you. it's client side and it's relevant to this server since we use the ChestShop plugin for our mall. And i'm selling it for in-game currency only. It will not be available through any other avenue.

melvin484 and thejacoborg like this.
  6. ooopsy10975

ooopsy10975

In-Game Name:
    ooopsy10975
    Shouldn't this go to Art's of ImDeity : Kingdoms, since it falls in the same category as selling artwork.

Majora_Unmasked likes this.
  7. Messier1994

Messier1994

• Diamond
    In-Game Name:
    messier1994
    Ah. I see now. Sorry BTarb.

Majora_Unmasked likes this.
  8. thejacoborg

thejacoborg

• Gold
    In-Game Name:
    thejacoborg
    Also, someone else I know made something to do the same thing as this in february, so I set up a little website to find the cheapest items and their locations from the data. I can give you the source for it if you like, or you can just make your own interface
    How is this in any way related to art work?

iSquared, heinz_gruber and btarb24 like this.
  9. btarb24

btarb24

• Developer
    • Sponsor
    In-Game Name:
    btarb24
    art? I mean i guess coding is an art, but that's a pretty far stretch. Anyway, no, i don't think it should go into an art category, but i guess it doesn't make much difference to me where on the forum the post is housed. The point of it shall remain the same regardless. :)

Thanks for the offer, i appreciate it. I think i'll be ok though. Besides, the php part is fun to code too :) And after further thought, i realize that i can't really give the php pages to other people since having them install apache and php is a bit of a far stretch. I'll likely just add a command to output the prices to a csv file so they can load it in excel or google docs.

thejacoborg likes this.
  10. ooopsy10975

ooopsy10975

In-Game Name:
    ooopsy10975
    It shouldn't go to Kingdom Discussions since its a trade, but its not items that are being traded but something that is being created outside of minecraft, and I remember people selling banners and etc in Arts of ImDeity Kingdoms, and banners and mods are both made outside of minecraft. Also since coding is art, I thought it would go there.

11. btarb24

btarb24

• Developer
    • Sponsor
    In-Game Name:
    btarb24
    That's a fair assessment. I'm ok no matter where it lives. I assume most people are like me and only look at the list of threads on the front page anyway :p

BarryX15 and Lord__Xemnas like this.
  12. NAHANINJA

NAHANINJA

• Vip
    In-Game Name:
    NAHANINJA
    I want it so bad, but don't have the money D:

_SilentMan_ and melvin484 like this.
  13. melvin484

melvin484

In-Game Name:
    TwitchyCake
    Do you think you could have a free beta, for testing?

14. Vershye

Vershye

• Senior Moderator
    • Diamond
    In-Game Name:
    Vershye
    It's in the area it needs to be. Yes he's selling something created outside of the game, but it's for use inside the game.

ooopsy10975 likes this.
  15. mas_destruction

mas_destruction

• Vip
    In-Game Name:
    mas_destruction
    I have an interest in this mod. However, would you be willing to do 10k?

Also, will it be updated, with each update?
    And how will you be giving me access to this mod?

16. btarb24

btarb24

• Developer
    • Sponsor
    In-Game Name:
    btarb24
    Na, it's easy enough to test on my own :)

I'm not quite sure on price yet. I'm teetering between 15 and 20 at the moment. I'm only expecting to sell a handful of these.
    Yea it'll be updated as necessary. Though, it likely wont require any updates unless they change how signs are rendered.
    I'll give you a link that points a zip file. You'll just drop the zip in your mods folder and Forge will do the rest. Speaking of which, do most people use Forge? If not, then i'll make it so you can just drop it in the minecraft jar like an old-school mod.

17. Rmarmorstein

Rmarmorstein

• Diamond
    In-Game Name:
    Rmarmorstein
    I stopped using forge when 1.6 came out, and i could not easily use it with magic launcher anymore. I would be interested in getting the money to buy this, if it was an old-school style installation. (I'm poor right now :p)

mas_destruction likes this.
  18. eriqmerc

eriqmerc

• Gold
    In-Game Name:
    eriqmerc
    This is like a Minecraft version of a catalogue. Also, I have a few questions:

1) Can we have a screenshot of this mod in action?
    2) i) Why not put this mod on a website like Planet Minecraft or Minecraft Forums? You can get a bigger response. I'm just saying...
    ii) How will we know about bug fixes, upcoming features and/or Minecraft version updates?
    3) Is it visible in the distant future that this mod will be able to tell us if a shop is out of stock on an item?

An idea of mine: What if we could type in a command like '/[buy/sell] [player_name] [item] [amount]'? It might take a lot of work so it's just a suggestion.

19. btarb24

btarb24

• Developer
    • Sponsor
    In-Game Name:
    btarb24
    I'll go ahead and code it for both.

1: Right now it's just a database. I'm adding in chat commands tonight so you can interact with the data within the game. i'll likely post up a screenshot here in a couple hours when they're done.
    2: Kinda defeats the purpose of making dei from it ;) Plus, if i wanted everyone to have it i'd just add the code to the Chest Shop plugin itself. It's more fun if it's a bit exclusive, don't ya think? :)
    2.5?: Due to the high price, there will likely only be a handful of people that will have it. If there are bug fixes then i'll just send them all a message with a new download link. Though, the plan is to test it thoroughly myself so that there will not be a need for bug patch releases :) As for features, anyone is welcome to suggest them and i'll incorporate the ones that sound useful. As stated earlier, if a minecraft update breaks the mod then i'll go ahead and fix it, though being that am only modifying a stable portion of the code, i doubt that will happen anytime soon.
    3: No, that data is only available on the server. The best i could do is save a flag when you try to buy something and it's out of stock. Though, the only way i'd know to remove the flag is if you later bought the item and the chest was full again. So, this is likely a pretty useless feature.

re idea: I like the idea, but it's simply not feasible. The buy/sell command is only available on the server. The ChestShop plugin listens for sign interaction events, so that's the only way to initiate a buy/sell command. I do appreciate the suggestion though.

Johndahbomb and eriqmerc like this.
  20. The_Yogs

The_Yogs

• Sponsor
    In-Game Name:
    The_Yogs
    I want. 20k via portal or in-game?