1. Play on the ImDeity Minecraft Multiplayer server -- Goto the "Multiplayer" section of Minecraft and type "mc.imdeity.com" to join!
    Dismiss Notice

Keep ImDeity Beautiful.

Discussion in 'Kingdoms General' started by Sephronia, August 6, 2013.

?

How do you feel about the indiscriminate reaping of ImDeity's natural landscapes...?

1. It's an outrage! Someone must stop them! I will join you in your crusade!

35 vote(s)
    74.5%
  2. Pffft, not my problem. Let the noobs harvest the land...not like I leave my town anyway...

7 vote(s)
    14.9%
  3. You're a tree hugger! I'm going to go out of way now to ruin the blarhghgrgllglrlgl! *froth*

5 vote(s)
    10.6%
  1. Sephronia

Sephronia

• Sponsor
    In-Game Name:
    Sephronia
    Hi all,

Recently, in my wanderings through the south-western regions near my home, I've been encountering my personal peeve, the scourge of servers everywhere and the bane of beautiful landscapes.

Yes, I'm talking about clear cutting and strip-mining. The indiscriminate, wholesale slaughter of generations of trees and the ruthless gouging of the land for building materials.

Have you ever been walking through the wilderness and suddenly encountered a 'floating forest'...? Trees without trunks, leaves suspended in the air, stray blocks of wood their only tether to the land. Or perhaps an open pit, walls of cobblestone, floating blocks of dirt...? You might as well put up a sign that says 'Noobs were here!'
    Not only does it look untidy (and upsets my OCD), it's downright unnatural.

Now, I know that near the larger towns, this is a very immediate problem. Simply look at the Live Map and you notice the swathes of cleared land, strewn with random blocks, riddled with incomplete wooden structures cannibalised both from other buildings and from what was once a beautiful, life-giving forest. How long before it engulfs us all, before it's thousands of blocks of desolate landscape populated by depressing, ugly, half-built abominations of dirt, and cobble, and wood..? At what point do we draw the line and say 'No, I will not let this happen anymore!' ?

I would very much like to encourage everyone to both do and promote others to do these simple things to keep our natural landscapes beautiful.

If you cut down a tree, please make sure you harvest all the wood.
    Why only do half a job...? Pure laziness.
    'But Speh, I cant reach teh top woodses!!1' Au contraire my friend, you simply need to put a tiny amount of effort in and build a small dirt tower under yourself (Yes, the one's I don't like) at the point where the trunk was. Once you've harvested all the wood, please remember to clean up your dirt afterwards.

If you cut down a tree, please replant.
    Wood is renewable. Every tree you plant is another that can they be used later. In a way, you're really just investing in the future.

Encourage use of a tree farm.
    Rare as this is, if your town doesn't have one, make one. If your town does have a tree farm, please let new citizens know of its location and encourage them to make good use of it.

Stop building block towers, demolish them where you encounter them.
    Block towers are an eyesore, and they are visible from quite a distance, expanding their range of visual damage. Yes, we are mightily impressed by your ability to build a structure that.. (I dont even know what or why) but perhaps you could build something that requires a little more skill and imagination, yes...?

Become a Friend of the Forest!

Take time to explore your nearby landscape. Is there a forest nearby...?
    Yes...? Protect it! Encourage it, nurture it, expand it!
    No? Plant one! Perhaps it can become a focus for your community. A refuge from the bustle of the city, a gathering place for druids, somewhere you can pretend you're far away from everything else...

In closing, kingdoms and towns, both large and small, nature-loving and construction oriented, please appreciate the landscapes you are in. Once they are damaged, they will take a coordinated undertaking to fix.

The power is yours...

Seph

2. amyoulakk

amyoulakk

• Vip
    In-Game Name:
    amyoulakk
    Bless this post, walking in /wild and seeing so many of these unnessecary builds is an eyesore

3. XxNightmare126xX

XxNightmare126xX

In-Game Name:
    XxNightmare127xX
    I've noticed the same things and a previous server I visited had actual rules like "No 1x1 towers" and "No floating treetops". If it was found you made something like that, it was a temp ban. There is no excuse for making a server look like a noob tornado hit it, I just hope something is actually done about all this.

bran_bash, amyoulakk and Messier1994 like this.
  4. domeyboy2

domeyboy2

In-Game Name:
    Border_Terrier
    it is disgusting, i for one think they should bring in some rules like sephronia has said

5. eriqmerc

eriqmerc

• Gold
    In-Game Name:
    eriqmerc
    In case anyone is too lazy to read what Sephronia wrote and I hope that is no one, here's something that simplifies at least 50% of what he said.

[​IMG]

If you think about it, the flora, dirt, etc in /wild actually belong to ImDeity and not anyone else. Harvesting these resources, in a way, seems a lot like griefing.

Also, the signs at spawn state typing /wild will take them to an area where they can build. However, it does not say players cannot harvest resources in the wild. Signs should be placed alongside these signs mentioning the consequences. The warning in chat may be ignored by new players who still stick to /ot when talking to someone beside them instead of /l even after being told a frustrating amount of times.

6. Dragonslayer314

Dragonslayer314

In-Game Name:
    Dragonslayer314
    Actually, I'm going to disagree here. People that live in the wild can rely on the wild - I certainly did when I joined the server. Typo and I made a house in the wild, and used it much like a single-player world - get resources from the area (the forest), and live on your own in solitude. We did buy some stuff from the mall (carrots, melons and potatoes for farms), but since /homes are limited and it can take a while to get back to your house (especially since /main after /mine always puts them back at spawn, in which case you have to burn one of your 40 /homes or get lucky in the correct quadrant of /wild and walk up to 1k blocks), what, I ask you, would encourage the newbies living in the wild (and not a town) to do that? "Hmm, I can use a limited resource (/homes) or put a lot of effort into walking back to my house after waiting and attempting to get to the correct /wild quadrant, or I can harvest some nearby trees. Not a very tough decision at all, eh, eriq?

7. Micklen

Micklen

• Sponsor
    In-Game Name:
    Micklen
    I agree with keeping the landscape looking as natural as possible. Sometimes earth must be moved to build. But clear-cutting and strip mining should not be done in /main. If you need wood, cut down the trees; and replant. (And please do not leave floating trees.) If you need other materials go to /mine.

With the advent of /wild, new players had a quick way to get out of the Spawn area and start building. It should be a starting area while people are figuring out which town they want to join. Players that build a nice house in /wild can keep it there. But dirt huts, cobblestone builds, and 1x1 towers should be removed as soon as their usefulness is up. If you built a dirt hut for safety on your first scary night on the server, and then joined a town, spend the few minutes to tear it down again.

Currently there are no server rules that protect against the wholesale clear-cutting and strip mining of the land, except in claimed areas. A town's property influence expands 300 blocks away from their buildings/roads/etc.. If someone destroys the land within that area, you can ticket it to get it fixed and the played punished. (Start with a convo with the player.) If your town expands into an area that has already been desecrated, it will be up to your town to repair the damage.

And, Seph, I really wanted to vote the third option because it made me laugh :)

8. Driver_X

Driver_X

In-Game Name:
    Driver_X
    Although I agree with this thread's intention, I believe it is completely ineffective.

As it was stated, these places are like a 'Noob was here' sign, players who logged in for the very first time 5 minutes ago.
    You can't approach them and say it is not good to destroy the wild, nor that cobble cubes are ugly;
    To add signs around informing it won't work, a person who makes a long strip mine on main before notice that there are no ores, simply does not pay attention to signs, not even to the environment (or believes to have an extremely bad luck);

Noobs who can't read signs that are right in front of them won't read the forums, as I believe these guidelines applies mostly to them. Replanting and to cut down the whole tree are basic rules of every town farm, my town don't even have a sign asking people to do it and my new residents do it anyway, players who live in tows, at least I believe so, would rather go to the farm than type /wild and roam around until a tree is found, or leave town borders and destroy a nearby forest. Areas around towns and far from /wild ports are mostly clean.

The only situation that applies to players who would care about the general concept of 'Keep ImDeity Beautiful' is about deserts and snow biomes which are destroyed by real active players. Mining world has no map (for obvious reasons) so lazy explorers use /main's to find the resources they need.

To temp ban people who do it does not work as well. First, if we ban a noob/newb who builds a 1x1 tower, we'd get rid of most of new players, a temp banned newbie has no reason to come back, so he won't.
    Although it is not good looking, this devastation is not griefing (that deserves a ban), is lack of knowledge or experience and that dirt tower builder may be a good player after some time.
    Besides that, we are talking about it like 'black-white' when the truth is that there are several grey tones in between. When a cobble cube or a destroyed tree cross the line between innocence and ambient griefing? Not to mention how hard would be to log block all that area.

I really believe there is nothing to be done in this case except for periodic resets on these areas.
    Information is there, they who do it or don't really care about it, or simply don't believe they are doing something wrong.

Also, there was a thread very similar to this recently.

Takhz, MidiMixer, ImDeity and 2 others like this.
  9. eriqmerc

eriqmerc

• Gold
    In-Game Name:
    eriqmerc
    If you watch videos when most people play minecraft, you'll notice that they don't tend to replant or 'give back to Mother Nature'. Sure, once in a while they'll realise they've got a lot of saplings and replant it but most of the time they'll just store them in a chest and forget about them. I believe this is the mindset that most of the new players have and it certainly isn't something that's all too good. Remember that most of these newbies are young kids with little patience. Something like 'tree farms' would seem like too much work for them.

I know what you're trying to say. It's a lot of work walking back and forth when gathering resources from the mining world or the mall but that's the price you pay for not staying in a town, though Sephronia has unlimited /home. I'm not saying living in the wild is a BAD thing, it's an opinionated topic.

All in all, there's not much we can really do. The other unhappy players and I can grumble and complain all we like but unless we want this server's population to decrease, I think it's just best we all bite our tongues. Some things the mods have said,
    Next time you wonder, ask yourself this, why did I stop living in the wild and chose to live in Doha aside from wanting to make friends?

10. Vershye

Vershye

• Senior Moderator
    • Diamond
    In-Game Name:
    Vershye
    The only 'solution' to this is for you, the experienced players, to watch for and help the lazy and/or inexperienced players and teach them the ways of non-nubbyness.

Other than that, the periodic regeneration of the wilds done by smc is how it is being handled.

If you want to form up a group that goes through and replants the forests, removes the 1x1 towers and fills in the 1x1 holes, go ahead and do so. But keep in mind that you don't touch anything that looks even remotely like a house/living area or you could be the one charged with griefing. Leave those things to smc to regen himself.

11. melvin484

melvin484

In-Game Name:
    TwitchyCake
    Okay, so I think we now know that vershye has a point. Why not start a group to deal with these kinda things? I completely agree with seph, and thats why I want a reset (which is not going to happen) so why not deal with this ourselves?
    The community is in charge of what the server looks like, so why not take care of it?

12. Dragonslayer314

Dragonslayer314

In-Game Name:
    Dragonslayer314
    Another thread already exists for this here, as Driver said.

13. melvin484

melvin484

In-Game Name:
    TwitchyCake
    Ah. Okay, thank you.

14. Mojinax

Mojinax

• VIP
    In-Game Name:
    Mojinax

Your first two sentences are just wrong. The dirt belongs to all players if not claimed, and is therefore allowed to be used in each player's liking. That's minecraft without Towny, the original Multiplayer Survival. And they can harvest resources in the wild, there's nothing quite wrong with that. It's how we used to do on ImDeity for a long while in the beginning. I'm all for keeping everything natural, but I'm not all for Project Nature. It will lead to more meaningless bans and warnings, and constant bleeping (insert the word) and moaning.

It's a lost cause without the admins help, is the thing. And I'm against the admins stepping in and protecting nature for my last sentence in the first paragraph. I like things natural or reforged by men to look natural, I just favor logic above all else.

For Sephronia; You're preaching to the wrong people. The problem-causers, in your case, tend to have poor communication skills, build in the wild, hardly come on the forums except to vote, and often have an average server life-span of 10 days. Either that or they're trolls. They probably don't even know we have a forum.

Takhz, Dragonslayer314 and Driver_X like this.
  15. melvin484

melvin484

In-Game Name:
    TwitchyCake
    Dont worry, me and bethh and minibride have started the Wild Restoration Project! We will try to clean up /wild by cleaning up dirt towers, fixed the ground, made pools, and even fixed up a dirty garden and turned it beatiful!
    [​IMG]Check out our thread, to see more.

Sephronia likes this.
  16. eriqmerc

eriqmerc

• Gold
    In-Game Name:
    eriqmerc
    So I guess, the only thing we can do is accept the sad truth that all we can do is: Nothing. :(

17. melvin484

melvin484

In-Game Name:
    TwitchyCake
    I just said what me mini and bethh are doing. And were doing pretty good so far, so if you want to pitch in then you can!

18. eriqmerc

eriqmerc

• Gold
    In-Game Name:
    eriqmerc
    Sounds nice but the thing I'm concerned about is that after repairs, within a week's or month's time, some new player is just going to come along and do a number two all over our hard work.

19. melvin484

melvin484

In-Game Name:
    TwitchyCake
    Exactly, we do a check over random times on different places and fix them.
    Plus, if this is the case then they will get banned for griefing since I can Log Block.

20. Dragonslayer314

Dragonslayer314

In-Game Name:
    Dragonslayer314
    But it won't be griefing, just the same mindless destruction of the wild, which, although nubby, is not against the rules.

Driver_X and melvin484 like this.