1. Play on the ImDeity Minecraft Multiplayer server -- Goto the "Multiplayer" section of Minecraft and type "mc.imdeity.com" to join!
    Dismiss Notice

In-game chat is messy

Discussion in 'Help / Support / Guides' started by BarryX15, April 15, 2012.

?

What is your opinion on ImDeity game chat?

1. It works well now, no need to change anything.

29.5%
  2. Something has to be done.

36.4%
  3. It would be nice if i wouldnt need to switch off few channels everytime i log in.

29.5%
  4. I have to leave global channel to be able to read the rest.

9.1%
  5. I already switch off all except /tc and /l and still its too big mess.

9.1%
  6. Use less colors!

15.9%
  7. Use more colors!

15.9%
  8. I dont care, i use /h for everything because its yellow and well visible.

6.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. BarryX15

BarryX15

• Sponsor
    In-Game Name:
    BarryX15
    So, i finally got upset by in-game chat. Please:

1. make chat plugin remember which channels did i switch off. Having to type /ch leave pvp, /ch leave ot, /ch leave trade and so on every time i log in sucks.

2. make separate [death] channel for death announcements so they can be switched off. If not possible, use dark grey (color #8) or dark blue (color #1) for them at least so they dont mess with talk so much.

3. make separate [events] channel for event signup messages and advices. I will never join PvP, spleef or mob event and i dont want to read about them in chat.

4. make separate [hint] channel for advices to join town, vote, read wiki, read rules, use /h channel for questions, and for every other message in that [*] channel that cannot be switched off. I live in town, vote daily, use wiki, know rules, ask and answer in /h, and i dont want to see these advices anymore.

5. use less colors and sort them better. I want to see /l more than /g. Can /l stay white (color #f) and /g be light gray (color #7) as /trade or /pvp are? Can messages about someone voted or mining world reset be less colored?

Okay, i calmed down a bit, this just had to go out. When there were 50 players online, chat went fine even with all channels on, but with 200+ people online it is very hard to read, especially in big towns with busy town chat. I searched for keywords "global" (only links to ban appeals) and "channel" (nothing relevant found, too) with no success to find someone complaining about this, so maybe i am the only one having so big problem with chat, or did i miss some magical command mentioned on Wiki?

I will be more than happy to make better suggestion if this complaint will get some positive feedback. And i will be even more happy if admins are working on changes already.

Lets vote, multiple responses in poll are allowed and votes are displayed publicly.

Qazz, BigDeer, cliff777 and 8 others like this.
  2. btarb24

btarb24

• Developer
    • Sponsor
    In-Game Name:
    btarb24
    I agree with Barry and i've actually posted on this topic a month or so ago. The chat is extremely cluttered. It seems that anytime someone things of a new message to display in chat they try to make it stand out as much as possible by spewing color all over it. The only thing that really needs color is when a mod/admin is speaking. All this bloat and color just diminishes the readability of the chat as a whole. Here are some other suggestions:

Make death messages only announce to people within 100 blocks of the person that died. Why do i care if someone i've never heard of died because they noob holed themselves into lava? If i'm within 100 blocks of them then there's a good chance their death may mean something to me. Otherwise, if i'm on the other side of the map then what's it matter?

Get rid of the donator tags. We dont need to know who has money and who doesn't.

Lessen the visual distraction of the class tags. There is little reason to display that I'm a lord while i talk in /g.. especially in a bright color

Rillaith likes this.
  3. Cantwait2bhome

Cantwait2bhome

In-Game Name:
    cantwait2bhome
    I just joined, but I agree that it can get a little messy at times. In fact, until reading this thread, I didn't realize that you could leave a channel at all.

Personally, I don't always mind seeing some of the tags, though. It can lend some credence to what certain individuals say.

4. christian013

christian013

In-Game Name:
    Christian013
    I turn off all channels but local and tc everytime i log on. But ever since they turned on the glitchy antifly grief protection i have been getting kicked alot and it is a pain to leave all the channels everytime i log on. What could make it a lot easier is having a command to leave all channels but the channel you typed in like "/ch o l" would mean that you leave all the channels but the local channel and it sets that to your active channel. That would be a lot easier then. /leave g /leave h /leave ot /leave trade /leave pvp /leave recruite /ch l which is what i (and I'm sure many of you) type in everytime we log in.

owning254 likes this.
  5. Vershye

Vershye

• Senior Moderator
    • Diamond
    In-Game Name:
    Vershye
    I've never left any channel and haven't had any problems keeping up with things and keeping them straight. *shrugs*

Qazz, Harry_C, Joeyson and 2 others like this.
  6. Blackbullet17

Blackbullet17

In-Game Name:
    Blackbullet17
    I'm totally new to the server but I've been on a couple other servers. This server's chat drives me crazy. There is so much information being thrown at me that it take up my whole page, then displays the message a short while later again. I like the idea of a hints channel that displays some of the messages.

However, the biggest thing I've noticed is that my chat is flooded with grey. I don't get why everyone says fewer colors (unless they just mean the player tags), cause it is so hard to see the difference between global, local, and trade. A different server I've played on uses colors for the entire chat message. This, to me is either brilliance or common sense. When someone posts a trade, you know it cause it's bright blue. Someone talking local? maybe red or yellow. I feel that this would clean up the chat tremendously.

7. btarb24

btarb24

• Developer
    • Sponsor
    In-Game Name:
    btarb24
    I like that a whole channel has a different color.. ie: town=blue, global = white, private = purple. What i don't like is that we overuse colors for other things that have less usefulness.. such as the tags.

Rillaith likes this.
  8. Travis10123

Travis10123

In-Game Name:
    Travis10123
    yeh i know the tags are for the people who donate and its a great way to incourage donating but they do make it confusing at times

9. Harry_C

Harry_C

• Gold
    In-Game Name:
    Harry_C
    When the hours noobs are on and they all have grey names it is really hard to read chat.

10. eltono999

eltono999

• Sponsor
    In-Game Name:
    eltono999
    Ive never found it all too bad, but sometimes it gets hard to see local chat. I miss the older days where chat wasnt used all that much and wasnt as cluttered.

11. Rillaith

Rillaith

• Sponsor
    In-Game Name:
    Rillaith
    Speaking as someone who donated, I really REALLY don't care about the chat tag. I changed it to get rid of the big flashy "this person gave away some money" more than because I wanted it (though the humour in it amuses me). I don't feel a need to plaster it all over the place. I get plenty of "private" benefits (several of which I forget I have or haven't actually used at all yet), and I want to shove it down your throats as much as I want to show off that I give to charities monthly too. (I.e. I don't!)

So, consider this support from someone who supposedly donated to get the colourful tag as part of their donation package... :)

btarb24 likes this.
  12. nolarboot

nolarboot

• Sponsor
    In-Game Name:
    megashedinja
    I'm with Vershye in that I don't really have much of a problem keeping up with the chatlog. However, it might be worth looking into if we could get a "left-channel remembrance" kind of thing, where if you left /h when you logged in two months ago, you'll still not be in that channel when you sign back in. But that's just me.

As far as the noob thing goes, /ignore works wonders when talking about the chatlog. Granted, it's not foolproof, as they sometimes feel the need to /tell you something (don't know whether this has been fixed or not), but for the most part, it clears out the chat pretty well. For me, at least.

And the Donator Tag is there for a reason. Some people donated to the server in order to let others know they did, which is a perk they deserve, since it's promised to them (subject to change); if so, good for them. Personally, I enjoy seeing [Wanderer] in front of my name, because it lets people know who I am. Don't you remember me? :D

13. Blackbullet17

Blackbullet17

In-Game Name:
    Blackbullet17
    ok, I have seen more of the chat. I like the town chat and the help chat. However, Trade, global, and local are all grey are they not? Those three are the only ones that I think clutter chat up... other than the tags... oh, and the constant server messages....

14. Harry_C

Harry_C

• Gold
    In-Game Name:
    Harry_C
    In my opinion tags make it much easier to see who is who therefore easier to read chat.

15. iSquared

iSquared

• Senior Moderator
    • Gold
    In-Game Name:
    iSquared
    First, to start with: Be happy we have this chat plugin! The standard Vanilla chat is just serious madness....

Secondly, I am a moderator and I have to keep track of chat and I have NO problem following chat, whatsoever.
    I do agree about the 'too much notifications' thing, however I can ignore it,
    Also, a long time ago, we had the deaths on a specific channel, I don't know why they disabled that (most likely plugin update).

In my opinion, the chat is okay.

Harry_C and Moiriana like this.
  16. Blackbullet17

Blackbullet17

In-Game Name:
    Blackbullet17
    That's all fine and dandy if it's "okay"
    However, why would anyone want to settle for just "okay"
    Who cares how much better than vanilla it is if there is something better?

We are not just complaining because we are trying to cause change. I've seen much better chat systems, that's my opinion. If someone in power were able to see where it could be a little better, then maybe it could be improved. My only point at this time is that general, trade, and local are all grey. How is that a good thing?

Now to backtrack, the chat isn't really that bad. Perhaps not to the point that it's more important than the other other billion projects going on for the server. But if it's a simple matter to change the colors, then I personally see no point in not changing them.

17. AntonioBarbarian

AntonioBarbarian

In-Game Name:
    AntonioBarbarian
    I dont see much of a problem in chat to be honest, but, yes, i like this color idea where every chat has its own color, also, i belive the "Remember the channels i left" idea is VERY GREAT, i used to leave /g off as i didnt wanted to be bothered by 100+ noobs asking the same thing over and over and over again, or just being a common nuisance, chat might be a bit messy, but we can make it better, i belive this ideas would be a good inprovement to the server

18. Realm1121

Realm1121

• Sponsor
    In-Game Name:
    Realm1121
    Reflecting on what alot of people who have said their 2 bits about the chat here and this is what I think should personally go down...

-Remove all tags besides staff tags
    -Move all current donation tags too the /r page

optional
    -move the class tag to the /r aswell

it'd make people use the /r more and want to learn more of the server commands, in my opinion.

This way the chat aint so colorful with the tags and chats can be differentiated by color of the channel being used again.

option b:

make it to any tags are able to be turned off just like the channels.

btarb24 likes this.
  19. btarb24

btarb24

• Developer
    • Sponsor
    In-Game Name:
    btarb24
    Excellent summary. Those suggestions solve all of the major problems. Thanks for posting that.

20. Joeyson

Joeyson

In-Game Name:
    Joeyson
    Chat is fine to me, i never have to leave any channels. The only complaint i have is that when your in a /tell and you switch to town chat, your still in the town chat and the /tell. But thats easily fixed by going to /l.