1. Play on the ImDeity Minecraft Multiplayer server -- Goto the "Multiplayer" section of Minecraft and type "mc.imdeity.com" to join!
    Dismiss Notice

Craftsman Class

Discussion in 'Suggestions / Ideas' started by Tigers12346, July 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tigers12346

Tigers12346

Hello! I am new to the server and new to Teamspeak as well! I really love the idea of classes and the idea of money implemented into Minecraft. I have been looking at all the classes and i really like the craftsman class because of the cool lift feature! However, I think that this is one of the only 2 features that other people would really need or use. No one could really use a rail system because of the many barriers around spawn, people may need pistons set, but it seems like merchants could sell them for a lot cheaper, and yes, the redstone lamps are a good feature that everyone would use but the cons outnumber the pros. Like I said before, I really like the Craftsman's Class, but I wish there was more of a need for them.

2. eriqmerc

eriqmerc

• Gold
    In-Game Name:
    eriqmerc
    You aren't allowed to place rails in spawn anyway. You can place rails in your town and that's only if you have permission. Some towns have a rail system in them. Sure, merchants can sell pistons dirt cheap. They can even give them away for free. At the end of the day though, only the craftsmen can place the pistons. Other cool features for craftsmen include placing water and redstone.

I read somewhere on the website that ImDeity is planning to implement more features in the craftsmen class at higher levels soon though I may be mistaken.

3. Venithar

Venithar

• Sponsor
    In-Game Name:
    Venithar

I'll just start with the easy part here... water...
    Yes, craftsmen can place water, as a matter of fact, anyone can place water for the low low price of 1 dei, since that is the going rate of an ice block...

That brings us to the redstone/piston dilema...
    Craftsmen can place both, and only they can place them. So, when someone gets bored and has some extra money to spend on overly expensive (3 dei per redstone/12 dei per piston) redstone contraptions, like auto-farms, then a craftsmen may be able to make a little money for it, but if you go by the actual cost of placement, in the end, people tend not to want that redstone contraption due to cost (my farm cost around 8k dei + craftsmen fees). Now, I can say I didn't need the farm the size it is, but meh, I had the money to waste. Point being, the costs for redstone are too high for the usefulness. The most overpriced is the redstone lamp, glowstone can be placed for free, yet a lamp, which is a glowstone block, with 4 redstone around it, suddenly is costing 2x the cost of simply placing that redstone and the free glowstone block.

And lastly, rails....
    This confuses me the most, why charge 5 dei per rail? This makes rail systems even more prohibitive then redstone contraptions. I really have problems understanding why redstone and rails are such an issue on this server. Even the creative ranks show that redstone is not wanted, even though redstone is such an integral part in the craftsman rank. If the creative junk is supposed to show the building abilities of a player, then why restrict that ability?

Anyway, long story short, craftsmen have become pretty much useless, and are unlikely to become useful again in the near future. It is much easier to just take a class that can make steady dei, like the lords that have to type 13 characters 4-5 times a day to make dei, or the vendors who can just put stuff on the web auction or in a shop.

I read that too, over a year ago....

Zeuqzalev, LupusOmegaX and ngennaro like this.
  4. Gwenhywar

Gwenhywar

• Head Moderator
    • Sponsor
    In-Game Name:
    Gwenhywar
    I admit that the classes were not done for quite a while, but there was and still is a lot of stuff to do on the server. And minecraft updates do not make it easier to make new things or reorganize old things on the server. We want to keep up with the things that are there. But anyways the classes will be there, it is though a matter of time. It is not just classes a lot of other stuff is attached to them. All this had to be worked out and is/was worked on for months now. There is no reason to see one class over another cause some players are just no good lords or vendors or craftsmen. I admit and most staff does, that craftsmen are the onlyclass recently that has not the easiest ways of making money (which imo mostly is because a wide range of them does not even try to make money with their ability), but there are and saying they are useless is not needed.

Zeuqzalev likes this.
  5. BarryX15

BarryX15

• Sponsor
    In-Game Name:
    BarryX15
    Tigers, some abilities of craftsman class have been removed or became obsolete, but we had the same situation about year ago with merchant class, which used to be totally useless. Now merchants have some perks and we can expect that craftsmen will get some as well, maybe next year. Patience is a key.

Railway - we had (and still have) plans for railway system interconnecting towns but it is hard to protect it against griefing and also it is hard to tweak town permissions to allow visitor from other town to use town rails. Horses in 1.6 update make railway even less useful because they are faster than carts and roads need less protection and maintenance than rails.

Pistons - yes, merchants can sell cheap pistons, redstone and other stuff but only craftsmen can place them. So if you want to place some special blocks (redstone, redstone torch, piston, redstone lamp, water bucket, rails, special lift signs) you have to be craftsman or to ask some craftsman to place it for you. If you can live without them, then you can choose another class.

Zeuqzalev likes this.
  6. legoazurp

legoazurp

• Vip
    In-Game Name:
    LEGOAP
    The craftsman class is in a crisis. This is nothing new or unseen on the server. Just like the craftsman class now, last year merchants had no perks. The best and only thing you can do is to sit back, relax, and wait. Choose the class that fits your playing style.

The problem will be resolved sooner or later (probably later ;-) ).

7. ngennaro

ngennaro

• Vip
    In-Game Name:
    ngennaro
    If 1.5 redstone items were added craftsmen would be more useful xD

8. Typodestoyer

Typodestoyer

In-Game Name:
    Typodestoyer
    I think that I'll throw in my two cents as a former craftsman. At first, the Craftsman class seemed like my thing- ability to use redstone, which I love building with! Then I heard of limitations- water buckets are rendered pointless by ice, all redstone wiring is overpriced, no usage of sticky pistons or dispensers AT ALL. I had a moment of hope on the 1.5 update, but it was shattered with the lack of introduction of the items in the update. So I said "Screw it", used the money I'd gotten from months of wasting my time as a craftsman, and got a mall shop. Why? So I didn't feel absolutely useless! I needed a purpose, something to do, on the server. Let me quote the wiki list of the level 1 bonuses to prove the point that others are trying to make:

Lets look at this in pieces:
    Lift signs-

PROS: Arguably the only currently useful feature of Craftsmen. They allow for easy up-down transportation, and are free to place.

CONS: Because they are free, there cannot really be a demand unless somebody creates a "Craftsman's Union" per se to enforce a price, because even a 1 dei job is still a profit.
    Placing fees:

PROS: Only ones who can place these many items! Great for anything requiring redstone!

CONS: There are many different downsides to this. Rails are too expensive for any practical usage. Pistons are basically used as tables and that is it, other than in farms. Redstone, Redstone Repeaters, and Redstone Torches are low in cost, but the cost adds up when you want to make something that actually does something worth working on. Redstone Lamps, as Venithar pointed out, are also overpriced, especially considering that they require a glowstone block. In addition, water is obsolete, because ice. Lastly, same issue as lift signs- unless there is a server-wide agreement on minimum price for placing, then there doesn't need to be a demand unless the person requiring the service feels generous. Even a ten-percent charge is not worth the amount of time that it takes to design and actually place the redstone, unless it is a job like "put a piston here" or "put redstone lamps here" or "put rails here".
    OVERALL ASSESSMENT:

Craftsmen will be more interesting after the 1.5 update is added, but will not reach their full potential until items such as sticky pistons are added and the prices reach a more reasonable level.

9. heinz_gruber

heinz_gruber

• Sponsor
    In-Game Name:
    heinz_gruber
    My 2 cents.

When i first selected a class i went for craftsmen. i wanted to place water for farms, and the ability to use redstone etc.

At the time i was under the impression that higher level craftsmen were in development, and was hopeful that a master craftsmen level would be later available to either reduce cost for placement, or free placement of certain items, and possibly more to the class itself to make it even more useful.

I was most interested in super breaker. The reason being mining out big caves/tunnels for rails etc could of been make easier with this feature.

Anyways for a short time i was offering redstone services and placing signs etc, also making doorbells with noteblocks etc. which for a while held me over. But i was not making anywhere near the amount that lords were, who were not spending money on placement of items, but were getting salaries and discounts to claiming plots which were then sold for the full amount, which gave them a money spinner.

More often than not, people would rather go without certain things than pay a high price which the craftsmen should deserve for his hard work.

I remember vendor classes being without purpose for a time, but that was fixed with the mall.
    So i am hopeful the craftsmen class will be worked on, but no amount of complaining will make it happen any faster.

As i said i was a craftsmen well over a year ago, and i kept the class for a long time due to the fact i could still place my own water and redstone, but the fun had gone out of the class rather quickly as a way to earn money or provide a service.

But i trust that one day Imdeity will treat me to something new. I just have to hold out a bit longer.

Just a quick opinion on sticky pistons, as they get mentioned so often.

I am aware why sticky pistons are disabled. And yes they have the ability to cause chaos in the wrong hands.

If Deity has not found a safe way for them to be implemented then sadly they wont happen.

What do you value more? your safe house on your plot? or the ability to place pistons at the risk of getting griefed and therefor opening up the floodgates to noobs who would abuse the system and end up getting banned? Which ultimately would only hurt the server more than it would help it.

If it is not safe to do so than i am all for them staying disabled.

But of course if there is a safe way to do it then it must be done because there is no reason to keep certain things out of the game, because that would only serve to stifle creativity and make players bored even faster.

Just my opinion. Thanks for reading.

10. Dragonslayer314

Dragonslayer314

In-Game Name:
    Dragonslayer314
    Well, actually, you couldn't do that. You didn't make enough money as a craftsman to get a mallshop (Same point), so you took 35-40k from me! :p

11. zachary

zachary

• Vip
    In-Game Name:
    killer34569
    really dragon you had to mention that. it sounds kinda mean so i am wondering if you guys are still togeather

12. Dragonslayer314

Dragonslayer314

In-Game Name:
    Dragonslayer314
    We're twins who live in the same house in-game and out of game. I was making a poke at Typo while reinforcing the point that the laborer class needs to be upgraded in some way.

Majora_Unmasked, tchand and ngennaro like this.
  13. Goober

Goober

• Vip
    In-Game Name:
    EchoedSorrow
    How does that reinforce the point..? All you said was he didn't have the money so he borrowed.

14. Dragonslayer314

Dragonslayer314

In-Game Name:
    Dragonslayer314
    The point that it's reinforcing is that they don't make that much money/it is much more difficult and class-irrelevant for them to make money.

tchand and ngennaro like this.
  15. ranieldidge

ranieldidge

• Sponsor
    In-Game Name:
    ranieldidge
    Really looking forward to the prospect of becoming a higher rank than laborer.
    It has been a long time coming but i am sure that it will be worth it.

[EDIT: Gravedigging stopped here. Thread closed. ~Gwen]

Majora_Unmasked likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.