1. Play on the ImDeity Minecraft Multiplayer server -- Goto the "Multiplayer" section of Minecraft and type "mc.imdeity.com" to join!
    Dismiss Notice

Buyout auction for towns with back taxes

Discussion in 'Suggestions / Ideas' started by btarb24, April 19, 2012.

1. btarb24

btarb24

• Developer
    • Sponsor
    In-Game Name:
    btarb24
    We've seen the same towns on the soon-to-be-deleted list for quite some time now. Some of them are on there because the town staff no longer plays on the server. Once these towns fail there will just be an abandoned ghost town with no plot protection. This is certainly a shame.

I'd like to propose a Buyout feature.

step 1: a town goes goes on the fail list for back taxes
    step 2: bidding is now open for someone to buy out the town. Auction length is 14 days.
    step 3: anyone can bid. Their account should be verified that they have the necessary funds.
    step 4: if the town has not yet paid their taxes by the closing date then the town is sold to the person with the highest bid.

If someone bids close to the end of the 14 days then 48 hours will be added to the closing date. This will eliminate sniping and allow for fair and competitive purchasing.

This system should allow ample for the town to pay their taxes and cancel the bidding process. If they can't raise the money in 14 days then they need new management anyway.

Feel free to modify the protocol i've suggested.. my main goal is to allow those failing towns to get new management.

nolarboot, C0nfuseki, Kassial and 8 others like this.
  2. eltono999

eltono999

• Sponsor
    In-Game Name:
    eltono999
    The plan was always to auction off towns on the deletion list instead of deleting them. Last time i asked deity this was still the plan.

3. angryjukebox

angryjukebox

• Diamond
    In-Game Name:
    Angryjukebox
    I'd love to see this, currently there's a town I use to get to my build site and would happily buy it to be saved from deletion. The mayor has obviously stopped playing, and the other resident hasn't been on is the same amount of time.

4. Qazz

Qazz

• Sponsor
    In-Game Name:
    Qazz
    I agree, it's sad seeing towns go down because of careless mayors... It'd be nice to see this happen.

5. tenro

tenro

• Sponsor
    In-Game Name:
    tenro
    i might buy a town, but i dont really want to leave my current town either... i wish i could be a member/owner of multiple towns...

ngennaro and thejacoborg like this.
  6. BarryX15

BarryX15

• Sponsor
    In-Game Name:
    BarryX15
    I dont think town deletion will turn town plots into unprotected land, this would be great opportunity to grief all valuables. So deleted town will still be there as dead memorial.

It is always better if residents can pay for their town and keep it running, so i suggest slight tweak to auction:

step 1: town budget goes to negative. Start of 7-day period to collect enough money to pay taxes.
    Town will show up on fail list so people are warned and residents have time to solve it.

step 2: town still has no money. Start of 7-day auction period for residents only. Minimum bid equals actual town debt, lower bids dont count. Bids higher than actual player's money dont count too.
    Lets say town debt is -1500 dei and someone bids 2000 dei but in next 3 days of auction town debt grows to -2100 dei. So he has to bid again, at least 2100 dei, otherwise his bid doesnt count.

step 3: no one of residents won auction and town still has no money . Start of new 7-day auction period for everyone. Same bidding rules.

How to solve bidding in last second: Bids in less than 12 hours before auction closes will add 24 hours to closing time.

Buenian likes this.
  7. Leviathan_Ziz

Leviathan_Ziz

• Gold
    In-Game Name:
    Leviathan_Ziz
    Dream-shatter says: This is already the plan, i believe Deity is working on the automatization of this proces.

8. BTFoverload

BTFoverload

• Sponsor
    In-Game Name:
    BTFoverload
    In a way i'd love the opportunity to purchase small towns, put an assistant of mine as mayor, and sell them later for a profit, i fear that as this is already what some players do, not naming names fizzy, this would make it even easier for said players to break the 500k margin.

ajmartin300 likes this.
  9. BarryX15

BarryX15

• Sponsor
    In-Game Name:
    BarryX15
    Why so jealous? If someone can buy a town, put some effort to it and sell with profit, then let him do it. I like the fact buying failed town is cheaper than starting new one, so we will not end with many ghost towns around and no space to expand ours.

10. BlueDude265

BlueDude265

In-Game Name:
    BlueDude265
    I feel the idea could be changed like this:
    1. Town goes on fail list
    2. Town fails to pay taxes and when ImDeity decides to dissolve it it is put of the auction list instead. (This way the town is not being taken from them when it was not going to be dissolved)
    3. BTarb24's idea...

Johndahbomb likes this.
  11. nolarboot

nolarboot

• Sponsor
    In-Game Name:
    megashedinja
    Question: What becomes of the negative balance once the town is turned over? Will the new Mayor pay the deficit? What if s/he can't afford it? o_O

(In another light, this might prevent the mass buying of towns just to sell them later at a profit!)

12. Vershye

Vershye

• Senior Moderator
    • Diamond
    In-Game Name:
    Vershye
    If the town is in the negative when it's sold/given to a new mayor, then the new Mayor has a negative town balance.

It is then their responsibility to get it back to positive if they want it to prosper.

13. nolarboot

nolarboot

• Sponsor
    In-Game Name:
    megashedinja
    Righto then. Thanks Vershye. :)

14. Bigbadbear88

Bigbadbear88

In-Game Name:
    Bigbadbear88
    I like this idea. I have always wanted to get a town, but being the 1000 dei-er that I am it seems impossible. Although, if I could buy a town for like 5k I would be able to get one.

15. wassup23

wassup23

In-Game Name:
    wassup23
    I think it's a great idea. Any dead towns are just going to be a waste of space and memory on the server. It would also improve the flow of large amounts of dei at one time. This could easily become a new business strategy, and a good way to bestow the role of a leader on players that aren't quite rich yet. It's an excellent idea in my opinion.

16. Buenian

Buenian

In-Game Name:
    Buenian