1. Play on the ImDeity Minecraft Multiplayer server -- Goto the "Multiplayer" section of Minecraft and type "mc.imdeity.com" to join!
    Dismiss Notice

Towns Ethics and Mutual Respect (?)

Discussion in 'Kingdoms General' started by Driver_X, August 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Driver_X

Driver_X

In-Game Name:
    Driver_X
    Recently I have found that the high tier of some other town tried to recruit every single resident from my town (which are not many indeed), directly pm'ing them offering larger plots, diamond sets and even assistantship if they left my town to join theirs.

On one hand, I think it is (sort of) an allowed move, if they have a bigger and richer town which has better stuff to offer, they can merchandise it. On other hand, this is unfair and disrespectful, as bigger towns could literally buy every other town's active residents, and disrespectful, recruiting residents is not an easy job (at least if you want active residents instead of people hoarding), to make a player become an active member, you need to give him all your attention and care, you need to become his friend, then, someone who don't even know the person, offers him a pot full of cash, a manor and an instant 'end-game' pack, I wouldn't even blame the resident for leaving, which is why I post this.

That is what I want to know, what do you think?

A rich town worked hard to get where it is and has the right to use it's power to get residents that way, or that action is unethical, big towns should be friendly to small ones and let the residents decide for themselves if they want to leave/join other town?

2. melvin484

melvin484

In-Game Name:
    TwitchyCake
    I dont even think big towns should be able to ask residents in other towns to join theirs, unless the resident wants too.

3. Mojinax

Mojinax

• VIP
    In-Game Name:
    Mojinax
    All is fair game. Leave it to the resident to decide. However, make a blackmark against the recruiter and their town, don't deal with them. Privately let people know of his/her doings (other mayors), and move on. Let the person earn their bad rep. You should also boycott their shops in /mall :). That'd be funny.

Sephronia, Xarin23 and Takhz like this.
  4. LlamaWithAGun

LlamaWithAGun

• BANNED
    In-Game Name:
    LlamaWithAGun
    It goes without saying what town this thread is directed at. With the added
    comment, it shows to whom this thread is directed at.

So i'm just going to put an end to this now by saying, first of all, no - we haven't been attempting to steal your residents. This whole scenario is completely exaggerated around one person, an assistant to be more specific. For the sake of not mentioning names, this "person" is a person we had killed off in /pvp. Several days later we heard rumours that this said person was going to try to, and I quote, "infiltrate our faction in the pvp world". This gave us the idea to joke on it as we were more than aware of what was going on. So, one day, I messaged this "person" if he'd like an assistant spot in our town. The joke went on for longer than expected which eventually resulted in him saying he wasn't actually going to join the town he just wanted to kill our faction, which we were trying to get out of him all along.

So, all in all, don't try to say we are unethical because quite frankly you are blowing this thing totally out of proportion. To summarise this: no we aren't out to get any one, our role as a town isn't to destroy others and finally you don't have to worry about the "person".

On a side note, actually going on topic to the thread - yes, I think stealing is a low blow and extremely frustrating (as a targeted town we've had our fair share of residents / assistants stolen) however I don't see the reason why it should be banned. The whole reason of stealing people is to recruit already active players to the town, without it, all new recruits would be fresh people joining the server. If you didn't understand that, here's another way of looking at it. Active players are almost always belonging to a town. If a town wants more active players, to acquire them, said town steals them from another town. It's a vicious circle I know but I personally think it's logical.

There is only one real way of going around it though, kingdoms. Becoming an ally to the town by joining their kingdom can prevent this. Personally, not saying i'd steal but i'd never steal from our own so there's a solution.

5. Gwenhywar

Gwenhywar

• Head Moderator
    • Sponsor
    In-Game Name:
    Gwenhywar
    Whatever is true or untrue, I will give my five cents to this now.

It is an allowed way to bait people with "better things" in their towns from another town. But as I heard and saw on the forums, this goes hand in hand with badmouthing towns and players. In game and on the forums. We will not accept this and the next badmouthing of any town on this server will result in a ban. At least one day, depending on the severity of the actions or previous action, it could result in longer bans or perms.

Gwen out!

6. Goober

Goober

• Vip
    In-Game Name:
    EchoedSorrow
    Llama, not everything is directed at anvil. Unless you have proof it is directed at anvil don't leave paragraphs rambling about it. I know there is at least one person in most of the bigger towns that have a shop.

7. LlamaWithAGun

LlamaWithAGun

• BANNED
    In-Game Name:
    LlamaWithAGun
    The fact that I just had a 20 minute conversation with one of the people involved says otherwise. The issue has been discussed with our towns name involved shows it is our town being talked about. Our town being the topic of discussion isn't the problem here so I don't know why you're defending the fact that our town isn't the one being talked about. The problem here is the ones highlighted in my previous post so i'm not going to leave loads more paragraphs reiterating my point. It's a topic that has been dealt with so take gwens amazing advice and don't continue this further.

8. Goober

Goober

• Vip
    In-Game Name:
    EchoedSorrow
    I don't see me badmouthing Anvil, so you telling me to take her advice doesn't quite work.

ngennaro, Takhz and melvin484 like this.
  9. LlamaWithAGun

LlamaWithAGun

• BANNED
    In-Game Name:
    LlamaWithAGun
    And for the second time you fail to read what has been said. Go and re-read the last 4 words I wrote.

melvin484 likes this.
  10. Driver_X

Driver_X

In-Game Name:
    Driver_X

Well, even tho the story you told is true, it doesn't mean I am exaggerating, nor that you know everything about what is happened.

I can't say names, so I can't explain the whole situation, but what I can tell is that when I said 'tried to recruit every single resident' there was only one person who have not been 'tempted' to leave my town, all the other ones where directly messaged. I know what I am talking about.

I want to say that none of my residents left, even tho it is hard to fight the 'wealth polarization', I know it is not impossible, there are free things no money can buy.

That said I'd like to add that the focus of this thread is not to vilify anyone, nor to victimize myself, what I want is to hear your opinion on this situation. Should towns pm other town's residents to directly invite them to join their towns? If so, is it fair to small towns? Even when bigger ones can offer quad plots, free diamonds and stuff like that? I have some friends at different towns who I'd like to invite to join me, but didn't because I felt it would be wrong, if most people here agree that there is nothing wrong about it, then we can just move on.

PS. Even tho I liked Mojinax's post, and he is an assistant at my town, no one should take a third's post as the guideline for a thread.

thejacoborg and melvin484 like this.
  11. Goober

Goober

• Vip
    In-Game Name:
    EchoedSorrow
    Once again you fail to understand, the way you wrote it shows you're telling me to take gwen's advice and drop it. She didn't say to drop it therefore if you say "Take gwen's amazing advice and don't continue this further" It's basically saying listen to gwen and stop. Not my fault for poor sentence structure.

melvin484 likes this.
  12. LlamaWithAGun

LlamaWithAGun

• BANNED
    In-Game Name:
    LlamaWithAGun
    Which is exactly what my first post was. That was my justifications of what has been going on.

_martusss_ and melvin484 like this.
  13. melvin484

melvin484

In-Game Name:
    TwitchyCake
    *cough* This is the stupidest stupid stupid argument ever. Can we stick to the actual purpose of the thread, without targeting things?!

14. Goober

Goober

• Vip
    In-Game Name:
    EchoedSorrow
    I see this more as a debate on whether or not this is directed at Anvil.

melvin484 likes this.
  15. LlamaWithAGun

LlamaWithAGun

• BANNED
    In-Game Name:
    LlamaWithAGun
    Hardly poor sentence structure just a matter of pure obliviousness to simple implications. But lets not go off topic here - if you wish to carry on this debate you /tell me in game

melvin484 likes this.
  16. Goober

Goober

• Vip
    In-Game Name:
    EchoedSorrow
    There is nothing to debate so no need. He has shown no signs that he is directing it at any town therefore you are just taking this completely wrong.

melvin484 likes this.
  17. Driver_X

Driver_X

In-Game Name:
    Driver_X

This confused me, how you were justifying for what is going on, if that (what you said) is not what is going on? :confused:

Either way, you voiced your opinion on-topic, thank you.

MidiMixer and melvin484 like this.
  18. Mojinax

Mojinax

• VIP
    In-Game Name:
    Mojinax
    The scenario involves Anvil, yes, but the subject is very broad and general, not directed. It is merely a matter that was brought up by the actions I have only heard about; about Anvil. This isn't the first time this has ever come up, and it certainly is not the last time it will ever come up. Driver could have directly struck Anvil for whatever had happened, but instead he asked a general question. You took the offense, and pinned this subject to Anvil, although trying to poorly conceal it, as if a /res info LlamaWithAGun could not tell me what town you are in.

Driver handled it in a very mature and thoughtful way, comparable to how I see and think of Barry (careful is his middle name). In any case, I think the whole defensive structure you put up is a reflection of who you are. I don't mean this to offend you, but for you to reflect on it, because this is not something you should have commented on the way you did. Excuses are immature, and rarely actually save face. The only reason I see for an excuse is to save your reputation, and many times it only lowers your reputation.

As I said though, and as Gwen said, it is fair game. Whether or not any town continues to do so is a matter of reputation and individual player's power. Not to be solved by the moderators or admins. As a general statement, 'stealing' players from other towns is a low thing to do, we can all agree on that.

So enough with excuses, enough with feeling blame or blaming, just read and accept what is wrong not for your case specifically, but for any case or scenario in the future as a guideline to the happy ImDeity days before us. For anyone who may try siphoning players from other towns, or worried mayors; just remember the players have a mind in which they are able to make their own conscious decisions on which town to join. I've left and joined many towns, Barry can speak for me there. If they like what they see, they'll join. Let the players choose.

19. Rmarmorstein

Rmarmorstein

• Diamond
    In-Game Name:
    Rmarmorstein
    About 6 months ago, I made a thread like this. For the same reasons, for the same issue.

It was ignored by everyone on the server, because they, in my honest opinion, dont care about anyone else but themselves (and trust me i can say worse).

I'm pretty sure this is going to get ignored again. Certain people on this server, that should be role models, drove me away, because of this stuff.

20. xMachiavellix

xMachiavellix

• Diamond
    My god is this argument still going on? Get outside and see the sunshine people, when it all comes down to its bare bones residents will stay in a place if they love it. So rather than asking that other towns don't ask your residents to leave how about you focus your efforts on making them happy?
    When I talk to a resident of another town the first thing I ask is "how is (town name) treating you?" From this I get two types of answer, 1) people who reply with "it's ok I guess" or 2) people who reply with "it's awesome! I love it!"
    Of these two groups I can almost guarantee that I can get about 90% of the first group to leave, as for the second group, nothing makes them leave.

So stop nit picking at grammar and sentence bloody structure and start nurturing your residents. That's what I do, do you think that when I shout "For Anvil!" In chat I first tell all my members to do the same? No! They do it because they love Anvil.

This may be a foreign idea for some, so here's a tip, a warm welcome and a fond farewell are two of the best things you can do, say hi and say bye. <- that's the least you can do. If you can't be bothered to do that then hand your town down to a more deserving leader.

Actually chat to your residents, just because they didn't initiate a conversation doesn't mean one can't take place.

Catch up with them after a few hours, they've just joined town, great, chat to them , then leave them be for a while, maybe follow up with "hey man, how are you doing? Need a hand with your house?" an hour or so later.

Just create a decent community and they won't leave.

Now I expect you to stop with the useless arguments and the grammar related tangents and go and be good mayors.

[Unneeded sentence]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.