1. Play on the ImDeity Minecraft Multiplayer server -- Goto the "Multiplayer" section of Minecraft and type "mc.imdeity.com" to join!
    Dismiss Notice

Town Blacklisting?

Discussion in 'Suggestions / Ideas' started by Majora_Unmasked, January 19, 2015.

?

Is this a good idea?

1. Yes (say why in the comments)

51.9%
  2. No (say why in the comments)

48.1%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. theboxghost

theboxghost

In-Game Name:
    theboxghost
    Are we able to put a cost on using warps for non residents? Maybe let the town set the price?

2. Vershye

Vershye

• Senior Moderator
    • Diamond
    In-Game Name:
    Vershye
    Towns are already able to create public warps.

Qazz likes this.
  3. Fiver26

Fiver26

• Gold
    In-Game Name:
    Fiver26
    I think they mean like a toll cost

theboxghost likes this.
  4. Vershye

Vershye

• Senior Moderator
    • Diamond
    In-Game Name:
    Vershye
    Gotcha, I missed the 'cost' part.

theboxghost and asdfjkll like this.
  5. Hallideadly

Hallideadly

• Sponsor
    In-Game Name:
    Hallideadly
    What happens when we wander too far in a deity world - aka, go out of bounds ? We get put back via teleporting to a nearby spot a few blocks back in the direction we came from. Do you see where I am going with this?

Can it be made so that town plots are out of bounds to everyone except the mayor and his appointed higher staff, until such a time that the plot gets sold, at which time the mayor or staff will give the plot owner permissions for their plot/s? Somehow a Mayor would need a command to set certain plots to inaccessible, (out of bounds), while also being able to alter it's state for permissions. Then the plot owner also has the ability to allow people onto their plot via the add friend command, and removed from their friends list later if needed. This friend list would probably need to have the permissions added to it in code so that the owners friends can actually go onto the plot.

Diamond blocks for donators is one method of protection. A Gold block,(GB), will appear in the center of a plot, once purchased by the town. The GB's are then assigned the mayors IGN. At this point only the mayor can physically enter the plots borders. When a plot is bought via the towns existing method the GB would then reassign it's IGN to the purchaser. Each GB is indestructible and will be a permanent feature of it's plot until the plot is removed by the town, making the GB disappear.

Sounds like it could be a lot of work just to make all plots out of bounds until purchased, or given permission via friend.

Trying to break blocks in spawn areas, you do not have permission. hmm.

Setting the town warp cost can be detrimental to some that are not proficient in acquiring wealth. However, the idea is sound. Need some form of warp proclivity, to make it unappealing to others and functional for the rest.

6. matrich99

matrich99

• Sponsor
    In-Game Name:
    matrich99
    Two problems with this idea. One: it is this is the same thing that Imdeity already said no to. Two: (more of a personal thing) what about the people who want to make basement then the gold block could be in the way of that. Also if you want the ground level to be the floor then you have a gold block to cover up. If this would be the answer I would say make it have the gold blocks on the corners of the plot that way you don't have to see it in builds that use the middle space of the plot. Diamond block protection or at least the ones I have used I always bury. (also a small thing plots are 16 blocks across so there technically no center block as for the diamond protection its 25 across so there is a center.)

7. Majora_Unmasked

Majora_Unmasked

• Gold
    In-Game Name:
    aCrowLookedAtMe
    25-22, quite an interesting vote yes

8. theboxghost

theboxghost

In-Game Name:
    theboxghost
    I wouldn't call that a huge margin there though. I think over all, people don't like the idea of not being able to explore, I see that as being the biggest hang up. I doubt there is a good answer for the issue you've been having, it's a matter of a few bad eggs ruining everyone else's fun, right? Is the solution to "punish" everyone for the few people that can't play nice? While being able to "ban" them from your town will certainly make things in your town better, it doesn't stop them from chat or standing outside your borders making an annoyance of themselves. I think the mods do a pretty good job policing the server, I'm sure if you make your concerns known to them they'll keep an eye out and have a sympathetic ear for you when this person is causing you problems.

9. Majora_Unmasked

Majora_Unmasked

• Gold
    In-Game Name:
    aCrowLookedAtMe
    How is it punishing everyone, when a blacklist only bars specific players? If someone wants to blacklist everyone on the server, ultimately he/she is shooting himself/herself in the foot.
    I would rather have people only be able to annoy our residents from the sidelines, than from within city limits.
    The very fact that we were met with apathy upon complaining to staff, even after having supplied screenshots and evidence to indicate that this person was in the town after we asked them to leave us, is why I suggest this blacklist.

Fiver26 likes this.
  10. matrich99

matrich99

• Sponsor
    In-Game Name:
    matrich99
    So First off although it might not seem it I really do not care if or if not this will ever be implemented. I doubt very seriously that I would every be on anyone's blacklist nor do I ever intend on trolling or harassing anyone on the server. As I am now aware ultimately on what this is all about.(although it is still people not buying all plots for a towns increased border in order to just /eject people out) I do understand harassment is bad on all accounts as I was bullied as a kid so I can relate. Now how I fixed my problem which was just ignoring them and eventually they just stop. The internet is a lot harsher environment and The_Yogs and Majora_Unmasked I see where you would be coming from with this solution.

My problems lie with what this solution causes. You may not see it as this would be in your minds as type a command and poof your problem is gone. But in realty it is a temporary solution with more consequences falling onto the Admins and the Mods. Now in your minds this may not be a problem as these mods showed apathy before that is what they deserve. I don't feel that way, I think they try to do the best job they can. I think this forum post should tell them that these harassment claims should be taken more seriously and not something to be taken lightly.

With all that being said I may have a solution that may help. We could start up a forum like the ban appeals that instead is an application for a ban on someone. It would have to have rules such as griefing is a ticket only thing. Also other things should be ticket things. But this forum should be more focused on getting town matters(that actually need Moderators support) such as this harassment thing taken care of. This way town mayors can make a topic involving someone in question. Then he has a space to place all the evidence where more than one mod can look at it.(also everyone else) Also this would allow for other peoples input on the matter such as other incidents with the person. This would also allow the person in question to place any further rebuttals then the mods can decide on the verdict. Think of this as some kind of Kingdom court.

11. Sephronia

Sephronia

• Sponsor
    In-Game Name:
    Sephronia
    No. A kangaroo court is not needed nor wanted. We go on evidence submitted, in private, and make our decisions without unnecessary muddying by 'he said' 'she said' ' they're my friend therefore...' etc.

Town Matters are those that involve residents of that town, and are decided by Town Staff, in whichever way they see fit that does not contravene Server Rules. If a resident griefs the town, Town Matter. If a resident doesnt follow Town Rules, Town Matter. Mods only become involved when Town Staff cannot resolve the issue, and usually the solution is to evict the resident.

If Town Staff feel that the offender deserves further punishment, they can start a convo with a member of the Server Staff, with evidence, preferably relevant screenshots and we will investigate. Witch hunts are not appreciated nor needed.

Many thanks,
    Seph

Last edited: February 2, 2015
    thejacoborg likes this.
  12. matrich99

matrich99

• Sponsor
    In-Game Name:
    matrich99
    Ok I could see that being a problem as I have seen court cases and this tends to be the case. I was just trying to come up with a better solution as it seems that the mods haven't purposed a possible solution and their only response being that Imdeity said no to the first purposed Idea and hasn't gotten back on the second. I for one don't think the second would even be a solution at all. All it does is make it a little more tedious for the harassers. The first one as Deity said would take to many resources so its a no go. My solutions is also a no go as stated in your post. Over all I think that the Mods just need to be more empathetic towards these mayors as I would not like to be harassed but that's why I don't own a town nor am I a resident of a town going on a year now.

13. Sephronia

Sephronia

• Sponsor
    In-Game Name:
    Sephronia
    As I was not involved when this 'apathetic' Mod made their decision, I cannot comment, besides to reiterate my earlier statement.
    Many thanks,
    Seph

14. theboxghost

theboxghost

In-Game Name:
    theboxghost
    I guess I am not understanding how the people annoying your town are doing any damage, I understand about being annoyed, but if they aren't doing any harm how is it any different than the annoying conversations we all endure in /ot? There is always the option of making Anvil private, or ejecting people from plots. I know this isn't a permanent fix but eventually they will get bored of bothering you, like I said, there probably isn't a good solution, and the fact is, blacklisting would be abused. Currently, there are already means to take care of the issues you are having. These are just some of the issues we have to deal with as town mayors, sometimes we have to just learn to let it go and not bother you. I don't know what to tell you about the mods, they've always been very responsive and helpful for me. It sounds like Seph would be an advocate for you, perhaps you could give him the screenshots you have?

Zeuqzalev likes this.
  15. Hallideadly

Hallideadly

• Sponsor
    In-Game Name:
    Hallideadly
    well, this is an example that happened to me a year and a half ago.

The first town I joined was a bad experience for me. One of the town staff (not mentioning names) would come onto my plot and dump gravel/sand on my head or box me in with dirt - trying to be funny, but to me it was very irritating. Why is this town staff person trying to kill me in my own home, I bother no one and do not interfere with anyone. That prompted me to move - which is when I became a Doha resident and have remained since as Doha staff are decent people. No issues for me in Doha and so I was able to happily build without stupid things happening to me.

Later on I find that same staff person from the other town was admitted into Doha. With his apologies accepted and promises to not do it again we settled the waters between us, ( I have big shoulders), and we began to build together my maze project in Doha before reset. That was a mistake on my part that I will not make again. Promises were broken and my ire escalated again. So I simply removed said person from my friends list without compromise and continued to build the maze. I did not bother with tickets as I could easily resolve this myself. It took a few days of his repeated messages getting ignored by me before he stopped pestering me about why I removed him from my friends list. So now This is the main reason that I am a loner on the server.

IMO- every one deserves the right to be trusted once- upon failure the trust is gone.

The ticket method with messages to mods after continuous problems for the town is about the easiest option that is already in place. Some people learn and others need to be banned. If the person is obviously irritating the town on purpose, then the pics sent in the message to a mod will be evident of this and a decision should be made promptly and decisively.

16. Ranchero1957

Ranchero1957

In-Game Name:
    Ranchero1957
    Majora Sorry, I know this is /ot but, I feel I need to say something here. Hallideadly I am sorry you had that happen to you. I too have had a problem when I first join the server. It was not as bad as yours. If you have an issue of any kind in a town, I do not care if it is town staff or not but, if it is town staff or some one in town it need to go to the Mayor that is what they are their for. if it is not town staff or town members go to the Mods of the server. The Mods will protect you, and they are good at their jobs too. Again Majora Sorry.

Majora_Unmasked and thejacoborg like this.
  17. Majora_Unmasked

Majora_Unmasked

• Gold
    In-Game Name:
    aCrowLookedAtMe
    All good Ranch, nothing wrong with showing empathy

Ranchero1957 likes this.
  18. Majora_Unmasked

Majora_Unmasked

• Gold
    In-Game Name:
    aCrowLookedAtMe
  19. SaintThunder

SaintThunder

• Sponsor
    In-Game Name:
    SaintThunder
    Deity's response has not changed. He does not see adding any sort of blacklist as a necessary addition.

20. Majora_Unmasked

Majora_Unmasked

• Gold
    In-Game Name:
    aCrowLookedAtMe
    wow alright then

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.