1. Play on the ImDeity Minecraft Multiplayer server -- Goto the "Multiplayer" section of Minecraft and type "mc.imdeity.com" to join!
    Dismiss Notice

Saving Map After Reset

Discussion in 'Kingdoms General' started by tOPIV, May 8, 2015.

1. tOPIV

tOPIV

• Vip
    In-Game Name:
    tOPIV
    When the server reset a few months ago, years of work by hundreds of people vanished within a number of hours. Whether it was a simple, but special house, or a giant, magnificent castle -- that treasured pet horse or those hordes of diamonds -- almost everyone lost something. I personally know some people who have stopped playing on the server because they dread losing the work and time that they invest here. I ask for next server, that at least portions of the map be saved and distributed for download for the server community.

For instance, perhaps claimed plots can be saved, and then the rest of the unclaimed chunks can be generated naturally with the same seed that generated the server map?

Or if that would take too much memory, perhaps just some claimed plots could be saved?

It is likely that most of the server community would appreciate something of this sort for next reset.

This is not a suggestion to remove resets, but to help players retain some of the work they did. When posting in this forum, please respond to later posts, not this one. The idea has since developed from "staff saving chunks of the map and distributing" to "players being directed to a mod and players saving chunks of the map themselves".

Last edited: May 9, 2015
  2. Mojinax

Mojinax

• VIP
    In-Game Name:
    Mojinax
    I believe the amount of effort that would have to be put into this would be too great for Deity to do. I'm sure he could do it, but I'm also sure he would not. If one person wants it, everyone else will want it. That consumes too much time and effort to be worth doing, and makes the map reset obsolete.

Now you said your friends left the server because it restarted, and that makes me laugh. The server wiped everyone's account clean, and your buddies' natural response is to start new on another server? That's irrational thought. But here's the deal with restarts. When the server restarts, everything is brand-spanking new. I made tens of thousands of dei selling silk touch pickaxes and cakes my first few weeks, so it's great for the merchant side of it. And although I know many people view a restart as taking away everything from them, it has the ability to give back so much more. For me, I got money. For Driver_X, he finally began building what he wanted to build. When a bridge is destroyed in the world and a new one needs to be built, they don't just go "Oh, well let's build it like we did before." No! It's an opportunity to reinvent, to improve and to find and build new things that you would have never built before. I build a house that I like, boom, I'm done. I don't give it any second thought and if I do I probably would not implement whatever I thought about because I'd have to make changes. Restart rolls around and I'm left with flat space to build on, I can throw in whatever I want and add in what I forgot in my old house.

So your friends quitting just mean that Minecraft is no longer for them. They've lost their interest to build. And even if we did bring back their houses, what more could they do than just sit in it? That's all I do. I built a house so I could sit in it and type in /ot, usually to annoy people.

tOPIV, BarryX15 and porterdog02 like this.
  3. porterdog02

porterdog02

• Gold
    In-Game Name:
    PorterYT
    I lie the server restarting because it gives people that aren't doing so good, the reset gives them a opportunity to build up, I like the reset because I just dei chef to merchant and got a shop of there was no reset I would never have gotten a shop, and it gives towns a chance to change a grow different and get different towns spawn and just change it every reset, and we all like a change because of there was not reset everybody would have everything and nobody would make money from selling stuff!

Thanks,
    Porterdog02

tOPIV likes this.
  4. Fiver26

Fiver26

• Gold
    In-Game Name:
    Fiver26
    When i didnt want to loose a few things last reset i did what i thought anyone would do, i looked up a chunk downloader mod and did it myself. No need to ask the staff when theyve said in the past that the map is to bug to download

5. tOPIV

tOPIV

• Vip
    In-Game Name:
    tOPIV
    "... i looked up a chunk downloader mod and did it myself." - Fiver26

Cool! That sounds like an awesome idea. Maybe instead of saving the map, the server could provide instructions for using a mod so that people could do it themselves?

And resetting the server was certainly a good thing to do. It's always exciting to start on a blank page. It's just that some people built masterpieces on the old map and didn't know how to preserve them through the reset.

"... you said your friends left the server because it restarted ..." - Mojinax

He actually left well before the reset, once he learned that servers reset from time to time. He stopped playing because he didn't want to do a bunch then have it deleted.

Fiver26's idea to use a chunk loader would totally resolve that though. Even just a link on the website, along with the reset announcement, directing players to such a mod would go miles. It would be an easy fix.

6. porterdog02

porterdog02

• Gold
    In-Game Name:
    PorterYT
    Do you have to buy a chunk loader?

7. Fiver26

Fiver26

• Gold
    In-Game Name:
    Fiver26
    It's 100% free and all it costs is the time to Google the words "mine craft world downloader mod"

zoroa_14, tOPIV and Sephronia like this.
  8. porterdog02

porterdog02

• Gold
    In-Game Name:
    PorterYT
    Ok thanks

9. Sephronia

Sephronia

• Sponsor
    In-Game Name:
    Sephronia
    Hi all,

I've been through 3 Server Resets so far and as much as it is painful to watch your hard work get wiped, without server resets, it stagnates. A blank slate gives you inspiration, space to start again, improve on what you did before and try something different.
    I'm not quite sure what this is an 'easy fix' to? The server isn't reset unless it's really needed, such as when there's a major game changing update.
    That's probably not going to happen as that's not really any different than people being told there's a reset and going to Google to look up such a mod. Google makes it much easier for everyone involved.

Many thanks,
    Seph

NiceraIzCool, tOPIV and Fiver26 like this.
  10. tOPIV

tOPIV

• Vip
    In-Game Name:
    tOPIV
    The 'easy fix' is a low effort solution that server staff could implement, regarding the problem of people losing their work between resets. It would be handy for people to know where to go to find the mod Fiver26 was talking about. A link to the mod-download webpage or a string of text to copy and paste into Google could be used to direct people, because not everyone would think to look for a mod like this. Attaching "Google this: "mine craft world downloader mod"" to the end of a reset message would save some players a lot of time and headaches.

Resetting a server is an important and exciting thing to do from time to time and is not a problem. Having a way to salvage some of the work removes some of the drawbacks of resetting. The mod that Fiver26 suggested does that. Directing uninformed people to that mod is something unlaborious that server staff (or maybe a volunteer) can do to greatly reduce some drawbacks of resetting.

11. Vershye

Vershye

• Senior Moderator
    • Diamond
    In-Game Name:
    Vershye
    Or, they could read the forums since there are many posts about this that have been posted in the last 4 years and the same answer is in all of those.

12. Fiver26

Fiver26

• Gold
    In-Game Name:
    Fiver26
    could you possibly stop using me (its fiver by the way, no need to add the 26) as an example for proving your point when in my reply I was literally telling you to google it and do it yourself.
    You want something saved its your responsibility, not any of the server staffs

BarryX15 likes this.
  13. tOPIV

tOPIV

• Vip
    In-Game Name:
    tOPIV
    I'm sorry, I'll stop. I totally agree with you, it's the player's responsibility, not the staff. A small pointer in the right direction, similar to what you posted on this forum, would help dum people like me search for the right mod and save their work themselves.

14. legoazurp

legoazurp

• Vip
    In-Game Name:
    LEGOAP
    The thing about server resets is that the total removal of everything is what makes them fun. If you were allowed to keep something you wouldn't have to build a new version of it on the new map. A world like that would be very boring.