1. Play on the ImDeity Minecraft Multiplayer server -- Goto the "Multiplayer" section of Minecraft and type "mc.imdeity.com" to join!
    Dismiss Notice

Safe TNT plugin suggestion

Discussion in 'Suggestions / Ideas' started by legoazurp, January 17, 2013.

1. legoazurp

legoazurp

• Vip
    In-Game Name:
    LEGOAP
    I know that some of the senior server staff are plugin developers, and that most of the servers plugins are home made. So i thought to make a small suggestion for a plugin that will make the usage of TNT safe, instead of disabling it.

First, what are the most dangerous properties of tnt?
    1. Grief
    2. PvP
    3. Server crash caused by a large quantity of tnt
    So the plugin should have the following properties:
    Multiworld- TNT will only be enabled in certain worlds (like mining or pvp, and yes i know that tnt is already enabled in pvp, i just wanted to give an example)
    Kingdoms and Towny support- Some server owners may want to have tnt enabled in their main world. It will be useful if the plugin supports Kingdoms and Towny so that tnt can not be used to grief from plots that are not yours
    TNT limit- There should be a limit of tnt blocks you can place at a time. I think the perfect limit is between 1-3 blocks. Example: You place 1 block of tnt, you try to place a second but the plugin doesn't let you because you have already placed one; you can place the second block after the first one is removed or detonated.
    TNT placing timer- After the first block has been placed and detonated the player must wait for a few seconds until he can place another block. This will make it less possible to cause massive lag and a server crash.
    PVP- To disable taking damage by tnt, and maybe that only the person who placed the tnt can take damage. I am not sure whether this is possible or not.

2. SaintThunder

SaintThunder

• Sponsor
    In-Game Name:
    SaintThunder
    So, are you suggesting tnt be allowed in the main world as well, or just in the mining world? Either way, I personally can't see an actual need to allow this. Your suggestion would limit the griefing possibility of tnt, if not remove it completely. However, this plugin would take time to make, and would be low on the priority list as this would be a luxury item. Your suggestion would almost completely remove the ability to use tnt as decoration, in the few instances which tnt is a decoration. The use of tnt really isn't needed, though, expect for players to have fun by blowing holes in the ground. Other than that, it has incredibly few uses, and none of which that I can picture being credible enough to allow.

3. BarryX15

BarryX15

• Sponsor
    In-Game Name:
    BarryX15
    But... But we really do need TNT... How can we arm our catapults and helicopters without TNT?

4. Rmarmorstein

Rmarmorstein

• Diamond
    In-Game Name:
    Rmarmorstein
    Or, maybe be able to place it, but not interact. So we can use it for decoration?

I dont see a real use for it otherwise, griefing and making big ugly holes, maybe in the mine world have this limit?

5. Vershye

Vershye

• Senior Moderator
    • Diamond
    In-Game Name:
    Vershye
    Why use tnt to mine with? It destroys half of the stuff that drops.

6. The_Yogs

The_Yogs

• Sponsor
    In-Game Name:
    The_Yogs
    I wonder...what Kingdom should we face the direction of our rockets..

7. skylord_soroga

skylord_soroga

In-Game Name:
    feehan0
    it lets you see more around you without the task of mining all around you and yes it does destroy halve the items it drops but that's just how some people work

8. cliff777

cliff777

• Gold
    In-Game Name:
    cliff777
    The only logical use I can see TNT being used for is for removing large amounts of blocks in a large area. The same amount of blocks removed by a single TNT block can be removed in 30 seconds with a diamond pickaxe. Not to mention that gunpowder is not the easiest resource to obtain, so it would be virtually useless.

Although if someone really wanted tnt as a decoration, perhaps a system could be set up where a player could ask Smcallah, xSock or Deity to place a block of TNT in their build (For a fee of course). TNT would also have to be impossible to interact with for this to work.

9. skylord_soroga

skylord_soroga

In-Game Name:
    feehan0
    wouldn't people want to save their gun powder for fireworks now anyway ? i know that's what I'l be doing

cliff777 likes this.
  10. KILL3RTACO

KILL3RTACO

• Developer
    In-Game Name:
    KILL3RTACO
    As you already know, tnt is disabled for the reasons you stated above. TNT is safer to use on a server in which there are not many players. Even with a timer limiting how much tnt can be placed at one time, it can still be setup with huge amounts of tnt. Even if it doesn't necessarily crash the server, it can and/or will cause a great amount of lag for other players. Lag in the mining world can cause more deaths and enrage the players.

As for the Kingdoms and Towny plugins, that is a different matter. It was decided the Towny was not going to be used for multiple reasons. One of them being that it was very buggy. If this somehow was integrated into Kingdoms however, it would only work on ImDeity: Kingdoms. This is because the API being used to develop kingdoms will not work on 1.4.6 servers (the public API at least). And as far as I know, I don't think vanZeben has plans to update the plugin on BukkitDev.

Disabling damage for tnt I believe is just stupid (no offense), it's just unrealistic. It's like removing creepers altogether.

In my opinion, it's working great so far. We don't really need tnt to be enabled. If you want something demo'd then just higher a group of people with efficiency picks.

cliff777 likes this.
  11. SpeedyGonzales9

SpeedyGonzales9

• Diamond
    In-Game Name:
    SpeedyGonzales9
    Even if TnT were allowed to be placed 1 block at a time, say and unclaimed area were spotted by a user or a an area used by someone to create a "great build", any person can easily destroy that area one block at a time. As for the mining world, I'm pretty sure there was a perk for blast mining under skills, but it seems ImDeity disagrees with having it as well.

12. Frenchy1

Frenchy1

• Diamond
    In-Game Name:
    Frenchy1
    As has been stated above, there really is no use for TnT.
    Other things are more needed atm, this would be a total waste of time.
    Limiting 1 player placing TnT does not limit the fact that hundreds of players could be toying around with TnT at the same time.
    Also to not mess with other plugins, tnt cannot break other blocks (like creepers blowing up) why? Because if it were, kingdoms would * with each-other by making massive land-holes around the other kingdom's plot. And that's only one of the 'non-grief' ways to piss everyone off that i can think of instantly.

Also we have mad enchanted tools now. I see no point in TnT if we can melt down fields of sand/stone/dirt/wtvr in instants with godlike items. Sure TnT is 'fun' but fun can always be had in single player.

With that said, if TnT did not actually explode any blocks ect ect ect, the sound is still really annoying. Imagine a rival town's player, right outside of your town detonating stacks of TnT one by one, just to piss everyone off. Is that a bannable offense? Probably not unless staff gets directly mad at the player. Staff would probably just say 'lower your sound' and eventually he/she might get jailed for just being annoying.
    TnT just creates these kinds of issues, and brings nothing good to the table.