1. Play on the ImDeity Minecraft Multiplayer server -- Goto the "Multiplayer" section of Minecraft and type "mc.imdeity.com" to join!
    Dismiss Notice

Pets & Farm animals

Discussion in 'Suggestions / Ideas' started by Brytton, November 12, 2013.

1. Brytton

Brytton

• Vip
    In-Game Name:
    bryttonmp5
    So, we can claim pets and they do not despawn.

Is there a possibility that we could claim a few chickens/cows/sheep?

This could be part of Barry's "pet tax" system.

Is it as well possible to limit the amount? You can have up to 15 pets or something.

Maybe its limited to craftsmen, maybe you get more the higher rank you are.

2. btarb24

btarb24

• Developer
    • Sponsor
    In-Game Name:
    btarb24
    That's a pretty good suggestion. I'll pass it onto the board for review. One problem i see from a technical standpoint is that those barnyard animals do not implement the Tameable interface. The Butcher command we use is not one we wrote, and so it will not know that these horses have artificially been marked as being tamed. We'd have to write our own butcher command that takes the this new flag into account, but that shouldn't be too hard to do.

thejacoborg and Brytton like this.
  3. Brytton

Brytton

• Vip
    In-Game Name:
    bryttonmp5
    Thanks for the reply. It was just a thought to add another dynamic to ImDeity. :) I could see people with their barnyard animals working on something for a few minutes and then going to milk/collect/sheer their animals. Another mindless activity to keep people entertained heh.

thejacoborg likes this.
  4. btarb24

btarb24

• Developer
    • Sponsor
    In-Game Name:
    btarb24
    I agree. Personally, i liked the idea because it gave something additional to the Craftsman class. Horses are vehicles, cats/dogs are pets, i'd consider chicken/cows/sheep to be work animals. Taming these animals would allow craftsman to have a means of continual income by working their animals.

If implemented, it would likely lower the value of wool since it'd be easier for many people to gather it. Plus, people would be excited that there was a new feature and would surely go gather up some sheep just because they could.

asdfjkll, thejacoborg and Brytton like this.
  5. Arwenden

Arwenden

• Senior Moderator
    In-Game Name:
    Arwenden
    I am not sure whether it is a good fit for only the craftsman class (so limited to only craftsman). Because in my opinion horses should in that case only be limited to the nobility class etc (this should never be done though). But nature exists for all of us, this includes the animals, so restricting it would not really be a good idea.
    (Title wise; Peasants would fit best ;p)

Anyway I like the idea! I always need more wool, ghehe.

Last edited: November 12, 2013
    DoCharlieBrown and thejacoborg like this.
  6. minibirde

minibirde

• Sponsor
    In-Game Name:
    minibirde
    I always like the idea of more tax free pets :) .

7. btarb24

btarb24

• Developer
    • Sponsor
    In-Game Name:
    btarb24
    Sorry, but the bird tax remains ;)

asdfjkll, Sephronia and thejacoborg like this.
  8. SonnyBassPlayer

SonnyBassPlayer

• Sponsor
    In-Game Name:
    SonnyBassPlayer
    Well, I have mixed feeling about this. Surely breeding some farm animals on here would be cool, having some cows and some chickens and so on would be something new for all of us. The quantity limit is needed of course, I agree with that, as well as a limit on who should be able to "tame" pigs and be able to breed them, otherwise even with everyone having only 5 animals lag would go up, and food would loose most value together with leather.
    But! How to limit the players being able to do that? If that was class wise, and for example craftsmen only could breed animals, what would other classes get? What would they have? I would strongly unsupport the idea of limiting pets and horses (sorry Arwen :) ) because not being able to ride my horses anymore would make me pretty angry. If that would have been so since horses were added, it would be different, but taking away horses to many players is just a very bad idea to me.
    So, what if it all depended on the class level?
    Simply, what if farm animals breeding was limited to level 2 (the top at the moment) of each class? I precise, farm animals.

mrkingcasey likes this.
  9. SaintThunder

SaintThunder

• Sponsor
    In-Game Name:
    SaintThunder
    I don't think a tax would be enough of a deterrent from gathering large groups of animals, personally, which would lead to the same reason these animals don't appear much and are taken away after a short while. So there would have to be some number limit as well, but 15 sounds too high. With 15 chickens in a chicken farm you can get a stack of eggs (64 base, even tho I'm sure it's 16) in about ten minutes (maths may be off). Set up properly, prime afk time for when you spend 2 or 3 hours at the movies. I think eight animals is a good farm size to make good profit for the time spent in it, also a little more realistic based on the theme of the server. As well, it would be cool to have a speciality of cow farmer, sheep farmer, chicken farmer, etc, but that might be a bit too limiting and make it less fun. We do run into the issue of potentially too many craftsmen with too many animals on the server, but I think it would work well for quite a ways beyond our current active population. I think a tax should only be imposed if your animals exceed a certain number, that way you aren't getting taxed for one horse that you hardly ever use. No one would like that.

btarb24 likes this.
  10. btarb24

btarb24

• Developer
    • Sponsor
    In-Game Name:
    btarb24
    Who said anything about breeding? ;) If implemented, i think that taming limits would be low enough that having users tame the animals wandering around towns or near towns would be sufficient. None of this has been discussed with the captain yet, so it's all simply ideas. My vision of the implementation would be
    • Players can tame a farm animal by either doing a /tame command then punching the animal (no damage) or perhaps by hitting it with a wooden hoe something.
    • There'd be a fee for taming the animal, somewhat like buying it at a livestock auction as an investment.
    • Animals would be protected from attacks by other players on your plot only. They can still be killed/damaged by mobs and yourself.
    • Breeding would remain disabled.
    • Max of 5 or 6 farm animals. Possibly a larger max that includes all horses/cats, etc.. but i'm not so sure that's necessary.
    • Possibly linked to classes in some way?
    • There'd be no visible way to tell an animal is tamed. If we use the 'whack it with a wooden hoe' idea, then
    I agree with saint and think that 15 sounds a bit high for just farm animals. It seems a somewhat reasonable number if all pet types were included, but i personally dont think it's necessary to make an all-included limit. Also, the whole pet tax concept was purely just theoretical and isn't being implemented any time soon.. or possibly ever.

disclaimer: Even though I enjoy discussing these new ideas on here and kind of plan out the features with you guys, it does not guarantee that they'll be implemented. Though, it does often mean that i like the idea :)

11. Arwenden

Arwenden

• Senior Moderator
    In-Game Name:
    Arwenden
    Haha, I actually mistyped the post. I am not in favour of restricting the horses, but if you would be restricting farm animals then I think horses should be as well. I am strongly disagreeing with the fact that we should limit this to one of the three class-types. However, getting a level 2 rank class as requirement is maybe a good idea. :)

SonnyBassPlayer likes this.
  12. btarb24

btarb24

• Developer
    • Sponsor
    In-Game Name:
    btarb24
    My reasoning for thinking that farm animals should have a restriction is that they're more likely to be abused. You can only sell so many horses. However, it's quite easy to make a gigantic sheep farm and horde/sell crazy amounts of wool. I recall on last map when sheep butchering was disabled. It didn't take long until there were ridiculous amounts of sheep being horded. I remember that i personally had one of every color. I recall someone else had made a huge cavern that they stored an insane amount of sheep inside of. They had set up a team of people to basically sheer them around the clock.

Sheep are basically a renewable resource that can be continually harvested without even leaving your home. Without limitations wool would be valued around the same as wheat, potatoes, or dirt. Though, allowing sheep taming whatsoever will certainly lower the value of wool as well. The more restricted it is, the more value it retains. Somewhere in the middle is likely a good compromise.

13. Arwenden

Arwenden

• Senior Moderator
    In-Game Name:
    Arwenden

Umm.. I was talking about class restrictions. Oh dear, I am not so very clear in this thread am I? Sorry! :oops:
    I do agree with restricting the amount of animals, just not with the class-specific restrictions (only craftsmen).

14. btarb24

btarb24

• Developer
    • Sponsor
    In-Game Name:
    btarb24
    haha oh :) i don't have a strong opinion either way in regards to tying it to the class system.

15. TiitanX

TiitanX

• Sponsor
    In-Game Name:
    TiitanX
    Would it be possible to have the animals owned by a player despawn if the player is inactive for a month? This isn't a very key feature, but it would prevent the accumulation of non-despawning animals if people leave.

16. btarb24

btarb24

• Developer
    • Sponsor
    In-Game Name:
    btarb24
    yea, that's something that's feasible.

17. BarryX15

BarryX15

• Sponsor
    In-Game Name:
    BarryX15
    I expected this to be suggested sooner or later. Technically it is easy to restrict: tax, animal-per-player limit, class and rank, etc. However there are some players who are able to push animal farming way over limit and these players are main reason why all mobs despawn.

btarb24 likes this.
  18. BriarRose

BriarRose

• Sponsor
    In-Game Name:
    BriarRose00
    Would it be possible to have a brand new class that would deal with the farm animals?
    With a new class you would restrict the amount of farm animal products going into the market and players have a new class to play around with.

Note: This would only pertain to farm animals (cows, sheep, chickens) and not have anything to do with the dogs, cats, and horses.

19. Brytton

Brytton

• Vip
    In-Game Name:
    bryttonmp5
    Wow, glad this thread took off!

My idea is simple.
    1. Allow people to "tame" Pig, Sheep, Cow, Chicken
    2. Still allow the "butcher" that will occasionally refresh the mob limit (not including "tamed" animals)
    3. Allow players to breed their tamed animals but limit (6 animals) the amount of tamed animals one can have. (So, they can "farm" them in between butchers)
    4. Ensure the "tamed" animals do not affect the natural spawn rate of the animal.

I changed my mind. 6 animals. They could then have 3 pairs of any of the 4 farm animals. I say keep the butcher or something like it so that the natural and breed-ed animals can be "cleared".

Bam, you just added a whole new world element that affects everyone. I bet it would be a craze thing at first too. (like the horses) Then it will even out lol...

tOPIV and bran_bash like this.
  20. Frenimi

Frenimi

I would totally get craftsmen if this was implemented