1. Play on the ImDeity Minecraft Multiplayer server -- Goto the "Multiplayer" section of Minecraft and type "mc.imdeity.com" to join!
    Dismiss Notice

No Gold? I don't get it.

Discussion in 'Suggestions / Ideas' started by TheRealForte, June 24, 2012.

?

Do you think my ideas should be done instead of this massive Ban?

1. Yes

19 vote(s)
    40.4%
  2. No

27 vote(s)
    57.4%
  3. I have an idea! (Post your idea in the comment section below)

1 vote(s)
    2.1%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheRealForte

TheRealForte

In-Game Name:
    TheRealForte
    The new plugin to ban gold, in my opinion, is a bit overkill. I understand the Ban for people who want to sell gold to get a higher profit off of it. But I do not believe that we should all be cut back. I for one spent a lot of time mining Gold to use, not to sell, but as a building material. And i think it is unfair to say that we cannot have Gold as a building block. Some people can say that you can always use yellow wool but, lets be honest, its not the same. It would dull down the building/structure that you are building. So removing Gold would be dulling some building creativity. And this server is practically built on, and known for, its creativity.

Its something that cannot be fixed or compromised with. If you have items such as clocks, rails and other gold-dependent items sold at the player shop, then you cant sell Gold blocks as well for block material. Because who is to say that that wont be sold illegally.

People who sell (or i guess used to sell) gold, made money off of new players who dont know the server price of gold. And people who sold Gold at the same price as the server was not making money, and not wasting the material. I think to fix this, we should have part of the "Starter Quest" tell the price of Gold. Or even the Automated message that says "You can sell gold" to tell the price of Gold on that message. People would see that and not buy gold for any higher price. Dramatically decreasing, or even eliminating the illegal Gold selling.

2. Hotfries456

Hotfries456

• Sponsor
    In-Game Name:
    hotfries456
    It is not in any way cutting back. It just transfers the dei to a vault, converting it into a non-physical item. A non-physical item cannot be dropped, and therefore, not sold. All the money is still the same, it just keeps players from secretly breaking the rules. Also, van specifically said that crafting items involving gold will be available in the shop soon afterwards. At least, that's what I got out of it.

ImDeity likes this.
  3. TheRealForte

TheRealForte

In-Game Name:
    TheRealForte
    Yes but im talking about using Gold blocks. which is impossible currently.

4. Bilko

Bilko

• Sponsor
    In-Game Name:
    bilko100
    I am not aware of anyone selling gold to new players for a higher price... Even if it happened, a new player would only be able to afford 8 or so ingots after they have voted. The reason it has been turned physical is so that it cannot be duplicated which is why a lot of players are being banned at the moment.

With regards to your building worries, Van said there would due a shop where you can buy golden objects although blocks will most likely not be sold.

Maybe a perk for higher level craftsmen is that they can withdraw a small amount of blocks and place them in their builds.

5. smcallah

smcallah

• Administrator
    In-Game Name:
    smcallah
    It's not the people that were selling the gold to new players that is the problem, far from it.

It's the people selling gold to existing players with huge amounts of money. They were buying gold for the normal price of 25 per ingot, but they were hoarding it to avoid future implementation of taxes on the server. And the people selling the gold to those players were also getting around the daily limit of 50 ingots sold to the server.

Blame them for your not being able to use gold blocks as a building material. We are just adjusting to the reality of what some people have chosen to do with the gold blocks.

XxShamWowGIxX, Sephronia and ImDeity like this.
  6. TheRealForte

TheRealForte

In-Game Name:
    TheRealForte
    I dont like this idea because currently craftsmen are OP at the moment.

I dont want people to think im raging. Im not. But this plugin wont fix people storing items to avoid the taxes. People can do that with gold or even Obsidian. Its not removing the problem, just changing it to something else.

7. Bilko

Bilko

• Sponsor
    In-Game Name:
    bilko100
    Classes are being re developed at the moment... They won't be 'OP' much longer :p

That is true, but gold is currency here, it has a set price. It would be like storing diamonds... The price fluctuates by 5 dei, you're not really keeping money and avoiding taxes as the price you sell at is uncertain. The economy is based on gold.

8. TheRealForte

TheRealForte

In-Game Name:
    TheRealForte
    Gold is sort of a currency. The economy doesn't depend on it. You can sell other items and even work for people for money. Gold before the reset was at 40 Dei an ingot, now its 25. As much as i remember Diamond has always been 20-25. But like basic economy, you need to know when to buy and when to sell.

FallingWithStyle likes this.
  9. Bilko

Bilko

• Sponsor
    In-Game Name:
    bilko100
    The economy did depend on it... It was a material that could be sold without player interaction for a set price. Therefore if it was duplicated, it would bring in a lot more dei to the server. I'm not saying that duplication iron isn't as bad, but if thousands of iron ingots are duplicated, it lowers the price of iron across the board, therefore not harming the economy as much as gold. As well as that, seeing as iron can only be sold to other players the money is already in the economy. I hope you can see now how gold plays an important factor in the economy?

10. TheRealForte

TheRealForte

In-Game Name:
    TheRealForte
    I dont see how you can duplicate gold on a server. Unless its using hacks. Which would be a problem with hacks and not Gold. But interaction with other players is the whole point of SMP. otherwise why not play on SSP?

Oh by the way, i dont want to know how to duplicate. I dont cheat.

11. eltono999

eltono999

• Sponsor
    In-Game Name:
    eltono999
    It's less about the duping (although that is a problem), and more about the people with insane amounts of money. People have been hoarding gold since the reset. They have stacks upon stacks of gold blocks. This is either their "backup plan" incase of money issues, or in most cases people hoarding their money in gold for tax evasion. There are a few advantages and disadvsantages i can see with this. And a few questions. I suggest someone makes a FAQ thread, and everything can be answered there. I'd do it myself, but all i know about it so far is everything that can be found here and on the main post.

12. smcallah

smcallah

• Administrator
    In-Game Name:
    smcallah
    Obsidian has no guaranteed price and you cannot sell it to the server for a fixed price. That is what makes gold different from every other item type here.

No one is going to put all of their money into Obsidian if they don't know if they're getting a good price or not. But someone can easily buy gold for 24 - 26 per ingot and know exactly how much money they will have once they sell it.

13. strydier

strydier

• Sponsor
    In-Game Name:
    strydier
    You don't mention the fact nor say how to fix the problem that over a dozen people have been banned for exploiting a duplication glitch and flooded the server with gold. You don't mention solutions to keep people from being banned when they move large quantities of gold around. You don't mention any solution to prevent people selling gold to other players.

What you do mention is to place the server price of gold in the starter quest area which servers no purpose since players should only be able to sell it to Pennybags at that price and in no way curtails the illegal trading of gold.

On a side not I find it hilarious that there is a suggestion to put one more thing up to read when almost all new players to the server ignore the signs and most of the messages when they spawn in.

Anyway, all I got from your post is you either didn't fully read nor understand what Van said. With the amount of threads and posts about all these issues over the past two months I don't see how you have no clue all this was coming to a head.

vanZeben likes this.
  14. TheRealForte

TheRealForte

In-Game Name:
    TheRealForte
    Ok obsidian wasnt a good example but diamonds have been consistent. And there might be people doing backup plans because last time they got 98% of their money wiped during the reset. Is it right? No. but if Gold isnt allowed the there will be people who set a price then start using diamonds as a store up instead. And you cant disable diamonds. Even if diamonds stay at 20-25. You would be, potentially, losing 320 dei (accounting its a stack of diamonds.) instead of the $??? they could be "losing" with taxes.

15. Hotfries456

Hotfries456

• Sponsor
    In-Game Name:
    hotfries456
    Gold is a fixed price. The price of diamonds is based on how many are in circulation. The more people store up diamonds, the less they will be worth. Gold will always be 25 dei, that's the difference

16. thejacoborg

thejacoborg

• Gold
    In-Game Name:
    thejacoborg
    I have an idea. What if it was possible to buy gold blocks in the shop, but the recipe for crafting them ingots was removed. This way it would be impossible for players to illegally trade gold ingots, but builders could still use the blocks as building materials.

17. vanZeben

vanZeben

• Sponsor
    In-Game Name:
    vanZeben
    Diamonds or any other block may be a constant price, however that money that is gained from the item is merely a trade. You trade some die of yours to player 2 who has the diamonds for you, or vice versa. When you sell gold it is injecting money into the account as opposed to transferring worth. That is the difference that the other are tying to relay. If you store up your diamonds and horde them in your house, thats fine because you wouldn't be adding new money into the economy and the price would fluctuate based on the quantity of diamonds floating around. Gold doesn't work this way.

Also jacob, most people we have dealt with have been storing their items in gold blocks, as opposed to ore for space sake. Not only that, but we are also converting your gold ore directly its gold ingot and then taking that and putting it into your vault.

Im sorry that you wish to build with gold but at this point in time you will not be able to use the block of gold to build any constructions other then in the creative world

We are here to provide service for the 95% of users. We would rather get stable things out that work for the large populous then a single product with a bunch of unneeded features that 5% of the people would/know how to use. Im sorry that you fall within the 5% of this category, but you cannot please everyone

ThomasL952, Cathal and cliff777 like this.
  18. TheRealForte

TheRealForte

In-Game Name:
    TheRealForte
    There are logs. If one person put 20 stacks of Gold blocks in a chest and the log shows someone else took it all, then it can be considered stealing or selling.

In my opinion, its not to stop it, as much as it is to stop making a profit off of selling gold. Then those who wish to abuse it, will lose the interest or the ability to.

The "Starter Quest" most people do ignore or soon forget. But the automated messages that come every 15-20 min will, even if disliked, let people know what the price of gold is so that the people (mentioned above) who sell it at a higher price then the server will be "exposed" so to say because of the constant reminder of what the price is.

How to fix a bug in minecraft? Im pretty sure theres this guy, you might have heard of him, Jeb who does that. Not me. But this does raise a question, wouldnt there be logs of who put gold in chests and what not. So it should be seen that they are taking out more than putting in?

But if i buy Gold from "RandomPlayerName" for 25 dei isnt that keeping the money within the economy? He isnt "gaining" any more money from it if he had sold to the server. And the materials are still in use. But i do see that issue with the duplication. I hope this is a Temp fix though.

19. smcallah

smcallah

• Administrator
    In-Game Name:
    smcallah
    I think you missed the point I made earlier, that it's not people selling gold for a higher price to new people that is the problem. New people have very little money.

It's the people with tons of money that are converting their money 1:1 into gold blocks by buying it from people that want to get around the 50 ingot per day limit of selling gold.

New people buying overpriced gold is not the problem and is not the problem we are solving. It never was.

You're still misunderstanding here. Gold can immediately be turned around and sold to the SERVER. That creates NEW money into the server's economy. Players selling diamonds or any other material to each other can never create new money into the server's economy.

Even if you buy it, intending to build with it, not everyone is like you. The people that are hoarding gold blocks are not intending to build with it. As has been explained several times, they are using it to circumvent future taxes on their money, instead of selling the gold immediately.

20. TheRealForte

TheRealForte

In-Game Name:
    TheRealForte
    I didnt know there was a limit of 50 a day. But couldnt there be a system like with the cakes? The more you sell in a day the less its worth untill the "wait time" is up? Didnt people do the same thing with cakes? Store them up then sell them?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.