1. Play on the ImDeity Minecraft Multiplayer server -- Goto the "Multiplayer" section of Minecraft and type "mc.imdeity.com" to join!
    Dismiss Notice

New Ways Of Doing Quests

Discussion in 'Suggestions / Ideas' started by eriqmerc, August 6, 2013.

?

What do you think of my suggestions?

1. I LIKE the ideas! I can't wait to see these implemented soon! :)

50.0%
  2. Hmmm...there are some things that I'm not sure of. :/

37.5%
  3. Shut up, Eriq! I LOVE doing grocery shopping for the NPCs! >:(

12.5%
  1. eriqmerc

eriqmerc

• Gold
    In-Game Name:
    eriqmerc
    Right, let me just get one thing across. The current way players are doing quests right now is TOO SIMPLE. The way I think some players complete quests is players just have to ask for a quest from a NPC, walk to the mall, purchase whatever items the NPC asks and give it to the NPC. Now, that's all fine and dandy. It's just that when I do these quests I feel like...I'm doing grocery shopping for the NPCs and there lacks a sense of adventure. What I'm saying is, the quests need something that will make players stop and think.

Here are a few ways I suggest the quests could be done in future.

1. REAL WORLD REFERENCES/CODED REQUESTS

Instead of a plain, simple quest like:
    [NPC] I need some a stack of wool for a client. Could you get some for me, please?

We could have it like:
    [NPC] ImDeitian soldiers are in battle in a cold, snowy place! I'm planning to send them winter coats to keep them warm but I don't know how many of them are there on the field. All I got from the soldiers was a letter that said "PBKA QTBKQV TLLI". I don't know what it means. Wait...I recall that one of the soldiers liked Julius Caesar. Hmmm...what could that mean?

Translation; PBKA QTBKQV TLLI --> SEND TWENTY WOOL
    The solution to the problem is to use a code used by Julius Caesar called the Caesar cipher. Hence, the mention of Julius Caesar. However, this method is not limited to the Caesar cipher and can be expanded to other real-world codes.

Why this method?
    1) Makes our players more aware of strategies used by famous figures.
    2) Tests the minds of players to be accurate in detail

2. SPAWN CASTLE LOCATION FEATURES

The way it could be done is like this.

Instead of a plain, simple quest like:
    [NPC] I need to get some beds for Knight Warlath. Can you get me some?

We could have it like:
    [NPC] Oh dear, oh dear. Knight Warlath requested replacement beds for his quarters last week and I completely forgot! I don't know how many beds he has! Could you go check how many beds he has? I'm worried I might bump into him. Once you know how many beds he has, bring them to me. Make haste!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Why this method?
    1) Encourages players to explore the castle
    2) Appreciate the hard work of the Deity build team
    3) Has a moderate level of a sense of adventure

3. WIKI-CONNECTED QUESTS

There are no prizes for guessing that not all the players on this server read the wiki. In this method, NPCs ask for items with the amount of said items being the same numeral as something on the wiki.

How this method would go:
    [NPC] The place where people battle each other (PVP world) has a certain amount of fee to start a faction. How much is it? That's how many blocks, not stacks, of sandstone I want you to fetch for me.

Why this method?
    1) Makes players aware of the rules
    2) Players actually learn the wiki exists/The wiki is a helpful feature on the website, not something this is for decoration

2. Dragonslayer314

Dragonslayer314

In-Game Name:
    Dragonslayer314
    I like the idea as a whole, especially the last one, and I think that the wiki being used for quests would really encourage them to read the wiki.

3. TheKSisters

TheKSisters

In-Game Name:
    thisispointless
    I like it.

amyoulakk likes this.
  4. Gwenhywar

Gwenhywar

• Head Moderator
    • Sponsor
    In-Game Name:
    Gwenhywar
    1st is up to come already.
    2nd is already done
    3rd is not wanted due to several reasons.
    (EDIT: I did not want to sound unfriendly, will try to answer more detailed at a later point of the week.)

Vershye likes this.
  5. melvin484

melvin484

In-Game Name:
    TwitchyCake
    I like it. Oh, and if 1st is coming that would be awesome. Can you tell us why the third one could not happen?

6. Typodestoyer

Typodestoyer

In-Game Name:
    Typodestoyer

7. Dragonslayer314

Dragonslayer314

In-Game Name:
    Dragonslayer314
    That edit appeared (I believe) after Twitchy made his post. Just sayin'.

melvin484 likes this.
  8. melvin484

melvin484

In-Game Name:
    TwitchyCake
    Yes, it was.

9. Leviathan_Ziz

Leviathan_Ziz

• Gold
    In-Game Name:
    Leviathan_Ziz
    1 : Way too complicated. I used to do latin and I've never heard of the Caesar cipher. Making harder quests is what has been done, for some of the latter quests however.
    2: Too much text. This server is mostly full of noobs and it's minecraft, nobody will read quest lines over 3 chat lines long.
    3: I'd say, look into the wiki, design a few quests and write them in the suggestion thread ;).

As for more fun, complicated quests, it's something that is being worked on, mostly by Gwen atm.

As far as the groceries comment, yes, that's what these simple (talking technical level) quests were made for. Harder quests are much harder to code, much much harder.

10. eriqmerc

eriqmerc

• Gold
    In-Game Name:
    eriqmerc
    Well, what I'm trying to say is, make the NPCs' requests slightly vague and not too obvious on what they want.

11. Leviathan_Ziz

Leviathan_Ziz

• Gold
    In-Game Name:
    Leviathan_Ziz
    Your caesar reference was not slight vague, it was a sniper trying to shoot gold particles in the ocean xD. But for the sake of noob-friendlieness, most quests are likely to contain obvious clues to person and quest goal.

12. Vershye

Vershye

• Senior Moderator
    • Diamond
    In-Game Name:
    Vershye
    Considering there were already complaints within the first 2 weeks of the new quests coming out of them being to vague in some of what they wanted. So unfortunately it's just like everything else. There will always be someone unhappy in the way something is set up.

13. Gwenhywar

Gwenhywar

• Head Moderator
    • Sponsor
    In-Game Name:
    Gwenhywar
    So, sorry for my short reply last time, I will give some more defined answers now. Or at least try to.
    First for your information: I am the head of the quests on the server. I (re)wrote the quests and planned them with the help of Leviathan_Ziz, right off the top of our heads or from the suggestions that were made by players. It took a while to write them all. 50 are already implemented, about 100 more are already planned and written (mostly).
    The quests that are up now are mostly not very "brainy". To get the stuff you need brains for in, I need some additional stuff regarding coding. Quests were completely off for such a long time, so we just wanted to get something to do on. Furthermore some of the mentioned reasons are true as well. The "random player" does not want to use his brains to get a few quest XP to be able to rank up. We wanted to make a quick fix to that and we did. I have to apologize that other things came my way to take care of and prolly it will take some more time till those things come up. Though: They are planned, they are kind of laying on my desk. ;) Though it will be tough, the answers will be found by mere thinking (without a certain background you need) or you will find them by investigating ingame, on the server.

I think we have those quests already. The Anonymous guy got lost in the wilderness and has amnesia, he is telling a story. Wall Mart (grocery) and Neil Tennant (Pet Shop) will have to tell you stories soonish and there will be more to come. The quest will deal with more places in the castle/spawn as well. You will see. And unfortunately I still have to ask for some patience.

The wiki is a place I love and I really advice everyone reading it. But I am doing RPG (Pen&Paper and PC based) for over 20 years now. I like to keep the quests ingame. The wiki brings the players back to the game play level and gets him out of the RPG experience I want them to have. At least when my plan is going to be in full use. :p

Regarding the patience I am asking for. Believe it or not: Some stuff regarding quests has already changed the last weeks and I am not sure if anyone noticed really... So we are working on it. :) Regarding some work that has to be done by admins, I do not ask for it now, cause I know how much stuff is more important. :) I hope you understand all that and my answers were satisfying. :)

BarryX15 likes this.
  14. minibirde

minibirde

• Sponsor
    In-Game Name:
    minibirde
    What about adding direction of some kind to help us find another quest?

melvin484 likes this.