1. Play on the ImDeity Minecraft Multiplayer server -- Goto the "Multiplayer" section of Minecraft and type "mc.imdeity.com" to join!
    Dismiss Notice

New Spawn and ImDeity Server

Discussion in 'Kingdoms General' started by strydier, June 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. strydier

strydier

• Sponsor
    In-Game Name:
    strydier
    Let me first say that I'm TIRED of all the whining about what most perceive as broken promises and the server falling apart.You can blame me as much as Van or Deity since my plan for new spawn is different enough from the original that it would be pointless to release certain things like Merchant Perks, market sales/stalls, etc until New Spawn is ready.

When the concept of New Spawn was first mentioned to me I said I was all for it. I made plans and incorporated CTT, Barry, Gwen, Lev, etc ideas into it. I decided it was a chance to not only make an in depth medieval city but to show the rest of Minecraft that Imdeity is "at the top of the food chain."

I made a huge market square and incorporated lots of ideas I had read about in fantasy novels like merchant districts and streets, upgraded housing for merchant leveling, a local jail and magistrate, etc. Now Van and Imdeity have a choice.. work on the merchant/economy for the old stalls and market, neglecting whats going to be taking place with new spawn or focus the merchant plug in and classes towards my new spawn idea and discard the old market.

What would be the smart decision?

Gwen and Lev filled me in on the quest side of what they had planned and made a list of things that should be near each other and where things are needed. I started with a layout that can have people move around the city doing quests, selling gold, buying/selling at the market, visiting the giant theater, drinking at one of the taverns, learning skill quests, adventure quests, fighting in one of the Arena's, etc.. At this point CTT, Barry and I actually start developing prototypes, putting up walls, laying roads etc. As the building continues we add more peeps to the team so some of us can focus on the Palace, quest buildings etc.. Now Van and Deity have a choice. Focus the new quest system on the old spawn which is missing 80% of the buildings, areas, etc for most of these quests and ignore new spawn for now or develop the new quest system focused on the expanded new spawn with appropriate builds and areas custom designed for them?

Three months later and we are still building. The Build Team starts hearing the impatient complaints from various people on the server regarding release, people start cutting corners, I become a mean loud mouth #$#$% to keep the build team focused on what we are doing regardless of how tedious or boring some parts of this is becoming. Van and Deity are trying to gear Imdeity so it can handle higher player counts with little to no lag. That means using various cloud servers I hear whined about. That means reworking plug ins that may seem to "not need any work" so they can better mesh with the long term plans and other plug ins. That means not releasing major plug ins like mcmmo until it is finished and/or they are sure its not going to conflict with all these new things that are being added to entertain you. (New Spawn, Quests, Class Perks, Enchanting, etc) So now Van and Deity have a choice. Just add whatever yall demand to keep you happy regardless of whats best for the server and its long term plans or keep updating, prepping and coding with what is planned for the server over the next 6 months.

I've said it a hundred times now. Most of you have no clue how much is being done to give you a better server to play on. We can half@$$ this and add plug ins, schematics, world saves, etc from other people so it can be just another generic minecraft server or we can do our own plug ins, make a 3000 block new spawn with almost nothing made from the other servers, and our own quest system so we stand out from everyone else. One requires little attention to detail and a average minecraft experience. The other requires you to wait a few months and gives you something that stands out as one of the top servers in the the world.

Now, What would be the smart decision?

2. CTTheSchism

CTTheSchism

• Sponsor
    In-Game Name:
    CTTheSchism
    I heartily agree with this, Strydier, and I have a few things to add/reiterate.

1. ImDeity always has the server's best interest at heart. If he didn't care about the server, he'd be listening to all of you whine and doing whatever made you happy in the short term. As Strydier said it, he's thinking long-term here.

2. Deity and Zeben do a crap ton of work that most of you do not understand. Making plugins isn't the coding you see in movies; you don't just write a whole program in a few hours. If you'd like to see what Zeben does, you can go to www.twitch.tv/VanZeben.

3. It's a lot more noticeable when something is broken, and a lot less noticeable when something is fixed, because you think "Oh, well that's working as it should. That's what I expect." When you see something broken, however, you think "RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE. SOMETHING IS BROKEN I'LL GO COMPLAIN. HURR HURR." People tend to underestimate the work those two do because it's subtle. When's the last time you thought: "Holy crap! Zeben and Deity made a whole Kingdoms plugin from scratch! It allows me to create towns, add members, add assistants, purchase plots, view town information, view player information, etc. etc.

4. If you would like Deity and Zeben to keep you consistently updated on their progress, I understand that. But just know that the time they spend keeping the players updated is time detracted from developing.

5. ImDeity is in a transition period at the moment. Veterans are leaving, partially because players are wont to get bored after doing the same thing for so long, and also partially because of the assumed stagnation of the server. If you decide to take a break, come back in a few months and stand in awe at the beauty this server will become. I, for one, will be sticking with ImDeity through thick and thin because I love the people on here, and I feel loyal to them.

If I had to ask for one thing from Deity/Zeben, and I believe this is what many want, it would be for more Dev Blogs and updates on what you guys are doing. Even if it's just "Hey guys, I'm working on a /kingdoms map command atm, it's going well. Also, I was touching up on the /kingdoms prices command." These kind of things, however small they may be, have a huge impact on the player's perception of progress. It is not, however, their duty to do this consistently. I believe it would help a lot, though.

Anyway, that's all guys. Be patient, trust the staff, and try to enjoy yourselves!

3. moirafae

moirafae

• Sponsor
    In-Game Name:
    moirafae
    I don't care what anyone else says, really. My opinion is, as it has always been: I believe in the build team, in new Spawn, and in the devs. Perhaps it is because I'm an old lady and I'm more than willing to wait for good things, and I'm not bored because I busy myself with town silliness and building and such things ...

Keep doing what you're doing, all. I look forward to the end results. Haters gonna hate, ImDeity players gonna play better than anyone when everything comes to fruition.

4. Numinex

Numinex

In-Game Name:
    Numinex
    I to will stick with ImDeity through Thick and Thin!!!

5. vanZeben

vanZeben

• Sponsor
    In-Game Name:
    vanZeben
    xD Strydier I've said it before and ill say it again, I have a man-crush. You just have such a profound way with words.
    Also as the others have said haters gonna hate, taters gonna potate.

Maybe we should adopt a new policy to "enforce" some of these people causing the drama and make them stick to their word, with or without their consent...

6. zRations

zRations

• Sponsor
    In-Game Name:
    zRations
    I see nothing wrong with players expressing their opinions about the server as long as it is for the better. I have yet to see a player "whine" about "broken promises and the server falling apart". I have seen players talking about their opinions and that they wish the server could take a path other than what it is heading in now. All of this "whining" is players trying to make a effort to make a change for the better of the server. If a opinion of a matter is different than yours, there is no reason to consider it "whining".
    I respect your opinion just as I do the rest, as it is a trial to make a change for the good.

Building is a task that takes a while as most of us know, so I do not see any complaints on the timing of the build team. But what I do not understand is why things that should have been implemented 6 months ago has anything to do with a new spawn built 3 months latter. These things that were thought to be added 6 months ago had nothing to do with new spawn as new spawn was not even a thought.

As players explained their opinions about the server, Deity and Van, thought of some ideas to help these additions happen.

This topic has made me think back 6 months ago when the reset happened. So as I think to myself I ask,

7. vanZeben

vanZeben

• Sponsor
    In-Game Name:
    vanZeben
    I agree with you that there is nothing wrong with players expressing their opinions. That is fine, the issues that were are more talking about is a few people who are taking this as an opportunity to troll to their hearts content. If you want to take the time to let us know what you think could make the server better, or would like to inquire as to where the progress is, thats great. However if you want to continually and persistently be a whiny little &*#@$ and make a large effort to show us how much you "appreciate" how we have handled the server, then in my opinion you can just *#@$% right of. Whether its intelligent trolling or not if i see any more about it, im just going to start handing out bans. If you dont like the way the server is run, send us a complaint and be on your merry way. There are literally thousands of minecraft servers out-there and if this one doesn't live up to your expectations, go ahead and find one that does; and when/if that server dies due to either monetary issues or other reasons, you can always come right back here. Unless you decided to make a fuss on your way out the first time 'round.

There are a few rotten eggs, who have caused most of this, and those rotten eggs, are the whiners. And rations, maybe you should start looking a little closer to home rather the give general excuses about this. There are many that give reasonable explanations for their opinions, then there are a few who milk in every little opportunity they get. And those milking it are the ones who are whining

8. Rakonei

Rakonei

• Sponsor
    In-Game Name:
    rakonei
    Well I had written a reply to Zrations, but Van beat me to it xD

vanZeben likes this.
  9. CTTheSchism

CTTheSchism

• Sponsor
    In-Game Name:
    CTTheSchism
    As Zeben said, we aren't talking to everyone here. We're talking to a few people who are raging/leaving because they don't understand where the server is going.

Eltono and his opinions post was a great example of constructive criticism and intelligent thought. That was clearly people getting together and trying to better the server.

I won't name names here, but there were a few people in Elt's thread who literally whined about everything they could think of. They whined about what they didn't like, attacked the staff, and didn't even attempt to offer solutions to the problems.

Basically, if people present their concerns in an intelligent way, then that's awesome! What we don't need is people spreading their ill-informed, negative opinions around and compromising the sanctity of this server.

10. Kassial

Kassial

• Sponsor
    In-Game Name:
    Kassial
    I've decided to sticky this for the time being. So, that it is one of the first viewable threads whenever someone enters this section. It might help answer a few questions for those that are looking for answers.

edvardsyse, strydier and vanZeben like this.
  11. Jackyoung999

Jackyoung999

In-Game Name:
    SirHandsomeJack
    This is why we don't get nice things :3

12. strydier

strydier

• Sponsor
    In-Game Name:
    strydier
    Van and CTT already covered what I would have said in reply. I will state that constructive criticism is great but complaining because a person is bored and they are impatient with the way the server is progressing is not. In the past I have "whined" about certain things going on but didnt make big deals of them on the forums and in chat because I realize there is always more going on than I actually know about. Considering im rarely paying attention to chat or the forums I don't see how I can read/hear about the admins "breaking their promise" or that "the server is going down hill" and you do not.

I do see that you are confusing the timelines of when new spawn was first being planned. It was brought up to me a month after the reset. Plans were then made on who to add, prep a world to build on, get things lined up so the Team can be formed, etc.. We have been doing the actually building for almost 4 months. The planning and prepping before that was another 4-5 weeks.

Anyway, the last part of your reply in an effort to be sarcastic makes no sense. Which smart decision are you talking about? I see no choice in your reply. Just the angry/irritated comment.

13. Bilko

Bilko

• Sponsor
    In-Game Name:
    bilko100
    [​IMG]

I think this best explains it all...

Pre reset everyone was like "Yes!". That was the peak of inflated expectations. Then, as people realised things take time, people were like, "Oh, we're in the trough...". Now, with New Spawn on the horizon, Kingdoms 2.0 and class refinements, we're speeding up the slope of enlightenment before we hit the plateau of productivity!

14. 2mad

2mad

In-Game Name:
    2MAD
    mmmmmm taters nomnomnom but yea anyway , im not really sure i guess we should just do whats best for the server and the server community , ok so there are people who won't stop whining about classes new spawn .etc but hey there's always gonna be those people in game and irl who want everything and don't even think about the process. (example: the irish economy. all us irish people want the recession to be over and we want money,wonga, mula (you get my point) it takes time to resolve problems and in this case the economy of ireland needs to be fixed but that takes time) so what im basically saying is that just because you want something doesn't mean its gonna fall out of the sky and bam you have the thing you want. It takes time and sometimes it won't even happen
    THAT'S LIFE!
    thanks

15. acomoncold

acomoncold

In-Game Name:
    boodjd
    I will always stay with Im Deity!

16. strydier

strydier

• Sponsor
    In-Game Name:
    strydier
    Yes. There will always be things to complain about. There's a couple of things I wasn't happy with and I made my concerns known. I was told they would be addressed in the future and I said I understand. I have been allowed to be in TS when Van and Imdeity have stayed up til 6am working on things so I'm a bit more understanding.

Everyone just needs to realize that they are always working. Van's Live Stream is a good example. He's got exams all week and yet at 3am last night I logged into his live stream and he was doing code for the server. Things are getting done. Granted, not as fast as anyone wants them to be done but everyone is hurrying.

17. Eisenwyrm

Eisenwyrm

• Diamond
    In-Game Name:
    Eisenwyrm
    This would stir some excitement I do believe. Just like MC devs handing out spoilers for what's coming in future updates keeps me excited for the future of MC. Can work server side as well.

I am patient tho. My current project will take a few months to complete. Long as there is not another reset! :p

**If you need another hand building stuff, sign me up. :D**

18. strydier

strydier

• Sponsor
    In-Game Name:
    strydier
    Where is this reset rumor coming from? I'm hearing this more than anything.

19. Zouleena

Zouleena

• Sponsor
    In-Game Name:
    Zouleena
    All it takes is one person saying something... gets folks all up in a tizzy that does.
    Van has said repeatedly there will be no reset, but folks keep bringin' it up?

BigDeer and Cantwait2bhome like this.
  20. FaTd33r

FaTd33r

• Gold
    In-Game Name:
    FaTd33r
    Where the rumors comes from, is unknown. But what I know, is that players think like this: "Oh, new spawn? That means a reset! Well I'll stop my project and just whine about it, because it takes time!"

Just to let you know that I disapprove this idea, and I totally agree with you Strydier.

The build team and the devs do have life, they're a bunch of normal people that are actually working their butts off to create something that will please the eyes and mind of every little person that plays on the server. And personally, complaining about something that you may not be able to create in a such restricted amount of time, is a lack of respect for the ones who actually build it.
    (I know that some could possibly do some beautiful buildings, but to regroup all of them, make tweaks, create new builds and such, but doing it alone, well... it deserves a reward.Anyway, i'm not here for this.)

[​IMG]

-Deer.

thejacoborg likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.