1. Play on the ImDeity Minecraft Multiplayer server -- Goto the "Multiplayer" section of Minecraft and type "mc.imdeity.com" to join!
    Dismiss Notice

Lighting techniques

Discussion in 'Creative Tips, Critiques, and Advice' started by Hallideadly, December 1, 2013.

1. Hallideadly

Hallideadly

• Sponsor
    In-Game Name:
    Hallideadly
    Anyone can place a torch on a wall. This post is to explain some other methods of using light in your builds.

1; Under light. - just a term I call a light source that emanates from behind other blocks. for example;
    take a glowstone block, place one slab on each side of it and then place one slab not on the top of the
    glowstone, but one space above the top of it. This will light up the slabs around the glowstone but will
    not light up anything else surrounding the slabs. This same method works with stair blocks and can be
    used in different orientations to create some awesome effects.

Now place some glowstone on the ground in a pattern, any pattern will do. Cover the entire area with
    slabs (quartz) directly above the glowstone, so actually on top of the glowstone this time. When the
    floor is completely covering the glowstone you will see the slabs all light up. This makes a bright floor
    and further in this post I will explain how to manipulate this effect with over light. Keep in mind that any
    slab or stair block will do the same thing - I said quartz as you will see more of the effect with this block.

Then you can have a light source on the bottom and top rows of a wall, all the way across from one end of
    a wall to the other. Now place a stair or slab block in front of those rows of light and when completely
    covered this will light up one side of the stair block, or the entire slab block for the entire length of the
    wall. This does not light up the room, but gives a unique effect to a wall. Play around with this technique
    to have some fantastic looking walls. Keep in mind that walls do not have to be one block thick. If your
    walls are 3 or more blocks thick then you can make your walls have depth by leaving open spaces in the
    front part of the wall and have different blocks behind that give a nice visual. Put some light sources in
    side this wall to make it even more impressive.

2; Over light. - simply any light source that is not blocked by anything. In other words a light source that
    illuminates the surrounding area. Over light will always overpower under light. What I mean is this;
    remember the floors made with glowstone under quartz slabs. now over light will dampen the under
    lights effect on the quartz slabs.. Place a slab on a wall above this quartz floor and then place a redstone
    torch on that slab. Notice how that effected the light on the quartz floor. Again - play around with this
    idea to come up with some really cool floor patterns.

Note that some things can cover your light sources without changing the effectiveness of their light
    dispersal. ex; a picture covering a glowstone block in a wall will not dampen the glowstones shine, but
    does effectively hide your light source. Carpets will also cover a light source on the floor without dampening it's brightness.

More methods include making a small pillar of 8 blocks high with a light source in the center at the
    bottom. the light gives a nice shading effect to the pillar as it dims the further up the pillar it goes.

These are just a couple quick examples of playing with light sources in your builds. There are many more techniques, so play around with these ideas to get yourself acquainted with their effects.

I really hope this has been a helpful post - Be creative, ( try different things) :)

Edited for those that need visuals - o'O

[​IMG]

There is glowstone with slabs and stairs around them that do not give off light but do light up the stair or slab next to them, an all quartz floor,( 9 blocks wide in the middle with glowstone underneath), that light is manipulating into a pattern. some slabs surrounded by green wool going along the side walls lit up by underlight . 4 torches that I have placed high enough so that only small portions of the floor change. Even the smallest amount of overlight will overpower underlight. The glowstone at each end gives the triangular pattern ends to the floor.

As for diagrams. lol.. I do not use diagrams, or plans. Truth is I have no idea what I am doing. :rolleyes:

Last edited: June 25, 2014
  2. Tallpines

Tallpines

• Sponsor
    In-Game Name:
    Tallpines
    Thanks for the tips Halli!

Hallideadly and sparten_1117 like this.
  3. iSquared

iSquared

• Senior Moderator
    • Gold
    In-Game Name:
    iSquared
    Cool tips :D

I've been one of the Special Effects guys on a Minecraft video crew like a year ago. We were also using a lot of different lighting techniques and I found it very fun to discover new ways of placing light in Minecraft :p Might sound weird, but whatever :p

minibirde and Hallideadly like this.
  4. sliferkiller

sliferkiller

In-Game Name:
    sliferkiller
    would be nice to have pictures or diagrams!

5. Vershye

Vershye

• Senior Moderator
    • Diamond
    In-Game Name:
    Vershye
    Not sure if I'm the only one or not, but, since when did Minecraft have a moonstone block?

6. Dragonslayer314

Dragonslayer314

In-Game Name:
    Dragonslayer314
    I assume he means glowstone.

7. Hallideadly

Hallideadly

• Sponsor
    In-Game Name:
    Hallideadly
    umm, errr.. did I say glowstone - ya, glowstone.. that's what I said..

visit my creative plot rank 5 and see many different effects I mentioned in OP. I have not finished the build yet, but the bottom floor is nearly complete.

Last edited by a moderator: December 2, 2013
  8. legoazurp

legoazurp

• Vip
    In-Game Name:
    LEGOAP
    His plot is a diagram xD

Hallideadly likes this.
  9. Tallpines

Tallpines

• Sponsor
    In-Game Name:
    Tallpines
    The biggest diagram you have ever seen too.

Hallideadly and sparten_1117 like this.
  10. Hallideadly

Hallideadly

• Sponsor
    In-Game Name:
    Hallideadly
    Thanks for the likes - fantastic

Also bumping this thread as I have edited the Original Post with a graphic for those that wanted some kind of visual.

11. 4here4

4here4

Oh man, that's cool! Thanks much for the tips. I've always noticed how light under slabs made it behave strangely, but now I actually understand it!

Hallideadly likes this.
  12. xxtechnomancerxx

xxtechnomancerxx

If you wanted another way to light your house and its a grand hall type thing you can use lava in between pillars of quarts.

Hallideadly likes this.
  13. jadman777

jadman777

• Gold
    In-Game Name:
    jadman777
    Thanks for the great tips. I will come back to this thread at another time and try out these ways. Cheers

Hallideadly likes this.
  14. CYRAX_VORTEX

CYRAX_VORTEX

I like to put 2-block-deep holes in my floor, then fill the bottom block with glowstone, and the top block with a stained glass that compliments the floor color.

Hallideadly likes this.
  15. maxthetau3

maxthetau3

Thx for the cool ideas!

My days of torch placing are over

Last edited by a moderator: June 1, 2014
    Hallideadly likes this.
  16. qwirx

qwirx

• Sponsor
    Thanks Hallideadly for the inspiration!
    I have another problem though, how to light up a big space with an ambient light (or close to ambient)?

Hallideadly likes this.
  17. Hallideadly

Hallideadly

• Sponsor
    In-Game Name:
    Hallideadly
    chandeliers ?

[​IMG]

mine are ugly - but I have seen some beautiful ones around

18. Mightytitans

Mightytitans

• Gold
    In-Game Name:
    Mightytitans
    Thanks halli

19. venomstar12355

venomstar12355

thanks this really helped

20. Stormmay

Stormmay

• Diamond
    In-Game Name:
    Stormmay
    these are cool tips, really gonna help my next creative plot.