1. Play on the ImDeity Minecraft Multiplayer server -- Goto the "Multiplayer" section of Minecraft and type "mc.imdeity.com" to join!
    Dismiss Notice

/inv restore?

Discussion in 'Suggestions / Ideas' started by X920MikeyB, February 1, 2012.

1. X920MikeyB

X920MikeyB

In-Game Name:
    X920MikeyB
    Hey,

This is just a basic quick idea I've come up with because there's been a few that have complained about loosing their inventory when participating in an event. - Whilst I know there's stuff in place already to stop this happening, sometimes it's still happening... at least that's what a few players are claiming.

We want to encourage players to participate in events therefore I personally believe we need a 100% proof system.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think if players d/c or get d/c'ed during an event they do not get their inventory back at the end of the event?

If that's the case then here's my idea / suggestion.

Basically, when players get warped into an event their Inventory is saved and then cleared and stored in a temporary place. Then when the player is warped out of the event, or after the event has ended they will be able to restore their own inventory by typing a command such as /inv restore. This will then check to see if they have an inventory stored, if so. Give them their Inventory back and clear the temporary file so that they can only restore it once. Then next event, it will store again... etc.

Maybe have storage for each individual event should they not of recovered 1 inventory from 1 event so that they don't loose anything.

Like "/inv mobevent" when they type /inv or /inv it will display what inventories they have stored and tell them what to type to claim it back.

Just an idea so that players can then reclaim their own inventories. That way there's no "I lost this, I lost that, I didn't get my inventory back" etc...

Let me know what you guys and gals think.

Cheers,

Mike.

P.S. Sorry if it's rushed, got to go out :S

2. RyanRugenus

RyanRugenus

• Diamond
    In-Game Name:
    RyanRugenus
    this is a GREAT idea

3. vanZeben

vanZeben

• Sponsor
    In-Game Name:
    vanZeben
    if a player d/c's directly after or during an event we think that it is suitable for them to lose their inventory. Not sure the specifics why but i asked deity about it and that was his response.

4. Wyvernknight13

Wyvernknight13

• Diamond
    In-Game Name:
    Wyvernknight13
    I agree losing an inventory due to uncontrollable circumstances, such as a d/c during an event is frustrating, it has happened to me as well.

The problem I foresee with your system is with mobevents every hour, pvpevents and such, the amount of space, i.e. computer memory, the inventories will take up can increase to drastic levels quite easily. If we were to delete the inventories after a set amount of time, there will still be people logging on afterwards who lose their inventory.

I personally agree with your idea of storage space before events, perhaps a giant room full of chests, or players are required to bring their own chests to store their items in, with specific spots for placing them.
    [One note: If an inventory has not been claimed after X amount of time than it was created, it should be able to be removed by the admins for space]

No system will be perfect, and people will still fall through the cracks and lose their items. At least then it will be their own faults :/

5. Vershye

Vershye

• Senior Moderator
    • Diamond
    In-Game Name:
    Vershye
    This I have to disagree with. At least half the time, if not more, it's not the players decision on whether they d/c during the event or not. It's either their internet connection being stupid, the connection between them and minecraft, or just the connection between them and the server. So I don't think it's 'suitable' for them to lose it b/c a lot of the time it's not their fault.

6. smcallah

smcallah

• Administrator
    In-Game Name:
    smcallah
    The problem I see with a command to restore you inventory on-demand is that people could basically use this is a second inventory. So they could fill their inventory while mining, sign up for mobevent, then go back to mining after that, and fill up their inventory, and put that in a chest, then use the /inv restore command and get that inventory and put it in a chest. Then repeat the cycle.

7. Wyvernknight13

Wyvernknight13

• Diamond
    In-Game Name:
    Wyvernknight13
    A possible workaround: Delete the inventory if they do not participate in the mobevent? Although this would bring us back to the original problem...

Point to smcallah.

8. Vershye

Vershye

• Senior Moderator
    • Diamond
    In-Game Name:
    Vershye
    An option similar to Wyventknight's, instead of clearing it if they don't participate, just clear all saved inventories for the previous mob event just before the next mob event starts. So even if the player gets d/c'd, they have an hour in order to get their inv back.

Or, instead of an inventory restore option code in a confirmation that they have to /mobaccept in order to be tp'd into the event so they can't say "They didn't realize they were signed up". Just put a 20 second timer on them accepting before the even starts without them.

9. vanZeben

vanZeben

• Sponsor
    In-Game Name:
    vanZeben
    Simple solution. Dont rely on it to save your ****. We announce 1 minute (which is actually 90 seconds) before the event starts. You see this and you signed up? Run home and put your **** away.

10. Vershye

Vershye

• Senior Moderator
    • Diamond
    In-Game Name:
    Vershye
    That's another problem. for 90% of the people on the server, 1 minute isn't even close to enough time to get from where they are to their home/chest where they can store their stuff. If I didn't have my /home, it actually takes me a couple minutes just to walk from /t spawn to my storage area. And it's only 6 floors straight down.

And I'm not giving suggestions for myself, as I never go to any events with anything in my inventory, even when I'm only a spectator. I'm just one of the ones that gets complained at every time someone loses yet another inventory b/c it didn't get restored.

Possibly put an announcement further out? 5 mins, 3 mins then 1 min?

11. AmIAnnoyingNow

AmIAnnoyingNow

In-Game Name:
    AmIAnnoyingNow
    Limit its use to only in the capital, and have it delete your current inventory when used.

-Players would still have to port/walk twice to use the 'double inventory', thus they have to do the trek twice regardless.
    -Players have to walk back to wherever they were anyways, since they spawn in the capital after the event.
    -Attempting to store a set of mining equipment (in case of death) would require treking back to your chest a 2nd time to get the second set, thus not actually saving any time.

The only real concern is the time taken to make the command and its reliability, bug abuse could lead to item duplication and plugin failure would just be rubbing the original problem in the victim's face.

12. vanZeben

vanZeben

• Sponsor
    In-Game Name:
    vanZeben
    yea i think that would be best

13. Realm1121

Realm1121

• Sponsor
    In-Game Name:
    Realm1121
    increased timer sounds like the best option cause even if they are mining they can make a chest and hide it if they aret part of a town (although thats a bad idea) and a message saying: "MobEvent will begin in 5 minutes, please safely store any items you may wish to not lose, in any insuccessful inventory saves."

14. ngennaro

ngennaro

• Vip
    In-Game Name:
    ngennaro
    Agreed I don't mean to leave during a event, but for some reason, when I enter a mob event, I lag out, with minecraft saying there is no more memory. When I log back in, back in spawn.

15. AmIAnnoyingNow

AmIAnnoyingNow

In-Game Name:
    AmIAnnoyingNow
    I'd recommend restarting minecraft right before the event, if you still get the issue, try turning down your render distance and other video settings in options for the event.

Also, i would really love the mobaccept idea, maybe a bit of lobby time for people to go find a chest before it starts.

16. Vershye

Vershye

• Senior Moderator
    • Diamond
    In-Game Name:
    Vershye
    I've done this on my own computer to set it to the 1 gig of memory allocated when I was using the regular minecraft launcher. When I'm using the spoutcraft launcher it actually has a built in setting that lets you set it within the options of the launcher to make it easier on you. I've never gotten the 'ran out of memory' error with spoutcraft when I have the setting to 1 gig, and I'm using a hd texture pack.

Step 7 is the main part you'll want to do. The other steps are just getting you to where 7 is.

17. ngennaro

ngennaro

• Vip
    In-Game Name:
    ngennaro
    Thanks you guys. I will use your tips.

18. Chadward27

Chadward27

In-Game Name:
    Chadward27
    Seems like it would fix it to me.

19. hangindude

hangindude

In-Game Name:
    hangindude
    this is a great idea. i've already lost about 20 goldingots from going to the mobevent.

20. BigBird

BigBird

In-Game Name:
    BigBirdo
    sounds good