1. Play on the ImDeity Minecraft Multiplayer server -- Goto the "Multiplayer" section of Minecraft and type "mc.imdeity.com" to join!
    Dismiss Notice

Into the wilderness...

Discussion in 'Suggestions / Ideas' started by Sephronia, April 9, 2012.

1. Sephronia

Sephronia

• Sponsor
    In-Game Name:
    Sephronia
    Hi all,

As we all know, there is a constant stream of 'Where can I build?' and 'Ive been walking forever!' in regards to people taking the portals into the wilderness in the main world.

Even I have become frustrated when taking a portal, appearing in the middle of nowhere and then becoming disoriented trying to work out which way is -away- from the capital zone. You walk for so long, you start to doubt if you are indeed walking away from the capital. I would like clarification as well as to when you spawn from a portal. When you spawn, are you facing the direction that is away from the capital...?

I would like to suggest, at the portal spawn sites, some sort of indicator of directions. Something to point away from the capital so that newbies can easily walk that way as well as indicators of the cardinal directions (North, South, East, West).

Before anyone jumps down my throat, yes, you can use F3 to have your coords up. Have fun telling that to every newbie. Yes, you can look at the sky and watch the sun and moon to determine which way is East and which is West.

Quoted from 'Getting from spawn to build' thread in the 'Help' subforum.

Jaakey - 'Me and Slimeorb are on our 3rd attempt to actually get to building point. Our first attempt consistsed of walking, sprinting etc. and then being attacked and killed from lack of hunger. The 2nd attempt was using a portal we went to the north portal and ended up walking straight back into spawn. It there a chance you could tp us to the building border?
    Thankyou,
    -Jaak'

As you can see, very frustrating, and from I understand, causes a few people to give up on the server before they can experience how awesome it actually is.

Many thanks,
    Seph.

btarb24, Kassial and Rillaith like this.
  2. Cave Johnson

Cave Johnson

In-Game Name:
    TDBman58
    I haven't really had this issue (Before I made it to build able territory I joined a town...) But it wouldn't really be too hard to place down a few signs. I think someone with those perms could easily make this happen.

3. BarryX15

BarryX15

• Sponsor
    In-Game Name:
    BarryX15
    Funny issue about portals is that in earlier minecraft versions (i think pre- 1.8 Beta / 1.9 Beta) Sun went in different way (rotated 90° clockwise or counterclockwise, i am not sure). As portal are still named according to that, you now have to use WEST portal to get into SOUTH direction :)

Sephronia likes this.
  4. Sephronia

Sephronia

• Sponsor
    In-Game Name:
    Sephronia
    Thats interesting to notice, Barry. I guess that's why it's all so confusing. I would love to hear from a mod about all this :)

5. BarryX15

BarryX15

• Sponsor
    In-Game Name:
    BarryX15
    im not a mod, but i think i can explain it too - there is little time to fiddle with little details like this, when you have more important things to do - for example to solve lag/restart issues :) If there will be portals in new spawn, i will make sure to name them properly.

6. Sephronia

Sephronia

• Sponsor
    In-Game Name:
    Sephronia
    Little problems, especially persistant ones, can cause a lot of headaches.

7. Rillaith

Rillaith

• Sponsor
    In-Game Name:
    Rillaith
    Definitely ... given that the portals land you within the protected zone, it seems essential that they should have a sign pointing back at the main spawn - unless they port you to random places within the protected zone near the perimeter, and not always the same location? Then I'd understand why there'd be no signposting...

Kassial and Sephronia like this.
  8. Litknight

Litknight

In-Game Name:
    hfjf4
    Wow umm i dont know hot to respond to that ohh wait i do why care get in to a town its realy not that hard even for the so called newbies

9. btarb24

btarb24

• Developer
    • Sponsor
    In-Game Name:
    btarb24
    Well, that's not a very useful response. The point of this thread was to assist those that want to live in the wilderness... not those that want to live in a town. With that aside, newcomers often don't understand the server culture enough to know how to join a town yet.. or even know that there are towns to join at all. Also, try using some punctuation in your replies so it's less painful to try to decipher what you're attempting to say.

I vividly recall my struggles trying to walk away from the town spawn when i first started on the server. Having these signs at the portal spawn points would be an excellent addition to assist the newcomers. Great idea :) To add to this idea, i think it might be a nice addition to give out a Compass in the starter kit.

Imagine taking the West portal. Upon arriving you then find a "west is this way -->" sign. Great.. so you head off that way. Then you come into a lake, or a mess of tree leaves, etc and you end up losing your bearing. Having a compass would assist in retaining an understanding of which direction you need to travel to exit the restricted area.

Cave Johnson, Moiriana and Sephronia like this.