1. Play on the ImDeity Minecraft Multiplayer server -- Goto the "Multiplayer" section of Minecraft and type "mc.imdeity.com" to join!
    Dismiss Notice

Informing new players about the Limited /Sethome and /Home features

Discussion in 'Suggestions / Ideas' started by MDconstruct, July 12, 2015.

1. MDconstruct

MDconstruct

• Diamond
    In-Game Name:
    MDconstruct
    Is there a place in the website that lets you know about the 40 limit /sethome /home feature? I looked for it but could not find it after I received a notice that I only could use the /home a few more times without donating. Luckily, I live in a town with a warp so no big deal but if I had built in the middle of no where, it would have been very frustrating getting back after going to HUB, Mall, Main, and mining area. I understand the reasons mentioned in the forum about why it is the way it is but letting players know about this when they join the server might help them in deciding where they wanted to create their build.
    Just a suggestion if it has not been already made. :)
    Thanks,
    MDConstruct

MasahiroRina, asdfjkll and BarryX15 like this.
  2. heinz_gruber

heinz_gruber

• Sponsor
    In-Game Name:
    heinz_gruber
    These things are mostly the main deterrent to prevent people building randomly on the map, it is much better for everyone when players belong to a town instead, that way they have to follow town rules, if someone is on their own in the wild, they will tend to be more selfish and less co-operative. But being part of a town means we can all work together and help each other.

I am sure the 40 homes is mentioned somewhere on the wiki, but yes thats really a bonus perk, if you donate like many do you can have as many /homes as you can need.

Fortunately it works in favor of the rest of the towns because we all have /t spawn, and or /t warp (name) and /t pwarp (town) (warpname)

It is a server geared towards towns and Kingdoms, so random lone rangers on the map would discourage town growth or prevent expansion and cause a whole host of issues. Therefore it is in everyones best interest to belong to a town rather than go it alone.

We still get the odd lone ranger but a few is better than many xD

MasahiroRina likes this.
  3. jdonovin

jdonovin

• Gold
    In-Game Name:
    jdonovin
    That is a great point, I agree completely with that, plus the lone rangers have been finding their way into my town and building in unclaimed plots, and on the wall. Others have been building houses and wont stop or move them away. With that going on it is difficult to make new plots or make other town build to have the town grow.

MasahiroRina likes this.
  4. MasahiroRina

MasahiroRina

• Gold
    In-Game Name:
    MasahiroRina
    I definitely think it needs to be mentioned to new players, especially ones who don't know that one should use the wiki. I am fairly intelligent when it comes to finding information, and I was still very unpleasantly surprised when I discovered the limit. When I registered, I misunderstood the blurb on the donate page; my understanding was that there was a limited number of /homes. I wasn't expecting a limit on uses. As I had only 10 uses left when I discovered it, I was highly surprised. I brought this up to a couple of the staff who were online at the time, and the general consensus seemed to be that everyone who needs to know already knows.

A note; I do intend on donating in the future (to get fly) but I don't even have $25 to spare right now.

5. Vershye

Vershye

• Senior Moderator
    • Diamond
    In-Game Name:
    Vershye
    The limited uses has been there since the beginning of the server, and the information about it the same. Not sure why all of a sudden, 4 years after the server started, more information is needed about it.

6. MasahiroRina

MasahiroRina

• Gold
    In-Game Name:
    MasahiroRina
    Probably due to the turnover of people. People who have been involved since the beginning would have known it from the beginning.

7. Vershye

Vershye

• Senior Moderator
    • Diamond
    In-Game Name:
    Vershye
    So, all the new people that joined in the last 4 years magically knew when they joined? No, they figured it out by reading it or asking about it. The server hasn't run on the same players this whole time. So I still don't see any reason to add more info that's been covered well enough the whole time.

heinz_gruber likes this.
  8. Sephronia

Sephronia

• Sponsor
    In-Game Name:
    Sephronia
    Hi Masahiro,

I'm slightly confused about the following passage.
    I double-checked just in case the language on the donate page was not clear enough or needed updating. The Donation page explicitly states 'Unlimited use of /home - Mark your home and get a teleport back anytime' next to the 'Set Home' perk for donators. Is this the 'blurb' you had read? It stands to reason that since the donation perk is unlimited use of /home, that /home is otherwise limited for regular players.

I will see if I can get something about how /home is limited added in a more easily accessible place within the Guide or perhaps on signs at Main Spawn. This still requires new players to read it however.

Many thanks,
    Seph

9. heinz_gruber

heinz_gruber

• Sponsor
    In-Game Name:
    heinz_gruber
    Logic in action, i wish i had thought of that.

10. MasahiroRina

MasahiroRina

• Gold
    In-Game Name:
    MasahiroRina
    Thank you, Sephronia, I believe a sign at spawn would be the most logical place for information of that nature. Also, that is the blurb I read, and I definitely thought it was limiting something else. When I asked about it in public chat, I was told it referred to being able to set multiple home locations.

Please don't be sarcastic. It's not necessary. The "I don't want to change" tone I've received from most of the staff on this issue has been useless enough. If it weren't for other non-premium members' sympathy (because this same thing happened to them), I would have made a bigger issue out of this when it happened to me.

Honestly, I very much did not expect a limit on uses. This is my first time in a multiplayer server, for one thing. For another, I did ask about the blurb in public chat (twice) and received a soft "I don't know" and bad advice from whoever was online at the time - disproving Vershye's theory that everyone knows these things, or even that enough people know to be useful. I have already explained what I assumed the blurb meant, given the documentation I found - which was none. Therefore, I humbly submit; Please don't assume that because you know something, everyone else does.

Last edited: July 21, 2015
    BarryX15 and Fiver26 like this.
  11. Fiver26

Fiver26

• Gold
    In-Game Name:
    Fiver26
    Tbh when I first joined the server afew years back the only reason I knew about the amount of /homes was because I almost used them all up. I didn't read it on the cite, and if it was there it wasn't clearly stated in places other than the donations page. So a sign saying this or a blurb in chat when you first use it (instead of only when you almost used them all upwould be useful)

heinz_gruber and BarryX15 like this.
  12. heinz_gruber

heinz_gruber

• Sponsor
    In-Game Name:
    heinz_gruber
    ^^Yes Fiver Nice!^^

I am not sure why Masahiro quoted my response to Seph, you kinda make it look like i am replying to Versh and that could be confusing.

Is it a big deal? to some people yes!, so the only question is, Does Deity want to add a little something on the portal page perhaps?
    Or even a "you have 39 uses of /home /sethome left" in game perhaps.

But Vershye is right in what he said, most people would of known that already, and anyone else who looks at the donation page would see it, and if i may be so bold to think maybe if i try to look at this from Versh point of view, If the server has lasted this long without it being a major issue, is this a major issue?

But in opposition to that, i personally know what it is like to play and not use the website, not everyone wants to surf the web, some people just want to play minecraft. So on that basis personally i am for a /home notification thing when it is used.

But it doesn't matter what i want, it doesn't effect me in the slightest. But power to the people yo!

Stay classy peeps

Last edited: July 21, 2015
  13. MasahiroRina

MasahiroRina

• Gold
    In-Game Name:
    MasahiroRina
    Fixed.
    No, not a major issue. Neither is placing another sign at spawn. (For proof, look at the rapid increase in signs saying "use /wild") :)

BarryX15 likes this.
  14. BarryX15

BarryX15

• Sponsor
    In-Game Name:
    BarryX15
    The only official place where a limit to /home command is mentioned is Donator Commands chapter:
    "Sethome: Use /sethome (one /sethome per world) and use /home to spawn back there. Only Donators have unlimited use of the /home command"
    And there is no specification of how much it is limited.

As of today there is one more place (a sign) accessible by newbies (but too far away for them) telling that the /home is limited and it even says the amount of /homes. First one to post a screenshot of that sign gets 5000 Dei from me.
    As of today there are two more places (signs) that are NOT accessible by newbies telling that the /home is limited and also saying the amount of /homes. First one to post screenshots of those two signs get 2000 Dei from me.
    Unfortunately, the first (accessible) sign has never been made an official one, and the next two (unaccessible) signs are not official anymore.

Fun fact, Heinz: your idea already works. Sadly, it starts sending warnings only after someone uses it 30 times or so. That means, someone goes thousands of blocks away, builds a house and lives happily there for maybe a week, using his /home unaware about the limit, then he gets message "You used 30 of your 40 /home teleports." Which can be translated as "sorry dude, your time here is almost over."

If this would start sending warning since the first /home used, it could be translated as "be careful with using this, you will run out one day."

Perhaps thats the only thing needed?

heinz_gruber likes this.
  15. MasahiroRina

MasahiroRina

• Gold
    In-Game Name:
    MasahiroRina
    This is exactly what I've been asking for. The answer I received was that it's impossible to program in a message that sends only to new users for the first 40 uses, and it would over-trouble the paying users to receive these messages.