1. Play on the ImDeity Minecraft Multiplayer server -- Goto the "Multiplayer" section of Minecraft and type "mc.imdeity.com" to join!
    Dismiss Notice

Hunger Games Hourly Event

Discussion in 'Approved Suggestions' started by CTTheSchism, March 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CTTheSchism

CTTheSchism

• Sponsor
    In-Game Name:
    CTTheSchism
    Updated Top Post!

2. ImDeity

ImDeity

• Administrator
    In-Game Name:
    ImDeity
    I think you all will like what I've been working on the past few hours..

Qazz, skippyjr11, zRations and 7 others like this.
  3. Dutchy

Dutchy

• Diamond
    In-Game Name:
    Dragonlord849
    maybe also do a event (maybe make it weekly or daily)
    with 2 people of every town and then this event

4. CTTheSchism

CTTheSchism

• Sponsor
    In-Game Name:
    CTTheSchism
    Me Freaking Gusta

Qazz and joshbmxstar28 like this.
  5. ronsardis

ronsardis

• Vip
    In-Game Name:
    ronsardis
    That was fun... except i blew up at the beginning... i guess jumping was a bad idea

6. Arwenden

Arwenden

• Senior Moderator
    In-Game Name:
    Arwenden
    I still do not like the idea. It just is not original, but alright..

Anyhow: You say you want the event to happen one time a day? Well I guess it is in American time then.. AGAIN. If you want to do it every day, set the time so both European and American players can actually play. For I do not want to be online at 1 AM each day, if I would even want to participate.

Also, organizing this every day just destroys the 'fun' (although it is no fun, but okay) of the whole idea. In the books/film the hungergames event is once a year.. so I suggest once a week would be enough, that makes it more 'fun' and 'special' in my opinion.

Still I do not get the 'fun' of killing each other in a game event. That is just what I hated about the story.. kids nowadays may even think it would be normal. Pff... I get that this is a survival server but still.

Lord__Xemnas likes this.
  7. CTTheSchism

CTTheSchism

• Sponsor
    In-Game Name:
    CTTheSchism
    I never claimed that the idea was original. Not once. The idea has been around for a very long time, even before the hunger games. Just because it's not original does not mean it can't be fun.

The fun of this game is not "killing" one another (I put that in quotes because it's not killing) just as it was not fun in the story. The fun part is finding a friend who you can team up with to try to find food, and survive. Maybe you may run into someone and you might just have to "kill" them, but hey, that's part of the game. And no, kids do not think it's normal to kill because we do not equate sending a player back to spawn and taking their items to be killing. Murder does not once cross my mind while playing Minecraft. I'm quite sure it doesn't cross anyone else's either.

And as for the "Organizing" issue, the game would be automatically organized by a plugin. The way it is now is a simple signup and random choosing of players. Quick and easy. No "organizing" to be done.

Lord__Xemnas likes this.
  8. Arwenden

Arwenden

• Senior Moderator
    In-Game Name:
    Arwenden
    I do not even say it could be no fun if it was not original. There are lots of ways of making fun, by doing something that already exists. But for me it is always a 'pros' if something is original.

'The fun part is finding a friend who you can team up with to try to find food, and survive." And afterwards kill him/her, what is the fun of that? There is no fun in the games, especially not if you saw the movie and read the books. There is NO fun in killing, and yes maybe I am very fundamental in that case. Even not in PvP etc. This game is mainly about building. I agree that you have to survive by killing animals or monsters, but that is also reality. We do not kill people anymore like we did in the Gladiator games in the Roman period. Human's intelligence actually rose above those primitive instincts.

I also had to laugh about 'I put that in quotes because it is not killing'. It is no hunger games event if you do not kill people.. You actually wrote this yourself in the first post.
    The players gather resources and try to kill each other. Players receive dei for killing others and dei for winning the game. No need to be said more.

And I was not talking about 'murderous' thoughts of people actually playing MineCraft, but about the community it is now. Everything broadcasted on TV or in the cinemas ought to be normal nowadays. Do not tell me that is not true, for I have enough examples it is.

Oh and at last I just suggested you should edit that in your suggestion, for it seems no fair for European players who want to enter, and to make the event more 'fun' for the guys who want to. I do not even why you start about a plugin for I clearly did not hint or say something about that.

9. CTTheSchism

CTTheSchism

• Sponsor
    In-Game Name:
    CTTheSchism
    I put killing in quotes because of this:
    death/deTH/

Noun:
    1. The action or fact of dying or being killed; the end of the life of a person or organism.

The reason I quoted this definition is because on Deity's server, when you are "Killed" you simply respawn. No lives are being ended, therefore death is not occuring, therefore there is no "killing".

ZangetsuMC and I spent several hours last night experimenting on other hunger games servers. Multiple times we found ourselves the last two to survive. We both stacked up on the best armour we could find and then met for a 1 on 1 match. Zangetsu and I found this to be extremely fun! I do agree with you that there is no fun in killing. By killing I mean the exact definition of what killing is i.e. The ending of life. However, in most games, you aren't out of the game forever if you die once, so it's okay to defeat opponents IMO.

I don't understand entirely what you meant here so correct me if I'm wrong. I want this game to be fun for all, so if you feel that it's unfair for Europeans because of timezones, then perhaps the game could be every 12 hours? I'm not sure, suggest a solution.

As for the issue about the plugin, I was telling you about the automation of the games because I thought you were concerned about the "organizing" of it. I only just now realized you meant the fact that it'd be less fun if it was daily. And so in response to that, it's really a matter of opinion. Zangetsu and I spent many hours playing hunger games back-to-back. Neither of us felt that the frequency of the events ruined the fun.

10. Lord__Xemnas

Lord__Xemnas

• Gold
    In-Game Name:
    Lord__Xemnas
    What i believe she is saying here is that we need to have 2 opportunities to play: 1 based off North American time, and the other on an easier European time. Also, a match every 12 hours make it less special, which is how Spleef and PvP still remain fun...once a week.

This ^ is a great solution for the time issue. You have on 1 day (the specific day can be decided later) out of the week the US match and the European match, that way the event still keeps its speciality but is conveinent for the 2 major timezones here on Deity

LadyArwenden likes this.
  11. HolyBabe

HolyBabe

In-Game Name:
    HolyBabe
    I have heard of them. A lot of people talk about them on diff servers and whipser me that i should join if i really like it. i would like to try it out :)

12. Kassandra

Kassandra

In-Game Name:
    HapyBirdy
    On the note of 1 hour limit, some people may have lag and might not be able to collect nessecary resources, but I love your idea and I hope it isn't passed over as a common request for every server! ;)

13. Auzama

Auzama

In-Game Name:
    Auzama
    Well I got to test this event out, and it was pretty fun... I don't know if my ideas matter but as for suggestions and things I'd like to see, well, different maps and biomes would be pretty neat, such as the jungle biome... I could imagine climbing up real high on those huge trees and 'vining' your way around the map... Maybe even an underground map with the threat of magma and leg-shattering drops, and/or near total darkness... Perhaps some mobs could be added, like cows if you're desperate for leather armor and food if you get hungry from sprinting... But whatever the final product is, I'm sure this will be a very popular event, and I'll be playing quite a bit... ;) (Oh and one more idea, maybe disable player names being shown above everyone while in the event, or just have them appear when very close... That may make the game too long depending on the map though, so, yea, it's just another thought...)

14. Bonesetter1775

Bonesetter1775

• Gold
    In-Game Name:
    Bonesetter1775
    I think we're looking at ways to force combat and have the event not be drawn out forever. Many die in the first few moments, but we don't want five people playing hide and go seek for 30 minutes.

ImDeity likes this.
  15. Kassial

Kassial

• Sponsor
    In-Game Name:
    Kassial
    Well, it would depend on how often these events are going to be held. If it's one every hour then I can see why it shouldn't be dragged on.. however if it's one every once in awhile, then I don't see a problem with them dragging on. Unless I'm missing something?

Bonesetter1775 likes this.
  16. Auzama

Auzama

In-Game Name:
    Auzama
    Hmm ways to force combat? Well maybe the map could slowly destroy itself from the outer area into the inner when a certain amount of players are left, if that's possible... Or if player kills aren't entirely necessary, add aggressive mobs as the player count gets lower and lower, maybe break away land that creates a ravine that leads down into a fiery hot pool of death... o.o But I agree with Kassial, if these events are going to be rare, I think they should be somewhat long...

17. Bonesetter1775

Bonesetter1775

• Gold
    In-Game Name:
    Bonesetter1775
    You're completely right, and I agree Kassial. I don't think you're missing anything besides ImDeity deciding on the schedule.

Player kills aren't entirely necessary... and aggressive mobs do exist when night falls. Also, there's no cap to how many spawn, so it gets real dirty, real quick.

18. Itforesight4

Itforesight4

In-Game Name:
    itforesight4
    I think that it could be once weekly or biweekly so that it stays special, and the games can be way more intense, with the need to hide and things like that....

19. Johndahbomb

Johndahbomb

• Sponsor
    In-Game Name:
    Johndahbomb
    i like that it is often. :D we had a hard time a little bit ago getting the 24 people to sign up lol
    there was around 38 people online

20. joshbmxstar28

joshbmxstar28

In-Game Name:
    joshbmxstar28
    i think once you enter your little podium thing, it should wait just a little longer before the games to begin so the world loads a little? Maybe just me :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.