1. Play on the ImDeity Minecraft Multiplayer server -- Goto the "Multiplayer" section of Minecraft and type "mc.imdeity.com" to join!
    Dismiss Notice

Great Construction Submission by: Squeezal

Discussion in 'Great Constructions' started by squeezal, June 15, 2012.

1. squeezal

squeezal

• Diamond
    In-Game Name:
    squeezal
    So, while browsing through the great constructions, I have seen many great buildings, ships, and even a giant sheep AT-AT. However, I'm sure everyone can remember a time when they were exploring and came upon a natural landscape which took their breath away in all its pristine, randomly generated glory. That is why, as a landscaper, I was disapointed not to see any landscaping. Oh sure, there were things here and there, but never without a large building of some sort in sight. You may not think my submissions are appropriate for a great construction thread, and indeed they go against the grain of several of the guidelines. However, I wish to take something minecrafters see everyday, grass and trees, and make them look again.
    [1]: Squeezal
    [2]: The Hill of Mystical Wisdom
    [3]: While helping to mark plots in Caldera, I saw a hill which was ill-situated to use for town purposes. It was in an awkward spot and cut off by a ravine. I obtained permission to work on it, allowed my first impressions to inspire me, and set off to work.
    [4]: Default
    [5]: Screenshots
    The Whole.jpg The Whole 2.jpg far away.jpg island.jpg Lonely Chair.jpg Symbol.jpg under ravine.jpg Words of Wisdom.jpg
    [6]: Caldera, x -711, z -2073
    [7]: As a Mystic, I follow 4 guideleines in everything I build in
    minecraft
    1: Simplicity
    2: Viewers mindset is changed or positively altered
    3: Individual aspects have their own personalites seperate but adding
    to the whole.
    4: I stop when my gut tells me to stop; not before and not after.

When considering whether or not landscaping is approapriate for Great Construction threads keep in mind this guideline:
    - The structure does not have to be large as long as you make the build appealing and you use your space well it can be considered "great"

2. squeezal

squeezal

• Diamond
    In-Game Name:
    squeezal
    Reserved

3. squeezal

squeezal

• Diamond
    In-Game Name:
    squeezal
    Reserved Too

4. Buenian

Buenian

In-Game Name:
    Buenian
    Holy moly! The landscaping is gorgeous! Good job man :)

5. Lord_Aquarius

Lord_Aquarius

In-Game Name:
    Lord_Aquarius
    Very pretty... this could cut the line for a great construction...maybe. Think. If a mod accepted this, then, every other guy would try to just make some pretty landscaping to get that rank up. But, what makes it great, in my opinion, is how unique it is. It looks amazing, but maybe something else? Maybe a man-made beautiful cave that stretches down with ores? I think something can be added, and it would definitely be called great.

Moiriana likes this.
  6. squeezal

squeezal

• Diamond
    In-Game Name:
    squeezal
    Hmm, I just don't think I could add anything too it. My gut tells me it's finished. While I am hoping to get landscaping accepted as great constructions, I think it can be evident who puts work into it and who doesn't. I suppose it's up to the mods to decide. Thanks for the constructive feedback too! I designed the town wall behind it if that helps...

MajorPickle1496 likes this.
  7. BarryX15

BarryX15

• Sponsor
    In-Game Name:
    BarryX15
    Although it may be too small for Great Construction...
    Although it may be too cheap for Great Constructtion...
    Although it may be too incospicuous for Great Construction...
    ...I still hope it will become one.

Landscaping consumes much more resources than buildings and nobody recognizes it because its just landscaping. But i believe nobody wants our server to turn into griefed wasteland. I am glad to see someone trying hard to keep it nice and cozy.

8. joshbmxstar28

joshbmxstar28

In-Game Name:
    joshbmxstar28
    Hey dude i like it! :) Check out my creative plot, i did something very similar! :)

9. Bren_WOLF_Man

Bren_WOLF_Man

In-Game Name:
    Bren_wolf_Man
    Nice job man.

[​IMG]

10. moirafae

moirafae

• Sponsor
    In-Game Name:
    moirafae
    As a fellow landscaper, I agree with you that it would be nice if landscaping could be taken into account for the Great Construction requirement. That being said, I think the same kinds of things that make a great building construction should go for making a great landscape construction. As in, difficulty, materials, time consumption and so forth. I really think your garden is very lovely, but I'm not sure it quite passes for a great construction, taking all this into account.

Perhaps part of this might be because we don't know what the area looked like before you started. For instance, if it was a desert wasteland before you started, then this could be considered fairly impressive. As it is, you say there was already a hill there. You did shape it, and possibly also closed up a ravine to make it passable, which is very nice, and can be labour intensive, and you added the river and pool, as well as the yin yang decor and the bridge. You likely also placed the trees and grass and flowers and bushes and such ... It just seems to me that, while this is very nice, and no, scale isn't always the most important thing, I'm not sure if it's really in the vein of 'great' ...

But it opens a really interesting possibility for those of us who enjoy landscaping, and I want to say thanks for that. I think this could open some great opportunities, and I look forward to more from you! :D

ngennaro, C0nfuseki and Lord_Aquarius like this.
  11. squeezal

squeezal

• Diamond
    In-Game Name:
    squeezal
    I agree with you, Moiriana. I posted this, not so much as to get my design labeled as 'great', but to raise the question of landscaping being acceptable as being labeled great. I hope to collect the criticisms and judgements posted about this project and hopefully create a landscape which meets the requirements of 'great'. So far I see: labour intensive, drastically changes previous landscape, shows man made influences, and unique. I hope to gather more requirements. Keep them coming!

Moiriana likes this.
  12. andrewsupermario

andrewsupermario

• Diamond
    In-Game Name:
    ANDREWSUPERMARIO
    Squeezal created an artistic masterpiece with this landscape design. Believe me, I saw this area before he worked on it. The transformation is amazing! He put in a great amount of work and detail into this project and he built this area into a thing of beauty. His landscaping and design continues to add great value throughout Caldera. In fact, as he mentioned above, and he designed and directed the building of the Great Wall of Caldera, which was a massive undertaking and now surrounds our whole town. You can see a small part of the wall in these pictures. This epic wall should also be taken into consideration as well as his landscaping build.

13. Leviathan_Ziz

Leviathan_Ziz

• Gold
    In-Game Name:
    Leviathan_Ziz
    It looks very natural, is very well designed, but it's lack's size, and the actual "Construction" part for me to say: " Yes" .

14. squeezal

squeezal

• Diamond
    In-Game Name:
    squeezal
    I think I have enough constructive criticism to plan the next project. I welcome more though!

15. sliqu

sliqu

In-Game Name:
    sliqu
    wow that is amazing work nice!

16. Overself

Overself

• Sponsor
    In-Game Name:
    Overself
    I love the ying yang and the way the water surrounds is really cool. I like how you have a set of guidelines you create by too !

17. CTTheSchism

CTTheSchism

• Sponsor
    In-Game Name:
    CTTheSchism
    Good job, buddy. If there's one thing I have to say, it's definitely that you need to take a before picture so we can get an idea of how much work was put in.

18. squeezal

squeezal

• Diamond
    In-Game Name:
    squeezal
    thanks. I've taken a few pictures of the space my current project is in, but it takes up so much room, it's not feasible to take many. The amount of work put in will be evident though. It may be a month or more before I have it finished...

moirafae likes this.
  19. 31415926535897

In-Game Name:
    Woah! This think took a long time for me to find! Its very hidden I should say

20. TheCrazyJoel

TheCrazyJoel

• Gold
    In-Game Name:
    FromTheNewWorld
    This is very nice landscaping. Good job. -thinks to self if I was a landscaper I would be inspired to make something as cool as that!-