1. Play on the ImDeity Minecraft Multiplayer server -- Goto the "Multiplayer" section of Minecraft and type "mc.imdeity.com" to join!
    Dismiss Notice

Great Construction Submission by: Micklen

Discussion in 'Great Constructions' started by Micklen, August 19, 2012.

1. Micklen

Micklen

• Sponsor
    In-Game Name:
    Micklen
    IGN: Micklen.
    Structure: Sky Garden Park
    Texture: Default
    Coordinates: X: -535 Z: -2105
    Story: Shortly after joining this server, I joined Caldera and was impressed by the town design and set up. I expanded my house to an adjacent plot and was looking for a larger space to do more expanding. The only thing I did not like about my location in the town was the two High-rise apartments that were half-finished across the street from me. One day I saw a posting that the owner of one of the high-rises was moving to a different town. After a bit of dealing I procured his and began the deconstruction. When the owner of the other high-rise saw what I was doing, he offered to sell me his plot as well. The two high-rises were down that day and my view was improved. But not perfected..... Then I had the idea for a bit of landscaping. After a few days of throwing dirt, stone, and wood together, I had built Sky Garden Park! Starting at Y:70 there is a nice walkway around clear pools that are constantly filled by cascading falls. Looking up, you see 6 garden islands and 2 sub-islands. Each island has it's own layout containing pools, chairs, and flora. Each a tranquil spot for hanging out with friends. Lifts are set up to take you to the lower 3 islands. For the brave, a spiral staircase rises from island 3 all the way to island 6!

New pictures added to bottom.

Hard to capture the entire view! Come and visit Caldera and the Sky Garden Park! Maybe set up a plot of your own :)

BarryX15 and DunkMastaZ like this.
  2. Lord_Aquarius

Lord_Aquarius

In-Game Name:
    Lord_Aquarius
    Nice to see more players are doing this :)

I'll recommend individual screenshots of each level to show each one better. From what I can see, slot of water cascading down, fences, stone brick, and half-blocks. And then there's the landscaping. I wish that you could make it a bit more hilly, or beautiful with some more grass and flowers? Maybe you could make it look like an actual Minecraft floating island and make each island with stone, rather than stone brick?

Just some constructive criticism and suggestions. There's been a debate (kinda) about whether terraforming to pretty builds counts as a great construction. I think this might, or might not cross the line. After making a few improvements, and perhaps a bit taller (I like tall things xD) it could make it.

-Aqua

3. squeezal

squeezal

• Diamond
    In-Game Name:
    squeezal
    Very nice. I think I'm the one who started the Great Landscaping Debate. It's nice to see people continuing it while I work on my current projects. I've built 6 or 7 floating islands at max height around Caldera. One thing I noticed is that they don't look very impressive from below when made from only one material. I've done some research into that and found colored patterns, or patterns of glass, hold some promise. Things protruding off of the islands also makes people wonder what is up there and want to check it out. I've never made anything float within sight of the ground, maybe you could play with the view fade to make it look more mystical? Or try to use the darkness of the swamp biome to your advantage? Great work though! I love all the new Great Construction submissions from Caldera. Keep them coming!

jumbo33 likes this.
  4. DunkMastaZ

DunkMastaZ

In-Game Name:
    Mr_Jeans
    Great build! id love to come visit;)

5. unknown303

unknown303

In-Game Name:
    unknown303
    This is amazing:D I wish I could build that good :p But to be honest I can't stop thinking about that build. I'll have to come visit come time.:)

6. Dekendo

Dekendo

It is hard to capture just how cool this is in pictures. Just toured it myself and it is worth looking for yourself.

7. joshbmxstar28

joshbmxstar28

In-Game Name:
    joshbmxstar28
    Thats pretty awesome! :)

8. Micklen

Micklen

• Sponsor
    In-Game Name:
    Micklen
    Thank you for the comments, I am working on a top island and going down as well. Once it is complete I am going to repost with new pics.

9. totalmoobs

totalmoobs

• Gold
    In-Game Name:
    totalmoobs
    I was walking in caldera and cam across this, its amazing to look at and makes my house look like dirt XD

10. RLindsey2

RLindsey2

• Sponsor
    The only Problem I have with it is my own fault of trying to ride the waterfalls down and either drowning or falling to my death. LOL

11. prwraith

prwraith

• Gold
    In-Game Name:
    prwraith
    Asymmetric design, always a + :) Nice Work

12. LadyObsidian

LadyObsidian

Wow such an amazing build! Was there an inspiration for it being floating? (Sorry if it was said, I miss quite a few things ._. ) Nevertheless it's absolutely beautiful!

13. sommera99

sommera99

• Gold
    In-Game Name:
    sommera99
    the pictures from what i saw was that all the gardens looked all the same to me and what you could've done that you could make them diffrent and with a new theme every floor

14. Micklen

Micklen

• Sponsor
    In-Game Name:
    Micklen
    As we are about to reset the map, I would like to post the final build of the Caldera Sky Island Park for further consideration as a Great Construction. I expanded the park to cover 4 city plots (arranged in a cube). With a city street passing thru the middle, I added and expanded islands. I added secret passes, dangerous bridges, a giant clam, and the pit; complete with two 30x30 murals of my crest and the dangerous Creeper! The park expands from y coordinates 2 to 255. A breath taking view for those who do not succumb to vertigo. If you have a chance before the reset, stop by and see it. Or check it our on the live map!

15. Micklen

Micklen

• Sponsor
    In-Game Name:
    Micklen
  16. IDSales

IDSales

Nice Park wish I could check it out! :(