1. Play on the ImDeity Minecraft Multiplayer server -- Goto the "Multiplayer" section of Minecraft and type "mc.imdeity.com" to join!
    Dismiss Notice

Feed The Beast (FTB): Magic Farm 2 - Tutorials, Tips & Tricks

Discussion in 'FTB General Discussion' started by Sephronia, April 7, 2014.

1. Vershye

Vershye

• Senior Moderator
    • Diamond
    In-Game Name:
    Vershye
    It's kinda the core item that you need to do anything with Thaumcraft. So just search for a Thaumcraft 4 wiki and you'll be set.

Trekar_Sil likes this.
  2. super_soup

super_soup

In-Game Name:
    super_soup
    I see. Thanks for that. Should help :)

3. RLindsey2

RLindsey2

• Sponsor
    My little helpfull hint is about redstone. I have found that darkwood and other new wood blocks will not convey redstone signals through and will actually mess it up sometimes.

4. RLindsey2

RLindsey2

• Sponsor
    So here's the obvious thing I'm going to say, "Why not make a golem to pick up your apples and place them in a better barrel for you?" lol

5. Majora_Unmasked

Majora_Unmasked

• Gold
    In-Game Name:
    aCrowLookedAtMe
    I'd be surprised if one had golems from the outset. :p

6. Tallpines

Tallpines

• Sponsor
    In-Game Name:
    Tallpines
    So, about how long does it take to make a basic Thuamcraft item?

7. Majora_Unmasked

Majora_Unmasked

• Gold
    In-Game Name:
    aCrowLookedAtMe
    Not long provided you have the research, resources, and vis..... yea sometimes it takes a while lol

8. Tallpines

Tallpines

• Sponsor
    In-Game Name:
    Tallpines
    About how long?

9. Majora_Unmasked

Majora_Unmasked

• Gold
    In-Game Name:
    aCrowLookedAtMe
    Depends how long it takes you to make those things.
    Resources, obviously collecting but also lower-level thaum crafting.
    Vis, you can find it easily, though sometimes it may take a while.
    Research just depends how easily you can connect the dots.

10. Micklen

Micklen

• Sponsor
    In-Game Name:
    Micklen
    Just a little thing I figured out recently. Due to a glitch (not going into too much detail as I don't want everyone trying it out.) allowing players to pop up through multiple layers of blocks (warded or not), I did some experimenting and found a defense for it. Either you can ward your house all the way down to Bedrock. Or set up a room below your house to catch the potential griefer in. A warded room at least 2 blocks high will allow the would-be troublemaker to pop up into it. Line that room with warded torches at head height. (hint: For torches in the center of the room, place a block, place the torch on it, ward the torch, and remove the block.) This will create a room the problem child can pop in to, but then cannot leave. Because the warded torches act as a blocker for their point of view and they can not click or place anything! Kinda like a force field. And looks like one too! See...
    [​IMG]
    Now you can do this and be protected. Or you can cover the floor with something, like lava.... My areas are protected by the torches at a minimum. I don't advise people to see if they are "warm to the touch" ;)

EDIT: This works with any block players can move through and you can ward. Another trap room I developed uses warded water in the void space. When a player enters warded water, he/she can still breath (due to the properties of warded blocks not interacting with other blocks.) The water completely surrounds the player's point of view and they cannot interact with other blocks. As it is still water, the player can still swim around in it.

Last edited: August 15, 2014
  11. sparten_1117

sparten_1117

In-Game Name:
    spartan_1117
    A tip for thaumcraft is for one, get 2 iron ingots to make them into nuggets and make two iron caps and get a stick (any stick besides natura sticks) and make your self a wand. then get a book shelf and right click it with a wand and you should get the thauminomicon. after that get your self 3 (thaumcraft) tables and use one of them to make an arcane workbench (left click with wand) for basic recipe making. use the other two tables with a scribing tool ( see NEI for recipe ) and add the tool to the twp tables side by side and you get a research table. (I'd usually recommend two tools because one for the table and one for your invo.) to start making researches just have paper and the second tool and go to the thauminomicon, and click a Flashing icon ( not sure what i should call those things.) Before doing too to much research i suggest making (or "creating" ) all the aspects (52 of them) because it helps with research A LOT. This should start you up on any thaumcraft things for the basic levels.

minibirde likes this.
  12. Majora_Unmasked

Majora_Unmasked

• Gold
    In-Game Name:
    aCrowLookedAtMe
    Tip: If you don't have too many resources, don't get into Applied Energistics until you do. Its crafting is pricy

13. super_soup

super_soup

In-Game Name:
    super_soup
    In addition to Spartens post, I would suggest researching the research is might and research is power notes. They are very helpful and well worth it.

14. Micklen

Micklen

• Sponsor
    In-Game Name:
    Micklen
    Another trial and error lesson learned:
    Twice now I have experienced glitches that cost me my entire inventory. Both times the server, as a whole, was experiencing faults causing it to temporarily restart and pushing everyone to FTB2.
    The first time this occurred, a few weeks ago, I had an idea it was something I was doing. However I had not been able to repeat the fault to confirm it. Last night I got confirmation!
    Both times this occurred, I had a large amount of RF items on me (both times I was moving/rearranging my house.) I do not have an approximate account for the number on items for the first occurrence; other than at least 8 reinforced strongboxes full of items. The most recent occurrence; I had the following on me: over 200 Magmatic Dynamos, over 120 Redstone Energy Conduits, over 120 Fluidducts, two Tesseracts, and my normal gear (armor & tools).
    This proved to be the tipping point and caused severe lag to momentarily reset the server, pushing all players to FTB2. I tried swapping back to FTB1, only to get kicked back to FTB2. Thinking it was a server issue at first, I tried restarting the FTB servers. No luck. Thankfully Deity was around and was able to watch the server as I tried to move back to it. Once he had the server up, other players moved to it successfully. However, as soon as I moved to it, ::BAM:: kicked and restart again. Deity then wiped my inventory and I was able to log back in successfully. This is proof that too much junk in your inventory can cause whole server issues.

My advice is to limit the materials you try to move at one time. Further trial and error could test the limits, but I think I'll stay with the safe route for now.

A side note on this, this seems to also include placed items as well. If your house is full of equipment, you will experience some lag. Try spreading your items/machinary around a larger base. Or, if possible, different ages. This will mean more areas to protect and more time moving between "work rooms". If the net effect is no loss of your hard earned items then it is worth the effort.

minibirde, Sephronia and Trekar_Sil like this.
  15. squeezal

squeezal

• Diamond
    In-Game Name:
    squeezal
    Thaumcraft warded jars make a noise when you walk over them. If you cover them with carpet, they still make the glass/jar noise instead of the carpet noise. In other words- musical roads and floors :)

minibirde and Majora_Unmasked like this.
  16. minibirde

minibirde

• Sponsor
    In-Game Name:
    minibirde
    Here's a fun thing.

Using the tinkers workbench tool system create 2 stencils from 8 sticks for a chisel and a handle on the stencil station. The regular sized handle. Then take a piece of flint and a stick to the part builder and create those 2 parts...the stick for the handle and the flint for the chisel. You can also use netherack if thats more handy for you. Then go to the part builder and after selecting the chisel on the left put the 2 parts in and make the chisel.

Take an ingot of iron and the chisel then place them on your crafting spot on your inventory location or a crafting table. Voila! Placable iron ingots! They are less expensive and look even better than blocks. The chisel is repairable as well. Toss any chisels that duplicate into a trash recepticle so you dont have any issues with that.

Hallideadly likes this.
  17. Hallideadly

Hallideadly

• Sponsor
    In-Game Name:
    Hallideadly
    with the Me computer system and it's crafting station with connecting storage. You can search for an item to make, then shift click on the (?) for the item you want to craft and the ME system will automatically fill the crafting table with the required parts from your storage to make the item, (if you have the items in storage). All we need do then is take the completed item.

I believe this also works with the Tinkers construct crafting table and an adjoining chest, so long as all the required materials are in the chest to make the item

*note - The system pulls items from the Me Drive,(holds all the storage nodes), and not from any adjoining ME chests connected to the Me system. Even though those chests require a storage node to activate the chest, the Me system does not use any of the chests contents when filling the crafting table grid automatically, only pulls from the Me Drive component

Please correct me if you find my facts are not completely accurate,.

Last edited: October 13, 2014
  18. RLindsey2

RLindsey2

• Sponsor
    Don't forget you have to place the recipe in the ME crafting station then using a blank storage disc, you store the pattern on the disc then place the newly created item recipe storage disc into the ME storage unit. Then the item will be available for construction as long as the needed materials are present. The real beauty of this is that you can make lesser complex items and store them and then use them to make more complex items and the system will do it automatically. For example to make a crystal chest you first got to make a wooden, an iron, a gold, and a diamond chest in that order. Now hand crafting these take time. But, if you store all the patterns in the ME storage you can craft one with just a few clicks and the basic resources in the system.

Last edited: October 14, 2014