1. Play on the ImDeity Minecraft Multiplayer server -- Goto the "Multiplayer" section of Minecraft and type "mc.imdeity.com" to join!
    Dismiss Notice

Events Re-Invented | New, Shining, Shimmering and Splendid

Discussion in 'Suggestions / Ideas' started by Jackyoung999, April 6, 2014.

?

Events Re-Invented

1. YES

34 vote(s)
    69.4%
  2. NO

15 vote(s)
    30.6%
  1. Jackyoung999

Jackyoung999

In-Game Name:
    SirHandsomeJack
    It has come to my intention that most residents that are recruited to towns just go inactive. Whether they're bored or this server is not right for them, there is only so much a town can offer them compared to what the server can offer us. You may disagree and blame towns for not keeping their residents anti-bored, but it is hard to juggle building the town and keeping every individual resident happy on top of real life stuff too! Towns are just losing money on taxes! It's almost like we have to vote for inactive residents to keep up with the taxes *Wink Wink*

Anyway, lets get to the point of this thread, most successful servers to-date are mini-game servers, AND I AM NOT SAYING THIS SERVER IS NOT SUCCESSFUL, this server is fantastic for running for 3 years! But lets continue improving and making it better for the upcoming 4th year! I am not going to advertise these mini-game servers but you may have heard of them before.

This server is lacking in 24/7 events. War runs hourly, pvp and spleef is weekly, but what can we really do in-between for all of the events-crazy people like myself? We could type /events and spawn in the center of awesome with a compass that can teleport us to various games upon right clicking. Bring back the Hunger games! Add in more mini-games such as walls, super smash bros, paintball! Make the pvp arenas 24/7 and spleef too for us to practice for the tournaments! FANTASTIC! This does not mean to say you have to code every mini-game, you can just get temporary ones from bukkit and code in your own time. Does not have to be perfect at the start!

This server has a great community, lets expand it further! I assure we have some fantastic builders to volunteer to build a lobby and taco to sit behind his computer coding it all and breaking it at the same time! #BlameTaco

What is the point of this?
    • Increase popularity
    • Residents can have something to do after they finish building their house! (Hooray!)
    • More Votey Votey Server
    • Big Moneys for ImDeity (Too much donations left, right and all over the place)
    What needs to be done?
    • New server for events (no more creative and events in the same server, or war in pvp server)
    • Events Lobby and sub-lobbies to be built
    • New tournament arena layout (keeping arenas, changing layout)
    • Much Taco, Much code, Such ImDeity
    • Say YES
    What do you think?

Last edited by a moderator: April 7, 2014
  2. gpekic

gpekic

• Vip
    In-Game Name:
    gpekic
    Yus <3

heinz_gruber and Jackyoung999 like this.
  3. Mojinax

Mojinax

• VIP
    In-Game Name:
    Mojinax
    I voted no.

Events are such a small and trending part of ImDeity. Hunger games was fun and people wanted it - until 3 months later. Same thing with war. These are merely fads, and will die out months after they are made. Fact is - when the minigame dies out, and a new person goes to play it for the first time and sees 2 other people playing that minigame, it's not exactly going to lead to player retention. We can't compete with the big minigame servers that specialize in one single minigame. Their player retention and player loss is at equilibrium at the very least.

Now if we had nothing else to do, I'd say maybe spend time on coding everything up for this, but we do have other things to do. As I don't play main very often anymore, I'm not too aware of these, but one that has frequently come up is Kingdoms 2. And I'm sure there's others. We're a towny server above all, advertising PvP, Creative, Events, and FTB subservers.

P.S. You can set up your own little minigame areas in town. Kadatheron did it.

totalmoobs and BarryX15 like this.
  4. BarryX15

BarryX15

• Sponsor
    In-Game Name:
    BarryX15
    I voted no, longer reply will follow later when i have time.

heinz_gruber likes this.
  5. Dragonslayer314

Dragonslayer314

In-Game Name:
    Dragonslayer314
    Nope. Same reason I always say.
    What ImDeity is:
    • A server that runs on its community
    • A towns/economy server with ties to a creative server
    • A factions server
    • A server with a modpack server as a reward to those who have played on the aforementioned servers for a significant amount of time.
    What ImDeity is NOT:
    • A modpack server
    • A minigames server
    It's not ImDeity's job to keep you occupied with your boredom - find something to do in your town, go mining, do something. Above all, though, DON'T ask Deity to solve your boredom. ImDeity is not a minigames server, and it has a right to (and it should) keep it that way. And yes, this is coming from someone who is quasi-inactive and doesn't come online all that often excluding for events.

Hallideadly and BarryX15 like this.
  6. Typodestoyer

Typodestoyer

In-Game Name:
    Typodestoyer
    I say no, but there is a point to be made here.
    Why I disagree:
    You say,
    This is why I say no. I simply do not see the point of working towards a goal that any server can accomplish with relative ease. If we got some people who came just to play our walls, super smash bros, and paintball, I don't think that they'd feel a need to donate or even vote, when the perks are mostly for main. Even if they did, it isn't worth it when that isn't the purpose of the server. I agree with Moji- there are other more pressing issues that will improve the server.
    Why you have a point:
    I do think that this server is lacking somewhat in the events area. I, for one, would love an easy way for players to organize their own events. First of all, /go pvp needs a revamp. There should be a way in which you can challenge another player to a 1v1, or even an automated way like /go spleef (that runs taking account for people in war). Also, /go spleef would be great to have again. But minigames? It's not really a problem to go to a different server.

BarryX15 likes this.
  7. Jackyoung999

Jackyoung999

In-Game Name:
    SirHandsomeJack
    That is a good point there Mojinax. But as I said, does not have to be perfect at the start. Maybe mini-games is a bit too much, but taking into account what Typo said:

We can just focus on what we already have, mini-games was just a suggestion, we do not have to do that if the majority is not into that idea! Some sort of 24/7 would be good to have though.

I was also thinking of this as I was writing it actually :p Good point made here Dragon, ImDeity is known for it's towny and community, maybe changing ImDeity identity is not a good idea.

Good point again, it is not someone else's job to make someone entertained. But it is not MY boredom I was talking about, it is the residents (but that does not change the point you made). Like I said; it is hard to juggle building the town and keeping every individual resident happy on top of in real life stuff too! You can only go so far to tell someone to mine or improve their house etc before they start going inactive.

Maybe there should be better tools for Kingdoms, for example: spleef
    I made a spleef arena in a plot with the walls being on the other plots. I type a command /t arena spleef1 (on the snow plot)
    This makes it so that if I break the snow, no snowballs drop and when I type /t reset spleef1 it resets the snow and the next contestants can go in.

Just a suggestion, what do you think?

Thank you all for your opinions and contributions!

8. BarryX15

BarryX15

• Sponsor
    In-Game Name:
    BarryX15
    Okay, now the longer post....

First of all, if you cannot afford to pay town taxes, you have to find way how to make your town smaller and more efficient. The rest is almost not worth replying, i will just remind Step 4 in one of my older posts - http://imdeity.com/threads/helping-the-noobs-project-involvement.16754/#post-201753 - when your residents are online, you have to play with them, the rest of your online time is yours, spend it the way you want.

Suggesting more events and minigames to keep people active is wrong, it will just make us one of many other minigame servers. There are very few town based survival servers and even less of those with community comparable to ImDeity. Also, minigames need too much effort from few designers and coders and they offer just "play and shutup" option to regular players which is nothing that creative community (that we still have!) would like for long time.
    I never entered weekly PvP or Spleef Event but i see them as tradition, being held in the same time for almost 3 years. Something that immediately comes to my mind when i recall what ImDeity is about. These events offer 1v1 matches where you can get good, bad afk or none opponent, however they do not offer the chance to challenge a specific person.
    The biggest problem of such tournaments is that majority of players must wait for minutes until their time comes, then they play for few seconds and they have to wait again. The same, happened to DeitySpleef and DeityGames - when there were too few players online the game didnt start at all, when there were too many players they ended up waiting for too long time for their match to come or they didnt get moved in.
    So far, i see DeityWar being the best of all minigames we had, bringing fun to many people at once. Having 20 to 40 minutes timeouts between war starts is just enough to chill a bit before next one. But we dont have amount of people to fill another minigame running simultaneously and altering two different minigames every hour would just make waiting too long for someone who wants to play just one of those. Filling server with people means more money spent on advertising, more newbies coming, more griefed wilderness...

Blaming developers will leave you with no developers so i hope this was a joke.

[​IMG]

Okay, some constructive stuff...

YES. If we want to add some minigame, then PvP and Spleef challenges. I support this, and i would even add some way to bet on players or to challenge for dei.

But regardless of new ideas, we should focus on tweaking and improving things we already have.

9. Driver_X

Driver_X

In-Game Name:
    Driver_X
    First, sorry again for my long posts, I am working on that xD (Even more now that I see I posted right after Barry)

The whole 'boredom' situation is something way too complex to be solved with one suggestion, two, three or even changing the direction of the entire server, boredom is not measurable or trackable, it can come from the most unexpected places at any time. Boredom comes from within, each individual will have things that do not interest him and others that will keep him participating actively.

Now closer to the /spleef1 suggestion, take my old town Kadatheron, where I was mayor. I had as main objective to make it an entertaining town, as I figured the most demanded 'resource' at the moment was entertainment (boredom-killers) so I planned everything in my head on how to make it different from other towns, to make it seem exciting and innovative. Kadatheron had stuff for all tastes (I guessed so): The Academy for builders and free stuff for craftsman, a museum with Minecraft trivia/curious stuff and oportunities for builders to show off, and a small mini-games block working 24/7 (with the all "new" connect-four I had not seen anywhere else on server), also where Gawkan hosts spleef events every Monday non-stop. Sounds like a boredom free town full of happy people but it is not like that.
    My first resident left town when a mayor from other town offered him 2 plots (against one he had), other left because he was a 'mini-game servers guy', another because he wanted assistantship and so on... For Gawkan's weekly spleef events (despite the idea of how hard players need more entertainment oportunities) has a record of 10 players on a single event, the usual player count is 4-5, sometimes Gawkan has to play or even (ignoring all the technical issues) myself, just so we have at least 4 players to start the battles, and no, Gawkan holds everyone for a few minutes while calls more people in /ot to join, the problem is not lack of advertising, it is lack of interest. I can go further and ask people from Caldera to add the numbers of The Horses Racetrack (which is barely used anymore), Doha's old pvp arena and the build-offs held by any town, the numbers are, most of the time, very very small.

Mini-games may keep a few interested, Typodestoyer, Dragonslayer and SonnyBassPlayer come to Gawkan's spleef every week, Minibirde and I used to participate every event RickyBobby hosted at Caldera's racetrack; but it is clear to me that making it easier for towns to make new spleef, pvp, parkour or whatever arenas is not going to help, we even do have a plugin for horse racetracks made by Btarb which was never used, as far as I know. I believe the effect would be inverse, it would dissolve the public of the few persistent players that, at no-profit, use their time and resources to make enjoyable events for everyone who is interested. Their hard-work would be run over by easy /command event hosts and those mini-games would soon be boring again.

My general idea is: Making games creation easier does not guarantee these will be made and to increase the mini-game 'supply' would, in no-way, increase players interest for them.

What I learned from my town is that different people have different interests: Some play for competition, others for fun; Some to be popular, others to be powerful; Some to have money, other to have recognition; Some seek challenges, others seek comfort... It is not possible to get everyone's different interests and put it in a simple recipe, nor it is possible to make a new plugin so it is easier to reach a specific public that like this or that thing.
    The solution for massive boredom I don't know but (maybe the only thing I had on my mind when I made my town and that hasn't changed since then is that) the first town to find it will be the best town ever.

10. scoutdog75

scoutdog75

• Diamond
    In-Game Name:
    scoutdog75
    After reading the very long posts above, especially Driver's, I feel the issue at hand is not really to improve the server but is to fufill one's boredom. The beauty of the server is that towns are individual for the most part and can do what they want in them. After talking with some mayors and that special guy Yogs, the idea of incorporating Kingdoms into events could be interesting. Kingdom war, spleef, etc to get each Kingdom / Town points which could lead up to some sort of reward. Players want to be special, so let them be special by playing these events on the side. Use incentives such as these events to get people to play on main more. Some sort of integration between events such as war, pvp, and spleef and town could be good. I'm not referring to winning money but maybe getting some sort of award / badge to make players feel special and like the belong.

When I first joined the server, I just wanted to do something and have my name on it. I looked straight at Great Constructions because it gave me something to do and feel special about. Events are always fun and now all we need is some way to give meaning to these events. I play war all the time but there is no reward for my time there besides my name on the first page on Top Kills. Specifically to war: Weekly / Monthly awards for best Kdr, most kills, etc are all considered "incentives". A nice little badge would suffice in giving a player a sense of achievement on the server and keep them coming back.

11. KiddieWish

KiddieWish

In-Game Name:
    KiddieWish
    I like the idea and voted "YES" on the poll.

Reasoning
    With the Survival server and the way the game was intended to be played by Mojang, there's only so much you can do with customizing the Survival server any further. ImDeity basically did a lot of great things with what Mojang made and made it to the experience you see today with player shops, towns/kingdoms, portal auctions, a class system, etc. Like surviving in single player, it really is up to the player to control how they play the game and the way to go about doing that. Thus, unlike a few years ago where Minestatus and other big server lists were just full of vanilla survival servers, servers and players of the likes began experimenting to see how they could further evolve the gameplay for players as you can only do so much with vanilla Minecraft and we have the many varieties of other servers today.

I believe the constraint that is being brought upon by the notion of this server being primarily a survival server with other servers being tied to it is now hurting more than helping as we could possibly expand the community further by expanding our horizons and options with different variety of players. Having a Games server won't guarantee popularity increase, players being more interested in the server, more exposure to players around the world, or bring in money so we can expand and improve the server even more, but what it will bring is a brand new experience for players of now and later, bring in several different aspects this server hasn't touched, possibly benefit the community as players will be given more opportunity to contribute (e.g player made maps), the forums will have more topics to discuss, and it'll be a new branding for ImDeity Kingdoms. By new brand, I mean that if we do run a Games server it should be original made ideas for Games and not games you can find on other servers currently so we don't have to compete with servers that primarily are Games servers and so we can spark interest to players that want something new to do in Minecraft in general. Having a Games server would require maintenance but there is much upside to it.

Concerns
    Events are a small part of ImDeity as they aren't embraced as they once were. With the right promotion and player pool, Events could possibly be the most popular thing on ImDeity.

DeityGames died out as it was only a few maps, there wasn't much variety to it (people knew basically where all the chests were), and it was basically the same thing over and over. War is basically the same as DeityGames as in status as of now. If Events come out with updates every now and then to spark the interest of players, I'm sure there would be more than enough participation to keep these events active and possibly a need for more servers for these events over time.

Having original games will kill the need to have to compete with big servers that primarily host games. Players will see we have something new to offer them and they'll be interested in what we have to offer if it's promoted correctly (E.G. Youtube videos, Twitch streams, etc.)

The reasoning to why you say no could easily be countered with the fact that the Games server could have it's own donation perks/classes/ranks and voting for the server on Minestatus would give them money (or items or so for games) on main and Games. It would be worth it as bringing in more donations for the server in general means we can have a better server, more servers for Games if needed, and we could possibly experiment with other things to see what could benefit our server in the long run.

I know this isn't really needed and there may be more pressing issues, I'm not disregarding that, but what I'm saying is that the server needs something that brings some more 'life' to it again and experimenting doesn't exactly hurt anyone or anything.

I agree with you concerning PvP. I have some ideas for that but I'll leave that to another time.

If any of you disagree with anything I said, feel free to address it.

12. heinz_gruber

heinz_gruber

• Sponsor
    In-Game Name:
    heinz_gruber

I agree with this, I would also say from my own personal experience, i always had to go to another server to play survival games, because i never actually got a chance to play them on this server due to them being so short lived, and i was burried in town work at the time.

However the server i began using for survival games was one of the most popular survival games servers i have seen, it had like 80 or more maps, the spawn was as jack describes an awesome little hub (i envision something akin to barrys new hub idea he showed me) but it was a small hub designed to streamline players to where they wanted to be.

So the server had a small hub, when you spawn in survival games lobby, it was just a small cylinder shaped room, with a spiral staircase with floor upon floor upon floor xD of awesome awesome arenas accessed via click signs. I have yet to find a server quite as impressive in terms of the maps it had to offer and again have not found one as popular as said one was.
    I will also add that the aforementioned server is shut down now, And that was not due to a lack of popularity. There could be a window of opportunity to get a good Sg Server on the go, and with our current community helping to promote it, we could find ourselves onto a winner.

I found myself wishing that we had this system (not to eliminate boredom) but just to add variety, so that all our groups of friends could have some really entertaining survival games in house without having to leave the Imdeity server to go play them Personally i would find the odd survival game a refreshing way to relax and have fun on the server with friends, as well as what Kiddie says about the community created maps etc

Survival games has always been my favorite minigame, but my favorite server does not host them sadly. wink wink

Personally speaking, i find minigames like survival games and smash bros, to be far more entertaining than i find pvp or ftb, I have no interest in /hub world because everything gets griefed and i get killed by players that call themselves my friend, then troll me by blowing up my house with tnt 20 seconds after i build it. PS Legoap thanks for ruining hub for me.

That leaves just creative and main for me. And i only used creative to rank up a craftsmen, after that..... it was bye the bye.

So for me i seem to be more limited to the main world in terms of what i find really enjoyable to play. And once a week i get ruined in spleef and then again in pvp, (with more regular events i could even improve my skill) , I always look forward to the server wars, however the last ones have been full of spawn camping and it that ruins it for me by eliminating any fun factor.

I never liked pvp because too many children throw toys out the pram when they get powned ( i am no exception to this) and as i am horrible at pvp i find i cannot get invested in a factions server. The difference between pvp/factions vs survival games, is that with the survival games everyone starts with nothing, and its a question of how lucky you can be in the chests which determine your fate. So even someone who is horrible at pvp can find themselves with good gear and lots of food, could go on to win and get a taste of glory. xD

I find the attitudes of players on factions and ftb to be far too corrosive and harsh for my taste, same as when i was walking through FTB i met some players, and i was greeted with hostility due to the paranoid nature of players who are too protective of what they have.

Needless to say i dont have any intentions of going back there, its not my cuppa tea.

But i find minigames is much less like this, due to the fact that each game is only short, and nothing gets invested that will not be easilly replaced during the next game or whatever.

But above all, i would probably end up playing Sg every day and night, with constant streams, if we had a spectator function added to the mix, then we can compete, then if we die, we can spectate the winner, turning the server into a living breathing Sg Broadcasting machine which would also bring in players from twitch when they see us having so much fun xD

I know other towns can host events like spleef or pvp, but its not to the same standard, the fact that it is announced by players and not the admin also means i tend to ignore messages from people who talk 98% rubbish, while the other 2 percent is advertising their own town/event.

I also have my own suggestion for a minigame, its called Flog the guy who says the words "The map will reset soon anyway Heinz"

So i vote yes.

Last edited: April 7, 2014
    lukecraft01, iSquared, gpekic and 4 others like this.
  13. MochaBean

MochaBean

• Vip
    In-Game Name:
    MochaBean
    [​IMG]

14. heinz_gruber

heinz_gruber

• Sponsor
    In-Game Name:
    heinz_gruber
    Another Edit after looking deeper into Barry's longer response. xD

We all know too well what towns cannot afford to pay taxes, they have been deleted, and that will continue to happen.
    What i dont see is lots of new towns cropping up and being successful , some may be somewhat successful however they have zero chance to compete with the likes of Doha, #blame doha jokes.

But all jokes aside, dont you think people get bored of pvp?(i do, it is so 1 dimensional) we have pvp server, ftb is also pvp and so is hub, faction servers are 2 a penny these days, However you did say one thing that really sparked my interest, playing for a wager!
    It would be very interesting for people to challenge players to a game where if they excel they could make tons of money.

But I would like to go one step further. We have towns, so each town could have a tribute randomly selected to compete in a survival game.
    Other players from that town could sponsor a tribute with Dei to get them extra items like a golden apple, or some more arrows or whatever.
    All the money that gets paid to sponsor a tribute, goes into a pot, and the last man standing takes home the prize.

Already i see an issue with the whole. 1 tribute per town idea, all of Dohas residents could not compete at the same time. nor would each member be guaranteed a spot in the games as tributes would be randomly selected. But i see this as a double edged sword, Possibly people would split off into smaller towns to give them a higher chance of being selected to compete, which in turn would see them spending more Dei and fueling the economy in my eyes.
    But the downside to that is large towns would be discouraged in that regard. However this is just an idea, i hope you all see the potential for a lot of fun.
    I also think that if a survival event were to happen every hour, then it would encourage players to stay online to see if they were the lucky tribute that gets selected for the games.
    The redeeming quality of this is that if a skilled warrior wished to compete in a lot of the events, they would possibly need to own their own town. in order to Raise the odds of them being selected as a tribute. But if they were just residents in a large town like doha, there is a lower chance of them being selected, so this does kind of pave the way for randomly selected opponents and reduce the chance of being beaten by the same faces over and over again.

1 opponent from each town ensures that it should be a more even match, pitting allies from kingdoms against other kingdoms instead of 1 town with a million players who would team and eliminate the enemy first so that their town always wins.

I think that could possibly make for a more even match xD

This would encourage the smaller towns to try hard to win, as the money would really help expand their town.

Let me draw a picture for you, Down the line communities of small towns rely on kingdom chat for social talk, and each active member such as myself might have a town with just 10 people in, with very small number of plots being claimed. low tax, and high chance to compete in SG, however if you were to be the only town member online when a game is about to start, you could be able to compete in many events, but you would have less friends available to sponsor you for a care package.

One more small point is that for community builds., kingdoms made up of small towns can band together to buy a bunch of plots, and have permissions set to kingdom, therefore you could have a bunch of small towns with a capital in its center with all the amenities for the community, it would be kingdom projects. Funded by the kingdom and for the kingdom, as opposed to every single town having a million plots claimed for farms, we could just have a higher number of smaller kingdoms with a higher number of small towns.
    Not only does that encourage people to work together, it also means that small groups can lead themselves with regards to mayor-ship etc.
    I would suggest that the capitals of each kingdom would then be the hubs for the rest of the town and provide food and wood etc, as well as the pvp and spleef arenas made by players for kingdom / server event use.

That gives capitals a reason to be the capital and draw players to it for community builds and co operation.

I am aiming for a utopia xD

xD such ideas much brilliance perhaps. but that is looking at what the server could become with a bit of imagination, But Deity has the server as it is for a reason, and i dont expect him to change the dynamic for me. But if everyone likes the ideas then its clearly the way forward.

Wow this was meant to be a short reply, but my ideas kept flowing, thoughts anyone?

That is just an expansion of your gambling idea, but with survival games mixed in. I hope you like it xD

But as of right now i am looking for a new survival games server that measures up the old one i used to play xD

Intertwining the main server with some survival games certainly sounds interesting to me, and i think some clever people will see how this will encourage both mini-gamers to play the towny, and townies would be encouraged to play the games xD

Dont you see the genius of this plan xD btw i am not that big headed, but if you think its a good idea then let me know plz.

Would like to go on record that in the unlikely event that any of these ideas bear fruits in the future, If Deity is president snow, then i am Caesar Flickerman just saying, and no contest on that.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Btw as soon as horses came out, i yelled out that we need some kind of cavalry combat game, maybe like war, but with horses etc etc.

I havent heard of that being done, so lets look at something unique like that and capitalize on our original ideas xD

Edit,

Just saying, all my friends are here, and it would be nice to be able to play survival games with them without leaving the server.

If our server is awesome enough, some people will vote anyway, but of course you are right there needs to be an incentive, but we are a creative bunch and i am sure that if we really wanted to, we could come up with a great idea on how to encourage people to vote and donate still.

Off the top of my head, we could have a VIP Broadcast games lobby where streamers like myself could be playing, and other players want to be involved in the stream so they are encouraged to donate to get access to the broadcasting lobby xD
    I am sure there would be issues to that too, but i am just spit balling ideas here.

Another idea would be that you can play 3 games per day on the server, but in order to play more times in 1 day you would have to vote for Imdeity.

(Enter ignorance below.xD)
    Just out of curiosity what important pressing issues do we currently have?

As for what you say about some of the other events having a re vamp, just saying we could have it all on a single events/games server or something.

He he nice one mocha. Something along these lines for sure. this should be my signature. mind if i borrow it?

I think the guy doing the whipping, is saying "there is no planned reset in the foreseeable future peasant!" Thwack!

Btw if anyone read the entire post, give yourself a pat on the back, and like this post because its all positive xD

Last edited: April 7, 2014
    BarryX15, asdfjkll, gpekic and 4 others like this.
  15. MochaBean

MochaBean

• Vip
    In-Game Name:
    MochaBean
    Sure. ;)

16. scoutdog75

scoutdog75

• Diamond
    In-Game Name:
    scoutdog75
    Yus please. I think this address the immediate concern of bringing events back onto ImDeity. Like Heinz said, bringing more attention to this such as VIP broadcasting lounge is a very good idea. The only thing I'd like to add is to find the connection between Main and events. If they are separate like Main and Ftb are right now, I would not really be compelled to play both actively. Connecting the two through economy, perks, rewards, etc are all good ways of bringing more attention to the server and I'd be a full supporter of this. Oh and not to mention events are ridiculously fun.

17. Hallideadly

Hallideadly

• Sponsor
    In-Game Name:
    Hallideadly
    When are you knaves gonna finally get your backwards facing mules to the kingdoms grand Jousting Tournament. There's need of a Champion in the land of Deity.

Just need Deity to get us some different styles and powers of Lances, armor tweaks for rider and horse.

18. heinz_gruber

heinz_gruber

• Sponsor
    In-Game Name:
    heinz_gruber
    "new" connect 4? is this somehow different to the connect 4 that i have been using in my town since it started? i just took the connect 4 idea we had in Buenavista 2012.

As i say "what if survival games and towny were connected. so that Imdeity is president snow, and each town has a random tribute selected xD"

I say this again because my other posts were walls of text. But the info is all there.

But make no mistake, I am vying for both, i would love a dedicated Deity owned minigames server, not only to diversify our community more and branch out toward players who dont like investing too much time into townies. But at the same time by linking a "Special Survival games event" Which would give rewards on main, not only i bet that has never been done on a towny server yet, (if it has then waaa) but it may even bridge the gap between gamers and builders, and encourage people to broaden their skill sets a bit more xD

So in short i say yes to a Deity minigames server

"linking a special games event to main"
    But i also think a special game where random townies compete for prizes (just like the districts in the hunger games) and other town members can sponsor etc, could be a really fun for all players and expand our dominion and not just be stagnant as a towny server with other servers and game modes like ftb attached.

Another Edit.......

So i was making a mock lobby in creative world, so this would be how my idea for a games lobby might look, just to give people an idea, (not finished yet) /c tp heinz

Whilst i was in creative it dawned on me that survival games could be built on the 256 x 256
    or larger creative plots. (i dont know the best size for a survival games so i am just speaking hypothetically on the size) and players who want to create a survival games would then have to rank up in creative first in order to have access to a plot large enough to make survival games on.

As war arenas are smaller they could be around the halfway stage, but survival games maps could be at the top tier, and knowing that their map could be used for server minigames would be the motivation for them to rank up in creative world.

So there is a nice idea to add more motivation for players to rank up in creative even if they are not doing it for craftsmen rank increases mmkay xD

Last edited: April 8, 2014
    ngennaro, bran_bash and Jackyoung999 like this.
  19. Driver_X

Driver_X

In-Game Name:
    Driver_X
    I am against the dedicated mini-games server idea because I believe it would be alot of trouble for not that many benefits.

First, if the intention is to attract the massive mini-game fanbase, server would need something different from what is offered out there. That would require new mini-games ideas (what is not as easy as it seems), a whole new plugins and also a large variety of maps (new maps, probably made from scratch and thought so they use/allow full potential of the games). That for each new game made and, if you join any mini-games server, those need many different games to be succesful as most of the mini-game players are not looking for anything special (being the best on that game and etc) but just for a fast and easy boredom-killer.

From the mini-game servers I have seen, all of them gave me the feeling they were not moderated at all:
    Chats were flodded with random junk, from private talks to swearing and advertising, not only on the lobbys but in-game too. Just that part is enough to take down any possibility of interaction or community creation among those players, first thing I do on these servers is hide chat or simply ignore it.
    I have met players with hacked clients (I wouldn't call hacker a kid who googles 'minecraft hack' and download it) that could ruin your game and there was nothing you could do. Once, on a survival games server, there was an invunerable player and several players complained on global chat for the 15 minutes I was there and I'm sure they were still doing so after I left.
    The solution looks simple, recruit dozens of moderators for the server. Problem is, who would be/stay as moderator there? I am a mod here but for sure I would not be a mod on those kinds of places, as you'd have no time at all to join a game and actually enjoy the server.

My point in a few words, making a 24/7 dedicated mini-games server requires 24/7 dedication to it. It is something too big to be a 'satellite' server to /main or just a place where you can go and play a game when bored of everything.

Obs.: I wrote that considering that a huge amount of players would join because, if not, I think most of the arguments in favor of it's creation would go down, or be so diminished that wouldn't be worth a server creation.

I do like the Survival Games ideas though,
    It is rather easy to host, moderate and maintain. Being a single game, I believe it is possible to count on players to create new maps (even though it gives them an edge on them, much more than /go war), we would maintain our current player base (with a possible small increase) so that moderation stays under control and so on.
    What I really like is the idea of connecting the games to towns/kingdoms, rather than individual players, it is definately something new to the server, to the games and would add a lot to towny experience.
    Prize giving for a 24/7 or hourly game is not a good idea as it will create too much money in no time, I'd side with money pots from tribute's cash and sponsoring. Sponsoring should be limited too, or 'a very rich mayor' could expend 20k on their tribute to guarantee he would win and bring his money back (along with others' money, of course). Server has over ~20 towns too, rather than 12 districts :D (trying to exclude inactive ones).

Also, if the discussion focus on Survival Games, I'd suggest a thread revival or a new thread just for it, as this thread's suggestion is more for a mini-games only server.

On the very line you quoted I said: "I had not seen anywhere else on server". I thought it was new heh, now I remember Doha had one too (bulky and not-user friendly... xD) at their 1k residents party. I will visit yours later ;)

20. Tallpines

Tallpines

• Sponsor
    In-Game Name:
    Tallpines
    What about having Players make Deitygames maps like war?

heinz_gruber likes this.