1. Play on the ImDeity Minecraft Multiplayer server -- Goto the "Multiplayer" section of Minecraft and type "mc.imdeity.com" to join!
    Dismiss Notice

Display a standard server time on the server website

Discussion in 'Suggestions / Ideas' started by tOPIV, November 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tOPIV

tOPIV

• Vip
    In-Game Name:
    tOPIV
    Imdeity Kingdoms is an international server that hosts players from all over the world across a wide range of time zones. For this reason, it may be helpful for players if there was a standard server time clearly displayed on the website.

Often, when doing business, minecrafters will decide to meet at a designated time and place. The trouble is, the players often live in different time zones, so there must be clear communication regarding which time zone should be used to determine the meeting time. Even when a time zone is clearly specified, there may be mistakes which arise from converting between time zones. A standard server time displayed on the server website would help to negate potential confusion.

Furthermore, Imdeity Kingdoms hosts server-wide events (such as spleef) at certain times. Again, some players need to convert between time zones. Any mistakes in theses conversions may cause players to miss out on the events. This may not be so much a problem for veteran server members, but it may cause confusion for minecrafters new to the server. If someone very new misses out on a thrilling event, then they will not have experienced the full excitement of Imdeity Kingdoms, and will be that much less likely to return. Having a standard server time may help to reduce the likelihood of this confusion.

It would take comparatively little effort to add a clearly visible, standard clock to the website. The website already keeps track of time in many circumstances, such as when posts are made or when players vote. Only a label and simple programming would be required to make it work.

Minecrafters from all over the world converge to play on the Imdeity Server. However, because many players come from many different time zones, confusion often arises between player meeting times and server event times. It would take only simple programming to add a clearly visible, standardized clock on the server website. Such a clock would be of great convenience to many players who would otherwise have to rely on hand-calculated (or hand-Googled) time zone conversions.

2. SaintThunder

SaintThunder

• Sponsor
    In-Game Name:
    SaintThunder
    Server time is always EST/EDT or GMT -5. That is the time when events and other server related things are held. As for getting a timer on the website, this will be brought up to Deity.

Qazz, asdfjkll, tOPIV and 2 others like this.
  3. evanbananas2000

evanbananas2000

In-Game Name:
    evanbananas2000
    Not a bad idea. :)

4. squeezal

squeezal

• Diamond
    In-Game Name:
    squeezal
    I think the idea is good, but I think the forum often displays times based off of what your computer clock is set to. I know when my time was screwed up, I was seeing post times incorrectly, or I post something at, example, 11:53 pm, then someone from Australia posts soon after that which is marked at 11:56 pm.
    Not a criticism, just hoping to avoid any confusion :)

5. melvin484

melvin484

In-Game Name:
    TwitchyCake
    Very, very good suggestion. One of the best i've seen in a long time. I do agree, although for ME its easy to remember the times and such because usually the events are in the EST time zone.

6. Vershye

Vershye

• Senior Moderator
    • Diamond
    In-Game Name:
    Vershye
    Here we go, found one already made.

http://www.worldtimezone.com/

Good thing someone invented google. There's absolutely no reason to clutter up the website with a world clock when it's easy enough to find times yourself.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.