1. Play on the ImDeity Minecraft Multiplayer server -- Goto the "Multiplayer" section of Minecraft and type "mc.imdeity.com" to join!
    Dismiss Notice

Deletion of towns in debt

Discussion in 'Suggestions / Ideas' started by thecrazyman11, October 2, 2012.

?

Is this a good idea?

1. Yes, it's a great idea crazy

10 vote(s)
    55.6%
  2. No, your crazy crazy

8 vote(s)
    44.4%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thecrazyman11

thecrazyman11

• Vip
    In-Game Name:
    thecrazyman11
    A few months ago people wanted a map reset to clear the map and clear builds long gone. The map is cluttered and a lot of people don't want a reset because they work hard. Now I know there isn't going to be a reset but to make room for new towns and projects, in debt towns can get deleted. Many weeks ago I asked what happened to towns that are in debt, and a mod (Frau I think) replied "they are left to sit" something like that. A idea came in my head. What if a town could get deleted if it's in debt. Let's say 5k in debt and the mods come to delete your town. Yes, you would say they should sell there town but most towns with debt, there mayors are inactive or gone.-thecrazyman11

Smartness likes this.
  2. Pescotti

Pescotti

• Sponsor
    In-Game Name:
    Pescotti
    The deletion of towns takes time to world edit out and only Admins can do it. I believe it is a good idea, but I also believe there are more important things to do at the moment.

3. thecrazyman11

thecrazyman11

• Vip
    In-Game Name:
    thecrazyman11
    Maybe towns in 5k debt are automatically put up for auctions?

4. AntonioBarbarian

AntonioBarbarian

In-Game Name:
    AntonioBarbarian
    Maybe make it 10k or more for deletion?

5. The_Yogs

The_Yogs

• Sponsor
    In-Game Name:
    The_Yogs
    The problem is that the majority of the towns are in deep debt. Therefore, deleting these towns will delete the server. Anyways..the admins have other SERIOUS issues to attend to.

6. Johndahbomb

Johndahbomb

• Sponsor
    In-Game Name:
    Johndahbomb
    People I believe can pay off said debt for control of the town.

Or they can turn the town over to an assistant if the town is still active.

World editing is very easy and a fast task to complete. Admins have plenty to do. So a ghost town is rather low in the list of things to do.

7. thecrazyman11

thecrazyman11

• Vip
    In-Game Name:
    thecrazyman11
    Of course final price can be changed. Yogs, it's not very fair to the towns that pay Thier taxes get the same treatment as towns in debt

Niall4igoe likes this.
  8. mbonachea

mbonachea

• Vip
    In-Game Name:
    mbonachea
    The deletion of all of the in-debt towns would mean more residents for the financially stable ones; the people would leave their deleted town, and join another town.

This could be a great idea, not to mention the excess of towns.

heinz_gruber and xdysfunkx like this.
  9. Lord__Xemnas

Lord__Xemnas

• Gold
    In-Game Name:
    Lord__Xemnas
    I think your intentions are good but I believe there is another way to do this. I agree that 5k is too small of a cut but 10k or somewhere around there should be alright because if they're in that much debt, either the town is inactive or simply not tended to by the mayor/assistants/residents. Sure we can have where it goes to the longest running assistant but who's to say that he/she even wants the town or will be active enough to keep it up?

Town auctions I believe were talked about when the Christmas reset happened and would most likely be a good idea since only an active member can place a bid, ya know?

The last "resort" or possibility could be to have a demolishion team. A group of 5-10-15 ect. players that, with the okay from a Sr. Mod or Admin, go out to the town in too much debt or inactivity and tear it down after a notice has been sent to tell the current redsidents. Yes, I know that could take effort and time and most likely a lot of people wouldn't want to do it but you have those weird people (no offense to the weird people out there :p ) that wouldn't mind doing a tidious task like that. I know I wouldn't mind helping to make room for a new town that could possibly surpass the previous one.

We have people on here that want to help out the server in whatever way possible, this could be a nice start. :)

10. Seedy_Slim

Seedy_Slim

• Sponsor
    In-Game Name:
    Seedy_Slim

Such as? Not being flippant here - I know losing Van is tough, but if you non-speculative info on what are the current priorities, I'd love to hear it.

11. The_Yogs

The_Yogs

• Sponsor
    In-Game Name:
    The_Yogs
    Oh...I'm not going to even start on this. Maybe the number of people on the server can tell the story or the numerous/infamous 1yr anniversary reflections..

12. Vershye

Vershye

• Senior Moderator
    • Diamond
    In-Game Name:
    Vershye
    Are you seriously asking that question? Lets see. The server had 2 developers. ImDeity and vanZeben. van stopped developing about 2 months ago, so what did that leave us? Oh yea, 1 developer. (and before someone whines at me about this, NO, I am not blaming van for anything for his decision.) If van was the head developer, that means he did the brunt of the server developing. That is now all left to ImDeity to do BY HIMSELF.

Oh yea, trivia time. Guess what else happened about 2 months ago? 1.3 released! And destroyed the compatibility of a big amount of our plugins with Minecraft. So, with ImDeity being the only developer now working on the plugins for this server, I am surprised at everyone that are doing nothing but whine and complain and cause more and more drama just because the fail to understand or appreciate all the hard work ImDeity is putting into trying to get this server back up to the glory that we know can achieve.

So the way I see it, everyone can be happy that so much of the server is fixed, considering the circumstances, and stop acting like a child who had their favorite toy break and do nothing but whine because their parent can't fix it fast enough for them.

Basically, if I see any more threads started that have "opinions" bashing other players, or posts that do nothing but complain about the server without anything constructive in helping the server, yes, I will be deleting them and banning the players for a short time out. I couldn't care less if you think it's abuse of powers, because the only thing it would be is the conservation of the peace of the server/forums. I do hold with Socks post, and disagree with the response to it. It is not the attitude of the staff that has driven players away, it's the attitude of the players that has driven themselves away. Long time players cheat/glitch/hack in the server, they get perm banned, they blame the staff because of it. I'm sorry they can't take responsibility for their own actions, but it's definitely not right to blame us because of what they did.

Players are posting their goodbye threads, and half of them are nothing but blaming the server, the staff, ImDeity for why they are leaving, but offering absolutely nothing in ways to help. I'm not sure how much other staff members knew, but I found out about ImDeity being the only developer for the past 2 months when van posted his "582 days" thread. So yes, I was right along side many of the players in wondering why things were taking so long to get fixed and why we didn't have hardly any information regarding the fixes. But did you see me go around making countless useless posts whining and complaining about it? No, I tried to help support the server and put out fires for ImDeity to let him focus on running/fixing the server so he wouldn't have to deal with it. That is why he has a Staff, to be the buffer between the day to day runnings of the server and the important things that he needs to worry about.

If you don't like the answers the staff gives you, or just don't like dealing with the staff, guess what? Tough cookies. That's how this works. ImDeity picks the members for his Staff because he trusts them to run the server and take care of things so he can work on what he needs to without 350 interruptions every day.

I'm sorry for the way this is posted, but I'm just tired of it and finally decided to make my post on the subject. I know there will be those of you that will just quote parts of this in reply's and try to pick it apart, but you know what? I feel sorry for you that you can spend more time trying to belittle people on the forums for the server that you want to be fixed, rather then trying to provide some sort of productive help. If all you can do is whine and make yourself feel better by ridiculing others, then maybe you should find something better to do with your time.

Anyway, it's midnight and I have work in the morning. I look forward to the replies this gets that I can laugh about during my down time tomorrow.

Cathal, Fanasey, lilgrubs and 7 others like this.
  13. orangey123

orangey123

In-Game Name:
    orangey123
    I myself am agreeing with Lord__Xemnas and I will volunteer for tearing down some towns if it will help the server

BUT

I also agree with the other idea were you get auctions for towns but maybe on the auction page there should be a little button that directs you to the Towns that are on sale in auctions and I think with a town you should get at least a week or two up in the auction page instead of 24 hours

14. BarryX15

BarryX15

• Sponsor
    In-Game Name:
    BarryX15
    Remember that our map is made by Minecraft 1.0 map generator. Landscape generator changes in 1.2 (Jungles) and 1.3 (Large Biomes option + some tweaks). That means, regenerating land will make chunks that do not fit into current map.

See former OceanSide, which was deleted two or three months ago:
    http://imdeity.com/map/#/3201/64/3494/-3/0/0

So map will not be cluttered by ghost towns, it will be cluttered by chunks that do not fit. Is there any difference?

We do not have town auctions, but we do have some people with enough money to pay out town debt. IF someone has REAL interest in one of failed towns, he can ask moderators to tell ImDeity about it.

Edit: I would love to have a reset to let us start on fresh map, but only when plugins are fixed and ready.

lilgrubs and Lord__Xemnas like this.
  15. Gawkan

Gawkan

• Vip
    In-Game Name:
    Gawkan

Just thought I say my opinion (not arguing) Yes the map is filled up by towns and towns but is reset really a good idea. When the january reset happened quite a couple of people left the server since they were annoyed and if we have reset were just going get tons of towns eventually again which may go into ghost towns and have maybe more people leave again since there another reset and they losing all their stuff they built and collected. Example: Me I just started a town and spent over 50k and now bang reset, I lose my dei and town? I would be annoyed but last time I was ok since I only had 5k and was in someone else town, still annoyed but not too annoyed since I love imdeity and I can start again which I did, but starting again, again is just plain annoying. I would also be sad to see that ayres be gone and many other great constructions people have worked hard on. So in my opinion no reset but do something about ghost towns like other people no this thread said - towns get deleted at -10k or get put up for auction and they go back to 0 dei and if they did get deleted you could have a kind team to help destroy it but world edit like you said kind of ruins the map since where oceanside was doesn't look nice, it was a small town and people could of just destroyed it.

16. Seedy_Slim

Seedy_Slim

• Sponsor
    In-Game Name:
    Seedy_Slim
    That's cool, man. I know that 1.3 made things miserable for a lot of Minecraft servers. The biggest problem is I am unfamiliar with the amount of work required to fix a pluging (or write a custom one). Will 1.4, if it does contain the promised fixes to make modding easier, also make maintaining custom plugins as well?

Unfortunately for you, I'm still here and not going anywhere. :)

17. legoazurp

legoazurp

• Vip
    In-Game Name:
    LEGOAP
    i've done a few expeditions all over the map, i saw a lot of great things, and a lot of sad, destroyed, old towns in debt, i am looking at them like an archeologist, trying to find out who lived there, how they lived, ect; it is a really sad veiw, and those towns take space, because the map is not infinit, those towns and their protections should be removed, so the space could be used

18. Vershye

Vershye

• Senior Moderator
    • Diamond
    In-Game Name:
    Vershye
    Why would it be unfortunate that your still here? I don't want to lose any players from the server. I just hate when the majority of the posts from people about he current state of the server are full of nothing but whining and complaining and ofer absolutely nothing towards actually helping the server. My post wasn't necissarily directed at you, it just happened to be yours that finally made me post since I've been holding off as long as possible.

As to the 1.4 making it easier to mod, I don't really know since I don't code any of the plugins. But, its not the ease of coding that 1.3 broke. They basically added military grade encryption to minecraft which made it pretty much impossible for some of our plugins to communicate with each other or the server. That along with other coding changes forced Deity to have t recode about 85% of the servers plugins.

So hopefully this sheds a little light on things and helps people understand a little better on what we're dealing with.

10askinsw and Seedy_Slim like this.
  19. Seedy_Slim

Seedy_Slim

• Sponsor
    In-Game Name:
    Seedy_Slim
    It does - thanks!

20. smcallah

smcallah

• Administrator
    In-Game Name:
    smcallah
    With Minecraft 1.3, the Bukkit team made big changes to their code base, rewriting most of it. They won't be doing that again for 1.4, since they are done with that. So any ImDeity plugins that use calls to Bukkit shouldn't break at all or not break as badly.

But anyway, as far as towns being deleted or auctioned... There once was a plan to auction in debt towns, but that never got put together. And with people being able to so easily create towns, as we have 75 on the server, there didn't seem to be a point. But they probably should at least be removed to create some room on the map. I'd honestly want to see town taxes taken from the mayor directly before the town goes into debt, since the mayor is ultimately responsible for that payment. Then once that money is gone, the town can go into debt.

Also, it's not that fair to active members of a town that might be in that situation, though there are few.

So with Kingdoms 2.0, there will be the ability for the assistants to call a vote for a new mayor. I think this may alleviate problems with towns going inactive because a mayor left, and everyone moving away. So we will probably just delete towns that are so in debt and no one is even in the town and probably just regenerate the area in some fashion.

I'd vote for a map reset myself, but only one person's vote counts.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.