1. Play on the ImDeity Minecraft Multiplayer server -- Goto the "Multiplayer" section of Minecraft and type "mc.imdeity.com" to join!
    Dismiss Notice

Come on now...

Discussion in 'Kingdoms General' started by Mojinax, July 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hallideadly

Hallideadly

• Sponsor
    In-Game Name:
    Hallideadly
    I would like to reiterate what I have stated before - you Mods, (all of you), are doing a fantastic job for us, and it is appreciated, (very much so).

I was quite surprised to see you defend yourself Seph, IMO there was/is no need, and I am sure others feel the same. Those of us that have been here awhile are aware that our Mods are very reliable and intelligent.

*wipes off brown stuff at end of nose*

Not going into Pros/Cons
    Keeping in mind the tons of work being done behind the scenes.

Started the year with a new 1.8 world reset, that's so awesome.
    Getting our beloved creative world updated to 1.8, hooray.
    PvP events are active weekly again, and spleef is running now.
    There was a new mod pack in ftb, and new recipes we can craft - soo kewl.. we still have 4 months left, Wink wink...

-- What is there to complain about again? NVM, don't care, having too much fun. :)

Sapkins, BarryX15, Stephfork and 2 others like this.
  2. Majora_Unmasked

Majora_Unmasked

• Gold
    In-Game Name:
    aCrowLookedAtMe
    By itself, it certainly isn't helping anyone. But it is helping in breaking down the omnipresent barriers between the staff and players, and allowing the observant to throw their opinions into the public eye.
    Also I'd like to point out that the "defensive attitudes" I pointed out in my earlier post are thankfully less present here.

Hopefully we don't need another thread like this for people to actually speak up and make their opinions heard and acknowledged.

melvin484, heinz_gruber and Qazz like this.
  3. Qazz

Qazz

• Sponsor
    In-Game Name:
    Qazz
    The only thing I'm going to say here is that the main reason that there's a barrier between the staff and the players is due to the fact that it seems that at times there are players that refuse to trust and confide in staff for whatever reason. Every time I've seen a player come to the staff for help regarding any matter, the staff have done everything in their power to resolve/help the issue(s). However it seems that it's becoming less and less common that players are actually willing to converse with the staff when it comes to server issues. They just rabble on to their friends about it and wonder why nothing gets done about it, and when the staff do try to step in and offer help they're told they're invasive and oppressing. The weight to remove the barrier falls on the players as a whole, and it only takes a couple to set the path to do so.

heinz_gruber likes this.
  4. heinz_gruber

heinz_gruber

• Sponsor
    In-Game Name:
    heinz_gruber
    Whilst i both agree and disagree with this Qazz, you are correct of course, but there is another aspect to this, when i first came here my thought was "wow this is a strict server" but i loved it so it was fine because i was capable of behaving myself.

But helpfulness is like beauty, it is all in the eye of the beholder, whilst i may think the staff are helpful, other people will interpret what staff say differently.

A lot of people have complained about the staff "attitude" but this is usually a combination of either not understanding the response the mod has given, or rather than explain something that is complicated the staff then say "read the wiki".

Saying "read the wiki" is fine, but at the same time it is not fine, it is too short a response, and basically tells the player that you cannot be bothered to get to know the new players.
    I would rephrase it " my memory is really bad, but here is the link to the wiki if that helps you buddy <3"

^^^^^doesnt that look totally different to the reader?^^^^^

While both of those are fine to players who have been around long enough to know what the duties of a staff member are, there are players who just want a bit of helpful advice.

If i worked in a shoe store, and someone walked into my shop and said "i would like some shoes" its like me saying "go and look" Which is actually very rude.
    In a shoe store, i would be expected to tend to the customers every need and brown nose them till they are out the door with as many shoes as i could sell them.

(if anyone is thinking "this is a game not a shoe shop" then you need to go learn some people skills please)

Long story short, there is a huge difference between being helpful and friendly, but it is possible to be both, as many are.
    But it might just be me, but i have been on 1 or 2 other servers and been simply amazed at how warm the welcome was.

I have had my own dealings with staff members, and if they are having a good day, then what they tell me will cheer me up and i will have a good day too.

The staff are not there just to play the game, or moderate the server, they are there to be a shining example of humanity and make everyone feel welcome.

And another thing, i have been head moderator on a server, albeit short lived, was actually busier with traffic than i expected, as much as i loved being helpful and treating each player as an individual case, and not being dismissive, i found i quickly built up a player base and they trusted me to look after them, but the rules had to be enforced, and my standards were higher due to being part of this server, i expected the same from my own player base, and a few of the players quickly turned against me and accused me of hacking because i was being firm albeit fair.

But as Seph has explained there is a flipside to being staff, Enforcing rules certainly does not make you popular or cool. The hate is unwarranted, however the staff need to recognize that if someone has a complaint it isn't for no reason at all and steps can be taken to avoid similar situations.

This is only happening here because we have an active forum, and a community that cares, so please look at any discussion as a good thing, despite any negative feelings anyone has.

I am proud of all the players who still come back and show it love, most of them dont feel that way all the time, but they never give up and neither will i.

Agree with a lot of what majora said regarding suggestions for improvement, we are allowed to wish and dream, no one can stop that.

But with that wishing and dreaming one day might come the golden idea that we were all waiting for.

Thankyou for reading xD

Last edited: September 2, 2015
  5. sunnydb0y

sunnydb0y

• Vip
    In-Game Name:
    Retro_Lank
    honestly why do you guys write essays or over complicate things on a server?
    Its simply just as is. No need to personalize everything you touch on the internet.

6. Majora_Unmasked

Majora_Unmasked

• Gold
    In-Game Name:
    aCrowLookedAtMe
    people are "writing essays" because they give a damn about this server and its diminishing community. you might be fine with it as it is now, but that doesn't mean everyone else is, and it certainly doesn't mean they have to be

heinz_gruber and melvin484 like this.
  7. Qazz

Qazz

• Sponsor
    In-Game Name:
    Qazz
    I somewhat feel as though this response was unneeded.

When corresponding with the player base on a daily basis, it seems to be quite frustrating to have to explain things over and over again. Which, yes, that is one of the duties of the staff of the server (to help players when needed), the players still need to understand how to learn about the server for themselves. This is one of the reasons we have the guide. There's nothing wrong with asking questions every now and then, but if they're asking about things that we have in-depth explanations about on the website, it's much easier to direct them there. Plus, they may also see there the answers to other questions that they may have. This is why linking the guide is encouraged. It's not a memory issue on behalf of the staff, it's convenience and efficiency.

I understand that there are some players that may not understand why linking the guide is better than giving a direct and "kind-hearted" answer to a player, and that's fine if when they're helping players that they want to handle it in their own way. However it becomes an issue when the players think it's acceptable to tell the staff how to do their job due to their own personal preference. It's not an "attitude problem", it's job proficiency. If it's not your job to moderate the server then it's not your place to speak on it.

8. Majora_Unmasked

Majora_Unmasked

• Gold
    In-Game Name:
    aCrowLookedAtMe
    he's not saying not to refer to the wiki; he's suggesting being a little more pleasant about it. and if maintaining a more welcoming presence is something that you're opposed to...

artsgal and heinz_gruber like this.
  9. Sephronia

Sephronia

• Sponsor
    In-Game Name:
    Sephronia
    'Hi sweetheart. If you could please refer to the wiki, that would be very much appreciated. Thank you very much. Ya'll have a nice day.'

FaTd33r, melvin484, Vershye and 4 others like this.
  10. heinz_gruber

heinz_gruber

• Sponsor
    In-Game Name:
    heinz_gruber
    Why do people have to go off on a tangent? Case closed.

GG Maj, I feel like you understand me on this.

Qazz i am not saying dont link the wiki, just don't allow the staff to come accross as dismissive.

I simply cannot abide responses which include understones of "READ THE WIKI THATS WHAT ITS FOR IDIOT"

And you prevent that with a little smiley its not hard.

"heres the link to the wiki bud xD"

As the staff tend to use macros, it wouldnt be hard to have a pleasant one that makes us smile when we see it.

Not really hard is it?

Last edited: September 3, 2015
    Majora_Unmasked likes this.
  11. Qazz

Qazz

• Sponsor
    In-Game Name:
    Qazz
    It's not dismissive at all, it's directing the players to the largest source of information the website has to offer.

Also, I don't know where you're getting the idea that there's such a negative connotation associated with a link to the wiki. It's just a stated reminder that we have an area of the website that addresses many common questions and concerns. It's not referring to someone as an idiot at all. Plus, I wouldn't imagine that new players would need information so "dumbed down" for them that they need a pet name and an emoticon to make them feel better about an answer to something they asked. You're underestimating our new players. Not all of them need their hands held.

Also, I certainly don't think that it's any players place to instruct the staff on how they should do their job, no less one that isn't around frequently. I understand that you may have been staff on some other server, but that's irrelevant to this server. Until you're staff on ImDeity Kingdoms, it is not your place to instruct the mods of ImDeity Kingdoms on how to do the job that each of them have been doing for a minimum of a year and a half. You're being extremely condescending by assuming the difficulty of their job and trying to tell them how to better their attitudes.

Also, as a side note, none of the staff members I know use macros. They're attentive to each player, and not dismissive in the least.

Vershye and heinz_gruber like this.
  12. Arwenden

Arwenden

• Senior Moderator
    In-Game Name:
    Arwenden
    I have to disagree with you on that Qazz. Maybe the word 'instruct' is a bit too much, but players noting or stating that they dislike or like a staff member's behaviour is something I can only applaud. Everyone should learn from their mistakes, being a staff member does not make us different. Heinz's idea that we could be nicer to players when referring them to the wiki is not something we should discard. Even though it might not intended to be or sound negative, it is good that players think and comment otherwise. What we do with this feedback is up to the staff members.

Being a staff member can be a daunting and difficult task, but it is only made fun because of the players we play with. If these players don't like the attitudes of certain staff members it is their right (maybe even their duty) to complain about it, and not to be constantly shushed by the rest of the staff or players. We can only improve the server and its community by taking their opinions into account. Heinz's statement is something which we can easily adjust. We do not necessarily need to add a emoticon, but being nicer and less straight-forward to players is always recommended.

Moreover, I do not see why you should point out that it isn't Heinz's place to tell us how to do our jobs. Instead, it is everyone's place to do so! Of course, rules and regulations must be followed, but discussions are what we needed. Not players who keep silent because their opinions are not valued ... The worst thing, though, is making fun of other people's ideas or feedback. That is something which I cannot tolerate at all. I hoped we all would be more mature about that.

13. heinz_gruber

heinz_gruber

• Sponsor
    In-Game Name:
    heinz_gruber
    I just looked at Sephs profile, and rather than take heed of my words, the maturity level dictates to Mock me openly instead, fine be how you want to be Seph and Qazz but don't act surprised when people get upset because of a lack of manners or understanding clearly.

And the fact you mock me means you don't care about what I say. And rather than keep it private, it is in full public view, I don't see why you feel the need to team up against other people Qazz and Seph in order to mock people openly.
    But it is not for your benefit that I make any of these points. It's for everyone else, and you need to stop butting heads with the wrong people.

What I find shocking is that I defended Seph and said the hate is unwarranted And then he goes and mocks me on his profile, I changed my mind, the hate is totally warranted and you bring it all on yourself.

Last edited: September 3, 2015
    Majora_Unmasked likes this.
  14. The_Yogs

The_Yogs

• Sponsor
    In-Game Name:
    The_Yogs
    2 things.

1. Newsflash: no one reads the wiki. Unless there's a really competent player using the help channel, referencing the wiki is most likely a complete waste of time.

2. Often companies in the real world fill leadership positions by hiring employees externally. They don't try to create "change" or fill voids by promoting longstanding employees because they are set in their ways and don't offer a new take on things. The lesson to take from this is that once there is a certain level of toxicity within a company (or in Minecraft's case, a server), a way to tackle it is to bring on some fresh new faces. Get some new mods to help defend the old timers.

Majora_Unmasked and heinz_gruber like this.
  15. ImDeity

ImDeity

• Administrator
    In-Game Name:
    ImDeity
    Your concerns have been noted. This thread has been open for over a month and is now turning into little more than personal attacks so I am now locking it.

If there are further issues with staff, feel free to screenshot and send it to me or Gwen via forum PM.

jdonovin, Sapkins, erorah and 11 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.