1. Play on the ImDeity Minecraft Multiplayer server -- Goto the "Multiplayer" section of Minecraft and type "mc.imdeity.com" to join!
    Dismiss Notice

Colored Names in /who

Discussion in 'Approved Suggestions' started by cliff777, January 27, 2013.

1. Rmarmorstein

Rmarmorstein

• Diamond
    In-Game Name:
    Rmarmorstein
    Hmm, that makes sense.

Is there something in there for maybe town staff, and the mayor. In your town?

2. cliff777

cliff777

• Gold
    In-Game Name:
    cliff777
    Yes, but that would require more kingdoms-2 integration. That is fine as well, and good idea :D

3. Majora_Unmasked

Majora_Unmasked

• Gold
    In-Game Name:
    aCrowLookedAtMe
    Ya, like me! :3

EDIT: I think you could also show donor ranks; like sponsor is pink, VIP is green, and so on
    And, you could also make it so that their name reflects their class; Ex. Craftsman citizens' names are dark green, vendors are blue, lords are gold
    Just my two cents worth. ;)

cliff777 and thejacoborg like this.
  4. SaintThunder

SaintThunder

• Sponsor
    In-Game Name:
    SaintThunder
    Two contradictory things. Both can exist at the same time, yet only one color can be displayed. That, and that would be adding too much color to the plugin. It detracts from knowing who is actually what on the server. Who is a mod? Who is an admin? Who is just a normal player? Too much clutter, which is not something that I think is needed.

5. Frenchy1

Frenchy1

• Diamond
    In-Game Name:
    Frenchy1
    Yep, this should really only go for staff. There is no real purpose of us getting colors. If we are well known, then people know us and can contact us if they want, where as people who do not "know us" would wonder why the heck our name is colored

6. Majora_Unmasked

Majora_Unmasked

• Gold
    In-Game Name:
    aCrowLookedAtMe
    I understand SaintThunder's point completely; it shouldn't be cluttered. But on those nights where we need a laborer to place redstone, the class colors may be helpful for locating a reliable laborer, to name one use of it.

7. Frenchy1

Frenchy1

• Diamond
    In-Game Name:
    Frenchy1
    Good point, maybe make a color for laborers are they are the only class that actually offer public service.
    It really is hard to get a laborer these days, the ones that I know well are either busy or offline when i need them, it would be nice to be able to see all of the ones online.

8. cliff777

cliff777

• Gold
    In-Game Name:
    cliff777
    Perhaps a command can be created to list all online laborers?

9. SaintThunder

SaintThunder

• Sponsor
    In-Game Name:
    SaintThunder
    If you need a laborer, there is the /trade channel. A reliable laborer, who is willing to do the job, will likely respond. The system is set up in the hopes that the majority of players choose the laborer class, so you should never find them to be in short supply. Also, it might even be easier to search your town/kingdom for a laborer with a few seconds on their hands. Maybe you have town/kingdom forums where you can make contact as well?

My point is, for what is the most sought after class and what should be the most abundant, there are many ways to find them. Without a legend for the colors, most players can guess who staff is and about what rank they are. If non-staff start getting added to the colors, a legend will have to be added. Now I don't know about anyone else, but when I type /who when there are more than 60-70 people on, the list can sometimes go off my screen and I have to scroll up in the chat to see the whole list. If a color legend gets added, it gets added to the top. So what happens when someone answers a new player's question to find out who is online/what staff are online by telling them to type /who, and the first thing they see is one player who is highlighted in green at the bottom of the list? Not all players know to hit 't' (or whatever brings up chat) and scroll up. Yes there are ways around that by saying "type /who and look for the blue and red colors," but that's adding one more complication to the list of a plugin that is supposed to simplify the system a little.

This would be what I personally find preferable. A command that can either list all players online by their class, or a command that can show up all online players within a given class. I know there was a function similar to this prior to Kingdoms 2.0, but I don't recall if it was part of /who or another command.

It is just my opinion here, but I'd rather have two commands that aren't cluttered than one command that is cluttered.

cliff777 likes this.
  10. AntonioBarbarian

AntonioBarbarian

In-Game Name:
    AntonioBarbarian
    What about setting some commands like /showcolor Labourer, that way it would show the class clors, and if you don't want any colored names, just type something like /showcolor off.

11. cliff777

cliff777

• Gold
    In-Game Name:
    cliff777
    This is just getting too complicated.

As saint has said,
    The goal of this suggestion is to make it easier for players to find online staff. If we highlight every players name (most players have classes), it'll take as long or longer than it is taking now to find an online staff member.

thejacoborg likes this.
  12. Frenchy1

Frenchy1

• Diamond
    In-Game Name:
    Frenchy1
    The main issue remains that "Coloring" the names is fine but if there are 150 people online you can only see a third of the names (and therefore many of the staff will not be shown).
    Perhaps add both things in, so put colors for staff (so new players can just use 1 command)

/who Would display everyone + staff names with colors

Then for more advanced players have
    /who mayor
    /who lord
    /who laborer
    /who merchant
    would only display said players (no need of colors, just hides all non [x] players.)
    I know that this makes a lot of commands, but the other 4 would only serve in specific cases and are really only needed by some of the older players. Therefore it would keep it simple for newer players while adding in the extra refined search option for people who need it.

13. Arwenden

Arwenden

• Senior Moderator
    In-Game Name:
    Arwenden
    I think we just need to start with the basics, instead of throwing in more and more suggestions.
    Knowing whether staff is online is always good, if we can get colored names with /who it would be of great help! Finding laborers can always be done in the /trade channel, and is not necessary at this moment. But I agree that if it comes to that, it should be a different command, as it would become too colorful in /who then.

Also Frenchy I don't see the need in wanting to see who is a lord or who is a vendor. Only laborers can sell their services, as someone stated in this thread before. As well as the /who mayor is not necessary, you can always do /t info (-o) to see who is the mayor of a town and to see whether he/she is online.

Just go back to the original idea, as that is a great one. When this is being accepted, and developed, you can always expand it more (if there is a need for it). Don't make it too big! It should be nice and practical!

(Although I don't like the color of Sr. Mods :(, but I understand *sniffs*)

14. Rmarmorstein

Rmarmorstein

• Diamond
    In-Game Name:
    Rmarmorstein
    Now, on the wiki, in the list of commands, it says there is a /laborer, and /noble and /merchant (or at least last i checked) I don't think this is implemented, but that could be the solution for the finding a laborer thing.

15. The_Yogs

The_Yogs

• Sponsor
    In-Game Name:
    The_Yogs
    I don't care what you java maniacs do, my name needs to be in a rainbow color!!

:D

16. cliff777

cliff777

• Gold
    In-Game Name:
    cliff777
    I believe the way of collecting a noble salary is /noble [numbers given in a chat message]. So there are probably commands for all three classes made, just not implemented for vendors and laborers.

17. Rmarmorstein

Rmarmorstein

• Diamond
    In-Game Name:
    Rmarmorstein
    That makes sense actually. Although it would be nice to be able to do that, to request one.

Can we do a rainbow chat color? I don't think that we can, or at least notwith ChatColor.xxx

18. cliff777

cliff777

• Gold
    In-Game Name:
    cliff777
    Code:
    ChatColor[] colors = {ChatColor.RED, ChatColor.ORANGE, ChatColor.YELLOW, ChatColor.GREEN, ChatColor.AQUA, ChatColor.BLUE, ChatColor.VIOLET};
    int colorIndex = 0;

String player = "The_Yogs";
    String output = "";
    Char[] cArray = player.toCharArray();

for(char c : cArray) {
        output += colors[colorIndex % 7] + c;
    }

return output;
    Thats basically how you'd do it. However, the code would end up repeating the colors for longer named players, but that would be a little more advanced code.

The_Yogs likes this.
  19. Majora_Unmasked

Majora_Unmasked

• Gold
    In-Game Name:
    aCrowLookedAtMe
    I have a LOT to learn...
    So far this is all I know how to do (In Python)
    Code:
    x = cow
    if x = cow:
    print 'Moo' 

20. Rmarmorstein

Rmarmorstein

• Diamond
    In-Game Name:
    Rmarmorstein
    This is something more simple i did, averages any amount of numbers.

Code:
    package me.riverm;

import java.util.Scanner;

class primary {
    public static void main (String args[]) {
    Scanner input = new Scanner(System.in);
    int amount;
    int number;
    int average;
    int total = 0;
    int counter = 0;

System.out.println("Input Amount of Numbers: ");
    amount = input.nextInt();
    while(counter < amount) {
    System.out.println("Input Number: ");
    number = input.nextInt();
    total = total + number;
    counter++;
    }
    average = total / amount;
    System.out.println("Your Average is " + average);

}
    }

I am working on some bukkit plugins now, simpler ones.

EDIT: cannot get the formatting to work, if you need it with formatting, then i uploaded it here: https://github.com/Rmarmorstein/ConsoleAverage/blob/master/primary.java

I will look into that! Thanks ;)