1. Play on the ImDeity Minecraft Multiplayer server -- Goto the "Multiplayer" section of Minecraft and type "mc.imdeity.com" to join!
    Dismiss Notice

Bringing back our good old friend: The whitelist

Discussion in 'Suggestions / Ideas' started by Leviathan_Ziz, February 5, 2012.

?

Do we need the whitelist back?

Poll closed February 19, 2012.
  1. Yes (Quality)

67.3%
  2. No (Quanity)

32.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bonesetter1775

Bonesetter1775

• Gold
    In-Game Name:
    Bonesetter1775
    Firstly - vanZeben, you've changed my mind on the whitelist.

Secondly - I like this "quiz to join" idea. Can we put a spelling or grammar test in there? >.>

Riillaith, cliff777 and vanZeben like this.
  2. AntonioBarbarian

AntonioBarbarian

In-Game Name:
    AntonioBarbarian
    Thats the best idea evar, and a quiz on the foruns too, with a grammar test too

3. Bonesetter1775

Bonesetter1775

• Gold
    In-Game Name:
    Bonesetter1775
    Can't tell if trolling or if bad spelling/grammar. ;-)

4. AntonioBarbarian

AntonioBarbarian

In-Game Name:
    AntonioBarbarian
    I think both, english is not my first language ;)

5. Mitzuki_Tsukashi

Mitzuki_Tsukashi

• Vip
    In-Game Name:
    Mitzuki_Tsukashi
    i couldnt agree with Leviathan more. i abhore all the lowbrow riff-raff that has infected our precious server. i belive we need to purge this disease by use of a whitelist.

(no, im not on anything, im in literature class)

Leviathan_Ziz and Xananas like this.
  6. Leviathan_Ziz

Leviathan_Ziz

• Gold
    In-Game Name:
    Leviathan_Ziz
    I don't think this is an existing feature yet... Or even possible... + This wouldn't prevent griefing, most problems are caused by new people, that have been on the server for less then a week or longer.

This is basicly the idea of a whitelist... it's a test for people, but then a test that costs them around 5-10 minutes, which shows they actually spent time on it, unlike the starter quest, or a quiz, in which they just read, pick the right answer, or the wrong, turn around, going forth, and forgetting what they just answered.

I sometimes get the feeling we're not providing enough (all) information, which is just impossible, but do you not agree that there are plenty of people who act moronic on a daily basis, do you not agree that the greatest part of our player-base, that has been here for over a month, has learned, or already knew how to read, and never, or almost never acted like idiots ?

I never claimed that one thing doesn't lead to another, i even agree on that point, but a whitelist does improve the overall quality, and whitelist means less noobs, which also attracts more players of higher quality, just as the no whitelist attracts more people that just want to play quickly, and end-up never conversating to someone, and not contributing. Do we really want lonewolves? I'd prefer ImDeity to be more of an medium to high quality server, with a slightly lower population, instead of being a slightly larger server with slightly less quality. I do not care about the workload, as whitelist adds a similar amount of work to the server, i'd prefer just to be busy for maybe even twice or even three times as long, as long as i know i am providing the server with friendly work, instead of just policing.

I do not wish to go back to the server when there were less people online everyday, however i do want to bring back the feeling of general "homeyness" as you describe it, i see home as a place where people get together, do fun stuff, enjoy social behaviour, the whitelist does help alot in this. Re-adding the whitelist is only going to stop players that /care about stuff, and play like they would do on the singleplayer, alone, build stuff, not really inspired by others to make this server awesome, by giving it a hand.

I would like to remind you that the towns on this server, and probably on all other servers are "disconnected" communities, adding in something like nations. (for which i have proven myself, that you CAN make it work, as long as you put in some EFFORT) Making the server feel more like a community is not handled by a no-whitelist, or having a whitelist, people always form tight communities, it's not possible to destroy these walls, if people don't pick up the sledgehammer themselves.

However i do think that the whitelist will not decrease new players that much, it might even increase our daily player base, at the expense of alot of loners, but tell me, would you like 10 newlings, of which 9/10 that do not do anything that has something to do with others, or making nice things, or one player, that might even end up playing ten, or hundred times more in total then those 10 players, spread over a longer time, that adds something to the server, makes friends, makes other people's day, just like during the "Homey-period" ?

A whitelist is a tool to make the server a better place, quanity is not all, neither is quality, and the whitelist will shift the balance back to a mixture of those 2, instead of, what many people ,that know the server, agree on quanity.

7. ngennaro

ngennaro

• Vip
    In-Game Name:
    ngennaro
    Ok, I see the reason for a whitelist now. I vote yes!

8. wesbog

wesbog

In-Game Name:
    wesbog
    brought back a good old friend, me!:p
    the main reason i left is because of the whitelist beign 'broken' at that time. back then, only 4 new persons would join a day, and they were instantly recruited.
    now, because there are so many, it isnt a big problem to get new people.
    whitelist, yes! quality over quantity.

9. ImDeity

ImDeity

• Administrator
    In-Game Name:
    ImDeity
    I think smc/zeben etc already responded to this well but I'll put in my 2 pennies/cents.

First, one misconception about the whitelist is that it will cut down on griefers and such but this is far from true -- it may have a small impact on the percentage of griefers coming into the server but it definitely doesn't keep them out. For the first few months of this server, we had a whitelist and as you can see from the ban thread (plus the hundreds more bans vv and I did from before we had the ban thread), there were numerous rule breakers/griefers/thieves/spammers, etc. Does it cut down on the total amount of griefers? Sure but thats simply because there are far less people joining/seeing the server. If we wanted to go in that direction, we could put our player cap at 30 people or so and then have the 'perfect' community that some people dream of.

People envision some perfect world where only 'good' players apply and griefers/troublemakers are too scared or don't have the time to take 1 minute to copy and paste a form and fill out some questions but the reality is that the bad players also fill out these whitelist forms (often times doing a dozen or more in the span of a few minutes across multiple sites) and then return a day later when all their whitelist applications have gone through. It's not like we can get their drivers license or ID and do a background check on them and griefers are just as capable of filling out a whitelist form.

Also as smc said, our mcbans system is setup to block people with a low reputation from ever joining our server which is far more effective than a whitelist -- it actually uses a players past history (a background check basically) to see which ones we definitely don't want on our server. This blocks quite a few people every day automatically. Not only that but when we do a global ban, we contribute to this global reputation system in turn warning other servers about bad players.

It is also an immense amount of work to do manual whitelisting. On Minecraftforums alone, I have personally made over 3000 posts that are all whitelist application responses. 99% of those applications are all approvals too. Staff members would have to check on the whitelist every hour or so, read them, add to the servers whitelist, then respond to each player. It is tedious, wastes a lot of time and both good and bad players respond the same way to any test/questions you have in your whitelist application (Do you agree to our rules? Yes! Do you agree not to grief? Of course!, etc).

Also, as many have already said above, it keeps a lot of good players from ever seeing or trying our server. Many players will simply skip over any whitelist server and goto one that they can instantly try, see if it lives upto their expectations or intrigues them and then choose whether they want to stick around. There are a lot of servers that claim to have the same things "We have towns too! We have an economy system too!" etc but I think our implementation is unique and suited to a unique set of players and it'd be a shame to stop people from seeing any of our work and going to some other server because they list the same features but don't implement it as well as we have or have the community that we do.

TL;DR: Nope.

10. Takhz

Takhz

• Sponsor
    In-Game Name:
    Takhz
    I can't say nothing more than I am amazed!
    The amount of people that wrote a comment on this thread, shows how important and vital a subject this is. The whitelist is a great thing to have, and pretty much cleans up the server. Removes annoying noobs that literally do nothing but spam, and clears out La' Griefers.
    It's nice to see someone finally taking it up ;) Personally I do not know how many times I've told noobs, and others, even laborer's, things as "Read the signs at the spawn.." "Go to the forums.." and much more. Yeah there are things that not everyone knows, and then you ask, but not 20-30-40 times in a row. And seriously, how hard is it to READ the Signs?! This has been said before, and it is a serious problem. So yeah. I vote for a whitelist. :p Please bring it back <3

P.S FANTASTIC idea Leviathan!

------

EDIT:
    After reading Deity's response to this, I must admit that I am starting to doubt, but I still personally believe it'll do better for the server itself to have a whitelist.

11. Xananas

Xananas

In-Game Name:
    Xananas
    I still think it should be able to have new players prove they are serious, by having them accomplish something in a separate world, might aswell call it a 'ingame whitelist', that way players can hop on the server right away when seeing the name on some website, and they can play on the server whilst proving the are honest players looking for a good time, shouldnt that cut down the amount of idiots and grievers a little?

12. Pennutbutter112

Pennutbutter112

In-Game Name:
    Pennutbutter112
    The idea has good and bad effects but I think its up to the admins in the end.

13. smcallah

smcallah

• Administrator
    In-Game Name:
    smcallah
    We pretty much do have a "new player test" now. Since we require players to travel 1500 blocks to find somewhere to build on their own, that weeds out players that are not serious and stops a lot of people that grief immediately. And once/if honeypots return, that is another thing that takes care of immediate griefers.

Yes, I know that people can bypass the walking by /t spawning to a town and going from there. But a lot of new players don't figure this out, probably the same ones that would be stopped or slowed by a whitelist in the first place.

The worst that we get anymore from a lot of "join & griefers" is spamming in chat, because they got tired of walking 1500 blocks, or didn't want to anyway.

With 2000 - 3000 players coming on the server everyday, and there being a very small percentage of tickets created per that number of players, I see the lack of a whitelist as a non-issue, and as more of a hindrance to good people that want to try a server immediately and will just skip a whitelist server.

Riillaith likes this.
  14. Realm1121

Realm1121

• Sponsor
    In-Game Name:
    Realm1121
    I'd have too disagree, because votes will be less because less people are joining the server even if it for one day they do the 1st vote cause they need that dei. I don't think I would have joined a server that was white listed because of the wait for acception, normally if I want to try out a server I'd like instant access.

15. Xboxnolifes

Xboxnolifes

In-Game Name:
    xboxnolifes
    I wouldn't mind either way, I I'll apply anyway xD

16. FaTd33r

FaTd33r

• Gold
    In-Game Name:
    FaTd33r
    I love the point you get back on Leviathan.It's actually something that,of course it's good to have quality players,maybe don't have its place on the server now. When we had the Whitelist,the server was calm: but there wasn't that much players too. Some quality players are sometimes too lazy to do a simple test about answering simple questions either, but maybe it can splits easier things.

Without really knowing it, MCBans actually works like the same of a whitelist. Yes, it brings griefers/stealers/whatever-you-name-it, but atleast, server gets alive, it doesn't happen no more to be alone on a 200-300 players server.

And @ImDeity, Would there be another possible option about this,except MCbans?

17. Zouleena

Zouleena

• Sponsor
    In-Game Name:
    Zouleena
    i love the IDEA of a whitelist.

in the perfect world, we would have only honest, active, helpful players apply, taking the time to think about how to answer the question "Why do you want to be a member of our fabulous server?". No noobiots would apply, feeling that we would be on them like a bee on honey if they dare lie in their application, or as we check their past ban-history before we approve them, we discover their .25 MCBans score and their "naughty list".

I, too was here when we had to manually add names to the whitelist. and, although I think it would do some good, I think that truly it wouldn't make much difference at all, and just create more work for those who do the whitelising. much more fun to ban those noobiots, or troll them like Sock or Bone regularily does to my delight ;) We will always have our dedicated core group of players who make this server as special and wonderful as it is...

so, i give my thumbs down to re-adding the whitelist.

Jingostarr likes this.
  18. ngennaro

ngennaro

• Vip
    In-Game Name:
    ngennaro
    To stop this, couldn't the towns make there t spawns private? Or make a area around the spawn to keep it inclosed? Also, I would not likeap a whitelist. (changed my mind XD). Is is because I tried to get on a whitelisted server. 3 months later, and I STILL have yet to be whitelisted. And as said before, the whitelist does not stop noobs. It would have to be extremely long, and even if it was, it would repel active, good players from joining.

19. Leviathan_Ziz

Leviathan_Ziz

• Gold
    In-Game Name:
    Leviathan_Ziz
    One would think that the 1500 blocks radius prevents griefing and stealing, yet it doesn't. Griefers and thieves will still find their way to people's homes, tough i have to admit the amount of tickets have decreased, probably also being helped by the map reset, seeing the fact that people's builds are able to be overseen better and people do not know where to find stuff to grief yet.

The whitelist is just one possible solution, a more extensive test however would be better, as the starter quest and the 1500 blocks walk does not prevent as much griefing and stealing as i'd wish.

20. Delsolid

Delsolid

In-Game Name:
    Delsolid
    Well after thinking about it, I support the idea of whitelist on ImDiety

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.