1. Play on the ImDeity Minecraft Multiplayer server -- Goto the "Multiplayer" section of Minecraft and type "mc.imdeity.com" to join!
    Dismiss Notice

Bringing back our good old friend: The whitelist

Discussion in 'Suggestions / Ideas' started by Leviathan_Ziz, February 5, 2012.

?

Do we need the whitelist back?

Poll closed February 19, 2012.
  1. Yes (Quality)

67.3%
  2. No (Quanity)

32.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IGoCrystal

IGoCrystal

In-Game Name:
    IGoCrystal
  2. Helmtower

Helmtower

• Gold
    In-Game Name:
    Helmtower
    i agree. If they dont have time to do a simple form and read some notes go to obsidian. I left all the suposed great diamond servers because of all the noobs and greefers. As it is too many noobs are filling up the chat with questions that have answers at the main spawn. READ A LITTLE, stop being so lazy and asking staff. They have more important things to do like bug fixing. I love deity and i tell all my friend to come here. Where else can you construct such grand citys and have such a great online experience.

Thanks Deity :D

3. Rillaith

Rillaith

• Sponsor
    In-Game Name:
    Rillaith
    I wouldn't have joined the server if there had been a whitelist. I spent some time looking into servers out there because I wanted a change from SSP and a small private Buildcraft server (just 6 of us!). I was looking for something UK-based, so I messed up there, but SO many had always-on PVP (meh!), whitelist, this that and the other, or really naff websites, poor grammar & spelling, or apparently barely active communities. ImDeity looked the more appealing of my shortlist of 3 or so, so I decided to try it out before I committed to staying. 4 months later, I hope I'm making a worthwhile contribution to the server, between helping towns with their expansion plans, answering Qs in chat, and participating in the forums.

A whitelist wasn't worth the 2 minutes to fill in a form (and potentially hours or days to wait for someone to manually add me to a whitelist if it wasn't automated - what would the point be in a whitelist if it's automated?) when what I wanted was instant gratification, and the opportunity to dip my toes in the water to see what a server was like before deciding if it was the server for me.

dmandork, ImDeity, smcallah and 2 others like this.
  4. Nesdirual

Nesdirual

In-Game Name:
    Nesdirual
    In my own opinion. White lists generally help 98%
    Quality> Quanity

5. FizzleCrank

FizzleCrank

In-Game Name:
    FizzleCrank
    I have a slightly different suggestion.

Its pretty clear Deity and Van and the staff on this server have it segmented pretty good into seperate worlds, which are stable and arent causing a whole lot of lag, warp points are pretty good etc.

How about a n00b zone, i've played on servers before where there was a noob world so to speak, a completely fenced off area of x blocks by y blocks
    noobs cant leave this area, they cant blow up or destroy the fence in anyway, theyre unable to dig under it, they are imprisoned in this noob world for a period of say 3 days, in which they have to prove they are serious about joining the server, proven by building a house/building/structure that conforms to a small set of regulations, screen shots be taken, and posted on these forums as submissions to be granted access to the live world.

Inventories that have been acquired can be brought with them into the live world, which then gives the new player a better chance of suviving, they would also then acquire their first promotion within they're chosen class set, a permission change on the /t spawn so the player can then port out of the noob world into live if and when the player has been granted access by approval

this is going to keep any griefers in a box, away from anyone, and with a limited world to run around in theyre gonna get bored, thats not to say that it will deter ALL griefers but it could reduce the amount that will enter the server, a griefer may not be willing to spend 3 days in a boxed world, with the only way to get out is to build something constructive and not destroy other peoples constructions

whaddya think?

6. Rillaith

Rillaith

• Sponsor
    In-Game Name:
    Rillaith
    I like the suggestion, but I don't think I would have stayed if I'd even tried it out. Remember that it's not just about keeping out unmentionables, but also attracting lovely people too. The noob zone would have to be interesting and exciting and tempting in its own right to attract people who want to join the server, and would definitely need access to all the regular chat channels, or it'll keep everyone out, not just the griefers.

Nice idea, though. Warrants some thought.

7. prwraith

prwraith

• Gold
    In-Game Name:
    prwraith
    The guest area from classic is the closest to what your talking about FizzleCrank, it's an intriguing idea. Of course it does have its own limitations. Namely having a guest area is staff intensive, with the classic guest area it wasn't entirely uncommon for some people to be stuck there for quite a while before being released.

Of course it never prevented everyone with ill-intent from spreading outside of the afore mentioned area. It did stemmy the tide, however.

Regardless its not a feasible solution. The bottom line is this. Anything that you put in to hamper a players ability to play the game the way he wants to play it is a negative. Not towards quality of course, but towards the players inclination to play on this particular server. It's true of anything really and getting right down to the core of it, is also why fast food places are so popular. The path of least resistance is basically what i'm referring to.

At the end of the day, a gated system has its benefits as well as its drawbacks, as does an open door policy. Personally I rather enjoy watching the banhammer strike with regularity.

Zouleena and ImDeity like this.
  8. Xananas

Xananas

In-Game Name:
    Xananas
    I do think the whitelist should be brought back, as a longtime player here, i loved how everybody knew eachother on the server, and i got much more the feeling i was a player actually contributing to a nice community,
    and not just 'random player #7162682'
    I did like mods had the time to actually /tp to you and help you out with your problems, and not having to file a ticket and to wait about a day.
    Not saying i dont like the ticket system, but just that we were able to personally call for help when needed.
    I do think we should have some sort of way to keep new players from joining a town or entering the main world,
    since nowadays there are alot of players who enter the server; play for 2 hours, build a 4x4 cobble house, chop 2 trees, and leave to never been seen again.
    This way we could prevent random structures a bit more, and keep the world a bit cleaner too!

I just hope the server goes back to quality over quantity again, as that was the kind of server i started playing on, and that was the kind of server i loved the most!

9. FizzleCrank

FizzleCrank

In-Game Name:
    FizzleCrank
    right ofcourse, i mean its a suggestion that can be expanded on, access to all channels is a must i agree, so that they can at least communicate with everyone and get a feel for the server, yes i also agree that there should be something within that noob world that is somewhat enticing, exciting etc something to build off of, create some inspiration etc etc, not just be a random world and boom off you go get on with it.

but thats the catch isnt it, ppl who are here just to grief wont bother with the server, ppl who are here to join play and be apart of it, will gladly do a 1-3 day stint in a newbie world, where all their inventories will be carried over, rank 1 of class acquistion, and the building itself doesnt have to be that elaborate, just good enough to show some creativity and vision, not run around and break half of someones house.

ofcourse the length of time in the noob world could be reduced etc dependign on what everyone or deity think is appropriate, and ultiamtely it can be tried out, if it doesnt work scrap it and carry on

10. vanZeben

vanZeben

• Sponsor
    In-Game Name:
    vanZeben

I was thinking this earlier when i made my post to this thread. Have a guest world for you to start in, and if you wish to join the main server, do a quiz to get in the Kingdoms of ImmortalDeity

11. AntonioBarbarian

AntonioBarbarian

In-Game Name:
    AntonioBarbarian
    I played on a server with that too, though it was a PVP server, their "Guestland" was completely destroyed, greifed, everything, i think if we add that, we would need special moderators designed to that specific area, and it would need a spawn, and its own towns, and its commands, like /go noob to tp to its spawn /t noob spawn (townname) or something like that, it will defenitely need lots of programming, will it be worth it, we would have to implement it to see

12. Xananas

Xananas

In-Game Name:
    Xananas
    Maybe something more then a quiz? Maybe a objective new players have to complete in order to enter the real world!
    And then i mean an objective that actually takes some time to accomplish, and then a quiz to finish it off!
    That way, it should already separate most of the grievers from the actual players,
    since most grievers and idiots dont want to spend too much time on that kind of things, before being able to grief or start trolling around in the main world.

13. vanZeben

vanZeben

• Sponsor
    In-Game Name:
    vanZeben
    ^^ what i was thinking exactly, give it an RPG feel

14. FizzleCrank

FizzleCrank

In-Game Name:
    FizzleCrank
    yeah thats what i meant by building something to some small regulatory settings, if you want to call it an objective, that cool, its pretty much same thing, if you want to cap it off with a quizz thats cool too

thats kinda the point isnt it, that area gets griefed to high heaven and the rest of the server doesnt, i dont think setting a spawn point and a warp to, is a lot of programming i infact know it isnt, and the spawn area can be reset every 3 days or something or week or what ever, if the player is encouraged to take regular screen shots to show progress then it wont make a whole lot of difference if there place gets griefed, they can show they built soemthing do their quiz and get ported otu whilst the griefer is stuck there with no one to grief

15. cliff777

cliff777

• Gold
    In-Game Name:
    cliff777
    These ideas sound great. I don't think those great players will be turned away if they have to take a small test, or finish something simple to get to the main world. And it doesn't have to be a big world either, currently the server is running 4 worlds, sometimes 5 (during events) with out any lag.

16. AntonioBarbarian

AntonioBarbarian

In-Game Name:
    AntonioBarbarian
    And after they get tped out, the construction they made is deleted, so that way, a greifer cant come, find a cool building made a month ago, take some screenies and claim it as his own

17. BarryX15

BarryX15

• Sponsor
    In-Game Name:
    BarryX15
    If there was a whitelist, i would probably never join. I tried begging for being whitelisted once on another server and it wasnt worth it. Deity server attracted me because it is so open and forthcoming and there was no need to beg for whitelisting me. If we set more restrictions, it will discourage good newbies more than griefers.

18. Xananas

Xananas

In-Game Name:
    Xananas
    The whitelist the server used to have wasnt really restricted, you only needed to say your ingame name, why you wanted to join, and stuff like that.
    It was easy enough to get in (everybody got in, as far as i know) but it was too much work for random grievers and trolls to fill in and wait for access to the server, it worked quite well in my opinion.

19. FizzleCrank

FizzleCrank

In-Game Name:
    FizzleCrank
    precisely

20. Xananas

Xananas

In-Game Name:
    Xananas
    You could use a creative world/ming world hybrid for that maybe?
    Mining world type, for gathering materials, and then creative world type for your own private building plot.
    It cant get grieved there, you cant get help from other players, there you build something, get it rated, take a little quiz, and go to the main world.
    You have to make it so that dropped materials cant be picked up by other players too, i already see people heping eachother out that way, and you need to make sure it isnt creative mode,
    as gathering materials would be too easy that way.
    Once a player is able to enter the real world, their plot gets erased, and somebody else can use it, maybe the resource world there can be refreshed every day, so people dont have to wait for materials to reset.

Just another of my random ideas here haha, feel free to suggest! ;p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.