1. Play on the ImDeity Minecraft Multiplayer server -- Goto the "Multiplayer" section of Minecraft and type "mc.imdeity.com" to join!
    Dismiss Notice

Bringing back our good old friend: The whitelist

Discussion in 'Suggestions / Ideas' started by Leviathan_Ziz, February 5, 2012.

?

Do we need the whitelist back?

Poll closed February 19, 2012.
  1. Yes (Quality)

67.3%
  2. No (Quanity)

32.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. angryjukebox

angryjukebox

• Diamond
    In-Game Name:
    Angryjukebox
    I suggested this once in game, but the idea was shot down by 2 mods and xsock, I really think we need the whitelist, mainly because we have people come on here ONLY to grief.

2. thejacoborg

thejacoborg

• Gold
    In-Game Name:
    thejacoborg
    Again, I think tougher punishments for griefers would help cut down on their "fun".

3. Derekj54

Derekj54

• Sponsor
    In-Game Name:
    Szai_
    i enjoy lots of noobs around, whitelist would make the server more boring

dmandork likes this.
  4. lilgrubs

lilgrubs

• Gold
    In-Game Name:
    Lilgrubs
    There is WAY too many noobs, and idiots on this server. This would just lower the population of them on the server so for me It is a great Idea to bring the white list back.

5. DidDover

DidDover

• Classic Operator
    In-Game Name:
    diddover
    Yes, it is a great idea to bring it back. Currently there are way too many noobs. Let's go back to the old style! :cool:

6. Bonesetter1775

Bonesetter1775

• Gold
    In-Game Name:
    Bonesetter1775
    There's no end, though. We'd have the same amount of griefers and thieves, just with more jail time.

7. angryjukebox

angryjukebox

• Diamond
    In-Game Name:
    Angryjukebox
    In my opinion, that won't cut it. The people will still come on, grief and when they get jailed if it's longer they will just leave, and repeat etc...

8. Zeradeth

Zeradeth

In-Game Name:
    Zeradeth
    I can honestly say, even though I am a constant MC player, and made the no-life list in my first 5 days, if there had been a white list I would not have joined.
    When first choosing a server to join, you don't know what it is going to be like, or how great the people are. You look at the highest rated, and maybe a few reviews. Any server that I tried to join and it asked for an application, I would have moved on and chosen another of the hundreds of servers. Not because I am impatient, but for the same reason I wouldn't apply for a job that I knew nothing about. How much work is it, how many people, what quality of building. All servers claim to be the best in all these features, so without joining up and testing the water, how is anyone supposed to know?
    Not to mention, 5 minutes isn't going to stop any griefers. Would spending 5 minutes on a prank make you not want to do it? Most griefers see their wretched actions as pranks. All in all, it would cut down on people looking for a good server, and not help any of the current issues.

dmandork likes this.
  9. zRations

zRations

• Sponsor
    In-Game Name:
    zRations
    You don't know the half of it. We get around 50 tickets a day just from people that joined the server 30 mins before and griefed. With a whitelist, most griefers wont take the time to try and join thus making people more happy in the long run.

10. maxwell25937

maxwell25937

• Diamond
    In-Game Name:
    maxwell25937
    I don't agree with this whitelist because I was here after the whitelist and I don't consider my self a noob because I haven't sweared Griefed or stollen anything but I will agree if someone could answer my questions will I lose my plots and dei and be removed from my town if no I fully support the whitelist

11. smcallah

smcallah

• Administrator
    In-Game Name:
    smcallah
    How would a whitelist stop that? There was no kind of "background check" or anything when there was a whitelist, no could there be. So there will still be people people that come on here only to grief.

mcbans.com keeps the worst away by never allowing them on the server in the first place.

12. tefphoenix

tefphoenix

• Sponsor
    In-Game Name:
    tefphoenix
    Maybe suggest inviting all players to join the whitelist after being on 5 days (calendar not playing time). Would give time for all the noobs to get used to the server and we'll all been noobs at onetime (meaning new, not rude). Would give time for admin to see how the new players act in game.

13. arcticassassin16

arcticassassin16

In-Game Name:
    ArcticAssassin16
    In the whitelist we should also ask if they have played on other Minecraft servers before.
    I really hope we can bring back the whitelist. We could also possibly include a little attachment to the whitelist that says:
    By playing on the server, you will follow all rules.

14. kauffmanjd10

kauffmanjd10

In-Game Name:
    kauffmanjd10
    Dislike the thought of a whitelist. The main thing the server needs is support from donators so that Imdeity can keep it up and running and the best way to do that is to have multitudes of various people to be able to join and see if the server is something they wish to join and contribute too.

When new players are looking for servers to join, one of the last things they want to see is that the server they're interested in is "whitelist supported". This results in a much smaller amount of online players throughout the day. And of course there will be some people who have the ambition of signing up to be approved just to join the server, but the majority will see "Imdeity" listed and will just use their scroll wheel to go further down the list looking for a server to join.

Basically, we DO NOT need the whitelist. The server is not cheap to run and needs all the possible support it can possibly get. If anything, we need a handful of more, mature, and reasonably active moderators within the game. (Not saying the ones we have are bad, we just could use more)

maxwell25937 likes this.
  15. angryjukebox

angryjukebox

• Diamond
    In-Game Name:
    Angryjukebox
    While it may not perform a background check, many griefers would be discouraged by the fact that there is a whitelist. Also, before accepting whitelist applications we could check their MCbans record for any local bans.

AntonioBarbarian likes this.
  16. AntonioBarbarian

AntonioBarbarian

In-Game Name:
    AntonioBarbarian
    I am completely for it, whitelist saves the server, it would make it a better experience, i totally agree with a whitelist, but a question: I play here since October, so, if the whitelist is approved, will i need to apply to it, or, i can just play the game normally??

17. rockman933

rockman933

In-Game Name:
    Rockman933
    No. I speak from experience when i say whitelists can be confusing. I had played on a server i liked for months and one day it said that a whitelist was required. I thought the server had gone exclusive and abandoned it with disgust... I didn't know what it was so i left. This is probably the way it will be for 90% of the noobs on this server. I wouldn't want to be one of those noobs or loose all of those players if i was imdiety.

dmandork likes this.
  18. AntonioBarbarian

AntonioBarbarian

In-Game Name:
    AntonioBarbarian
    Say that to the 100+ people that will loyaly stay, a whitelist is just an aplication you need to make to be allowed to play on a server, it helps to protect the server from bad ppl

19. vanZeben

vanZeben

• Sponsor
    In-Game Name:
    vanZeben
    Something that you can't comprehend at the moment which completely dis-credits your "argument". Your saying that with the whitelist, we get good quality members, and without it we just get a sheer amount of "noobs" but the fact remains that without the whitelist we get the "good quality players" that we would get with the whitelist PLUS a lot of other members that may or may not stay. Its not one or the other, its one PLUS the other. The only upside of re-adding the whitelist is that staff dont have to parse out the noobs from the good players as much and well thats just your "job" in itself. Dont be lazy.

However I can see what people like KiddieWish are saying about when we had <100 people online and you knew every single person. Hell I was around when it was <20 people online. We were all one big family and we all knew each other. However that aspect of the server isn't something that can be revived by re-adding a whitelist. When we grew from being that 40 constant player-base to where we are now we lost a lot of "homey" feel to the server but thats what to be said about progress. Re-adding a whitelist is only going to stop new players from coming in. Its not going to change saying hello to everyone when the enter, and knowing everyone on the server. Thats something that is dependant on the server peeps. At this time it looks like each town has become its own "disconnected" community from the whole server itself. If you wish to change that and return to our previous feel, then its up to you to change that, venture outside of your own backyard and take a stroll in the kingdoms of ImDeity!

20. mbonachea

mbonachea

• Vip
    In-Game Name:
    mbonachea
    From past experience, I know that a whitelist keeps people away from servers. They want to join then and there, now when a mod gets around to doing the whitelist.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.