1. Play on the ImDeity Minecraft Multiplayer server -- Goto the "Multiplayer" section of Minecraft and type "mc.imdeity.com" to join!
    Dismiss Notice

Allowing Sticky Pistons

Discussion in 'Suggestions / Ideas' started by Cdogmcfrog, February 24, 2012.

?

Should Sticky Pistons Be Allowed?

1. Yes

73.1%
  2. No

26.9%
  1. Cdogmcfrog

Cdogmcfrog

In-Game Name:
    Cdogmcfrog
    Hello my name is Maddox Williams (aka Cdogmcfrog) And my suggestion for this quickly growing server is to allow the use of Sticky Pistons! I understand the controversy of allowing this block, some say it could destroy kingdoms, some say it could ruin the server, but i say they could revolutionize the farming industry. My way to fix the destroying of kingdoms, is for Sticky Pistons only to be allowed on a plot claimed by YOU! This would disable the use of Sticky Pistons for evil. I myself want sticky pistons so i can create automated farms. Also another cool feature would be to allow Sticky Pistons to be placed in a town (anywhere in town region), but only allowed to be placed by the Mayor/Assistant of that town.
    I truly appreciate you time!
    Thanks, Maddox

2. MGBroadcast

MGBroadcast

In-Game Name:
    MGBroadcast
    Please use the search bar

They will/very possibly be available to craftsmen at higher ranks, when classes are fully functional

Sephronia likes this.
  3. Cdogmcfrog

Cdogmcfrog

In-Game Name:
    Cdogmcfrog
  4. Ericsin

Ericsin

• Gold
    In-Game Name:
    Ericsin
    yay!!! answered my Question too!!!

5. Rillaith

Rillaith

• Sponsor
    In-Game Name:
    Rillaith
    You can build them with regular pistons, just not the same style. Regular pistons work just fine to block off water though.

6. darknightzion

darknightzion

In-Game Name:
    darknightzion
    Yay!! cant wait

7. mbonachea

mbonachea

• Vip
    In-Game Name:
    mbonachea
    Well, the main issue with pistons is that you can grief with them. WorldGuard doesn't protect against retrieving blocks from other member's plots by the use of a sticky piston (I think). So, like MG said, it might implemented. So keep your fingers crossed.

8. BigBird

BigBird

In-Game Name:
    BigBirdo
    No way they can be used for bad and increase lag.

But as MG said they might be to come.

9. SuperCalifornia

SuperCalifornia

I agree with Cdogmcfrog, it would revolutionize farming, but grefers can not use it for grefing! it could help hide your stuff!

10. eltono999

eltono999

• Sponsor
    In-Game Name:
    eltono999
    Higher classes of labourer will have them if implemented at all. Greifers wont spend the weeks needed to get to that level to use them.

Cdogmcfrog likes this.
  11. SuperCalifornia

SuperCalifornia

very true, unless they have a friend higher up.

12. Bryant Welch

Bryant Welch

In-Game Name:
    little_welch
    i dont think this is a good idea because people would place traps

13. Phyrion

Phyrion

In-Game Name:
    Phyrion
    You don't need sticky pistons to place traps...... Whoever told you that is sadly mistaking.

I could design almost any trap with pistons that you can design with sticky pistons, just takes more resources, and more work.

14. Wisp SteamLockFox

Wisp SteamLockFox

In-Game Name:
    SteamLockFox
    I could place a trap with stone doors and a pressure plate with some water and watch people drown themselves. You dont need pistions at all to kill people. or better yet. automated opening trapdoor floor hidden in some tall grass that leads to a 30 block drop. just 2 examples of a simple trap that you dont need pistions for. I like the idea of sticky pistons being allowed only at higher levels and only being able to be placed in regions owned or by respected members of a community.

15. Bonesetter1775

Bonesetter1775

• Gold
    In-Game Name:
    Bonesetter1775
    Even with all of the stipulations you suggest, it doesn't stop griefing. Let's say I claim a plot right beside yours. I place my stick piston on my plot. I activate it. It sticks to that diamond block you thought you'd decorate your house with. Diamond block is now mine.

Add to that whether or not it even logs what sticky pistons stick to, and there are potentially a slew of griefing problems to come out of this. And while I'd like an automated farm just as much as the next person, I don't want to begin to guess what kind of lag there would be if 1/3 of the server had sticky piston farms going on added to what we've already got.

16. dmandawg1

dmandawg1

In-Game Name:
    dmandawg1
    Agree with kindof all sides on this. Is there anyway to make it so like crops, the block has to be in a sort of activated to work? The whole, being in a radius of said block? I know the ones in busy places will be pretty much constantly growing but it would help right? I do not enjoy the idea of the griefing, honestly think it should be the farthest laborer tier you have to get to. So it takes ages to get there. Lol. My thoughts :p

17. Bonesetter1775

Bonesetter1775

• Gold
    In-Game Name:
    Bonesetter1775
    While I agree that we could set it up in ways that mitigate all of the griefing, I think the amount of coding work to put into that is probably going to be extreme, and right now I don't know that sticky pistons would be anywhere close to the top of the list of "Developers Things To Do".

18. dmandawg1

dmandawg1

In-Game Name:
    dmandawg1
    Yeah they do have tons to do. Talking long term run, I mainly like them for pretty big gates and such xD. Never made an auto farm, not that lazy. Rawr.

19. Wisp SteamLockFox

Wisp SteamLockFox

In-Game Name:
    SteamLockFox
    the scary thing with sticky pistions is when you put them together and rig them to reach out far distances. you could potentially reach all the way across someone elses plot. i used to make elevators with them on creative.

20. dmandawg1

dmandawg1

In-Game Name:
    dmandawg1
    Would be ridiculous if someone ranked ALL the way up, and went through all that work, just to get banned... xD. I doubt it would be a common incident. As long as the people ranked that high watched what they were hired to build and used some sense. I think it might be alright, but thinking long term, the lag would get pretty dang high.