1. Play on the ImDeity Minecraft Multiplayer server -- Goto the "Multiplayer" section of Minecraft and type "mc.imdeity.com" to join!
    Dismiss Notice

Opinions [Please Read]

Discussion in 'Kingdoms General' started by eltono999, June 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eltono999

eltono999

• Sponsor
    In-Game Name:
    eltono999
    Hey all.

Well. Most of you would have been drawn here by the title. Keep in mind most of this is just opinions and feelings, that are felt mutual through many well known members in the community. I love this server, and have been a part of it longer than most. Anything seen as server bashing or anything similar is completely unintentional, and i would like to request this thread to not be locked so others can post their views as well. This is just an honest thread, and i'm going to say a lot of crap, but yeah, you have been warned.

Well, lately on the server, for a lot of people, their typical day has been.
    1. Log on.
    2. Talk to some people, maybe deal with a town matter
    3. Jump/fly around their town, doing nothing constructive.
    4. Realise how bored they actually are and log off.

There's plenty of factors contributing to this. Lets face it, lots of things in the server are going downhill. Yeah yeah i know, new plugins being made, new spawn being made, staff is busy and all that. But i mean come on. It's been how long since the reset, and things like auctions aren't even being worked on. While unplanned things such as PvP, DeityGames, DvZ all get primary attention. I know there's been COUNTLESS complaints over these things, but we need to get our act together.

Economy. Down the drain. For the lack of MCMMO, lack of rare items, lack of even general items used for decoration (Eg, glowstone is only available by buying the little that is left from players) there is just a surplus of dei with the people who succeeded when there was a proper economy, and just keep making dei. It's so much harder for the regular player now. Sure i know you're supposed to get your items and stuff the way you can, like mining world and such. But i mean, it's multiplayer. On this server for the longest time you could just buy whatever you wanted. It's too late to have a crappy economy and have everyone get their own stuff. It's too late for any changes like that. Theres so much further i can go with economy, but i think i've made my point.

Heres one that will probably annoy most of the staff. Guess what it is?
    Staff.
    In the last few months, many staff have become inactive/quit. Many staff have been demoted. And NO staff, that we DESPERATELY need has been put to work. Too many times i have gotten on and there has been no staff online, or when there is, they're AFK the whole time. Sure, a lot of the time when i get on it's in the Australian evening times, so there would be 20-50 people online. Doesn't mean the small amount of people online don't need a mod. We don't have a mod for Europe/Asia-Pacific/Australia time zones.
    Nolarboot, Moirafae, MGBroadcast. There, in no specific order, are the three that first popped into my head that should be mod. Three, out of so many people deserving. Hell, i even think i'd be a good moderator. There are so many people that really should be made into staff. We need them. It's been too long without sufficient staff.

Before i continue, i apologise for the fact that this is a massive wall of text. And also because the points im making aren't exactly strong points as of yet. But i'm sure most of the people reading this that actually have something big to do in this server agree that it needs a serious overhaul.

The server is just getting boring in general too. Sure, i could go build in creative, i could go make a faction, i could make something cool on the main server, but these things just haven't been enough. I don't know what exactly has changed, but something has over the past few months, and the server just doesn't have the same feel as it did. Even staff are doing what so many of us do. Just logging on, jumping around, doing nothing productive, and leaving. Theres so many more things i could add on to this. Like how some of the rules like "Town matters" are just pure bullcrap for a server like this, but i think i have said enough for now. I know so many of these points are weak and easily answered to, but the veterans of the server, the people who are on ALL the time know exactly what i'm talking about. And they're the opinions that really matter to the server.

Like i said, i love this server to death, but it needs to get its act together.
    </Rant>

2. Qazz

Qazz

• Sponsor
    In-Game Name:
    Qazz
    Eltono,
    I fully respect and slightly agree with your "rant". I agree that the things that were previously promised first should have been taken care of sooner, rather than these spontaneous, unplanned, unnecessary new things that have been recently added. I agree that the economy is screwed up. I agree with just about everything you have said. And I believe that we do need a change of some sort. Things on the server are going haywire, and it has become a bit boring to stay online lately. I love the server as well, but all I see now is things going downhill. And plus, the quality of players has gone down signifigantly. The server is losing it's special touch that makes the veterans want to stay, and if things keep going the way they are, all of the old players are likely to leave.

So I guess that I'm just saying that I full on agree with, and respect your post, and hope that things soon change for the better.

timmehboi, zRations and eltono999 like this.
  3. eltono999

eltono999

• Sponsor
    In-Game Name:
    eltono999
    Thank you very much for your input. It's players like who whose opinion on this sort of topic matter. The people who are always on, and impacting on how the server goes.

Qazz likes this.
  4. zRations

zRations

• Sponsor
    In-Game Name:
    zRations
    Eltono, I 100% agree with you. I am also glad to see people expressing their feelings and opinions on the server. Saying things like this should not be brought up as bad but as good as they help the server. Feedback is something that this world thrives on.

I have already stated my opinion to some, and instead, I would like to show people what others on the server really think.

Please feel free to state your opinion on this in a formal post.

To other staff, please do not lock this thread. I honestly feel that this will better the server.

5. timmehboi

timmehboi

• Sponsor
    In-Game Name:
    timmehboi
    Eltono, you have done more than just make a "rant", but pretty much made a declaration with the views of the veterans and loyal players in mind. We came to ImDeity to have a good time, make friends, learn more about the people behind their texture packs, and because of it's unique plugins, player quality, and overall appeal. Many players on this server feel like any opinion of theirs that is spoken out will be retaliated against and therefore don't make threads like these, that need to be made.

I agree with what you've stated, and also with what Qazz has stated. We were expecting after Armageddon (world wipe, restart, whatever you wanna call it) that classes would get revamped/updated, our basic and best plugins stabilized, and a sense of a fresh start on a new map. Instead, we've gotten countless new things that have otherwise wasted our time for the most part. I'm not saying they're bad, but most of the players, in my opinion, care more about the classes, economy, and player quality over things that just take up our time like all the new mini-games. Another random thing that's gone down the drain is the "duration" of a new player on the server. You'll see them join, get their basic class, join a town, make half of their house, and then never see them again.

In all honesty, while I'm not on the server as much as I'd like due to real life, I still love this server and support it 100%. I wouldn't have donated if I didn't think it was worth keeping it alive. However, to put it bluntly, while you've built on to the server and gained some new types of players, you've left a struggling foundation because of it. Just like a tower, if the foundation isn't strong, the building crumbles eventually. This is just my two cents and I hope that it doesn't offend you, but it is within my right to keep to my beliefs.

-timmehboi

6. Joklikolai

Joklikolai

• Sponsor
    In-Game Name:
    Joklikolai
    I agree on what Qazz & zRations have said - This thread is a honest and good thread that shows what needs to be done, and what's really going on when people pop on ImDeity. We need to start getting the "old" stuff back - Auctions - And not just adding a whole bunch of new worlds and new events that's popular the first 2 weeks. I'm not saying that these worlds aren't good ideas or that these worlds/events should never been made.. They are great, but
    /who pvp - 3 Online citizens (PvP)

So i hope that this thread will show "The server" what's really going on.

zRations and eltono999 like this.
  7. eltono999

eltono999

• Sponsor
    In-Game Name:
    eltono999
    This is not a topic to ask for random little things like that. It's for people who know what they're talking about to speak their opinions to make a change.

timmehboi and zRations like this.
  8. ImDeity

ImDeity

• Administrator
    In-Game Name:
    ImDeity
    While I agree that there are things that I wish we had been able to complete by now, this doesn't mean we aren't working on them whatsoever. There are a lot of things that we do behind the scenes and deal with that players don't ever see. We are looking to improve communication on developments and have been more active in announcing changes however.

Re: "Boredom". It's a sandbox game. We offer a variety of different things for people to do but Minecraft is what you make of it. We offer the three general aspects of Minecraft (town/economy/survival, PvP, and creative/freebuild mode) and added many things to the server in the form of plugins to keep it inspiring and interesting. It will no doubt become 'boring' at some point at which time it is a good idea to take some time off and return when you feel inspired/interested again. To expect any one game or server to grab and hold your attention for months on end non-stop is pretty unrealistic for most people -- there are however, many players, that to my surprise have been on for more hours each day and far more months than I ever thought any single person would spend on our server/Minecraft.

How many $50-60 games have you purchased and played for anywhere from 3 hours to 48 hours total and then stopped playing because you either reached the end or got bored? Minecraft on the other hand, for $25 has delivered far more enjoyment for many players and they've spent far more time in Minecraft SP/SMP than you would spend in a $50-60 game. There are some players on our server that have literally logged over 1000 hours alone.

Re: Economy. How does mcMMO or a lack of a few exclusive items (both of which we are close to implementing) mean the economy is broken? We take a lot of care in making sure that the server economy is balanced and running more smoothly than most servers. One of the servers on the Minestatus site for example is giving out 1000 coin per day per vote (times 4 for each of their servers). Now *that* is a broken economy. There is another one on that list that gives donators the ability to spawn any item they want if they donate but still have an "economy" system thats based on items. That is another broken economy. Our economy isn't "broken".

Re: Staff. The hiring (and leaving/firing) of staff is cyclical for our server. In fact vanZeben and I were just yesterday talking about the next 3 we will be notifying of their acceptance into the staff team. Are we ever going to have perfect 24/7/365 coverage of active staff members? Doubtful, but we are trying to go in that direction.

In summary, if you feel that the server is getting boring for you, take a break from the game and revisit when you feel inspired again (or try a different server). If you still enjoy playing here though, be patient and stick with us for a bit longer -- we will deliver on the things that we have stated will happen.

9. eltono999

eltono999

• Sponsor
    In-Game Name:
    eltono999
    These are the things i was worried you would say. When it comes to boredom, yes, that's true. It was always going to become boring at some point, it has happened, and i took a few weeks off for a break, and came back fresh. But doesn't the fact that so many players experiencing this 'Boredem' that the same time worry you? I realised you're doing what you can to make it a fun server, and you do it well, but like i said, a lot of players just feel something has been...missing..lately.
    Economy. I didn't make very good points here. My real hope was for the other players like me to chime in. I struck a blank while writing that portion, so now i'm going to give it another shot.
    First off, not to be rude or anything (even though it's going to sound rude), but don't pull the "One of the other servers" card. I'm not worried about if our economy is so much better than a high up server with a screwed economy. I realised they were examples, but it's liking pulling the donation card out in a ban appeal, it just doesn't work. I'm worried that ours is failing. Towns like Doha. They have such an excess of money, with nothing to spend it on. Because players can't buy the materials used to gain another material to sell. There is not much trading going on. Our economy may not be broken, but untill Player shops or Auctions or just SOMETHING is added, it will be slightly messed up.

I'm glad to hear new staff will be selected soon. I dearly hope one is from the Euro, Asia-Pacific area. And i realise you can never have constant coverage of staff, but i'd prefer there to be staff on more often than not.

In general, we think the server needs a kickstart. We wanted to spread this to everyone, and hope to god that the backbone of the server, the loyal, veteran players, that make the server so good, would convince you it's time to do something about this. No, we do not exactly know what, but please. Take all of this into account. Look back at this thread when players post onto it. See that we want something done. It's not just a bunch of arrogant players being annoying and ranting, we love the server, and want to see it do the best it possibly can.

10. heinz_gruber

heinz_gruber

• Sponsor
    In-Game Name:
    heinz_gruber
    while i agree with every word of imdeity and cannot argue against, i just think some of us were expecting the new classes and auctions etc, and even npcs, before things like new worlds were added, imho i think it leaves people especially sponsors wondering if they will ever see the excitment of auctions again,
    i think what we are trying to say to imdeity is we are too impatient for him to make further advances and we dont want to play other servers.
    so as much as we wish deity would implement other things or re add auctions etc were just gonna have to be patient. and one more thing i just want to mention, the old shopping mall was great and im sure that many people see a working mall and think this is cool. so maybe with things like auction and mall and npcs still out for the count, maybe thats why some people are getting bored. whether it be a sandbox game or not just having those extra features like trading means you can take a break from building and do something else for a change. not only that it brings meaning back to the trader class, but im sure thats on its way soon right>?
    also with the current ban on gold you succesfully scuppered buenavistas golden ticket system for the rails. where it was fine to trade gold before now its not.
    not a massive issue but it has kinda taken the gold out of golden ticket.
    i love the server and the people i just want to see a happy future that we all can enjoy.
    peace deity.

11. Kassial

Kassial

• Sponsor
    In-Game Name:
    Kassial
    In-regards to Gold, Heinz, you can blame the players for the ban on publicly trading it. As for what Deity has said, I agree. That is why I have taken a hiatus from playing Minecraft. That doesn't mean that I won't return to play it, it simply means I've burned myself out from over-playing it -- used to do it a lot on other online games, and then return. However, my activeness of the forums (In my opinion) more than makes up for my lack of appearance in-game as a Staff member.

Johndahbomb, Moiriana and vanZeben like this.
  12. zRations

zRations

• Sponsor
    In-Game Name:
    zRations
    Yes, I honestly believe that this server is the best out of all others. But since the reset, things have not been the same. Things that were promised 6 months ago are not here. The boredom addressed is not just Eltono. It is all veteran players. There seems to be not really anything to work for when you log on. Sure you can make a nice little building but what happens when you are done? Players need a spice to keep them brewing.

I do believe the economy at this moment is one of the biggest problems. The only income on the server is through gold and donating. If a player is not able to donate, then they basically, they are restricted to what they can do on the server. The /trade chat is not once what it was. Players use to buy and sell constantly in it but now, if a player even wants to buy a simple stack of logs, they will get no response. Why? Because most items now have lost value. Money is being brought onto the server, but none is being taken out. Taxes from my knowledge do not work. Also, mcMMO made it some players goals to mine and achieve high ranks in it. As they did, they could get many items that they could sell through their own or others player shops cycling the money throughout the server.

Taking a simple break will not fix the problems. If a player was to take break from when we had the reset till now, they would realize that nothing would have changed. The merchant class still has no perks.
    Boredom can be felt by some in the process but should not be felt by all. I am not basing this opinion on just my own but many others that I have talked to about this very situation.

13. Xananas

Xananas

In-Game Name:
    Xananas
    Though i completely agree with you Eltono, and i feel the same,
    I also understand Deity's point.
    Every server wants to become bigger and more popular, and with that, you will see alot more 1 day players, and random idiots.
    But the true veterans are still around, they never left.

I tried playing on other servers, but i just didn't enjoy it, i just love Deity and it's community. This was the first multiplayer server i ever played on, and now, after more than a year, i'm still around, and it's because of all the people i've met, and all the memories i have from this server.
    Those things are what make me come back to this server, and what makes me call this place 'home'.

I felt the same as you at one point, getting bored with ImDeity and Minecraft all together, so i stopped playing Minecraft completely for a while, and now i recently decided to start it up again, and i found out i really enjoyed it again.
    I have alot of ideas and i have more fun than ever, because everybody needs a break sometime. :)

I really hope MCMMO and auctions will come back soon, the main world could use some attention. ;p
    But i have complete faith in Deity and the whole team that they are working on those things, and that we will get them back when they are done!
    I know running a server and dealing with everything that comes with it is alot of work, so i'm patient and supporting you guys all the way!

I've been a longtime ImDeity player now; joining around february 2011 (including breaks). And i'm still planning to stay here for a loooong while.
    Cause no matter how much i disagree with things here at times, I still love it, and it's community to death, and that will never change.

vanZeben and ImDeity like this.
  14. eltono999

eltono999

• Sponsor
    In-Game Name:
    eltono999
    This is the point i can't seem to get across. It isn't just me feeling this way. It's a large amjority of the playerbase. We all feel like something is missing and not finding enough reasons to stay online.

15. Vershye

Vershye

• Senior Moderator
    • Diamond
    In-Game Name:
    Vershye
    Don't really have anything to add in to this discussion, but I did want to respond to this part. Taxes (resident taxes) have been working for a couple of weeks now. The old 1% tax that the server used to have pre-reset isn't implemented. So there is some dei being used up that was going from the residents to the town to town tax.

Moiriana and vanZeben like this.
  16. BarryX15

BarryX15

• Sponsor
    In-Game Name:
    BarryX15
    I realized on many servers (chat servers, computer&phone geeks, photo community, model car & other hobby, geocaching, minecraft, etc) some similarity to real life:

1. Kindergarten
    Server starts, known only among well-informed people or some small community. There are very few people online and you know everyone personally as much as internet allows. You are exploring all possibilites together and have much fun. If some troubles happen, if user database is lost, server gets disconnected or whatever, people will use another way of communication to join again and they dont complain at all, they help to develop server again and again.

2. Elementary school
    Server is established so it will not be switched off accidentally. Original members attract their internet&IRL friends to participate, explain to them how server works and how to have fun together. Staff may accidentaly do some mistake but there are less troubles as basic functions are tweaked and hopefully bugless.

3. High school
    Server is known to general public. First random members join just because they just heard or read something, they are not related in any way to other members, they can turn friendly and join the community or turn bad and make troubles. Some original members are upset by bad people as they are fed up by bad people in real life and this server, this particular one, was their lovely place to relax. Server staff is still learning how to deal with newbies and tries to add new functions to attract more people.

4. University
    Server is well-known to general public. This means staff starts to be overworked because of many newbies coming. This means staff has to develop new functions as there is no way back to small community, this means more bugs as there is no time to fix them. Some old functions are cancelled because they allow abuse, or generally turn to be bad ideas. More original members are upset and want the old times back, some leave, some become inactive, and the rest of them is like staff helpers as they remember everything from the beginning. They also make small hardcore community of people who know each other, although they may accept some really good newbie among themselves. Some relatively new members are surprised when they meet greenhorn who turns to be really experienced guy who just left for few weeks/months/years. This is breaking point, either there will be enough mature members and staff people to teach new ones and server will survive or mature members will leave and server is sentenced to slowly die out.

5. Job
    Server is one of top in its category. Busy staff. More restrictions. Very few new functions, very slow development. Bored hardcore members. Annoying newbies. Nothing funny, just hard boring work.

Where is ImDeity Kingdoms now?

And Eltono, I disagree with your disappointment. I wish i could have more time because now i sleep 5-6 hours a day to have enough time to deal with both IRL stuff and Deity stuff. Yes, being new spawn builder takes some time but its only part of my occupation here. I like mining, i like building, i dont care about pvp or other things.

Well, my usual day is:
    1. Log on
    2. Greetings, talk, getting my *** kicked by Strydier to make some new spawn buildings, if i have some ideas, i put them there.
    3. Town stuff, fixing noob holes around town, replanting trees, taking care about neighboring towns plans.
    4. Chilling at /go main, visiting staff room, stalking some people going through portals
    5. Helping those people to find place to build, explaining them server basics
    6. Mining some stuff to refill storage
    7. doing all points again and again in random order

Lets take one by one every of your complaints:

1. auctions, shops and other merchant stuff.
    I visited old mall few times but when i realized how big is difference between buying and selling prices, i decided not to support that kind of usury. Did anyone have same feelings? Shops are built in new spawn, lets wait for them. I agree that auctions should be put back, but i remember there was some glitch with duplicated items and many people bought glitched diamonds from auction which were unable to be crafted = useless.

2. PvP, MobEvents, DeityGames, DvZ
    New functions which might attract more people. I dont care at all about these as i am not interested in them. But the time spent on them could be used to develop and/or fix another basic things (maybe auctioning plugin?).

3. Economy and special stuff.
    MCMMO eats up much of server resources and i have to say server(servers) is(are) more laggy then i remember half year ago before map reset. It may be caused by new Minecraft versions too, 1.2.5 messed many things. I can live without MCMMO.
    Rare items: there is no lack of rare items, some are just more rare so more valuable, and for example rare ores are much easier to get with silk touch pickaxe.
    Glowstone can be earned by library quest. Up to 4 glowstones per one player. We have over 100.000 new players since map reset, that means 400.000 glowstones available. Just take some time to plant sugarcane, make paper, books, bookshelves, meet newbies at /go main and tell them to make that quest, give them all supplies and ask for some glowstone back. It takes time and effort, its not like going into shop, pointing at "Value Pack of Glowstones 63+1 FREE!" and spending some dei. Its new challenge.

4. Staff
    Yeah, there are few active staff members and some admins were demoted for inactivity too. But as i used to be part of town staff in biggest town on server, i sadly experienced that many people who seem to be good at the beginning can turn into troublemakers really quick. So you have to be very picky choosing new staff.

And.. uhm... what does "rant" mean?

EDIT: please, take special attention to my usual day, point 5. Its tiresome but it may reward you with something that cannot be bought for any amount of dei.

17. 2mad

2mad

In-Game Name:
    2MAD
    i also ,like vershye don't have much to add i just decided to post what i do when i log on for
    the general interest(or something lol i don't know)

hmm Barry your day actually seems quite interesting ,
    my day basically goes like this.

1.log on say hi to everyone in global,have a chat with someone
    2.say hi to my mayor gawkan and continue my project
    3.get pushed off the very top of the building im working on by Wild_Ice
    4.take a break from building harvest my crops
    5.do a little recruiting /assistant stuff
    6. start talking to people in /g and then eventually say bye

Gawkan likes this.
  18. Gwenhywar

Gwenhywar

• Head Moderator
    • Sponsor
    In-Game Name:
    Gwenhywar
    I do not want to get into this too much. But I think that the point about staff is stated wrong. There is hardly staff on in "my mornings" and I think that you refer to needed European mods because of that. But that is totally not the fact. When I was usually on was like I said "my mornings" when most of the Europeans are in school/at work. If you have complaints about times when no mod is online, imo it helps much more if you (and ofc all the others) would write down the server times when mods are missing. Because most of "my evenings", the regular times when Euopeans are on, are also packed full of mods or at least constantly one or two US-mods are online.

Imo we lack of mods since the PVP world. Mods are playing there and not moderating much anymore. Which is not really meant as a complaint or critic but a statement.

Further more I want to state one thing more, it makes no sense to say: "Because someone was demoted because of inactivity we need new mods/admins". They were inactive before that and no matter if they were mods/admins while that, they were inactive. No position to be filled really, that was covered before the demotion.

Moiriana and vanZeben like this.
  19. eltono999

eltono999

• Sponsor
    In-Game Name:
    eltono999
    The thing is, it's never really a specific time. It happened periodically throughout the day. Although Austrlian Evenings seem to have no mods present for hours at a time.
    As for "Demotion due to inactivity", several staff have been demoted due to activity or otherwise lately, or have just quit the server. There's plenty of spots to be filled. Staff isn't a large part, it's just getting annoying when someone spams or is being a general nub and we just have to put up with iut till they give up.

20. Kassial

Kassial

• Sponsor
    In-Game Name:
    Kassial
    As far as I am aware there is an ignore feature, or there was. Isn't that still available, if there are no Staff present?

Banjofox and Qazz like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.