1. Play on the ImDeity Minecraft Multiplayer server -- Goto the "Multiplayer" section of Minecraft and type "mc.imdeity.com" to join!
    Dismiss Notice

Moribund

Discussion in 'Kingdoms General' started by Mojinax, August 24, 2014.

1. Mojinax

Mojinax

• VIP
    In-Game Name:
    Mojinax
    For many of you, I'm sure that's the first time you've seen that word. It means death. Our server has been in decline for months going on years - I haven't kept count. Now that's a great way to argue your point; by not having the research, charts, and data. But I do know that I haven't played on the server for some time now, and that a large number of people are not playing because they're waiting for a map reset. And in my opinion, that's just really sad.

I've been playing a lot of World of Warcraft lately. A large number of Blizzard's playerbase has unsubscribed from the game because there has, and will be, no new content for 14 months now. I'd ask if you can imagine 14 months without new content, but I can tell you that you've already experienced it. People don't stay on this server because they like how it is run, or because there is plenty of things to do on the server; they stay because they've planted roots and made friends. I've played a lot of games in the past and never have I seen such tight knit groups of friends. It's why I have been here for 3+ years, because I'm comfortable with the people around the server. Sure we fight and have occasional issues, but the fact that we all know each other speaks volumes. If you haven't figured it out already, Deity, your server is run by the people. We pay for it to continue, and we create artificial content in lieu of developer content being released. But we can only do so much.

The last content 'patch' we have had, and I personally do not consider it content, is FTB. I love and many others love FTB, but I see it as just a transferring of the reigns. It's almost as if Deity handed over the developing rights of this server to the Magic Farm 2 team. It seems to me that Deity has just given up on the server. Now that may not be true - I hope it's not - but I have no other way of knowing.

You keep us in the dark. Being kept in the dark isn't a bad thing, but this version of it is. The way it's done here, it would be like throwing us in a pitch black cell for months compared to blindfolding us before the surprise. It's good to not tell us too much, but it's bad to not tell us anything. The way I see it, you're simply waiting for the right time to press the reset button and that's all you have planned - and we don't even know IF that's going to happen in the nearby future. And when it does happen, we'll be satisfied for 6 months before people start waiting for the next reset. That's not a way to run a server. However, it is a good way to run a psychological experiment.

I used to be able to refresh the forum's page every hour or so and find something to comment on. Now I have to create my own posts to feel I'm partaking in an intellectual conversation or debate. Something needs to change - if you've got something you're working on, tell us. Drop us a hint like you did with the castle being built last reset. But if you don't... Well then that's even worse. We all think you hold the magic stick, Deity. It's hard to tell from your position, but really all us veterans are no different from the noobs who scream "Omg it's ImDeity!" at the NPC of you. We all have this grand idea of who your are and what you're capable of, even me. And for the first time in 3 years, even though I've criticized you on multiple occasions, my view and perspective on you has changed. From a Deity to a once-was.

I love this server and it's sad to see it in such a poor state. People need to speak up because what is going on is not right. I know another one of your excuses will be not having another dev by your side, but I'm sure the donors wouldn't have a problem with you tossing some cash aside for a decent dev. It would pay off in the long run.

Speak up if you agree or if you'd like to voice opinions of your own. Your voices wont be heard if you keep them confined to your head. I want to see this server alive and kicking again.

Edit: For those whom seem to misunderstand my point, I'm not here to say the server is going to fall apart. I'm saying that this is not a good way to run a server. Players aren't enjoying their current experience. Don't believe me? We used to have a lot more players than we currently do. Take your mind off the statistics and put them on a moral scale. What we're on now is like feeding your dog once a week and giving it water every other day.

Last edited: August 24, 2014
  2. melvin484

melvin484

In-Game Name:
    TwitchyCake
    I just wanted to say, from my perspective, I hope this thread does NOT get shut down and locked or deleted. I want this thread to have a good discussion, so please, hear this dude out.

3. Mojinax

Mojinax

• VIP
    In-Game Name:
    Mojinax
    Hopefully just a discussion. A debate, I'm sure, will be shut down. So please keep it civil, as I will do my best.

lukecraft01 and melvin484 like this.
  4. legoazurp

legoazurp

• Vip
    In-Game Name:
    LEGOAP
  5. Qazz

Qazz

• Sponsor
    In-Game Name:
    Qazz
    It would take a blind fool to say that the server hasn't been on a decline for a while now, but in my opinion, it seems a bit hasty and rude to assume that the server owner is giving up on something that has thrived and prospered for the past three years. No, we are not at the state that we used to be at, and quite honestly I never hope we top at 200 or more online players again. It was complete chaos. For someone who says they've been around for three years, then you should remember how things used to be. When we had all of these new players running around, there was a ton more for the team to take care of. Be it griefs, thefts, chat spamming, trolls, DDOS attacks, or whatever else. That (as it seems you may not have considered) can put a halt on progress.

Now, with that being said, have you also considered that there are things being worked on that the majority of the playerbase is not aware of? The staff is not going to inform us of every little thing that they're working on as they're working on it. Take our current spawn for example. It was kept a secret for a bit until they decided to release the news of its upbringing. If most of the server is given awareness of plans and such, it can cause chaos. For example, when there was nobody thwarting the rumors of all of the server's donators losing their perks as well as the ability to donate. Players (donators especially, obviously) were having a bout of panic, only to find out that we get to keep the ability to donate to the server.

Minecraft is not and should not be a game about tons of new things and loads of features to keep people playing. Minecraft is a game based on surviving and prospering. That's it. ImDeity should not need to be adding a plethora of new things in to the server to make it amazing. If he so chooses to, it should not be expected. It's baffling that some people aren't grateful for all of the work that has been put into the server, and that some cannot be content with the already absolutely fabulous server we get the privilege of saying we've been playing on for years.

No. ImDeity Kingdoms is not, and will most likely not ever be as active as it used to be. Yes, map resets in the past have been a leading cause of losing players. Also, yes, I'm sure new features would draw in more active players. However this server isn't based off of loads and loads of new things being added on a monthly basis. This server is based off of the community, and that is why we are currently one of the longest lasting Minecraft servers out there now.

I'd be interested to see you make a server as successful.

6. tefphoenix

tefphoenix

• Sponsor
    In-Game Name:
    tefphoenix
    He is correct however about a lot of long time players no longer very active as they're waiting for a reset. I think Deity is the only person that they would listen to at this stage. If he says a reset isn't imminent; that would help.

7. Qazz

Qazz

• Sponsor
    In-Game Name:
    Qazz
    I'm aware that it's frowned upon to talk about, but a ridiculous amount of ImDeity veterans have been banned for varying reasons. The reason behind this comes down to the stupidity of theirs that we were to blind to see in years prior.

As far as any plausibility of a map reset goes, the staff (who speak for ImDeity in his absence) have repeatedly said to the player base that "There is no map reset planned in the foreseeable future." If there were a map reset planned, we would be informed of such in a relatively timely fashion. We have the last two times, so there is no reason we wouldn't be a third time. If the only reason that some are playing is in hope of a map reset, and they cannot find the time to wait for the server they claim to adore to have this, then they do not belong here. A map reset is not necessary for a good time on this server, and one is far from being needed. The staff has said repeatedly that there will be no reset in the foreseeable future, and they are speaking in Deity's absence. I would take their word for it, being that the staff would be the first to know.

8. BarryX15

BarryX15

• Sponsor
    In-Game Name:
    BarryX15
    Moji, although i understand why you are concerned about the lack of population, you are wrong. It is back to school time, the least busy time of the year, and we experienced this decline of activity year ago and two years ago as well. That time i was asking and complaining about the same things you are now, and it took me a while to understand this lifecycle. What i dont understand is why it is YOU complaining, you are here for over three years, longer than me, and you must have seen the same thing happening every year too - i would understand Melvin or Niall having these questions about lack of population as they havent been here for so long, but you as a veteran must know this happens every year.

How is Stalingrad? For us who started towns and are serious about playing here and helping the community, there is no break possible as the town activity is determined by mayor's activity. The only way how to keep the server alive is to keep towns alive and you cannot keep your town alive by playing a lot of World of Warcraft. And if Blizzard told they "will not do anything" in upcoming 14 months, its the opposite of what Mojang is doing, getting the 1.8 update ready. Plenty of new things are coming and we will need plenty of patience to wait for admins to overcome fixing plugins. I am excited to see new materials and im excited to replace some old stuff with new one. The server is made the way players make it, we dont and should not wait for admins to update/change something when there is still plenty of things to build. If you dont like playing this way, may The Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog slay you as soon as the 1.8 update comes.

Waiting for a reset? Why? I heard about Skyhold waiting but first, i dont know if its true and second, if its true i dont think it helps them. If they see no point in developing the town, Creative World still works. Yes its laggy and we can #blametaco but with some patience we can still build and prepare new ideas, not mentioning that once you need to rank up in Creative in order to get next Craftsman rank, it can be endless waiting. Oh let me complain too. I would like to see more reviewers for higher creative ranks as over a month of waiting for two comments really kills the activity.

To end the waiting for a reset, my opinion is:
    There will be no map reset for Main World in at least one year. Whoever is being inactive and waiting for a reset is making a huge mistake.

Why do i think so: If we dont have a serious reason for a reset, we shouldnt have one. It is based on experience from PvP World which has been reset just to reset inventories, money etc. and have new map with 1.7 biomes. Okay, so we have new biomes there but there is the same spawn, the same plugins, there is little to no change in the way how the world works. And lets be honest, landscape isnt the reason to play pvp. So there must be some very important reason to reset the Main World.

What reason?
    - data storage disaster. Unlikely to happen. If some map chunks are lost, they can be easily regenerated, we saw that before when some dead/inactive towns have been deleted or when there was a wilderness cleanup. In towns there may be some accidental rollbacks but nothing major.
    - plugin crash. It is possible that my prediction will be wrong because inner changes in 1.8 will be so massive that our plugins will not fit, but this map survived 1.4, 1.5, 1.6 and 1.7 updates already. Some times it took few weeks and i expect that 1.8 will take long time but in the end our current Main World can stay.
    - Minecraft feature that would make the current map obsolete. But what feature? New blocks will always be obtainable in mining world and i doubt there would be any biome-specific feature that we would need in Main World.

The only valid reason to reset the map is some new feature developed on the server:
    - DeityMMO to replace currently useless MCMMO. As much as i used to defend MCMMO, it has been made obsolete by vanilla features - mining speed increase is surpassed by Efficiency enchant, double drops by Fortune enchant, rare drops.... Do you remember how we used to harvest glowstone? If you dont want to pay 50 dei in DeityShop, go hunt witches. Fall damage? another enchant... Combat skills? Seriously, getting a Power 5 bow is no problem, neither is getting a chest of arrows. My alt account recently got level 198 in repair skill, just 2 levels under the level cap - but its still useless with cheap diamonds everywhere. Plus the basic concept of MCMMO when you keep your achievements forever means the effort will gradually slow down. So if i am talking about DeityMMO skill system, we need 1. some ideas for skills and 2. someone to do all the coding - and it would take a lot of time to make this kind of plugin working fluently. I dont expect anything like this happening in next year.
    - New features in Kingdoms/Classes. This development can slowly go on and upgrades in Kingdoms can come gradually with no need to reset the map. Do you want outposts, do you want shop plots, do you want more blocks to be placed by craftsmen, do you want more noble salary? Everything can be done with no map reset, the only thing we have to be careful about is - will these features help us? For example the shop plot - if in old /mall there were 40 shops of 5x5x5 blocks size generating awful amount of lag, i can guarantee you that 16x16x256 shop plot in town will crash your client immediately after it loads it. More than coding, this needs thinking of possible advantages and damages.

My ideal way of playing in the future:
    1. Safe 1.8 update and as few restrictions as possible. Let me guess, slime blocks wont be able to be placed until we will be able to check all its mechanics. On the other hand, new materials are awesome building resources. I hope we will have 1.8 in October at most (dont tell me there is a week to official release, i want to use 1.8 blocks here in creative, not in singleplayer).
    2. Current map cleanup to be ready for christmas time with more new people coming. This involves admins regenerating of chunks in wilderness and deleting inactive towns as well as town staff plot cleanups in active towns.
    3. Donator/sponsor perks review, changes, tweaks. For example, do we gold/diamond/sponsor donors need set of tools 4 times per day? One per day is more than enough imo, it can bring the value of diamonds a bit higher.
    4. Development of ideas how the server should work, review of difficulties and possible dangers. We know there are some ideas already but putting them together and especially removing problematic ones requires plenty of effort. Coding of new features gradually rather than having some huge updates.
    5. Seeing long-time town survival, fight against taxes. If you remember previous map, BV being the superior town, last month or two was just downhill for it and it wouldnt survive more than half year longer even when having 300k in the town bank by the time of the reset. Now Doha, Eclipse, Anvil and other big towns are on top of the hill and the question is, will they keep on top for long time? Will they be able to survive at least? I am very interested in seeing this so please, give this map some more time.
    6. More minecraft updates, more new blocks to build with, more new mobs to fight or tame.
    7. Planning new town ideas for after-the-reset time, whenever it happens. Yes, i am saying this in the same moment when i am saying that the reset will take a long time. I am doing it already, just to be prepared, to have everything perfect, and meanwhile i still keep playing, supplying my shop and bringing ideas. I know for a fact that after a reset i am going to retire from being a mayor so i will start a small town just for myself and pass the great town community to someone who can keep it up, then i can finally derp around with no worries and be happy.
    8. The reset. Whether it will happen in two or five years is not important for me.

9. Mojinax

Mojinax

• VIP
    In-Game Name:
    Mojinax
    If I could, I'd like to suggest a working model. You keep us updated at least once a month on what is going on behind the scenes
    If you mistake my concern for ungratefulness, you're sorely mistaken. People donate thousands of dollars and my time here is a testament to my gratefulness for Deity. But that doesn't mean I can't complain or wish a few things would change. If you honestly look at this server and say it is perfect, I'd ask you to look again. It's not the player's faults that they're bored. Barry I know you could go on 3 more years without anything interesting from Mojang or Deity and you'd be just happy doing so. You have the patience and your love for the game is building - whether that be buildings, friendships, or towns. What tells me this? The fact that I've known you for a while and I know your views, and also the fact that you look forward to 1.8 (Mojang creates that) and things being taken away from people on our server. That's like opening all your presents at Christmas and getting school supplies.

Stalingrad is dead. Reason why? Because I realize that I can play other games that have enough current content to keep me happy on a weekly basis, or I can watch Lost. Doing anything but keeping money in my town bank every month is a waste of my time. I've been over the towns making people feel welcome and coddling the new people material, you know that Barry. I'm on your side when it comes to towns retaining people. But right now we're fishing for cod in a swimming pool, and we're lucky to somehow catch a few. I don't get why everyone is anti-blame devs? We all loved it when btarb was around and progress was being made. We all loved the horse market and plugin and other such things he created. And when he left everything fell to shambles. Hell, is horse market even up again? So what I get from this is that people don't want another btarb.

I get it - Deity is working as fast as he can and he too has a personal life. But for many of us our Saturday night includes sitting down and playing some games. You can't blame me for not playing Minecraft anymore. You're wrong, Qazz. The game is more than survival and if you disagree with that you disagree with /spleef, parkour, horse markets, malls, etc. Like I said, I've been watching Lost and one of my favorite episodes is when Hurley builds a golf course to take surviving day-to-day off the mind of the other survivor's just for at least a minute. That's all I'm asking. Throw us a bone.

I ask for change because the current situation makes me uncomfortable. Russians weren't allowed to leave Russia during and long after the times of the French Revolution in hope that they would never learn such a revolution is possible, as Russia itself was in a worse state than France was. People need to step up every once in a while and make a change. If you do not question the man in power, you leave your fate entirely to him. Some are content with the carrot in front of their face and never in their reach. I am not.

10. melvin484

melvin484

In-Game Name:
    TwitchyCake
    *clapclapclapclap*

I do agree with you Mojinax, I also agree with you Qazz. I understand you have faith, but really, for some of us thats not enough. It HAS been on a steady decline, and thats almost fact, and if you can't see that then I don't know whats wrong with you. I have been here for a year, so sure, I don't understand alot of the past stuff. But I can see how boring its gotten. I do like playing with friends, but its not like that anymore. We barely have anybody on and when you do you get bored so fast. I wish for new things, wether it be a reset or a good interaction with us players, deity. We want to have fun again, but sadly its really hard too.

11. Majora_Unmasked

Majora_Unmasked

• Gold
    In-Game Name:
    aCrowLookedAtMe
    There aren't many devs for the server, Deity and Taco are the only active ones as far as I know. All I suggest is one or two more developers, who are generally active and willing to devote some of their town to improve the quality of Kingdoms. Perhaps more people would be attracted if they could retain their horse or know anything about it?

Other than that we could *try* fixing /pvp. Its situation is a bit of a viscious cycle; people won't play because it's apparently unattended with few server resources devoted to it, and it's unattended with few server resources to its name because of the lack of players. I can't speak for anyone else, but the constant lag that bombards /pvp is the reason I no longer play it; personally I would rather not be sent to hub during a battle, and lose for something that was not in my control.

I was going to note how often chat crashes, but it seems that has diminished as of late :)

My two cents,
    -Maj

Gawkan and melvin484 like this.
  12. FaTd33r

FaTd33r

• Gold
    In-Game Name:
    FaTd33r
    Okay, I feel like answering on this post, since no other staff members did yet. Don't think I'm being rude, I'm just stating things ;) and Remember, by "we", I speak of the whole staff team.
    First off, I saw in your post that you're kind of comparing our server to the game World of Warcraft and their maker, Blizzard. Sadly, we're not like them. Here's why:
    -World of Warcraft has around 8 million subscribed players (I do not count the amount of accounts created, which would make no sense here); we have almost 47'000 registered users on our forums, where less than 1/100 is active.
    -Blizzard has a dedicated team of developers/programmers that are actively working on new content. We have 2 active programmers, like Majora stated, ImDeity and Kill3rTaco. It seems rather logic if you're wondering why we don't have a lot of things coming out of these two person's work.
    The quote itself seems a bit out of context, but from your post, this statement is false. Frankly, have you seen a lot of people showing their skills in coding/programming on the forums? A few are doing their best, but it is to Deity to decide whether or not they will be chosen to be part of the Dev group.
    -Blizzard is making money out of their games; we can barely pay the server databases with donations. Yet, we are still running it, because we want the users to have a good time, even if it doesn't seem like it to everyone's eyes.

Forward to the next things: Weekly updates to keep players updated on what's happening.
    We are doing what we can to show information about the different things that are happening; yet, even us are not completely aware of the plugins development. Would you like us to lie on things that we don't know about?
    Though, the idea is great and as for myself, I would like to have information from the staff if I were not part of the moderator team. This can be worked on, but don't quote me on that, I don't know if it'll happen sooner or later.

Next,To everyone's concern about the server reset, Barry is right:
    All the reasons he quoted in his post are correct (any staff member, feel free to correct me if I am wrong). I don't see a reset in the horizon like a ship lost on the ocean can't see land.

Again, for the daily players on the server that has been reduced a lot in a year or two, it is to me, kind of normal. Every server has their population's peak, ups and downs, or whatever you want to call these. Our peak has been passed some time ago already, but in these 100+ players, how much of them lasted longer than a month, being active? It sure is scary to see that we went from 100/200 players to between 20 and 30 players daily. I know it sounds rubbish in this condition, but I always told myself "Quality over Quantity".

To end up my post, I'd like to see what other players are thinking about this subject. It is useful for us, and many suggestions are coming from these threads. It helps us to put things how they should be. Please,
    [​IMG]
    Remember, these are my thoughts spoken from a moderator and a player's view.
    Thanks to you,
    Deer.

NOTA: I will do my best to answer back, but I cannot guarantee direct answers.

Qazz, BarryX15, asdfjkll and 4 others like this.
  13. Mojinax

Mojinax

• VIP
    In-Game Name:
    Mojinax
    Someone yesterday said to me "Quality over quantity". The truth is that quality amasses quantity. I've got the answer I sought from this, though. Not the answer I had hoped for, but an answer.

melvin484 likes this.
  14. thejacoborg

thejacoborg

• Gold
    In-Game Name:
    thejacoborg
    It's easy to blame on stagnation what is caused by a natural boredom that develops over time. No matter how much work deity and the server staff continuously put into making the server better, after hundreds of hours online, it's hard to expect the same joy as when you first started. There is very little we can do to change that. And to those speculating about resets, take a look at this thread from April of 2013; 16 months ago people were doing the same thing.

melvin484 and Majora_Unmasked like this.
  15. Mojinax

Mojinax

• VIP
    In-Game Name:
    Mojinax
    Say you have a fish tank. The owner of the tank replaces the water filter every month (think Finding Neemo). But for some reason, the owner has let the filter go without replacing it for two months now. The water is turning green and fish are dying. Is it fair to blame the fish for dirtying the water or is it the owner's fault for not changing the filter?

So if you're the owner in this situation, you can either make the fish stop pooping somehow, replace the filter, or get rid of the fish tank altogether. We've ran our course on the content Deity and Mojang has provided us. It's not natural boredom. Natural boredom is when I go to play league because I've had enough of minecraft for the day.

This is pure and simple stringing us along, intentional or unintentional. And if people were complaining SIXTEEN months ago - nearly a year and a half ago about this stuff, why should it be put off now? To put it in retrospect, it would be like the guy in 127 Hours intentionally breaking his arm (post 16 months ago) compared to after he completely cut it of (now). How can you say it like it is ONLY 16 months of nothing new? We've actually lost content in that time, too. Are you seriously that blind? That statement makes what lemmings do seem justifiable and sane.

Mind blown.

melvin484 likes this.
  16. Sephronia

Sephronia

• Sponsor
    In-Game Name:
    Sephronia
    Hi all,

*wall of text crits you for zomgbbqsauce damage, you die*

(Beaten by Deer, gets out shotgun)

I warn against this turning into a blame/bashing thread. This is not THEM (Staff) Versus US (Players) or any other configuration. We are all players here and we all love this server.

Firstly, I would like to thank Mojinax for taking both the time and the interest in bringing this up. He and I have various conflicts of personality, but he has always been forthright in voicing his concerns/opinions in a manner which is usually thoughtful. I would also like to encourage everyone to voice their concerns/opinions regarding the server in a similar constructive manner, and thank those that have.

Other people have and will respond with posts more eloquently and thoroughly than I can (Qazz, Barry, Deer), but I will do my best as a player and a Mod.

After a lengthy discussion with Mojinax yesterday, having spoken to Taco and various others, and reflecting on people's concerns, I would like to reiterate my opinion. I have noticed seemingly declining active players when I'm online. Am I concerned? No. Why? Because, from what I've seen, Deity isn't concerned and because, in my view, this is part of the natural cycle of a server, especially one like ours. Does that mean these concerns aren't valid? No. These concerns about dying server, not enough content, not being informed etc pop up every now and again, so I've noticed. These are just some that I've found. I'm sure there are more and I suggest people read all the way through those threads please.

Repopulate ImDeity Kingdoms - Legoazurp's post, August 2014.
    Increasing Server Population
    Maybe A New Map
    Player Based Council - Link to Deity's response.
    Main World Reset - Old thread, 2012.

From my conversation with Mojinax, main concerns were:

1) No new content.
    New content takes time. It takes people making worthwhile suggestions, investigating if it can be done, weighing up the pros and cons, putting it to Deity, seeing if he likes it AND then it takes the actual coding. We have two Devs at the moment. Deity and Taco, and I'm sorry, but they have real lives. I'm not a coder, but I'm pretty sure it's a hard job. Our plugins are custom, and very high quality. They can also break when Mojang puts out an update...

2) No information.
    Your first port of call should be ImDeity's status page! You should also be checking Kill3rTaco's status page. If you aren't following them, you dang well should be, as well as the staff. When we know stuff, we post it. We have the Announcements forum and every time there's a major update, it's posted there. There's also the Dev Blog, which sadly has fallen way off due to Btarb24 going MIA and a drought of Devs (Sorry Taco). The server staff pass on what we know, and are allowed to pass on. Unfortunately, I am not often online at the same time that most of the staff are on, and I pretty much miss 99% of meetings. Can we do better? Yes we can.

3) Not enough Devs
    The server staff, Devs, Mods, Snr Mods, Head Mod, Sub-Admins, Admins, Deity himself, give their time, attention and energy out of love for the server. We are players first, staff second. We aren't paid. How would we even approach that...? What's the base rate for a Dev...? Should other server staff get paid too...? Why/why not..? Where's this money going to come from...? You say the Donors would be happy to pay. Some may be happy to donate more, some may not. All donations are gratefully appreciated, as they help offset the costs that Deity pays to run it. We are not going to coerce people into donating and asking people to pay to play is a bad idea.

I would love to see more Devs. I would also love if I could code but I don't have the time nor inclination to learn. The sad truth is, we just don't have enough people apply to be a Dev on the forums here. I don't understand enough about coding etc to give a totally informed opinion but from what I understand, Deity and Taco don't have the time to teach people how to code so it fits in with our plugins.

4) People are bored
    This links up with 1) pretty much, however the main point is that it's the nature of gaming and I find it somewhat silly. This map has been going on for how long now...? A year, a year and a half...? I cannot remember exactly. I'm sure someone else will though. All games have a limited amount of playability, dependant on various factors, friends etc. If I'm bored with an activity, I take a break to recharge. Reminds me of something I've often thought. 'Only boring people get bored'.

I used to log into WoW every day and play for 8+ hours. Guess what happened...? I maxed out my character's gear/professions etc and eventually lost motivation to play. Did I complete 100% of the content...? Nope, but felt like I had done everything anyway. Is that the game's fault? Nope. Was my own fault. There was still heaps of stuff to do. I just didn't go and do it because I didn't feel like it. People rush to new content, play the crap out of it until it's old, forget about the other stuff that isn't finished and become bored.

Same with the server. It's completely natural that a Towny based server will have limited lifespan for each map. It's the nature of the main server. We are town building based and we are also restricted by Mojang's updates breaking our plugins.

We cannot, and do not, hope nor wish to compete with the huge, professional Mini-game servers (Re: Blizzard's WoW comparison).

Creative Server - Has lag issues which need to be addressed. Has been noted by staff. Last I checked, not everyone was Rank 5. Heck, I'm only Rank 1. Get creative!

FTB Server - Doesn't really count as new content, since it isn't 'made' by us, but is still something else to do. Declining population due to the nature of the mod pack and the fact that some people feel that it's more fun to ruin other people's fun.

PvP Server - Has major issues which need to be addressed, lagging, corruption etc as mentioned by Majora. Has been noted by staff.

In closing, I see this as a necessary part of the server's life cycle. This too shall pass.

TL;DR - Is the sky falling? No. Is the server dying? No. Are boring people bored? Yes. Will that offend some people? Yes. Will that change anything? No. What should we do? I dunno, make a suggestion, run it past the staff to Deity. See what happens.

Also TL;DR - Waiting on 1.8, updates break plugins, coding is hard and takes time. RL comes first. No monies for paying people. This is not a democracy. This is Deity's private server. He pays to run it, he's the boss. People -donate- because they want to. We don't pay to play here.

Many thanks,
    Seph

(Please note, all opinions contained within are personal and should not be taken as staff decree. All statements can be rendered null and void if Deity says so. Feel free to correct me)

Micklen, asdfjkll, Qazz and 5 others like this.
  17. Mojinax

Mojinax

• VIP
    In-Game Name:
    Mojinax
    You say it's a normal cycle like it's okay... A slave picks a rock up, a slave puts a rock down. That's a cycle - that doesn't mean it's justified. I don't want to be part of any cycle that involves starving people of content and shrugging it off on a normal basis. You use it all as an excuse to halt any change and to put in an effort.

And so I'm going to stop trying. It's a dictatorship and I'm not fine with how things are run even though I too want the best for this server. I hope to see you all in the future.

maxwell25937, xKade and melvin484 like this.
  18. Sephronia

Sephronia

• Sponsor
    In-Game Name:
    Sephronia
    Hi Mojinax,

Please see my above post and reread. Who's halting change...? You keep using analogies that are emotionally loaded to try to make it sound like the big bad server staff hate the server and want it to die. Last I checked, I play here too. I have just as much to lose as you.

As I, and other people have said, numerous times, new content takes time. I don't see you out there making new content, just demanding. How many times can we beg for patience...? Please, continue to put pressure on people to fulfil your expectations in a entitled, whiney way. That's very productive.

Many thanks,
    Seph

19. super_soup

super_soup

In-Game Name:
    super_soup
    I think people should just let go of the past, because it's exactly that. The past. Who cares if we don't have 200 people on 24/7. Is that all this server is to you? A competition? A trophy so that you can declare you are part of the biggest server ever? After being a member for 2+ years, I can say that although many people don't play anymore, other new people get on and find the server amazing. How many of the 200 people did you know well? To be honest, I'd rather have only 20 players and be the best of chums than have 200 people and only know a few of them. As someone up there said (to much text to find who) quality over quantity.

I think that people who want a map reset should stick to creative, where you can do your own. Personally, I don't see why a map reset is so great. You spend two years building up a house and a community, and then your just happy for that to be wiped? I don't want to loose the map, because all of the places I know are good.

Finally, blaming the mods for this isn't good. They work hard to make this server enjoyable, and you guys just want want want and can't be happy with what you've got. If I were a mod, I would be put off if no one takes what I made.

Change is natural, everyone changes preferences. And if people stop coming on and the server does stop, well then there's nothing the mods can do.

Rant over.

20. SaintThunder

SaintThunder

• Sponsor
    In-Game Name:
    SaintThunder
    So, I am just going to type here and not quote anything even though I will directly referring to things.

Aside from Mojinax using emotionally compelling, but not logically argued, analogies - yes, I can nit pick on your arguments if I wanted and tear that apart, but there are better things and points to be addressing - the point is made. The server is currently stagnant. There are many causes for this, some are pretty lame and others are actual issues that need to be resolved. Some of these issues lie in the background where only ImDeity and a few others can see these things (staff are not always included).

So let me talk about UPDATES for a moment. I know near enough to fact Deity is constantly improving his coding skills. I also know that Deity is the type of person who would rather spend his time coding updates and fixes rather than explain what he is doing/updating. I think the only time Deity actually announces updates for the server is when either, a) Something really big is happening that players need to know about, or b) Deity isn't the one doing the majority of the work. Spawn castle and city, built by the build team. Creative, made by Taco. Horsemarket etc made by Btarb. A big thing is, Deity has a life and job outside of this server and is happy to keep this server going. In his spare time, he works on the server. Many other servers and games pay developers to make plugins and all that. Everything done here is solely by volunteer. Developers cost a lot of money to make plugins, even small ones, and the amount of knowledge needed to code for this server isn't an easy thing to achieve, otherwise I would be taking my basics and applying it.

Long story short, it is incredibly unfair and unreasonable of any of us to expect Deity to do everything. There are plenty of things that we can expect to hold Deity to do, and he does a lot of that and more. But server staff exists for a reason, as a defensive front. Yes, Mojinax and all others, this server is a dictatorship. Deity has final say, period, end of story. But because we associate the word dictator with such negative connotations, we tend to overlook its actual meaning. Deity is willing to hear players thoughts and feedback. Understand though, sever staff are the people in the middle. Deity has us in our positions to not just enforce rules, but also act as filters and buffers. Unless there is a problem only Deity can fix, you have to go through at least one of us. It is usually safe to send complaints/feedback through more than one staff member (assuming it is something that shouldn't/doesn't need to go on the forums). We talk with each other, and on a few occasions we all get along, so don't worry about stepping on anybodies toes. Speaking of stepping on peoples toes! Staff is a defensive front, put in place to absorb all the hate and block out the rule breakers and not nice individuals. A lot of people will post in the SUGGESTIONS, and the moment a staff member posts, everyone else loses interest. C'mon, people! As staff, we are still players, we have thoughts and ideas about things too! We have opinions! Our word is only law when it comes to rules, everything else is up to discussion (unless Deity gives a response about something that we then relay. Note: Deity can change his mind about things and will often make a decision and forget about and unintentionally reverse his position later on, causing more mod hate), so please, please, if you have something to say, say it. Even if it goes against the expressed opinion of a mod, say it. There are several of us, we all read the forums every now and again, we can reverse things, we can enforce rules against other moderators, etc. I hope to see some people break out of that habit and talk more. It makes the community nicer, provided rules don't get broken (all complaints go to Gwenyhwar).

This is a lot longer than I wanted it to be, but my recent thought revival (made possible by the family house thread in suggestions) is that I notice a lot of towns would like to make big builds, but don't because it becomes disheartening when things get destroyed and looted, but there isn't enough funds to buy the plots to protect these builds. Protection stones aren't always conducive to group builds, and sometimes waiting for that rollback just kills the desire to do things. So I am hoping that people get together, or sit down alone, whatever floats your boat, and figure out ways that the server could potentially accomplish being more accommodating of big town builds. Put it into suggestions if I don't get around to making it at some point later.

So, thank you all for reading that made it this far. I am a player also, and I want to see this server do well. My interest in playing on the server waxes and wanes as I get motivation/ideas to build new things. The cycle gets better as I identify how much I can do before overwhelming myself and killing my enthusiasm with a project by the sheer size of it. I am learning how to take things one at a time more and more, and that helps keep me coming back. I am not an overly social person, so I don't know too much in that area. I'm sure the more social people can point out a few problems or have solutions that we can all discuss together in that field. And yeah... I guess I'm done for now...