1. Play on the ImDeity Minecraft Multiplayer server -- Goto the "Multiplayer" section of Minecraft and type "mc.imdeity.com" to join!
    Dismiss Notice

Make ImDeity Great Again! - FTB

Discussion in 'Kingdoms General' started by Mojinax, May 2, 2016.

1. Mojinax

Mojinax

• VIP
    In-Game Name:
    Mojinax
    I'd like to make a proposal. It's been a year and a half since the last map reset - the only thing that brings people back en masse. During this time, even though all of our past work is deleted, we all come together to rebuild again and we're actually happy for it. It gives us something new, and something to worry about. It gives us the chance to start a monopoly, or a quaint little town for ourselves and a few friends. Over the resets we've had, there has not been one that has given us an explosion of new content. The last map reset gave a much needed update to the Kingdoms plugin, and finally updated the server to 1.8. When looked at in retrospect - nothing interesting. Useful? Sure. But it couldn't keep the average player around for months on end. That's where I hope we can change, and continue to change.

FTB was released 2 years ago for ImDeity, and players took to playing it like moths to light. But it took no more than 6 months for it to go down. The reason? It seems the consensus is that copious amounts of griefing, drama, and PvP sent people away and scared others from playing to begin with. The followup reason, one I believe to be a lesser reason, is because people got bored of it. From my point of view, FTB has endless amounts of content - much which is locked behind other amounts of content. It's very hard to get bored of, and I think a lot of people just got discouraged by the fact that so little people were on due to them being driven away. This in turn caused others to leave, and because of that, there was a slow but steady decline in the server. This might have been the downfall of the server, but the death of the server was due to technical difficulties - it kind of just shut down, or so I'm told. Since then there has been a lot of people who want it back.

But everything takes time - something Deity doesn't have a lot of, nor would he want to spend his time doing boring things like setting up a server or repairing issues with the server. Yet he "has" to if he wants to server to have an upward trend, and to revitalize the server. So this is where I make my proposal; stop working on main and begin working on integrating towny/factions with FTB.

Why? Like I said earlier, FTB has INSANE amounts of content. When and if the server were to open, it would basically be like a map reset for us (which would bring large amounts of people back), but this time with a huge amount of new content - a real reason to play and stick around. But to go further - why not just work on 1.9 and possibly another map reset? Content. Content content content. The reason our server and others like us aren't fairing so well is because Towny is old news - it can't be paired with some mods for an economy and the vanilla minecraft versions and do well anymore. So of the two, which one offers more content - 1.9 or FTB? The version we used, "Magic Farm 2", had about 64 mods that I counted (I think I counted wrong and don't want to double check). Some offer some simple necessities/luxuries, but others offer a HUGE expansive amount of content that synergizes extremely well with each other. However, the version requires that Minecraft be played with version 1.6.4 - several versions back. But when compared FTB - the loss of updates compared to the content FTB provides is tiny. Content is what keeps people around - and FTB takes the cake when it comes to that.

But what about the PvP/griefing issues on the old FTB? Well I suggest that's where Deity allocates his time. Implement towny/factions into FTB that way people have protections. Towny would mean we'd have a non-aggressive server like we do on main, but just with way more content. But factions would allow for some fighting, and with some enforcement we could come up with ways to make it fair for all, and not a situation where one faction gangs up on another while they only have one person online - like requiring factions to declare war and give the other faction 2 days to respond (over the forums publicly). Or we could find a way to disable to "conquering" part of factions, and instead fight wars League of Legends style on a set battlefield (war map equivalents), with a fair amount of people fighting another set of people for items they each put up. For example (a rudimentary one), each faction could put up 500 diamonds, winner takes all. This would prevent battle on the actual server, and would allow those who want to fight and "plunder" the ability to still do so without actually destroying each other's property.

What worked in the past (map resets, game updates, etc.) no longer works. It brings people back for short bursts, and then due to the boring nature of minecraft and the server, everyone leaves again. Would that happen with FTB? Yes. We'd have a large burst of people come to play FTB again, and we should capitalize on that. If we can, we would need to get advertisements or rework our banner on whatever site the votes go to - anything to show that the server is FTB now and that we have a large player base. Eventually the veterans will die out again, and the server will be left with a good chunk of new players that will hopefully stick with ImDeity.

It wouldn't be an easy process, but I think it would be the best for the server. We're clinging to something that most players do not want anymore, but we can still keep it - just offer more with it.

Flaws I did not go in-depth about: Technical Impossibilities (Things that cannot be coded/done). Veterans treating new players in their towns/factions as plots/tax money. Drama that will be kicked up again and will give us a bad appearance.

That's about it. Get rid of main, make FTB our main. Hard work, maybe trust a few people/ask for help, and get it done. We'll have a fun and interesting server to play on for years.

Last edited: May 3, 2016
  2. SosolidClaws

SosolidClaws

• Vip
    In-Game Name:
    SosolidClaws
    I think this is a fantastic concept, but there are some drawbacks to this. Potentially, some people may not be able to download the modpack/play it due to some modpacks being more strenuous on PC's than normal minecraft. Coming from personal experience, I wasn't able to play on the FTB server until I got a new PC, due to my PC being old and outdated. Though I doubt this would be a very large issue, it could possibly affect some players. In addition to this, focusing on a FTB server could cause some conflicts in plugins/grief prevention. There aren't very many plugins for specific modpacks, and grief prevention would be pretty difficult as mods tend to usually add environmentally destructive items/functions into the game. Also, it would call for an entire rewrite of the Deity servers, as we'd be basically starting from a fresh and new standpoint in contrast to the vanilla towny/creative/factions the server is now. Things like the classes, custom crafting, and player economy would have to be entirely redone. Not only that, but because the end and nether are blocked on the main server, and seeing that most modpacks have multiple dimensions, it would cause another conflict between the ability to have dimensions and keeping the grief-free environment. I think this is a great idea, and I would love to see a Deity FTB server again, as Magic Farm 2 was great, but I don't think that everything should be dropped to develop another FTB server, and there are simply just too many issues that would cause the server to be completely different from what it is intended to be. I think that, while vanilla Minecraft can be boring at times, the main towny server has something that most towny servers lack, and provides a pretty fun and interesting atmosphere to new players. Like I said, I would love to play on a FTB server, but I would also like to play on the normal vanilla towny server as well.

tOPIV and BarryX15 like this.
  3. SharpyArcher

SharpyArcher

In-Game Name:
    SharpyArcher
    I think FTB would be fun, if it were a separate world, much like the 1.9 world

4. Hallideadly

Hallideadly

• Sponsor
    In-Game Name:
    Hallideadly
    I would like to suggest - as I believe I have done once before awhile ago, a return of the old with an addition of new.

SkyFactory2, it uses ATlauncher. If that is a problem or not - I do not know.

Miss the old skyblock, but this is far from the old. Just a mere suggestion, and I realize that to implement this would require massive effort no doubt..

Still nice to dream about though. :)

5. heinz_gruber

heinz_gruber

• Sponsor
    In-Game Name:
    heinz_gruber
    I cant believe you stole my Trump-isms for the title........ nice!

Personally i found Infinity Evolved on Ftb to be a lot of fun, would love to try that here with a group of Deity peeps.

But the thought of that combined with towny/kingdoms is exciting indeed, i am sure Btarb will have fun making permissions all of these extra features xD lol

Does this mean implementing classes on FTB too? because imagine how many other abilities certain classes could have with all the extra items in the game.

This allows for a completely new look at the way towny would be played, and i think this is a really good idea as it would attract many old players back to play something entirely new and fresh, and FTB should have enough to keep many of us hooked for a while.

But in my opinion, i dont think Imdeity himself would be able to find the time for a project of this scale, literally i am thinking an entire team would be needed.

Good idea though, it gets the creative juices flowing.

Last edited: May 4, 2016
  6. Vershye

Vershye

• Senior Moderator
    • Diamond
    In-Game Name:
    Vershye
    I've actually been running an Infinity Evolved Expert server on my own pc for a few people and tweaking configs to what would work best if used on Deity's server. Once I've gone through my testing a bit more I'm going to work with Deity to get a server running again.

asdfjkll2 and heinz_gruber like this.
  7. heinz_gruber

heinz_gruber

• Sponsor
    In-Game Name:
    heinz_gruber
    Expert? you drive a hard bargain lol, i like challenging but expert is offputting to me lol, it is challenging enough, but expert just makes all the recipes very resource intensive doesn't it?

8. Vershye

Vershye

• Senior Moderator
    • Diamond
    In-Game Name:
    Vershye
    After playing magic farm 2 and other more hardcore packs I found Infinity pretty easy. That's why we decided to go with expert for the extra challenge.

It doesn't lake surviving harder, just slows down progression.

In infinity I can get to a full ME storage, ender quarries and close to end game equipment in about a week.
    In expert it took me over an hour just to make a sawmill. :) I've actually got quite a few hours in and still don't have my first jetpack.

So it's not that it's a hardcore pack, it just extends the playability of it by making progression more of a challenge.

asdfjkll2, Stephfork and Smartness like this.
  9. Mojinax

Mojinax

• VIP
    In-Game Name:
    Mojinax
    It doesn't have to be Magic Farm 2 again, just a fun form of FTB. Magic Farm was the only one I was ever involved in.

10. MasahiroRina

MasahiroRina

• Gold
    In-Game Name:
    MasahiroRina
    I'm not sure what I could do to help, but let me at least say I like this idea!

However, my computers can't handle the FTB and FTB2 modpacks with anything close to real-time speed, and I am not planning to replace either of them any time soon. :/ Maybe if we added like one or two extra mods, and not the full FTB? But also, consider that whatever mods they use on the Skyblock.net are apparently server-side, and my system handles Skyblock brilliantly.

11. ultrathewolf

ultrathewolf

• Vip
    In-Game Name:
    ultrathewolf
    not everyone's computers can work with skyfactory 2, or other skyblock related modpacks, i have had some problems with playing modpacks cuz of lag and how poorly the server they made for it, i hope that imdeity could come up with a better server then the crappy modpack servers i have saw (he did do a good job for horizons)

12. Mojinax

Mojinax

• VIP
    In-Game Name:
    Mojinax
    I'm not too worried about people being affected by the lag. Don't think it's that big a deal. A very fair amount of people were able to play it when it first came out, and the main thing holding people back from frequently playing it over /main was that it was almost like a mini-game - that /main was the real deal and ftb was just for funsies (not to be taken seriously, and therefore translated to some as not to be played).

13. ultrathewolf

ultrathewolf

• Vip
    In-Game Name:
    ultrathewolf
    which also ment that there wasn't any greifers, (or there was but were too lazy to grief) since it was just for fun and nothing important to everyone or a town happened there, everyone was also getting along and i talked to some people i would have never talked to before, like minibirdie

14. Mojinax

Mojinax

• VIP
    In-Game Name:
    Mojinax
    Very true. I made some very unlikely friends in FTB. There was griefing though, but I'm responsible for some of it XD. Took a few things from an outpost of a few players, but I never destroyed for fun or to upset others. But that's why it would be good to get towny or factions in there - for those who want their stuff protected.

15. ultrathewolf

ultrathewolf

• Vip
    In-Game Name:
    ultrathewolf
    yea but i think it loses some charm with that because if you were raided its cuz you didn't hide well enough not to menton the mystcraft worlds