1. Play on the ImDeity Minecraft Multiplayer server -- Goto the "Multiplayer" section of Minecraft and type "mc.imdeity.com" to join!
    Dismiss Notice

Main world reset(s)

Discussion in 'Suggestions / Ideas' started by BarryX15, July 18, 2012.

?

Do you want regular resets and competition awards for main world?

1. Yes, i like to have fresh start from time to time

28.6%
  2. Yes, i get bored when playing too long on the same map

18.2%
  3. Yes, i want to play game for awards

7.8%
  4. Yes

9.1%
  5. No, i dont want my builds to be deleted

37.7%
  6. No, i dont want to start with empty hands again and again

46.8%
  7. No, every new start means new problems

16.9%
  8. No

23.4%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. BarryX15

BarryX15

• Sponsor
    In-Game Name:
    BarryX15
    THERE WILL BE NO RESET IN NEAR FUTURE, DONT PANIC!!!

If you calmed down enough, you can continue reading :)

Edit July, 19: some improvements to suggestion are here.

Short experience of czech web game Duna Online, inspired by Frank Herbert's Dune: the goal was to be first nation to finish a "project" which meant to accumulate specific amount of score points. Nations could ally and cooperate to raise own score or fight to lower others scores. Once "project" was finished, all scores were set to zero, nations had to recruit members and game started again.

We dont have any mechanism like this, because Minecraft is more like SimCity, which has no "goal" as well. So this suggestion came on my mind:

Main world should be reset on regular basis.
    Not weekly, not monthly, but once a year or half year at least could be okay. More important, it shouldnt be just a map reset, but whole "end of age" with some winning prizes.

Many of us remember the big stir around main world reset in December 2011. We were able to transfer some items and some achievements, other things were lost forever. We can expect some reset in future when map becomes too griefed or too outdated or when too many new plugins and features will have to be set on so all that stir will happen again. Lets make some "rules":

1. Main world reset means clean start
    = no buildings or chests with items are transferred, all towns and kingdoms have to start from scratch. We started new BuenaVista with empty hands and in two weeks we had over 100 residents gathering new stuff and great builds (thanks CT and Strydier).

2. Players are allowed to transfer one inventory
    = inventory is transfered via portal page. Last time it worked almost flawlessly (one downside was that saved inventory became accessible more than two weeks after reset).

3. Old map is still accessible and playable for some time after reset
    = people unable to save inventory before reset can do it after. Everyone can access old map and trade items with other players there to allow them finishing great constructions or whatever they build. Also they can get inspired by old builds for new map. "Some time" should be two months (according to town rules, players inactive for 30 days can be kicked from town but town has to keep their stuff for another 30 days = after 60 days of inactivity they lose their stuff).

4. Mining world is accessible only from new map
    = to prevent transferring items via mining world and to push people from old map to new map. There will be tons of stuff in chests in old world anyways.

5. achievements from old world are awarded
    This is the key part of all resetting suggestion. If each reset-to-reset time is called Age, i would call Zero Age time until Dec 28th 2011 and First Age time since Dec 29th 2011 (for the world we now live in), Second Age should come after another reset (if there will be one) and so on.

After each Age we can count players with:
    = most Quest XPs from all Ages / in last Age
    = most online time through all Ages / during last Age (lol, i can imagine everyone being logged and afk all day just to count up some more time)
    = most Spleef points
    = most Event wins
    = most forum posts made
    = most forum likes received
    = most friendly player (most people added player on ingame friendlist)
    = most Dei
    = most recruited people (for Nobility class)
    = most salary claimed (for Nobility class)
    = greatest construction (for Craftsman class? i think everyone can build and submit Great Construction, not only Craftsmen) - Levi gives everyone some points, lets make them official :) or there can be a poll to vote for greatest construction
    = most money spent on special items placing (for Craftsman class)
    = most shop Dei turnover (for Merchant class)
    = most travelling player (most uses of /t spawn or any spawn/warp command)
    = most land-greedy assistant (most uses of /t claim)
    (and many more)
    note: as MCMMO stats are based on mining world activity, they should not reset with main world reset and they should not be awarded. If MCMMO will be set on in main world, we can think about including some award for MCMMO score too.

Also we can award mayors of towns with:
    = most residents (Biggest town)
    = most claimed plots (Largest town)
    = most minestatus votes (Most active town)
    = most money in town bank (Richest town)
    = most minestatus votes per resident (Most active residents)
    = longest railway (rail blocks placed on town plots)
    = greatest construction (for great constructions placed on town plots, constructions outside towns dont count)
    (Same can be done with kingdoms)

Awards can be:
    = giving special/rare items
    = allowing to do some special quests
    = discount on items in admin shop
    = discount on ranking up
    = discounts on town creating/plot claiming/town tax (for town competition winners probably)
    = discount on special items placement (for Craftsman class)
    = bonus on salary (for Nobility class)
    = discount on shop rent (for Merchant class) - shop rent is not set and i dont think it was working anytime earlier, but maybe...
    There can be either one winner awarded, or first three, or top 10, or everyone who will get over some limit.

6. Reset date can be fixed or vary
    During summer, there are less active players than during winter. So we can have reset in August/September when people are returning from vacations, we can have reset in May/June when people are ending school, or we can have reset in most busy time in December (lets say 15th-20th) so we can get our awards as christmas presents for new map :)
    But fixed reset time can collide with new versions of Minecraft or with new plugins or whatever... so im undecided at this point.

2. thecrazyman11

thecrazyman11

• Vip
    In-Game Name:
    thecrazyman11
    I can see upsides and downsides to this. And upside would be like you said we can get a fresh start and not the same old routine. However many people are currently building many new things for towns and constructions and don't want to lose the. I don't think it matters since some people think when kingdoms 2.0 does come out we have to build new towns anyway

3. angryjukebox

angryjukebox

• Diamond
    In-Game Name:
    Angryjukebox
    Love the idea, barry.

I for one loved the map reset, because at the time I was really bored in my town and wanted to build a new one. The old map became very cluttered, and the current one is starting to get cluttered with the huge towns claiming thousand of plots. The awards idea is great, but some people would get almost all of them.

4. Stephfork

Stephfork

• Sponsor
    In-Game Name:
    Stephfork
    I also love this idea and really enjoyed the discussion in TeamSpeak yesterday about this topic. Great idea and i've always liked the possibility of having a reset once or twice every year, just to keep things fresh and from getting completely filled up. The awards could be an interesting addition, also.

You're always providing great threads and suggestions, Barry. :)
    Now let the reset freak out sessions begin, because as soon as someone says 'reset' everyone goes crazy.

5. SaintThunder

SaintThunder

• Sponsor
    In-Game Name:
    SaintThunder
    I know this will be more of a "cast your vote and we will see the support for this," kinda thing (at least in my mind), but I just want to say some of the reason why I am voting against this. I know that resets will happen, they are inevitable, but I am not big on planned resets in this case.

Big reason #1 (this is my only personal reason, everything after this will be global reasons, I promise): Atlas - a new district in the city of Venice that I am in charge of and working on with help from a couple assistants and residents. This will officially be the first time I will work on anything in minecraft that is the size that it is (a single Atlas statue takes up about 14,000 blocks, one is finished and I have yet to start the second one); the Atlas road way, which I spent a good two hours to design both the road itself and the tunnel, only to have the road design hijacked, but I guess that's okay because it looks better that way anyway; Several hours shearing off the top of a mountain to accommodate the road, ensuring that as people walk on it at its highest point, it will be the tallest thing around; Serenity Park, my current construction in progress, before actually entering Atlas you get to see fountains and trees and clouds and a creepy hand protruding from the ground holding a glass orb... amongst other things; and still yet to come is the actual bowl of Atlas, which will have glowstone going in all eight directions, summing up to the quantity of about 1700 glowstone... at current market price that is 204k. I am by far not a money maker without an admin shop that also buys, and I'm telling you right now, I don't have anywhere near enough to buy all that. But I will be darned if I put all this work into it, just to know I probably won't get to finish it before it disappears. I work very well with interior designs, but taking away my... very tall... very muscular... very stationary babies?! :'(

Reason #2: Failed/Failing towns - I know this is a big concern for quite a few people. And I have a solution, despite it being time consuming. Failed/failing towns, if one can, can be purchased, and all the residents given eviction notices. Once all the active people clear out and the mandatory time runs out, one hits the road block of a ghost town. But someone will have to tear it down, and for people who are always looking for projects/money, that can be step 1a. Tear down the town. Step 1b is optional, but struggles can end here: terraform the remains of the town and make it beautiful. If one wants to build on top of it, step 2 is either build your town on top or your construction, which you would have had to do anyway, and now here is the perfect place plus some room! (Usually). Towns can also be purchased and worked on to leave and wait for someone else to come along and make a town on it, or to make room for another town to expand. Is it work? Yes, and lots of it, but we can have that work and our existing pieces of art.

Reason #3: Work - I know plenty of people who work their butts off in this little slice of paradise we call minecraft, and some are very good at what they do, be it build houses, decorations, landscape, etc. I've also seen plenty of time lapses where someone or a small group of people working on a project will all make something that looks gorgeous on the outside, a town for example, but once you go inside each room has a 4x4 floorspace with stuff on it and each house has maybe two rooms. It is completely unlivable by most minecraft player standards. But the town is just for decoration so it's no big deal. I also see time lapses that are the other way around. While building the keep of a castle, I saw a group do amazing interior work, but once you got outside half the castle was made of cobble. Don't get me wrong, I'm okay with cobble in builds, but to me cobble is crumbly, so it made it look like the entire castle was about to collapse in on itself and just become a pile of rubble. And then their proportioning was off, symmetry, outer walls were just thrown together.
    *sigh*
    I know you've had enough of my rant, but now I will get to the point of the matter. I'm sure there exists plenty of people on this server whose skills are quite specific like some of those timelapses I mentioned. With regular map resets, people will simply build a few things on one map, show it off, get their praise, move on and do it again when the map is new. But if they are stuck with it, they get to examine all aspects of it, what needs improvement, what looks better, how will it stand out? Praise will eventually go away and people whose skills are better in that persons lacking area will provide suggestions, and eventually, you will have a larger group of people who are good at building, period. These people will be able to treasure and appreciate their builds because of the work put in. There are always things to do in the game and out of the game. If one is sitting on minecraft and saying s/he is bored, s/he is actually lazy. There are plenty of in-game projects to do, and if s/he doesn't want to work on them right now, there are books to read, movies to watch, friends to hang out with, there are even other things to do on the computer. There are always things to do, so the time and effort you get to put into your works are important, and helps in many ways, in and out of game. The question is, are people willing to work to feel good about what they can accomplish?

6. strydier

strydier

• Sponsor
    In-Game Name:
    strydier

Lol Barry. Its a VERY good idea. Regardless of whether we do it or not expect the screaming and raging to commence

7. Johndahbomb

Johndahbomb

• Sponsor
    In-Game Name:
    Johndahbomb
    I Agree, A map reset will shake everything up and drain the economy.

thejacoborg likes this.
  8. BurnoutBoz

BurnoutBoz

In-Game Name:
    BurnoutBoz
    If we can't take our builds over then no. I really see no point of resetting it so soon, I mean we're really only intended to build within our plots so whats the issue with people complaining they can't build (when there's clearly loads of space still available), that's the whole reason towns are there for.

"There's no space to build a town!" - I really don't see the issue of people not building where a previous town has closed down; You can still start from scratch and it also saves you the time consuming issue of flattening land. And there is still loadsssssss of space to build a town, and take into account there is a vast majority of water on this world which someone is likely to make the most soon.

"There's nothing to do! I'm only occupied when the world is reset!" - Its likely that more people are going to be active near the start as there's something planned to do/objective, but does it really require a reset? Maybe get a project planned with your town (From my own experience it helped greatly, having some sort of "Plan/ to do list" usually keeps me occupied instead logging in for a few minutes a day). Also, when the next batch of updates arrive such as 1.3, Kingdoms 2.0 and hopefully the next level classes there will be much more to do.

And I also don't see why inventories/dei have to always be wiped/reduced. Shouldn't they try and show some sort of appreciation to their long playing members instead of basically making them somewhat the same as someone who joined a minute ago. I understand it makes a fair playing field and whatnot but the thing is most users spend the majority of their time having to recollect items and earn dei, so having to save all that to purchase a town again will take a while, and by the time this even happens for some the reset would only be around the corner, which will make all that time spent playing a waste.

I don't see other MMO's resetting their games regularly, why should minecraft be any different? If this server needs ways to maintain itself without suitable reasons for a reset ever being an issue.
    1. Keep the user occupied, may seem straight forward to "just add more" but obviously this isn't as straight forward as it seems, even if the ImDeity Development team kept a weekly/monthly log of upcoming content will keep myself and others motivated to play.

2. Keep the game "fresh", this is obviously going to be the most difficult without mentioning a reset, maybe what would work is that when a town is made, a x b land is saved as its previous state before any modifications has taken place (builds, destroying land etc.), When the town is closed there will be 30+ days for the user to collect their items and move elsewhere, after the time is ended the land claimed will return to its initial state which allows people to stop moaning about their being no available land (When I personally don't see destroying and rebuilding an old town land a problem).

3. Always having an objective. Personally there needs to be much more emphasis on the "Survival" aspect of this game, there seriously needs to bring some sort of dangers to those who don't wish to live in towns, or wander away from their town boundaries. I personally see the only current threats of dying on this game is lava and ravines which are a fairly minimal. Mobs need to deal more damage, have more health and be much more of a threat. Also McMMO needs to play a greater factor such as only having x level to do a quest and use certain enchants, Some may say "Urgh, I could play WoW, GW and whatnot to level up! not minecraft!", now remember why those games are successfull and have loads of players and are always returning to play = the player has their own identity and always something to do!

Don't get me wrong I'd like a reset too, but Having to repeat the same process over and over again really will bore myself and others, and eventually give up. Just putting in all that initial effort just for it to be deleted? A little fustrating.

I just read what I wrote, its gone a bit off topic sorry.

9. ngennaro

ngennaro

• Vip
    In-Game Name:
    ngennaro
    Why would we want another reset?

Oh joy achievements! Yippee! Do i really care? No. i want to build what iwant without the fear of getting all my crap reset..I Just want to build without thinking "why build, its all gonna be reset"

Before the reset last time. ceativity just stopped. Yeah people made cool ships, but they lasted only about 3 hours.i want to enjoy them, not think "nice ship, to bad its gonna disappear in a hour"

The map is to cluttered? Move out more. There is a reason they made a huge map for us t use.Go the the edges there is plenty of space.Just because a town is to close to you're ideal spt doesnnt mean we should have a reset. Just get a admin to move it for you.Ask politely.

Another thing. They just added mcmmo.So right after the new spawn is introduced, after everyonne is starting to get what they hav wanted for the past 6 months, you wanna reset it all, their new shops, they're mcmmo levels, their SHOPS. I have waited 8 months for a mall shop.If you think I'm gonna get one just to have it reset next month, you got another thing comin.

If you have problems with the server, do something else. All the new stuff they added has added so much fun.Don't throw it away after so little a time. Treasure it. Earn money, move to another town, whatever it takes. you wan't be bored. i promise that.

ngen

10. Shoe1

Shoe1

• Gold
    In-Game Name:
    Shoe1
    I'm not sure what the fuss is all about for resetting. I'm also not sure why everyone gets all depressed about losing their stuff. It's impossible for me not to get bored with anything I do. Both this world and the previous one I've got bored with. Now I can't really say much since I haven't played a lot on this world, let alone for months, but honestly, I can't bother myself to see the same thing every year. I'd like to see new things every once in awhile. It seems everything built now is done and over with. Why keep it? I thought the fun in the game would disintegrate after owning chests full of diamonds/ores/Mcmmo items and whathaveyou. Doesn't that mean you've accomplished what your goals were? Build a gigantic brilliant fantastic looking build or buildings and stack up on a ton of valuables? Wouldn't you want to start over? If I was in such a position, I would say yes. What am I going to do with all of it? Stare at it for a couple more months? No thanks. If you're too worried about losing it, just download the world using a mod. It's quite simple. Not to mention, what about selling items? Literally every item is cheap as dirt. Because everyone has it, and perhaps even can vote for it. If you think resetting will ruin the economy, then go ahead. Not sure how it will, but whatever. I'd prefer items being worth something when I get it and not just realizing I could just go get it practically for free somewhere else.

Now I never read threads like this nor get involved because its just a bunch of people whining about how great their opinion is. I'm not saying mine is even worth the two cents I'm putting in. I just wish people could come to one conclusion to all this bickering and shut up about it. There's been too many threads like this that just start nonsense. I'm not aiming this at anyone. Especially not at Barry here. The ideas put in the first post will work and I have no problem with them. Of course, a few kinks here and there could be settled to work with the rest, but that shouldn't be a problem. I also have no problem when anything happens, whether it be a week or a year from now. As long as it happens.

To everyone else, just be constructive. Don't bring negativity to the thread. (side note, I skimmed the rest of the posts.) If you haven't, great. That's all I ask. The reset should really happen in my opinion. The idea of being able to still use the old world works for people who are attached to what they have built, or even still are building. It's a win-win, really.

11. chrislow19

chrislow19

In-Game Name:
    chrislow19
    Hell yeah. Torch it all!

Kaninator1 likes this.
  12. Harry_C

Harry_C

• Gold
    In-Game Name:
    Harry_C
    I wouldn't mind a reset in December. But any shorter than yearly I don't think people would enjoy.

But I think one thing could be that Deity could carry over one construction of yours at a fee to the new map. But the builds would have to be inspected and approved as Great Constructions.

joshbmxstar28 likes this.
  13. Johndahbomb

Johndahbomb

• Sponsor
    In-Game Name:
    Johndahbomb
    If you want everything you've built saved forever and ever then play single player or host a server. So yeah a reset for a multiplayer server however is needed sometimes more than a cluttered MC world.

It's a part of a multiplayer server.

14. thecrazyman11

thecrazyman11

• Vip
    In-Game Name:
    thecrazyman11
    It seems we have reached an impact. I have 2 ideas. The horrible idea: we create or use another world that gets resets and the main world doesnt. The good idea: wait until December for a reset

15. SaintThunder

SaintThunder

• Sponsor
    In-Game Name:
    SaintThunder
    In all honesty, if you join a server that has been up for a while, most overtyping there is going to be new for you, but after you play for a while, it is all old. I don't know why people want to reset, why they can't just tear down the old and build something new in its place. Johndabomb hit the nail on the head with suggesting a single-player world. Do I expect Atlas to stick around forever? No. I know that there is either going to be an inevitable reset because of new version incompatibilities, the greatly feared and emotional full server crashes (the few and far between), and other complications. Some can be planned and prepared for, and some can't. If it is a surprise and we all start over because all the map saves down to the backups of the backups of the backups got corrupted, so be it, let's get building. Version updates needing restarts, I want the new version so I can live with losing it. I am not too worried because almost everything of great proportions that I am building is saved in a single player world. I vote no cause I don't want one, and I don't see the big deal destroying something old and making something new in its space. If one happens I will be sad for five seconds, then I will build. It's a game so I expect it all to be lost at some point anyway. I just wanna finish it first :p

Johndahbomb likes this.
  16. Seedy_Slim

Seedy_Slim

• Sponsor
    In-Game Name:
    Seedy_Slim
    All for resets if it includes the ability to update to a newer release of Mojang MC as well (I mean, who wouldn't like another hunger mechanic, hrmmmm?)

Not sure how much work it is for admins, but I do like the idea.

17. strydier

strydier

• Sponsor
    In-Game Name:
    strydier
    I would say I'm one of the people who has the most to lose by a reset. I have 165k dei, 4000 gold ingot in the vault, several double chests full of materials, The large BV castle, my tower home, the city walls around buena vista, etc.

Yet im all for a reset if they want to have one in the near future. The only thing I haven't done in the past 7 months is make my own town.

vanZeben, lilgrubs and Johndahbomb like this.
  18. SaintThunder

SaintThunder

• Sponsor
    In-Game Name:
    SaintThunder
    Well then, ya better step on it before a reset happens. You auto win all the achievements :p

19. Bilko

Bilko

• Sponsor
    In-Game Name:
    bilko100
    I don't really play MMOs however I believe most MMOs don't have a map that is continually being changed by players. That's why Minecraft should be different, the map is getting old, you wouldn't pay a single player world for 6-7 months (I certain wouldn't) and it's the same for multiplayer.

How is waiting for December any better than doing it sooner? If anything it's worse as people will have built more structures and greater things. 6 months seems like a good time frame... The world is there long enough for people to enjoy it but not there long enough so people get attached to it.

Another point is, everybody is equal in a map reset. I realise that some people have built larger builds than others, but whether you've built a statue and castle, or a cobble cube, you love it just the same. Everyone has to go through the fact they will lose their items/builds therefore I don't really see that as a valid argument as to why the map shouldn't be reset.

Okay, don't collect achievements, I know I will though as it's something to do when you've finished a project and are a little bored.

Your point about the map being cluttered is fair, however there are lots of small build scattered everywhere, even on the edge of the map and that makes creating a town difficult, especially one that you want to grow.

You don't want to pay for a shop and have it reset? Why not? You'll lose the money/items anyway so you may as well have fun with it. Think of it as training for if a map reset happens and you open up a long term shop :p

All of the 'stuff' they've added is fun and will be fun in a new world as well. Shops, auto spleef and mcmmo will all make for a more interesting startup than last time.

Shoe's point about the economy is spot on! A map reset will not ruin the economy as there will be no economy to ruin. The economy will be made once again with different items selling for different prices to what they do currently. It will be crafted by the players and hugely driven by Vendors with their shops, and that is one reason I believe there should be a reset. By allowing Vendors to have shops now, the economy will only fall into ruin. This is evident by the recent glowstone trade. Pieces of glowstone were selling for 300 dei each! Then the shop opened and sold them for 120 dei. Those of us who were online when mcMMO was added went excavating immediately and gathered glowstone. I sold it for 110 dei a piece and now, after a week or so can only sell it for 70-80 dei a piece. That will only continue as more and more people start digging and gathering the material. Put it in a mall and the competition will push it to 20 a piece! That goes for every material out there. And that is why there must be a reset, so there can be a clean economy to work on. Lords will have all the power in towns in Kingdoms 2.0, therefore I think it's only fair that Vendors be allowed to have a new economy to work with. Craftsmen? They will also benefit from a rest as towns will require mass water and rails to be placed once more.

Summing up: A map reset will be good for ImDeity as it will clean the map up, clean the economy up and provide a massive benefit to each of the three classes.

Bilko

ngennaro and Johndahbomb like this.
  20. Johndahbomb

Johndahbomb

• Sponsor
    In-Game Name:
    Johndahbomb
    As I've stated before a reset how go oh so we'll with kingdoms 2.0. What is different with the new version will create better kingdom/town spacing. It will look nicer and feel cleaner. I'm down for a reset because it will do a lot more good for the new plugins to come.