1. Play on the ImDeity Minecraft Multiplayer server -- Goto the "Multiplayer" section of Minecraft and type "mc.imdeity.com" to join!
    Dismiss Notice

Lightswitch signs

Discussion in 'Suggestions / Ideas' started by BarryX15, April 20, 2015.

1. BarryX15

BarryX15

• Sponsor
    In-Game Name:
    BarryX15
    We used to have lightswitch signs in craftbook plugin working on 2012 map, but we have nothing like that atm.
    Some redstone lamps need massive wiring to bring power from lever/switch to the lamp. Some cannot even be powered at all if we want to hide wires.
    What if there would be a sign working as "wireless" switch, replacing minecraft:redstone_lamp blocks with minecraft:lit_redstone_lamp blocks?

Four lines of sign could be:
    [text] = any text or empty
    Lightswitch
    [text] = any text or empty
    <range> = how far away should the switch reach (possibly rising limit depending on craftsman level)

iSquared, Trekar_Sil, CiljaW and 5 others like this.
  2. btarb24

btarb24

• Developer
    • Sponsor
    In-Game Name:
    btarb24
    Sure i can add that to the list to check out. likely at least a month away.

3. btarb24

btarb24

• Developer
    • Sponsor
    In-Game Name:
    btarb24
    Is a sign preferred? It seems to me that it'd be more fun to do /lightswitch 20 and then flick the switch. From that point in time onward it would turn on any lamps within 20 blocks. To disable the switch you'd just break it and put it back on the wall again.

It could also do something like /lightswitch 10 5. Then any lamps horizontally within 10 blocks and no more than 5 blocks above the switch would turn on. This way you're not turning on the lights on the floor above you.

The downfall to /lightswitch instead of a sign is that you wouldn't know which switches are active. But signs are ugly so that is a decent drawback in my eyes.

Thoughts?

Qazz, iSquared, BarryX15 and 3 others like this.
  4. zoroa_14

zoroa_14

In-Game Name:
    zoroa_14
    I really love the sound of that /lightswitch command. It'd certainly allow for a much easier time setting up lighting in a large house. Don't know about anyone else but I'd definitely choose the command over the sign.

5. BarryX15

BarryX15

• Sponsor
    In-Game Name:
    BarryX15
    My only objection against using of a command is that the idea was to give craftsmen more perks = only they can place sign (thus the restriction of range depending on their rank) and everyone else can click it. Similarly to this suggestion, extending the lift sign plugin.

EDIT - a bit more complicated idea for range limits:
    - lightswitch would work only on lamps in one chunk to prevent switching your neighbor's lamps.
    - range 10 for all dicrections, range 10 5 for horizontal and up directions, range 10 5 2 for horizontal, up and down direction (if you use floor lights but have a sign in eye level)

EDIT2 - testing /fill command in singleplayer, the lit_redstone_lamp turns off if there is no power source. I wonder if this plugin could overcome it.

Last edited: April 21, 2015
    Trekar_Sil likes this.
  6. btarb24

btarb24

• Developer
    • Sponsor
    In-Game Name:
    btarb24
    I still intended there to be a Craftsman requirement even though it would be a command rather than a sign. Nobles and merchants wouldn't even see the /lightswitch command and would get an error if they tried it.

I haven't actually tried building anything yet, but i foresee these implementation routes. I'm torn between route 1 and 4. Leaning towards route 4 to avoid the problem of accidentally affecting neighbors and adjacent rooms.
    1. Replace all REDSTONE_LAMP_OFF blocks in the desired range with REDSTONE_LAMP_ON blocks.
      • They would turn off if the block received an update. Block updates naturally happen when right clicking the block, the power state changes, you put a new block next to it, or i think if water hits it.
    2. Force you to have a hidden lever attached to the lamp. When you switch on the master switch it would turn on any levers on the redstone lamps in the desired range.
      • This has the benefit of being immune to block updates, but makes it more complex for the craftsman to layout the room (due to hiding switches on each lamp)
    3. I could do a combo of both 1&2. It will replace all lamps with ON. And if it finds a switch it attached to the lamp it will turn it on for you to make it immune to block updates.
    4. Type /lightswitch (requires you hold nothing in your hand) -> hit the switch -> right-click all lamps you want to affect -> change which inventory slot is in your hand to commit changes (roll your mouse wheel). I would give you instructions in chat for each step of the process.
      1. This has the benefit of choosing exactly which lamps you want to affect. Craftsman levels can affect the range and also the quantity of lamps.

If we go routes 1,2 or 3 then the switch would check who owned the current plot. It would then only turn on lamps that are on plots owned by the same person. This generally solves the problem of accidentally turning on your neighbor's lights. But does not solve the problem of turning on the adjacent room's lights.

I could also try to detect where your walls are to stop it from accidentally affecting adjacent rooms - but that sounds like it will be prone to false positives. It seems easier to have you just tell me exactly which lights you want to affect (which is route 4).

Sephronia and CiljaW like this.
  7. Vershye

Vershye

• Senior Moderator
    • Diamond
    In-Game Name:
    Vershye
    This is exactly how another plugin that we were thinking of trying to implement last year sometime did it. But it never updated to the MC version we were using so we could use it.

I think from how it would work that this would be the best route.

Edit: I think this is the one I was thinking of. http://dev.bukkit.org/bukkit-plugins/lights-plugin/

btarb24 likes this.
  8. btarb24

btarb24

• Developer
    • Sponsor
    In-Game Name:
    btarb24
    Nice, thaks for the link. I guess i'll go the #4 route then. I picture it like this:
    1. user types /Lightswitch
    2. chat says "Right click the switch you want to enable"
    3. user right clicks switch
    4. chat says "Switch accepted. Now right click the Redstone Lamps you want to wire to it - limit of [craftsman rank limit] in a range of [rank limit] blocks"
    5. user right clicks a lamp
    6. chat says "Lamp accepted. You may add more lamps or right-click the switch again to complete the circuit.
    7. chat eventually announces to all players within 20 blocks (in case the owner hired a craftsman): "The circuit is complete. If you want to break the circuit simply remove the switch from the wall"
    I'm not really sure about what limits each rank should half. When the time comes i'll do a poll with the staff.

9. Fiver26

Fiver26

• Gold
    In-Game Name:
    Fiver26
    Question though, if others wouldnt even be able to use it, whats the point? So a handful of people can now turn lights on and off, thats great. But if others just get errors? The sign idea would work because, as barry said, craftsmen place, others can click

BarryX15 likes this.
  10. zoroa_14

zoroa_14

In-Game Name:
    zoroa_14
    I think you misunderstand what btarb is saying. If I understand correctly, only craftsmen can activate light switches, but anyone can use them once they're activated. It's the same concept as a sign, only the sign is now a switch, so it looks nicer in your house.

So in essence non-craftsmen cannot use the command to create a light switch, however once a light switch has been created they are free to use the switch itself.

BarryX15 likes this.
  11. BarryX15

BarryX15

• Sponsor
    In-Game Name:
    BarryX15
    EDIT: i was slow with posting and most of my post has been made obsolete.

Does this mean that only craftsmen would be able to operate lightswitches? My idea was that craftsmen can create the switch (place a sign) and everyone can use the switch, same as with [Lift] signs. While creating the switch would need some knowledge, operating the switch would need only to know "click here".

If block updates cause issues, then i would avoid routes 1 & 3. Route 4 is too complex for simple "click here" use. Route 2 is my favorite one, easy to build and vanilla-proof, however the lever is sometimes difficult to place. One of my favorite ways to hide power source is this (levers will be hidden inside floor, see full tutorial):
    [​IMG]
    Switching just levers directly adjacent to redstone lamps would not work here. How to solve it? Operate all levers in the range regardless of the block attached?

And i still prefer signs, better combined with levers = they can be used by people who have "Use" permission.

Speaking about the range, there can be some 15 characters on one line of the sign, enough to put in 6 single or double digit numbers to specify range in all directions (North, South, East, West, Up, Down).

To finish the sign+lever idea, here is first system:

1. have a lever.
    2. have a sign placed next to it (above, under, left or right).
    3. have that sign with specific text:
    - line 1 = any text
    - line 2 = [Switch]
    - line 3 = numbers defining range in N, S, E, W, U, D directions (negative numbers possible, e.g. 5 5 5 5 -2 3 would operate all levers withing 5 blocks range in all horizontal directions, 2 to 3 blocks under the main switch)
    - line 4 = any text
    3. switching the lever will switch all levers in the range (if specified by 6 numbers) if they are in the same chunk.
    4. only craftsman can place sign with [Switch] text. Rank 1 craftsmen can specify range up to say 10 blocks, rank 2 up to 30 blocks, rank 3 up to 99 blocks.

and here is second system:

1. have a lever.
    2. have a sign placed next to it (above, under, left or right).
    3. have that sign with specific text:
    - line 1 = any text
    - line 2 = [Switch]
    - line 3 = number defining group of switches
    - line 4 = any text
    3. switching the lever will switch all levers that have a sign with the same text on line 2 and 3 next to it. Any lever of the group switches all other levers as well. Switches can be in all chunks, maximum distance is 10 blocks for Rank1, 30 blocks for Rank 2, 99 blocks for Rank 3 craftsman.
    4. only craftsman can place sign with [Switch] text. There cannot be another system of levers with the same group number within 100 blocks around.

Fiver26 likes this.
  12. Hallideadly

Hallideadly

• Sponsor
    In-Game Name:
    Hallideadly
    sounds like it is getting worked through pretty good.

Q; Once a lamp has been (clicked) to a switch is it possible to assign another switch to the same lamp, or will it over-ride the first command, or will it be an error as the lamp is already assigned?

: Is it possible to link switches to switches, IE; Switch (A) operates lamps 1, 2, 3 ,and Switch (B) operates lamps 4, 5, 6. Switch (C) operates Switches (A), (B)?

13. btarb24

btarb24

• Developer
    • Sponsor
    In-Game Name:
    btarb24
    I doubt i'll code in check to link a lamp to a single switch. Linking a lamp to two switches would be fine. Whichever switch you hit last would be the one that affects the state of the lamp. I won't be coding in logic for 3 way switching.

I didn't plan on it, but it wouldn't be too hard. My concern with this would be that it may add too much complexity for everyone to intuitively know what will happen. I'll ponder the idea though. I suppose non-advanced users wouldn't try to link switches anyway.

I see people making trap doors in the floor and other mischevious wizardy with that.

It wasn't your intention, but i think you made a strong case toward using the 'click to choose your lamp' aproach. I know I've personally had to go to the forum and lookup how exactly you have to type things to make a lift sign work. It's a bit of a pain and not fully intuitive unless you've memorized it. I foresee the same problem happening if we make people type out a sign with a string of numbers in an arbitrary order such as 5 1 4 3 -4 7. The ' click to choose lamp' approach will walk you through the process as you go, so all you need to remember is /lightswitch.

The lightswitch thing wouldn't get implemented until after your permissions suggestion was implemented. For others.. Barry's permission idea was to split our current USE permission into 2 separate new permissions. The idea is you may want people to open your doors to explore, but not be able to take things from your chests or steal your horses. Current rough sketch of new permissions:
    • Edit = placing and breaking blocks, including water buckets, redstone changes, sensor modes
    • Manage = opening chests, furnaces, droppers, hoppers, (dispensers), mounting horses
    • Operate = opening doors and fence gates, switching pressure plates, buttons, levers, placing vehicles
    • View = walking over plot
    Still unsure of names. a couple other thoughts were: Edit,Use,Switch,Access || Edit, Take, Use, View. Anyone have any other ideas or thoughts for naming these?

Driver_X, BarryX15 and CiljaW like this.
  14. zoroa_14

zoroa_14

In-Game Name:
    zoroa_14
    Don't know what you guys think but I like:
    Edit: Make changes to terrain.
    Interact: Use plot owners private items.
    Entry: Use doors, gates, plates, switches to enter and explore house.
    View: Step on plot, explore outside of building.

BarryX15 and btarb24 like this.
  15. BarryX15

BarryX15

• Sponsor
    In-Game Name:
    BarryX15

So if Halli wants to have a lever operated by a lever, the concern is complexity of use, and if i want to have a lever operated by a lever, the concern is abuse? Mischievous wizardry is already possible with redstone wiring, just cannot be placed where it would need too much space for hidden wires :)
    (i had an idea for a honey house trap which never made it to forums, using trapped chest wired to pistons to make people fall through floor into hidden underground water pool with few signs telling them why they ended up down there, all guarded by protection stone, which would need that old-style protection stone behavior e.g. against breaking blocks, but not against switching)

What if we extend this to have proper "WiRe" = Wireless Redstone?
    e.g. shorten the /lightswitch command to /switch command, allow "master" element to be either redstone torch or a lever, and "slave" elements to be levers.

zoroa_14 likes this.
  16. btarb24

btarb24

• Developer
    • Sponsor
    In-Game Name:
    btarb24
    Good point. Halli had framed his proposal in a way that didn't make my mind think the switch could be used for anything other than lights. Linked switches will not be coded :)

WiRe = a cute name :) The /switch concept is nice, but i think it adds too much complexity for this situation. Perhaps it could be added in the future as a separate command, but to start with i think it'd be best to keep the process of making a light switch as simple as possible.

BarryX15 likes this.
  17. RenegadeLuke

RenegadeLuke

I agree with barry's idea about lightswitch signs, that would be a very cool/new addition to the server.

18. Hallideadly

Hallideadly

• Sponsor
    In-Game Name:
    Hallideadly
    sry, my intention was to use them for an archery range. Lamps are lit when targets are hit, thusly one lever to clear them when the player is done would be nice, although what happens to the targets that were not hit, would those lamps light up when I use the lever?

I can do it another way using nor switches, just a little cumbersome to build around when targets are near each other, and I do want to make a compact version of the archery. The one I made last map worked pretty good, minimal maintenance required, and it gave rewards/target hit. :) I might just stick to that way with the droppers and item drop de-spawn timer as the target resets. Only problem with that is it puts the player on a time restraint to get all targets lit at once. Which puts me back to a nor switch, LOL