1. Play on the ImDeity Minecraft Multiplayer server -- Goto the "Multiplayer" section of Minecraft and type "mc.imdeity.com" to join!
    Dismiss Notice

Events Re-Invented | New, Shining, Shimmering and Splendid

Discussion in 'Suggestions / Ideas' started by Jackyoung999, April 6, 2014.

?

Events Re-Invented

1. YES

34 vote(s)
    69.4%
  2. NO

15 vote(s)
    30.6%
  1. gpekic

gpekic

• Vip
    In-Game Name:
    gpekic
    Little changes obviously aren't working, i didn't see a growth in players for months now, only a continued decrease in the population on ImDeity

We need 1 big push, and that will work

2. Typodestoyer

Typodestoyer

In-Game Name:
    Typodestoyer
    First of all, seriously. You base that because 80% of the people on the servers on which you play enjoy SG, that that is a completely accurate representation of the entire Minecraft community? I want to go all statistics on you right now because that is a biased sample.
    I won't deny that recently, the number of players has been lower. For whatever reason. However, this is not a result of a "constant decrease". Just a few months ago we had over 70 people on on the weekends consistently. The population fluctuates, and is at a low point currently. Also, you forget that the small changes also cause improvements to the server. I mean, you sure were happy when FTB came out. Did that little change actually HARM the server? Because that is what you are saying- that it was a waste of time, as it is a small change compared to this, and while it doesn't attract players, it certainly improves their ImDeity experience. The goal of this server, I believe, isn't to have a lot of people, it is to help make Minecraft enjoyable. You still haven't explained how SG and minigames are worth the work, other than "it will probably entice people to play here" without any real reasons that anyone would come here for SG. Lets say that SG, as this has been the topic of conversation recently, gets added. Woo. We have it. Anyone who wants to play SG? Could go on another 500 servers, such as the ones with over 10k people that you mentioned. We would not be able to dedicate the time that they can, because they are focused on it and we aren't. ImDeity succeeds because it doesn't try to compete- it is different enough that you cannot experience the feeling of ImDeity elsewhere (eg custom kingdoms plugin, PvP and spleef events, custom creative world, FTB server, closely knit community)
    NOTE: I STILL AGREE THAT EVENTS NEED TO BE EMPHASIZED. Automation of some things like 1v1s and autospleef would be cool and not that hard to implement. However, this complete redesign would take too much work without any insurance that it would succeed, other than "it has elsewhere". We only see the successful minigames servers, not the ones that try and fail, so we have no way of knowing which category we will fall under.

3. gpekic

gpekic

• Vip
    In-Game Name:
    gpekic
    Ugh, i'm done here, you are so damn hardheaded... If you want to discuss this further just ask Heinz, he knows how to bring up facts better then me...

4. tefphoenix

tefphoenix

• Sponsor
    In-Game Name:
    tefphoenix
    I think everyone would agree that all wish to keep Minecraft enjoyable; but having more people to meet and interact with doesn't make Minecraft less enjoyable. For example: Merchants do better when there are more people to utilize their shops/auctions. War is available more often when more people are on to play and more enjoyable with more players

Last edited: April 9, 2014
    heinz_gruber likes this.
  5. Typodestoyer

Typodestoyer

In-Game Name:
    Typodestoyer
    I don't deny that. I simply ask if this extensive minigames idea is the best way to accomplish that. Other minigames servers are not successful just because they have minigames- they also spend a lot of money, and have a lot more people working on it than Deity likely ever will. I agree that the server should try to expand- however, I believe there are other more important things than a minigame server that would also take less time and development :)

6. heinz_gruber

heinz_gruber

• Sponsor
    In-Game Name:
    heinz_gruber
    It doesnt matter if games are the way forward or not, the point is Deity server would stand a much better chance of getting more players if it appealed to a larger audience, nuff said.

But i will leave it entirely upto Deity, But i will still give my ideas and opinions, however you both are not english, you do not come online at the times i do when the server is completely dead. So i wouldnt expect you to understand how i feel. I sponsored the server to help it, i donated for my alt accounts and now i feel like it is going stale. thats just my thought, but according to Dragon and Typo my opinion is invalid.

7. Typodestoyer

Typodestoyer

In-Game Name:
    Typodestoyer
    I have never said anything like "your opinion is invalid". I simply do not feel that you understand the time that this would take to complete, and what, in "Deity work time", it would cost the server. I understand that the server is often devoid of people. However, I feel that that is not a general trend and has been true only very recently, but, for whatever reason, people are busy right now, be it the spring vacation that is keeping some people away or some unknown reason. Appealing to a larger audience would get Deity a chance- but in the end, that is all it is, a chance. How long do you expect this change to take? For the rank two classes, for example, it took over a year to be implemented, and even then it already had the baseline laid down for it to be put into place. This idea would take just as long, and is a lot more work than adding rank 2 classes. It absolutely does matter if games are the way forward, because if Deity spends a ton of time coding it, working hard, and it doesn't pan out, that will be so much progression time wasted that could have been well-utilized elsewhere. It is a risk to do that, and we would lose a lot of players over the time that it would take to design it, code it, and put it into place. Getting new players is a very good thing- however, keeping the ones we have interested is more important, and this would take too long to complete to be practical.
    Do note: I would absolutely love an ImDeity minigames server. It would be great for the server and a ton of fun. However, I am not an idealist; I do not say "it should be this way". I say "It is this way, and can be this way, but this will happen" etc etc etc. It is not something that Deity can just go "boom, done". It requires a dedication to it by everyone, and we would lose even more players in the time that the small changes stop occurring. I mean, if these small changes aren't working, then no changes for a long time sure as hell won't work either.

8. heinz_gruber

heinz_gruber

• Sponsor
    In-Game Name:
    heinz_gruber

}I have no expectations, only suggestions. Accept them or dont, you voted no, thats fine i respect your choice, but you need to be more sympathetic towards other players who dont see things the same as you do.

9. zerospookyvortex

zerospookyvortex

I didn't read all of those long posts (too much work) but I agree and disagree with this idea. I think that Imdeity should expand on events, mainly the ones it already has that are unique too it. I for one started playing Imdeity because of these things, and still usually only do them and mostly nothing else. Although I don't think it should expand into new mini games like super smash bros and hunger games. If people are really begging for these then go play them on their respective servers. Imdeity is great how it is and it will always keep improving, but I think that it shouldn't change.

10. Typodestoyer

Typodestoyer

In-Game Name:
    Typodestoyer
    Amen.
    Sympathetic? How is criticizing an idea a lack of sympathy? I only "attacked" your idea, never making it a personal attack, although I might have had some "ad hominem"istic feelings (judging because of what they do/believe) whereas I have now been personally attacked directly by you, twice, the first of which you said was a joke (and probably was) and the second of which is on this thread and a direct insult to my opinions. You claimed that I acted as though your idea had no place, which is completely false and an insult to the way I chose to tactfully respond to your posts, even though I truly wanted to do many other things. Had I chosen to do what you claimed that I did, I'd be forumbanned, maybe temporarily if I was lucky. I'm sorry if I seem a little bit unsympathetic towards you, but sympathy works two ways, and I sure as hell don't feel sympathy coming to me from you to my ideas and feelings.

11. heinz_gruber

heinz_gruber

• Sponsor
    In-Game Name:
    heinz_gruber
    We already are more than happy to go play on other servers.

The point you seem to miss is that if we go so do our friends. It isnt our loss. It is yours.

I am sure the Server will continue just fine without us.

12. Typodestoyer

Typodestoyer

In-Game Name:
    Typodestoyer
    It isn't a bad thing if you play on other servers! ImDeity is not and does not try to be the best in every way! The server WILL continue fine if you play Survival Games somewhere else! Why is that a problem?! xD the fact that you will play SG on another server is not such a travesty that the months of work it would take to develop the plugins and code for it all is worth it.

13. Jackyoung999

Jackyoung999

In-Game Name:
    SirHandsomeJack
    The DeityGames has already been coded, it just needs updating to the current version etc. (As Vershye previously stated)
    DeityWars has already been coded, it just needs to be 24/7 etc etc
    DeitySpleef has already been coded, just needs to support more than two players and update to current version etc

three plugins ready to go.

heinz_gruber likes this.
  14. heinz_gruber

heinz_gruber

• Sponsor
    In-Game Name:
    heinz_gruber
    We do not decide, Deity does, So stop arguing with us, you have voted and said your piece. let the chips fall where they may.

But if players start going to other servers they may never come back. If the server is so rigid to change thats fine, but just because you disagree does not mean to say whether an idea is bad or not, just your opinion.

The whole point of this was to gauge everyone opinions, but you insist that ours are invalid by keep saying "minigames will never work here and will not bring in more players or help in any way whatsoever" When you do not know this for a fact (unhelpful much)

Jackyoung999 likes this.
  15. Typodestoyer

Typodestoyer

In-Game Name:
    Typodestoyer
    I AM NOT SAYING THAT THEY WILL NOT WORK DAMMIT
    I am simply saying that they will take a long time to refine, and we will lose players in this period of time that it takes to make.
    Jack, if it is that simple, then that would be great. That is all I will say, though.
    Lastly, Heinz,
    If you want me to stop arguing, don't say "Okay, we agree to disagree, but don't forget that I'm right." Saying "stop arguing, but <point about why I'm right>", as it is not a way to end an argument if you want to.

16. gpekic

gpekic

• Vip
    In-Game Name:
    gpekic
    You didn't have to reply to that. could have just left it there, problem solved, but you still speak up, not even caring that you don't want to argue... you are thinking too highly of yourself, that's a bad habit, now, if you want this damn argument to end, stop posting here, as Heinz said, you already posted your opinion here, we don't need to hear any more, thank you

17. Typodestoyer

Typodestoyer

In-Game Name:
    Typodestoyer
    I couldn't care less if you don't want to hear my opinion. I damn well have the right to reply to that when he provokes my by saying what he did. I have simply stated that if his motive were simply to end the argument, it would have been counterproductive to add that last statement. I have stated my piece, as has he, but he simply must have the last word and fails to demonstrate his understanding of what an argument being "over" means. I have said my piece, and as long as you people continue to scold me for my manner or ideals, or continue to argue after all has been said, I will continue to say it.

18. Mojinax

Mojinax

• VIP
    In-Game Name:
    Mojinax
    Ending an argument is carried out by one person. In this situation, it's you. There's no right between the both of you - you're deviating from the original point of the post and making it a personal and public issue, and straying from the family-friendly policy. If people disagree with you - that's it. They read your post, observed your counter-argument, and have their own opinion. You can't beat yours into them, and frankly it just looks bad if you try to. Takes away from your argument. You said it yourself - you have nothing left to argue, and most of your replies are simply a redundant statement that could be picked out in earlier replies or your initial post. Just don't send another reply.

And please stop throwing around the word "damn"... I swear like a sailor, but I check myself on this server and website. For the family-friendly part and also for reputation. When you curse, you show immaturity or stress/anger (which is not good to show on the internet). Do what you want - I'm just trying to help you out.

gpekic likes this.
  19. SaintThunder

SaintThunder

• Sponsor
    In-Game Name:
    SaintThunder
    So yeah. A lot of things have happened in this thread. I am going to be completely honest, after the first page, my head started to hurt, and so I just started skimming posts. I did notice a few things and would like to point them out, as sort of a guiding hand.

So basically in this type of thread everyone falls upon the spectrum that looks a little like this: For----Indifferent----Against

Everyone has a role here. The people who are for the idea are the idea bringers. They are the ones who are imagining and creating everything that will help this idea be successful. Those players that are against the idea really have one role to play beyond posting their opposition, and that is keeping the "for" people's ideas relevant and doable. The againsters have to keep the forers from dreaming too far outside the pasture. The cold hard fact is that things come down to a Deity decision. On the flip side, for a decision like this, nothing will happen/change if there isn't an adequate amount of effort put in by the players. Deity and staff won't put in 100% of the effort to make these ideas real, and thankfully the vast majority of you all know this. It is much more likely that Deity will provide a server/place for these games/minigames to occur once a good ground exists to stand upon, usually including the games (their plugins), maps for the games, and easy automation. Oh, the understanding that if something breaks, it breaks, and we can't/won't do anything about it is also helpful.

Some of you may be thinking, "if I am against the idea, why would I help by keeping them on track?" The answer is because in the suggestions forum, the hope is that all ideas are great and will be in a position to get accepted. Those ideas may be theirs, but they may also be yours. And come time for your suggestion to meet the hounds, you will want the backing of everyone you possibly can get to help make the suggestion as amazing as it possibly can be. We all have different opinions, but that does not mean that we cannot work together to make something good out of it. That, and it also cuts down on personal arguments and the amount of direct moderation that needs to be done. Thanks for the understanding, everyone! :D

Now, topic relevant. I know that part of the reason DeityWar isn't all that played anymore is because you have to either memorize the times and only get on then, or already be on the server in order to play the game. Because so few people are actually willing to do that by having their building/adventure time interrupted, it sees fewer and fewer people. This was a similar problem with DeityGames towards the end. However, if you could get on the server and pop right into a game, that would be a lot easier for many people, and probably retain a few more players from the current population. Minigames also make great 5-10 minute breaks from a build project or just waiting for someone to get online. Larger games like the DeityGames and DeityWar work a lot better for when you have a half hour to play but don't have time for anything else. Heck, throw in Taco's Mineopoly if he'd be willing to have it included (sorry for putting you on the spot, Taco), and I'm sure the people for this idea can think of a few more games to throw in.

The cold hard fact is that, aside from the fact we don't have any of these installed, is that the only thing preventing us from doing most of this is that we don't have the players for it. Get some minigames going, though, and as more and more people come to play, more and more things can be added/unlocked. I know it was mentioned that come 1.8 a plugin won't necessarily be needed for Survival Games, and I would imagine a couple other games would only need command blocks as well. As excited as some people are by the possible return of the survival games, I would recommend directing focus on the minigames, the games that can be completed in 5-10 minutes. Find the plugins, make the maps, schematic those maps, put it all in a nice neat bundle, and as popularity for that grows, so too will the games. The highscore/scoring tables are easy to make, but that would be the only incentive to playing in the beginning. Cook up some ideas to hold in the background for if/when more players arrive.

This has been a "Give-em-hope" message by SaintThunder. Because by the power of the Immortal Deity above, I ain't doing any more work on this at this time :p I would be interested in map creation for things, but I guarantee nothing.

Stephfork, Driver_X and Jackyoung999 like this.
  20. ooopsy10975

ooopsy10975

In-Game Name:
    ooopsy10975
    If the server implemented mini games, for sure, the server would grab more people's attention. We all say that the server needs more players, and how the server isn't as good as it once was before, but would more players actually be a good thing? If you didn't know, the demeanour of those people who only stick to mini games are far different from the that of the people in the community in our server currently. If Deity does choose to implement mini games, we should be wary that we would be getting a whole different type of crowd. Those that play mini games outside of Imdeity should know. Do we really need that kind of people in a community server? It would be a like a huge stadium packed with people who don't care who the heck is sitting next to him or her that just want to watch the game, next to a small building that hosts chess tournaments where the people actually want to get to know each other. That's my couple of quarters on this topic (or however that saying goes).