1. Play on the ImDeity Minecraft Multiplayer server -- Goto the "Multiplayer" section of Minecraft and type "mc.imdeity.com" to join!
    Dismiss Notice

Dev update 4.17.2015 (Stones, Permissions, Town Add, Commands)

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by btarb24, April 18, 2015.

1. btarb24

btarb24

• Developer
    • Sponsor
    In-Game Name:
    btarb24
    Horses
    • You're now dismounted on logout and switching worlds. This will save your horse from vanishing
    • /horse beckon - summons a horse to you if it's within 15 blocks and you own it. The intent is to rescue horses trapped on protected plots.
    • Test ride horses are now removed if you manage to die while on one
    Town Add
    • You must now be within 150 blocks of your town spawn in order to use the command (and 10 blocks of the player you're inviting)
    Commands
    • The help systems will no longer show you commands that you do not have access to. ie.. /res help will only show 1 page of items for players not in a town instead of the total 4 pages it used to show. Players in towns do not see /t create, etc.
      • Let me know if you should see a command but do not - the restrictions were typed in manually by me.
    Plot Permissions
    • The permission/protection system was very heavily refactored. Let me know if anything is broken.
    Kingdoms
    • I moved /kingdoms request join to just be /kingdoms join
    Protection Stones
    • They're tied to chunks (and thus also town plots), so they're now 16x16 and extend from Y 0-254
    • Place a DiamondBlock to create a protection field
    • Break the block to remove the field or type /stone toggle to disable it but leave the stone.
    • You can add/remove friends to a stone via: /stone allow /stone allowall /stone deny /stone denyall
    • /stone setY will let you customize the Y levels that are protected. ie: /stone setY 50-53 will protect 50, 51, 52, 53. All other heights in the chunk will be unprotected
    • Only one stone can be active per chunk
    • Stones can be removed by the owner, server staff, or the mayor (if you placed a stone on a town plot).
      • If a stone is removed by a non-owner then the owner will be sent a /mail to inform them of who did it.
    • You can use /stone list and /stone navigate to have a compass guide you to your stones.
    • /stone info will show you info about the chunk you're on.
    Protection Stone Amounts
    Sponsor: 15
    Diamond: 6
    Gold: 2
    Vip: 0

Last edited by a moderator: August 25, 2015
  2. cobrex_II

cobrex_II

Hi Btarb, I know this isn't to do with the above updates but /res ledger and /t ledger are both not working :(

3. BarryX15

BarryX15

• Sponsor
    In-Game Name:
    BarryX15
    There are advanced players who are not mayors but they can advice new mayors. This means that if they want/check a command they have no access to they have to open a wiki and look for commands in the wiki = slowing down the process.
    Suggestion: /res help -o [pagenumber] should show all commands, same for /t help, /plot help and /k help (we are used to use -o parameter with /t info or /res info).

- What kind of actions are allowed in a protected area, and what kind of actions are allowed for "stone friendlist" ? (e.g. Edit/Use/Access/etc?)
    - If i place a diamond block in a chunk and toggle it off, can i place another diamond block after?
    - If yes, which one is activated if i toggle it on? (suggestion: determine by a distance - the command should work on the closest diamond block in that chunk)

EDIT (stone plugin review):
    - The protected area is smaller (16x16 compared to old 25x25), even if compensated with more stones (15 for sponsors compared to old 9), giving an ability to cover roughly 2/3 of the old area.
    - The "stone friendlist" allows people on the friendlist to break all blocks including the stone itself. If that happens, the owner gets a mail, but there is no indication about which stone has been destroyed (XYZ coords would be enough).
    - The stone itself prevents all actions: placing/breaking blocks, opening doors and chests, switching switches, levers, pressure plates, etc. Pressure plates spam your chat screen with alerts when you stay on them. Old behavior was that stone prevented only placing/breaking blocks, because donators are given some amount of /lock for some important doors or chests. Now they can protect nearly unlimited number of chests with just one protection stone (this is how it worked in 2012 map as well).

Stone plugin opinions:
    - I like how stones fit to plots and they dont have to be on specific coordinates, this allows to use them creatively in buildings.
    - I would like to have stone protected against people added to the friendlist to prevent accidents. Eg. they can break all blocks in the protected chunk except for the stone itself.
    - I would like to have only Edit action prevented with Stone, still letting people to do Use action (opening doors, chests).

Last edited: April 18, 2015
  4. btarb24

btarb24

• Developer
    • Sponsor
    In-Game Name:
    btarb24
    ok, fair enough. I can add the -o.

For non-friends it is only /access (walking on plot). For friends, it is anything but breaking the stone itself. Note that it will still check kingdoms perms.. so if you put a stone on a private plot, the friend will still not be able to access the plot.

Yes, only active stones count toward your limit. If you place an invalid stone then it will just tell you in chat that the stone was ignored. Invalid stones are:
    • Where you already have another stone placed.
    • Where someone else has a stone placed.
    • When you are already at your limit of stones.
    I only store the 'non-ignored' stones in the database. ie.. if it tells you it was ignored when you place it then it is impossible to make it an active stone. Each chunk(plot) can only have 1 stone in the database at a time. You'd have to break the non-ignored stone in order to move it to a different location on the plot.

5. BarryX15

BarryX15

• Sponsor
    In-Game Name:
    BarryX15
    Tested - people on the "stone friendlist" can break the stone atm. I also edited my previous post.

6. btarb24

btarb24

• Developer
    • Sponsor
    In-Game Name:
    btarb24
    The new blocks protect from 0-254 whereas the last ones only protected for 25 blocks in each vertical direction from the stone.
    16*16*254 = 65024
    25*25*50 = 31250
    So actually, you now get twice the amount of protected area per block than you used to get. But Regardless of that. 15 blocks seems like plenty :)

i'll fix it so friends cant break the stone. And i'll add coords to the mail.
    It seems to me that full protection of all chests, doors, etc in the stone area is more intuitive. What do others think?

:)
    This will be fixed soon
    What is the scenario where you see people needing Use? My thoughts are that if i place a stone then others shouldn't be able to customize my redstone, spin things in my frames, open all my 'shutters' etc. I don't think adding Use by default is an intuitive route. Though, I could do a /stone set permission so that each stone can block up to a certain permission level.. ie, set it so others have Access, set it so others have access + use, set it so others have access + use +edit (albeit pointless). With your new 'switch' permission idea i think this would work well. I'll make a note to add it, but not until after i finish creative (and the new switch permission you suggested).

7. BriarRose

BriarRose

• Sponsor
    In-Game Name:
    BriarRose00
    Full protection for everything is preferable because if I do use a Protection stone then I am trying to prevent others from griefing a area or build. That includes all objects and items in the area.

8. BarryX15

BarryX15

• Sponsor
    In-Game Name:
    BarryX15
    Protection stones are here to prevent from griefing = actions under "Edit" permissions. There is no doubt about that.
    On the other hand, opening doors and chests should not be protected by protection stones - donators have locks for that.

I want to have a place where a selected group of people can open doors and chests but nobody can break blocks (even by accident). So i need something that allows people to "Use" but doesnt allow them to "Edit" and protection stone combined with town plot was the best (and only) way to do it.

9. btarb24

btarb24

• Developer
    • Sponsor
    In-Game Name:
    btarb24
    People will have differing views on what a stone should protect. I'll make it customizable in a few weeks.

heinz_gruber and BarryX15 like this.
  10. lmvvml

lmvvml

• Sponsor
    In-Game Name:
    lmvvml
    There's a practical reason to tie the stones to chunks? I was confused by this, trying to protect my building.

11. btarb24

btarb24

• Developer
    • Sponsor
    In-Game Name:
    btarb24
    It seemed a logical choice to me. The rest of our protection system and town management system is all linked to chunks. It also made it more intuitive and easier to code for having mayors be able to remove stones placed by residents (if necessary). I'll agree that using chunks in the wild is less intuive since most wild-buildiers are not in tune with chunk alignment while building.

heinz_gruber likes this.