1. Play on the ImDeity Minecraft Multiplayer server -- Goto the "Multiplayer" section of Minecraft and type "mc.imdeity.com" to join!
    Dismiss Notice

1.8 Update?

Discussion in 'Kingdoms General' started by smcallah, August 29, 2014.

1. smcallah

smcallah

• Administrator
    In-Game Name:
    smcallah
    I'm sure many of you will have that question. When will the server update to 1.8 after it becomes available? 1.8 client will probably be released next week. It is in Pre-release now, so they're just fixing bugs before the official release.

As for the server, the server runs on Spigot, a modified, for performance, version of CraftBukkit.

The current volunteer team for Bukkit said they are no longer going to update Bukkit after 1.7.9, and Bukkit is dead. However, Mojang bought Bukkit 2 years ago, and these volunteers were just working on it, so they have no control of its death.

Dinnerbone, the Mojang programmer that also first created Bukkit, has announced that he will personally update Bukkit to 1.8.

What does this mean for the ImDeity server updating to 1.8? Probably a lot. First, updating Bukkit to 1.8 will probably take a while with, supposedly, 1 person working on it. The Bukkit update to 1.7 took longer than any update before it and that was still with a team of volunteers working on it. 1.8 introduces a ton of changes to the underlying Minecraft engine as well as other things. So not only may this update take longer than 1.7, based just on the new stuff, it will possibly take longer because of just one person working on it. There is always the possibility that it can get done faster, since the guy working on it actually works for Mojang and knows the inner workings of Minecraft code, which Bukkit developers usually had to discover on their own. But I am preparing everyone for the worst outcome, a long wait until 1.8 features are on the server. Note: it took over 60 days before ImDeity was updated to 1.7 after the official release of 1.7.

Also, Spigot may be up in the air since they depend on the Bukkit code to make their version of the server. So if Mojang is not forthcoming with the code to them, it may take longer to get a working version of Spigot, if at all. Spigot is important for its performance increasing abilities, many large servers use this instead of CraftBukkit.

On top of Bukkit being updated to 1.8, many plugins will also have to be updated to support the new Bukkit and that may make the wait even longer depending on how important the plugin is.

2. heinz_gruber

heinz_gruber

• Sponsor
    In-Game Name:
    heinz_gruber
    I am excited to see what happens. xD

Mightytitans and asdfjkll like this.
  3. melvin484

melvin484

In-Game Name:
    TwitchyCake
    aw poo :(

well, time to hibernate *goes under a cold rock and rolls into a ball and sleeps*

4. BarryX15

BarryX15

• Sponsor
    In-Game Name:
    BarryX15
    Bad news is better than no news, we had patience with 1.7 too. I am looking forward to have 1.8 on ImDeity as a christmas present.

5. Brytton

Brytton

• Vip
    In-Game Name:
    bryttonmp5
    blah, doesn't change much for us anyways :D still nuff to do.

BarryX15 likes this.
  6. The_Yogs

The_Yogs

• Sponsor
    In-Game Name:
    The_Yogs
    It could be a totally different story though. Dinnerbone may already have a Craftbukkit ready to go on day 1.

1.8 has been the longest update for Mojang.

7. heinz_gruber

heinz_gruber

• Sponsor
    In-Game Name:
    heinz_gruber
    Why do i have Zero faith in Dinnerbone? Because he lies!

melvin484 likes this.
  8. cliff777

cliff777

• Gold
    In-Game Name:
    cliff777
    I heard that Spigot may have a protocol patch ready a few days after 1.8 is officially released, meaning we could play using 1.8, but none of the new features would be usable until the real 1.8 Spigot version is released.

9. smcallah

smcallah

• Administrator
    In-Game Name:
    smcallah
    Yeah, they pretty much always have that. But it's really not the greatest feature at this point. It was great when it was difficult to change back to previous versions of Minecraft if you accidentally updated. But now it is so easy to choose the version of Minecraft you want to play that it doesn't hinder servers much with losing players after updates.

10. smcallah

smcallah

• Administrator
    In-Game Name:
    smcallah
    Since he's been working on the real 1.8 this whole time (and 1.9 as well) and didn't know until last week that Bukkit was going to "shut down," I don't see how he could have it ready on day one.

11. The_Yogs

The_Yogs

• Sponsor
    In-Game Name:
    The_Yogs
    Ah, I thought he was more in the loop with bukkit staff.
    Perhaps they may delay the official release now - to secure time for bukkit development?

Mightytitans and asdfjkll like this.
  12. Honeydewx3

Honeydewx3

• Vip
    In-Game Name:
    Honeydewx3
    As you said, the main issue is that plugins won't be updated unless they have already sorted that out like you guys have been talking, but I personally think that we should hold off from 1.8 ( sorry to all you bunny lovers ) but there might be large problems with 1.8, so we need to wait until we know that is fully functional with plugins.

13. Vershye

Vershye

• Senior Moderator
    • Diamond
    In-Game Name:
    Vershye
    Sooo, you mean you think we should do exactly what smc said we'll be doing? Which is what we do for all the Minecraft updates. Good Idea! o_O

14. Honeydewx3

Honeydewx3

• Vip
    In-Game Name:
    Honeydewx3
    Yeah, but because it's been such a large and long update as we said, we should gold off for a while.

melvin484 likes this.
  15. Majora_Unmasked

Majora_Unmasked

• Gold
    In-Game Name:
    aCrowLookedAtMe
    [​IMG]

cliff777, melvin484 and heinz_gruber like this.
  16. Honeydewx3

Honeydewx3

• Vip
    In-Game Name:
    Honeydewx3
    My sarcasm meter is going off the radar!

17. legoazurp

legoazurp

• Vip
    In-Game Name:
    LEGOAP
    So you are saying that we might have to wait for some time after 1.8 comes out, well that isn't a surprise we always wait after every update because of stuff, we all know what stuff it is, we all know that it takes time to do the stuff and we are all used to it :)

18. Vershye

Vershye

• Senior Moderator
    • Diamond
    In-Game Name:
    Vershye
    [​IMG]

19. Hallideadly

Hallideadly

• Sponsor
    In-Game Name:
    Hallideadly
    ^ HA..

Do we hear faint echoes of a main world reset for the update. ( rumor mill churning ) . Not gonna happen , specially since update could have issues. Just a fanciful dream.

20. Honeydewx3

Honeydewx3

• Vip
    In-Game Name:
    Honeydewx3
    I have heard them rumors aswell, I have also developed a fear that Versh is going to quote everything I say. >.> - looks over shoulder...